Ronaldo CR7

So because he went to Juventus that somehow proves he has something over Messi?

Curious logic.

No because he’s done in arguably the top 3 leagues in the world and at international level, messi has done it at Barcelona and that’s it meanwhile ronaldo looks like he will continue to play at the top level for a few more years yet messi won’t play as long as ronaldo at the top level.

No because he’s done in arguably the top 3 leagues in the world and at international level, messi has done it at Barcelona and that’s it meanwhile ronaldo looks like he will continue to play at the top level for a few more years yet messi won’t play as long as ronaldo at the top level.

whats Ronaldo done at international level that Messi hasn’t? Stand on the touchline and watch his pals win a final without him?

CR7 is simply the best all round footballer, and achiever, ever. Definitely GOAT
He does things that Messi simply cannot do.
No contest in my opinion

whats Ronaldo done at international level that Messi hasn’t? Stand on the touchline and watch his pals win a final without him?
That's not fair. He scored in a draw with Hungary and a win over Wales at the Euros. Then he watched his team-mates win the final without him.

Messi is great. But he's done it at 1 club and flopped at international football. He should have pushed himself to see if he could do it out of his Catalan comfort zone.
I was going to post the same thing.

In his homeland Messi isn’t all that because he hadn’t done it at international level.

People will say that Ronaldo has gone to clubs who were strong but still done it in different leagues and international level too.

I was going to post the same thing.

In his homeland Messi isn’t all that because he hadn’t done it at international level.

People will say that Ronaldo has gone to clubs who were strong but still done it in different leagues and international level too.
Has he though (at least to any greater degree than Messi? He scored one goal more than Robbie Brady at the Euros.

I seen a clip from Euro 94 and he was in the team v Greece so his cap count must be pretty high.
Bold font?? sorry

always makes me laugh when the messi fanboys try to downplay his euros win because he got injured in the final. apparently it only counts towards your trophy count if you score or assist the goal yourself. It would be a different story if higuain had scored that one on one in the world cup final mind you, that would have been messi’s crowing glory and no debate from them.

455 league goals in 555 games across three different leagues.

102 international goals.
uSsqCox.png

Capture.png

Try comparing the list of teams Messi scored against and numbers to Ronaldo.

I think Messi would be over 100 too if he played Suriname and Guiana 2 or 3 times a year.

always makes me laugh when the messi fanboys try to downplay his euros win because he got injured in the final. apparently it only counts towards your trophy count if you score or assist the goal yourself. It would be a different story if higuain had scored that one on one in the world cup final mind you, that would have been messi’s crowing glory and no debate from them.
Stephane Guivarch won the World Cup and neither of them managed it.

Let's get another contender in the mix.

the 2nd Ronny has to 'work hard' to be where he is, Messi just gets outta bed in the morning for it.
This.

I'd say that without Messi, you don't get anywhere near the same level of Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has a desire to be the best. He works unbelievably hard to achieve this.

Messi is an unbelievable natural talent head and shoulders above his contemporaries.

The work Ronaldo has had to put in to get to the level where there is actually a debate about who is the best is amazing.

But I don't think he'd have pushed himself to the level he has if Messi wasn't there to set the bar at that level.

You'd think from Ronaldo's fans he singlehandedly won the Euro's despite only scoring in games against the might of Wales and Hungary.

strange the views of many after Barca lose

there was a recent FF poll of the greatest of all time

Messi got 33%
Maradona got 27%
R7 got 19%

of over 1000 votes

not even second best never mind the GOAT

Has he though (at least to any greater degree than Messi? He scored one goal more than Robbie Brady at the Euros.
Why the focus on the euros?

He’s scored 102 goals in 170 internationals. Important goals that got them in a position to win a major competition, through qualification etc.

Messi has 71 goals in 142 and won an Olympic gold medal.

You'd think from Ronaldo's fans he singlehandedly won the Euro's despite only scoring in games against the might of Wales and Hungary.
I think it's proof that any team can fluke their way to an international trophy if anything. From memory they only 'won' a single game and it was against Wales in extra time.

Why the focus on the euros?

He’s scored 102 goals in 170 internationals. Important goals that got them in a position to win a major competition, through qualification etc.

Messi has 71 goals in 142 and won an Olympic gold medal.
Scoring against farmers, plumbers and teachers. Seriously, look at how his goals are spread for Portugal:
7 v lithuania, 7 v sweden, 6 v Andorra, 5 v Armenia, 5 v Latvia, 5 v Luxembourg

Love these threads as they coax out the usual suspects.

Messi has the most natural ability of anyone to play the game.

Only Diego comes close. Very close.

It is not all about natural ability though.

If I have the choice of any player at their peak CR7 is my choice.

IMO Messi, Diego and CR7 are the best 3 of all time.

In whatever order you like.

The big 2 are still the best 2 in the world with a combined age of 68.

I think it's proof that any team can fluke their way to an international trophy if anything. From memory they only 'won' a single game and it was against Wales in extra time.
Aye, definitely wasnt a Portugal team that you watched and were particularly entertained by.

Not really. His role in the goal against Croatia was a big factor. Boring debate now, always gets petty.

Scoring against farmers, plumbers and teachers. Seriously, look at how his goals are spread for Portugal:
7 v lithuania, 7 v sweden, 6 v Andorra, 5 v Armenia, 5 v Latvia, 5 v Luxembourg
And Messi has only scored against the elite?
Any player can only score against what is in front of them. A goal again Germany or against Latvia is still of the same value.

And Messi has only scored against the elite?
Any player can only score against what is in front of them. A goal again Germany or against Latvia is still of the same value.
Not only against the elite but the majority of his goals have come against tougher opposition

5 v Brazil
5 v Ecuador
5 v Paraguay
5 v Uruguay

Not really. His role in the goal against Croatia was a big factor. Boring debate now, always gets petty.

Yeah it was, he fluffed a golden chance from 6 yards out and was lucky it fell for a team mate, a moment of genius people will still be talking about in 20 years time :D

Desperate stuff right up there with “he motivated his team mates from the touchline and that made them win the final”.

Absolutely, it does massively help. Certainly isn't a tournament win you can say Ronaldo carried Portugal to.
Crucial part played deep in to extra time v Croatia for the goal, easy to watch again on YouTube if you never watched it at the time.

FourFourTwo magazine recently listed ‘The 50 greatest footballers of all time’ and only rated him 5th...

5. Ronaldo
4. Cruyff
3. Pele
2. Maradona
1. Messi

That is a random journalist's thoughts.

It holds no more weight than any serious football fan.

Yeah it was, he fluffed a golden chance from 6 yards out and was lucky it fell for a team mate, a moment of genius people will still be talking about in 20 years time :D

Desperate stuff right up there with “he motivated his team mates from the touchline and that made them win the final”.
Again he resorts to making things up, never changes.

Not only against the elite but the majority of his goals have come against tougher opposition

5 v Brazil
5 v Ecuador
5 v Paraguay
5 v Uruguay

Anyone who knows football knows the CONMBEOL qualifiers are by far the hardest in the world and a damn sight tougher than the Euro qualifiers. Lots of tricky teams, you have to play at altitude, extensive travelling involved, and you don’t get the luxury of bullying amateur level sides like Luxembourg, Andorra, Estonia, Faroe Islands and San Marino.

Ecuador and Paraguay are giants of the game.
In comparison to Andorra and Luxembourg? Positively goliath.

Ecuador scudded Colombia 6-1 a few day ago
Have Andorra or Luxembourg even scored six goals in a calendar year?

Given it meant they went through I would say it does yes. Didn’t fancy them at all on pens, looked shot to bits.
I'm sure if I had the inclination, I could probably pick several other moments you could credit as equally important in that game.

In comparison to Andorra and Luxembourg? Positively goliath.

Ecuador scudded Colombia 6-1 a few day ago
Have Andorra or Luxembourg even scored six goals in a calendar year?
So you ignore all of the GOAT'S goals against good teams?

Drug free too.

Back