Ronaldinho vs Chelsea

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
One of my all time favourite non-Rangers goals. I always like goals that are like nothing you’ve really seen before and that show real creativity and genius. I think this one falls into that category, that Chelsea team were brilliant by the way, well drilled and defensively solid, it was peak Mourinho. So to the get the ball past them by shaping as if you’re about to thread a pass through to the runners, and to have the defenders all scurrying to plug the gaps and cover the runs for the seemingly impending pass, then out of nowhere just toe the ball through a small gap and right into the corner, was sensational.

It was a bit like a magic trick in terms of tricking the audience into thinking they were about to see something other than what actually unfolded. Ridiculous player in his all too short prime.

It was incredible. At that time he was just an absolute joy to watch. I think “all to short prime” sums it up sadly.
I wish these guys could understand the joy they bring us and see out their careers in top form!
It’s part of the reason I love Neymar just now. Forget all the other stuff, he’s one of the few true entertainers and his skills and ball manipulation should be appreciated.
But aye, Dinho was special and that goal was gobsmacking at the time. Great goal and great game.

It was incredible. At that time he was just an absolute joy to watch. I think “all to short prime” sums it up sadly.
I wish these guys could understand the joy they bring us and see out their careers in top form!
It’s part of the reason I love Neymar just now. Forget all the other stuff, he’s one of the few true entertainers and his skills and ball manipulation should be appreciated.
But aye, Dinho was special and that goal was gobsmacking at the time. Great goal and great game.

Definitely, the speed of thought in that goal is incredible too, I mean it all happens in a couple of seconds. RE Neymar, I think he’s brilliant to watch and I love that he tries all the flicks and tricks that many consider disrespectful and so on, it’s great entertainment and I can’t understand anyone who doesn’t want to see the most gifted players show their talent off in the most ostentatious manner.

That being said he is a right unlikeable wee fanny too, it was tough to dislike Ronaldinho because he didn’t have the constant urge to dive that Neymar has, and he also played with a big grin in his face and to the best of my knowledge never asked for time off so he could sling one up his sibling :D

He simply made football fun. Just one of those rare players that had an infectious persona about him. Sublime to watch. I think because Messi and Ronaldo both arrived on the scene towards the end of his prime, it made people forget just how joyous he was to watch.

Love this goal, no back lift just sheer skill & finesse. One of these guys who genuinely treated the game, as a game.

I do it at fives & walk away pure chuffed with myself, even though in reality I’m 5 yards out & have just side footed the ball....

Watching that clip it was actually better than I remembered, I had in my mind he was only stood up by one defender.

Sidenote, that was an excellent tie.

Last edited:
A disgusting goal. A work of genius that looks very very simple to execute but in reality almost impossible to replicate.

He’s in my top 5 all time, you can’t beat Cruyff and Maradona, but between him, Messi and, for me personally, Gazza, I would say that’s a pretty decent top 5 to have.

A sublimely talented player. He would pull off things that Messi wouldn’t even try.

It’s perhaps a shame that he didn’t apply himself more to training and lifestyle but perhaps that makes his abilities all the more incredible.

One of the guys that makes you fall in love with football.

A mate got me a ticket for that game and what a game it was! We were standing right behind the goal when that one went in. Everyone around us just stood ad applauded. Sheer class.

Not many players, especially Barca players, get a standing ovation from The Bernabeu.

This goal v Chelsea was sublime. I actually prefer his unorthodox overhead kick v Villarreal where he seemed to hit it with the opposite leg most players would.

An absolute genius who played with a smile on his face.

Not many players, especially Barca players, get a standing ovation from The Bernabeu.

This goal v Chelsea was sublime. I actually prefer his unorthodox overhead kick v Villarreal where he seemed to hit it with the opposite leg most players would.

He seemed to do tricks and feints you’d never seen anywhere before too. But yeah in terms of showmanship he was next level.

925bf217bd8643a26bd5b16e545318d7.gif

Lgeu.gif

The first time I seen that Bernabeu performance was weirdly in goal 2.

Great goal, great player and he was pumped out the cup by a great team that night.

For entertainment value he's the best to watch, that goal is one of many belters scored! he was a genius!

One of my all time favourite non-Rangers goals. I always like goals that are like nothing you’ve really seen before and that show real creativity and genius. I think this one falls into that category, that Chelsea team were brilliant by the way, well drilled and defensively solid, it was peak Mourinho. So to the get the ball past them by shaping as if you’re about to thread a pass through to the runners, and to have the defenders all scurrying to plug the gaps and cover the runs for the seemingly impending pass, then out of nowhere just toe the ball through a small gap and right into the corner, was sensational.

It was a bit like a magic trick in terms of tricking the audience into thinking they were about to see something other than what actually unfolded. Ridiculous player in his all too short prime.

An incredible strike, such a special player, he could genuinely do it all, some of the time he just couldn't be arsed, to have that talent though :)

I remember watching that game... was one of the best games I’ve seen

Ronaldinho really was a joy to watch, arguably the most talented and skilful player ever to play the game

It was his other goal against Chelsea that impressed me more, driving into the box and Terry (not exactly a wee guy) just bounces off him.

He was an absolutely incredible player at his peak. One of those players that the other team simply couldn't stop when in full flow. Which was often.

I remember watching the game where Messi came on as a sub to make his 1st team debut for Barca. Ronaldinho nursed him into the game, basically fed him for the first 10 minutes, then the two of them put on an exhibition together. And all with that big grin on his face. Magical player.

There aren't many players who do things and make you gasp then wonder how the eff they did it.
Ronaldinho was amazing, the most ridiculously talented player I've seen.
Messi is a phenomenon and CR7 is probably the best striker ever, Maradona was unbelievable - even more so when you consider he poisoned his body with the coke - Ronaldinho did things with a football I've never seen before, and he made it look bloody easy.

A disgusting goal. A work of genius that looks very very simple to execute but in reality almost impossible to replicate.

He’s in my top 5 all time, you can’t beat Cruyff and Maradona, but between him, Messi and, for me personally, Gazza, I would say that’s a pretty decent top 5 to have.

Gazza top 5 of all time? Jesus wept

Gazza top 5 of all time? Jesus wept
Yep. Jesus wasn’t weeping when I picked him either. That’s my top 5, not everyone else’s. The guy was a genius and a bloody good football player who should have been at the top for longer than he was.
I appreciate your opinion though.

Yep. Jesus wasn’t weeping when I picked him either. That’s my top 5, not everyone else’s. The guy was a genius and a bloody good football player who should have been at the top for longer than he was.
I appreciate your opinion though.
Gazza is nowhere near an all time top 5, I find it incredible anyone who watches football could hold that opinion.

Gazza is nowhere near an all time top 5, I find it incredible anyone who watches football could hold that opinion.
It’s all about opinions. I’ll stick by mine. I’m no expert right enough, I’m not a coach or a manager, just a fan. He’s MY top 5, it’s not a definitive. Obviously I don’t know enough about the game to come to that kind of conclusion.
As I say, all about opinions. I have mine and I’m happy with that.
;);)

It was his other goal against Chelsea that impressed me more, driving into the box and Terry (not exactly a wee guy) just bounces off him.

He was an absolutely incredible player at his peak. One of those players that the other team simply couldn't stop when in full flow. Which was often.
Agreed. Something that goes unnoticed often is the balance of best players. Just watch George Best. Quite incredible how he rides wild knee high tackles. Although DJ did get him at Easter Road if I remember correctly. On the ice.

Back