Ronald de Boer on the surreal Rangers and Celtic chaos that 'family day trip' El Clasico simply couldn't match

What a player him and his brother were. He wasn't far behind gazza in the 'i can't believe we have signed him' bracket.

Proper jealous of the players that folks seen playing in a Rangers strip back in those days compared to some of the dross we've had in the 10 or so years that I've supported them.

I’m sad and jealous of those that got to see the likes of Cooper etc as they were just a bit before my time but then I realise I grew up in the Laudrup/Gazza/Albertz era and didn’t realise how lucky I was!

I mind getting Andy Little to sign my strip at Montrose.. Was well delighted. Can't imagine seeing the likes of Gazza and Laudrup strolling off the bus

I’m lucky to have met them both and have got them to sign my tops while they played for us, still two of my most prized possessions which I’ll hand down to my wee boy (who just got a personalized signed top from Tav last week which is not quite as good but still pretty good :D)

I mind getting Andy Little to sign my strip at Montrose.. Was well delighted. Can't imagine seeing the likes of Gazza and Laudrup strolling off the bus
Christ, I can't imagine that being my intro to being a Rangers fan. I grew up with the likes of Gough, McCoist and the rest of the 9 in a row team. I hope we'll see similar in the future.

This thread reminds me how spoiled I was as a child and then my teens watching the famous.

Took it for granted seeing players like de Boer every week.

Remember one game he got pelters from the East Enclosure because he didn’t chase a long ball that went out for a throw.
He just stood giving all the angry Bears a look that said “I’m Ronald de Boer, I’ll decide when I should run”.

What a player he was! Who was it he scored against at Ibrox where he cut in from the left and twisted and turned until he essentially had the defender running in the opposite direction as he curled a daisy cutter into the bottom corner? Might have been Killie at Ibrox.

I always loved his goal and celebration when McCann crossed to him at Ibrox and he finished with a side foot volley past Douglas. Goes without saying I loved his equaliser at the piggery too where you can still see the tarriars going tono celebrating their own goal as De Boer’s header hits the net (another sublime McCann cross incidentally).
That goal against Kilmarnock was voted Goal of the Season by Gers fans.

When informed that he had scored Goal of the Season RdB nodded sagely but then asked - with that trademark qizzical look - " Yesh, of coursh, but which goal was it?"

Me and my brother nicknamed him 'I, Ronald de Boer' after reading an interview with an Ajax player who had found him in the dressing room at half time staring at the floor and shaking his head in disbelief. (Ronald had made a rare mistake during the first half.)

"How could I, Ronald de Boer, have done such a thing?"

He was a polished gem of a footballer.

What a player he was! Who was it he scored against at Ibrox where he cut in from the left and twisted and turned until he essentially had the defender running in the opposite direction as he curled a daisy cutter into the bottom corner? Might have been Killie at Ibrox.

I always loved his goal and celebration when McCann crossed to him at Ibrox and he finished with a side foot volley past Douglas. Goes without saying I loved his equaliser at the piggery too where you can still see the tarriars going tono celebrating their own goal as De Boer’s header hits the net (another sublime McCann cross incidentally).

Rangers 6 Killie 1. Beautiful player.

Surprised he can still walk after that Brutal tackle from Balde, when he went straight through the back of him at waist height !
I still wince at the thought of it.

That goal against Kilmarnock was voted Goal of the Season by Gers fans.

When informed that he had scored Goal of the Season RdB nodded sagely but then asked - with that trademark qizzical look - " Yesh, of coursh, but which goal was it?"

Me and my brother nicknamed him 'I, Ronald de Boer' after reading an interview with an Ajax player who had found him in the dressing room at half time staring at the floor and shaking his head in disbelief. (Ronald had made a rare mistake during the first half.)

"How could I, Ronald de Boer, have done such a thing?"

He was a polished gem of a footballer.
"The Feyenoord fans say they hate me because I'm arrogant. Actually, they hate me because I'm so good"

:D

Back