Ronaldo breaks Juventus record

Higuain scores 36 league goals a few years back. 25 seems a bit low for one of footballs greats!
In his final season at Napoli, 35 league games 36 league goals. The following season wiki has him 38 league games and 24 league goals for Juve.

You clearly weren’t on here in 07/08, you had fans raging (nothing new there...) at Walters European tactics all the time.

Xavi (who is in that pic with Messi) said the below about Celtic. Suppose he’s a big Rangers man now? :D These players call it as they see it, get pulled into photo ops and have no real opinion on Rangers/Celtic generally.

So because Xavi slagged Celtic I should accept Messi slagging Rangers because the spoiled child didn't didn't get his way.....aye ok.

Maradonna is an example of how miss leading stats can be. Didn’t exactly score thousands over his career. Yet carried his team to a WC and Napoli to a title.

Add into it the absolute shite hole pitches he played on.

Absolute animal Defences he played against who literally got away with assault week in week out.

Surprised it’s stood that long it’s not that impressive for a team that size but Ronaldo’s not showing any signs of slowing down.

Xavi, Maldini, Giggs, Scholes, Pirlo. Just some of the players who didn't have the bottle to prove themselves in other top leagues.

Players who have the bravery to go play in other top leagues are automatically superior.

Big Zlatan Ibrahimovic is clearly on another level compared to Messi. He even produced the goods in the EPL. And he was practically a pensioner when he did it! Unbelievable.

These guys were world class, ffs :D

Aye, all the mods are in my pocket, they do my bidding whenever I so desire.

In fact, I actually run this forum, Mark is just a figurehead.

:D

Sorry you misunderstand.
I'm implying that if you read something you don't like or agree with, you report it to the mods.
Take from that what you will.

You clearly don’t watch modern day Italian football mate...
It’s one of the craziest leagues around for high scoring matches

No defence in Serie A is anywhere close to Real’s defence never mind Atletico’s

You clearly don't watch many Juve games.

Most teams don't even attempt to get out their half against them. This Juve side doesn't create many chances either, it is a massive achievement scoring 25 goals in Serie A for a Juventus player, as the stat proves.

Serie A has more goals these days but there is no doubt defensive organisation and tactics are the focus. Just about every player joining the league mentions it.

You clearly don't watch many Juve games.

Most teams don't even attempt to get out their half against them. This Juve side doesn't create many chances either, it is a massive achievement scoring 25 goals in Serie A for a Juventus player, as the stat proves.

Serie A has more goals these days but there is no doubt defensive organisation and tactics are the focus. Just about every player joining the league mentions it.
You’re just blatantly talking shite there. Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Inter, Florentina, Atalanta all play attacking football now
Atalanta’s scoring record is absolutely ridiculous for a club that size
Serie A in the last 4/5 has been brilliant for teams just going all against each other and trying to outscore the other

Watch a big game in England or Spain and you’ll see teams being more cautious and trying not to lose more than you would in a big game in Serie A

And every player who’s ever joined the premier league says it’s the best league in the world. Footballers talking shite shocker

The greatest ever in terms of honours spanning a career imo. Not many have done so much in the three top leagues both in terms of honours and records as well as multiple European Cups won with two different sides and two international honours as well. And a further beaten European Championship final in there as well.

Not many have the balls to go out the comfort zone as much as he has. I know some have more titles or honours but to go and do it in so many places is fairly unique.
And wasn't even playing as a striker until he was past 25

You’re just blatantly talking shite there. Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Inter, Florentina, Atalanta all play attacking football now
Atalanta’s scoring record is absolutely ridiculous for a club that size
Serie A in the last 4/5 has been brilliant for teams just going all against each other and trying to outscore the other

Watch a big game in England or Spain and you’ll see teams being more cautious and trying not to lose more than you would in a big game in Serie A

And every player who’s ever joined the premier league says it’s the best league in the world. Footballers talking shite shocker

I'm really not. Watch how teams play against Juventus and you will see what their focus is. Prime example was the Coppa Italia final a few weeks ago. Napoli a team you mention as playing attacking football clearly set their stall out to defend and hope for something on a break. It was the same in their league game in Naples. Napoli were attacking under Sarri but not now.

Atalanta are attacking no doubt about that. Inter, absolutely not. They are a classic Conte well drilled side. Roma and are a shambles this season and are not good at either end. Fiorentina are amongst the lowest scorers. The average Italian team's main focus is being well drilled and solid defensively, the Italian football pundits like Marchotti or Horncastle will say the same.

That doesn't mean that it isn't a great league, which it has been for many seasons. The days of 1-0 catenacio are definitely over. But to suggest that it is some gung-ho attacking league or that the average Spanish side is more defensive is not true.

Getting back on topic, Juve have not had someone hit 25 goals in 60 years, despite being the top team in the country during that time. Virtually all teams sit in against them, that shouldn't even be a debate and Ronaldo hitting 25 goals is a big achievement.

Last edited:
Maradona is seen as the better player of the two in their homeland.
Maradona is much more popular as a person in Argentina than Messi for his rappore with the fans winning them the world cup and other reasons. They are obviously both fantastic players and if you like one person much more than another it kind of skews the vote a bit as your obviously going to choose that person. He is definetly Argentina's favourite son but I wouldn't read to much into the vote over there, its kind of one sided in favour of Maradona no matter what Messi ever done.

Biggest surprise here is that no one ejse has done this since 1960. Considering some of the strikers they've had. Would have though viali or inzaghi would have got 25 at some point

Ronaldo has 'challenged' himself in three different leagues.

Aye, what a challenge going to Juve who've won the league for the last 20 years on the trot just about. If anything they've regressed since he joined (their domestic cup and CL efforts have went backwards).

Realistically I could play up front for Juve and they'd still scoosh the league. It'd be like saying it's a challenge joining Bayern.

Re: Maradona, of course he'll be more popular in Argentina, he lived there, grew up there, played there and won the World Cup with them. Messi left at 13, he's spent most of his years in Spain.

Ronaldo has 'challenged' himself in three different leagues.

Aye, what a challenge going to Juve who've won the league for the last 20 years on the trot just about. If anything they've regressed since he joined (their domestic cup and CL efforts have went backwards).

Realistically I could play up front for Juve and they'd still scoosh the league. It'd be like saying it's a challenge joining Bayern.

Re: Maradona, of course he'll be more popular in Argentina, he lived there, grew up there, played there and won the World Cup with them. Messi left at 13, he's spent most of his years in Spain.

If you actually look at the moves Ronaldo’s made. He moved to Madrid to join the club he’d always wanted to play for in the league he’d always wanted to play in (as all the top players do with Spain) so that move made sense, I mean Messi was already in the top league where all the best players want to be so he never had to make that move. But the Juve transfer was just Ronaldo going into a cushty little role where he was guaranteed to get goals and win things with no serious challengers around, far easier than carrying on at Madrid where he struggled for domestic success.

I think he also fancied their chances (and probably still does) of finally getting a bit of luck in the CL and thought that would add to his legacy somewhat despite the complete lack of a domestic challenge.

The greatest ever in terms of honours spanning a career imo. Not many have done so much in the three top leagues both in terms of honours and records as well as multiple European Cups won with two different sides and two international honours as well. And a further beaten European Championship final in there as well.

Not many have the balls to go out the comfort zone as much as he has. I know some have more titles or honours but to go and do it in so many places is fairly unique.
Most naturally gifted player in the world bar none

Obviously it’s a bit of a wind up, but I’ve given him plenty over the years. But joining a side who’d just won 7 titles in a row and generally stroll to the league, whilst bagging 25 goals (of which more than a third were from the spot) really isn’t the big achievement it’s made out to be, especially considering his quality.

Try telling that to the Pep fanboys. Almost impossible to fail with the gigs he’s had.

Most naturally gifted player in the world bar none

Not something you often hear Ronaldo described as.

If you actually look at the moves Ronaldo’s made. He moved to Madrid to join the club he’d always wanted to play for in the league he’d always wanted to play in (as all the top players do with Spain) so that move made sense, I mean Messi was already in the top league where all the best players want to be so he never had to make that move. But the Juve transfer was just Ronaldo going into a cushty little role where he was guaranteed to get goals and win things with no serious challengers around, far easier than carrying on at Madrid where he struggled for domestic success.

I think he also fancied their chances (and probably still does) of finally getting a bit of luck in the CL and thought that would add to his legacy somewhat despite the complete lack of a domestic challenge.

They often say Messi has always been in his comfort zone and never challenged himself.

Interesting because I'd say moving from Argentina to Spain at the age of 13 is a pretty huge thing to do. Often overlooked.

Try telling that to the Pep fanboys. Almost impossible to fail with the gigs he’s had.

Aye mate, taking gigs at clubs that have just finished 3rd and 4th place is the same as joining a club that have just wrapped up 7 in a row.

IckyMixedBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

Aye mate, taking gigs at clubs that have just finished 3rd and 4th place is the same as joining a club that have just wrapped up 7 in a row.

IckyMixedBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

Whatever mate. Murty would’ve won the domestic trophies with the squads, and unlimited funds, he’s had at Barca, Bayern and City.

Success at City, the richest club on the planet, would be a Champions League. Couldn’t even get through against Spurs ffs!

Whatever mate. Murty would’ve won the domestic trophies with the squads he’s had a Barca, Bayern and City.

Success at City would be a Champions League. Couldn’t even get through against Spurs ffs!

Crickets back soon mate, you should have a go watching that, I hear it’s easier to follow

The usual pish response from someone who can’t refute the facts

You can’t say Graeme Murty would have won titles in 3 of Europe’s top leagues and then try and belittle someone else. You haven’t offered any facts, just a warped opinion with no basis in reality, one that more or less marks you out as the FF equivalent of Gordon Dalziel.

You can’t say Graeme Murty would have won titles in 3 of Europe’s top leagues and then try and belittle someone else. You haven’t offered any facts, just a warped opinion with no basis in reality, one that more or less marks you out as the FF equivalent of Gordon Dalziel.

Let’s just agree to disagree as people are either in one camp or the other!

Pep has done nothing in Europe at City with arguably the best squad in the world, including a year when the competition was at the weakest in it’s history.

I’m not disputing he’s a good coach but if they don’t win the CL this year, it has to go down as a failure of a season!

I see this thread has went the way of pretty much every other thread about either Ronaldo or Messi!

Unreal, no matter what your thoughts, scoring 25 league goals (and counting) in Serie A at the age of 35 is a fine achievement.

Let’s just agree to disagree as people are either in one camp or the other!

Pep has done nothing in Europe at City with arguably the best squad in the world, including a year when the competition was at the weakest in it’s history.

I’m not disputing he’s a good coach but if they don’t win the CL this year, it has to go down as a failure of a season!

You need a bit of luck in the CL though. Klopp got it the year Liverpool won it with some big calls against City.

Obviously if City fail to win the CL this season, then then this particular season will be a failure, I don’t disagree with that.

Whatever mate. Murty would’ve won the domestic trophies with the squads, and unlimited funds, he’s had at Barca, Bayern and City.

Success at City, the richest club on the planet, would be a Champions League. Couldn’t even get through against Spurs ffs!

I’m no City fan, but that’s nonsense. They had finished 4th the season before he had joined. He found his feet for a season (finished 3rd) then the next got 100 points, a new record. The season after it was 99 points and a treble. This season they could win another treble (of sorts).

At Barca they had finished 3rd the season before he arrived. He overhauled the squad, got rid of big personalities like Ronaldinho and Deco, centred the team around Messi, gave rotation players like Xavi and Iniesta more importance and promoted guys like Pedro and Busquets. Signed Pique, Alves, Hleb and a few others but didn’t exactly splash the cash (for a club their size). That season they won every competition going. I highly doubt many managers (never mind the extremely talented Graeme Murty...) could’ve achieved that!

I’d love to see Ronaldo in a Pep team if I’m being honest. Could he handle being a team player in a particular style of play rather than the focal point?

I don't know why people can't just enjoy Ronaldo and Messi rather than argue about who is better. There is no separating the two of them. 2 of the very best ever and it will be strange in a few years once both have retired.

I’m no City fan, but that’s nonsense. They had finished 4th the season before he had joined. He found his feet for a season (finished 3rd) then the next got 100 points, a new record. The season after it was 99 points and a treble. This season they could win another treble (of sorts).

At Barca they had finished 3rd the season before he arrived. He overhauled the squad, got rid of big personalities like Ronaldinho and Deco, centred the team around Messi, gave rotation players like Xavi and Iniesta more importance and promoted guys like Pedro and Busquets. Signed Pique, Alves, Hleb and a few others but didn’t exactly splash the cash (for a club their size). That season they won every competition going. I highly doubt many managers (never mind the extremely talented Graeme Murty...) could’ve achieved that!

I’d love to see Ronaldo in a Pep team if I’m being honest. Could he handle being a team player in a particular style of play rather than the focal point?

I’m not debating he has done a good job at each club but he had all the tools required and regardless of league position, the squads were stacked with quality.

With Man City I expected they would kick on and he would win a CL. They have until now fallen short including a season where Barca, Real, Bayern etc all underperformed. They’ve spent a fortune but still couldn’t get close to Liverpool this year.

It’s all about opinions but for me Klopp has done a far more impressive job at Liverpool.

Edit - Yes he could. He’s passed his best but has all the attributes to succeed with any EPL side and is a born winner.

Back