Ronaldo CR7

I'm sure if I had the inclination, I could probably pick several other moments you could credit as equally important in that game.
Don’t do that, just say what you’ve been saying non stop - some crap about goals v Hungary and Wales!

So you are discriminating against Ronaldo because he is European?

Stats don’t lie. Ronald scores more,
Better mins per goal, better mins per assist.
That's true. Better goals per minute etc. Easier when you're playing against a much weaker level of opposition.

So you are discriminating against Ronaldo because he is European?

Stats don’t lie. Ronald scores more,
Better mins per goal, better mins per assist.

Stats don’t lie, Lawrence Shankland had a better goals per game ratio than Morelos last season, obviously a better striker.

You’re a bigger wind up than me

Where’s the wind up? He’s going to come back and say “yeah but he was playing in the championship against dross” whilst continuing to ignore the fact that Messi doesn’t get to play teams of the quality (or lack thereof) of Luxembourg, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Latvia, Estonia, San Marino etc in his qualifiers.

If you want to just whittle it down to stats with no context then my Shankland/Morelos comparison is every bit as valid. I mean really we all know it’s bollocks, but by Wazza’s rules it’s perfectly fine.

I really wish higuain buried one of they chances in the WC final so we wouldn’t have to put up with this tedious debate on who’s the better player.

I really wish higuain buried one of they chances in the WC final so we wouldn’t have to put up with this tedious debate on who’s the better player.

That in itself shows the stupidity of the international argument. If Eder doesn’t score a worldy and Griezmann tucks one away up the other end I’m guessing that means Ronaldo actually wouldn’t have “done it at international level” Even though he would have been off the pitch and would have had no direct influence on the above hypothetical scenario which would suddenly mean he hasn’t conquered international football? (just as he had no influence on the winning goal or his defence’s ability to keep good teams at bay)

I love that the same posters still don't realise that there is no right or wrong answer; it is simply a preference.

Superb viewing, again.
I always love the “anyone who knows anything about football knows........” line trotted off by some again and again.

Maradona will always be the best for me but it’s just opinions, and we are all entitled to our own.........but CR7 is the best in the last few years......ok!

Where’s the wind up? He’s going to come back and say “yeah but he was playing in the championship against dross” whilst continuing to ignore the fact that Messi doesn’t get to play teams of the quality (or lack thereof) of Luxembourg, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Latvia, Estonia, San Marino etc in his qualifiers.

If you want to just whittle it down to stats with no context then my Shankland/Morelos comparison is every bit as valid. I mean really we all know it’s bollocks, but by Wazza’s rules it’s perfectly fine.
Come on mate, Ronaldo is an exceptional player as is Messi. I don’t get why people get so vociferous when discussing these two phenoms. I’m only having a laugh and I wouldn’t argue against anyone who puts an argument up for Zidane, Marafona, Cruyff, Messi or Ronaldo as TBE.
I’m just lucky as I’ve seen 4 of them.

I don’t think you can say there is a “best ever”. The rules of the game have evolved, like in a lot of sports, so the players today (particularly forward players) have less of a physical challenge to deal with and the changes in the offside rules have resulted in more goals.

As an example, how many goals do you think Van Basten would have scored if he played now and not when he did where got booted senseless every week and had to retire far too early?

Both Ronaldo and Messi are clearly in the conversation so not dissing either of them but I personally think you have to look at eras separately.

Come on mate, Ronaldo is an exceptional player as is Messi. I don’t get why people get so vociferous when discussing these two phenoms. I’m only having a laugh and I wouldn’t argue against anyone who puts an argument up for Zidane, Marafona, Cruyff, Messi or Ronaldo as TBE.
I’m just lucky as I’ve seen 4 of them.
I’m not saying he’s not a great player, I’m making the point that at international level he gets to pad his stats out against a lot more dross Messi doesn’t get to face year in year out. It’s really debatable is it? To acknowledge this isn’t to say he’s not a great player.

I’ve been on this forum since 2008 and every thread on this danger zone / spooge is all over it . Scary thought how much time you’ve wasted on these threads .

I’ve been on this forum since 2008 and every thread on this danger zone / spooge is all over it . Scary thought how much time you’ve wasted on these threads .

If you’ve read every single one of them since 2008 you best be worrying about your own time mate. Anyway I’ve had my stalker right behind me every step of the way so that’s even worse.

If you’ve read every single one of them since 2008 you best be worrying about your own time mate. Anyway I’ve had my stalker right behind me every step of the way so that’s even worse.
I’ve not read them all completely as if I’m honest the whole debate bores me . Both great footballers but both wee twats . Don’t really watch football out with Rangers . Only stumble on the threads when I’ve read the rest of the forum bored at work . Was just an observation you must have spent literally days of your life on these threads .

Messi has played for a much better international team than CR7. So the idea that the goat's record is padded is null & void.

The first time I saw Messi play I thought 'this guy has pace, his dribbling is incredible, the ball is pretty much glued to his foot, he can finish and has Ronaldinho and Deco. He is going to win absolutely everything'

The first time I saw Cristiano Ronaldo play I thought 'Has Ferguson lost his damned mind? He's replacing Beckham with a weakling that dives and does 15 stepovers a game before losing the ball just because his name is Ronaldo? Maybe he should have retired a couple of years ago.'

That's why I think Cristiano Ronaldo is the better player.

Messi went from being the guy who was destined, protected and nurtured to win everything at Barcelona to the guy who won everything at Barcelona. Cristiano Ronaldo went from the scrawny guy who would have been yet another good winger that Ferguson could wring a few titles from to being the guy who won everything.

It's all subjective, though.

See as far the whole Messi v Ronaldo debate - they are inseperable.

Arguably, without Messi, Ronaldo wouldn't have strived to be as good for so long and vice versa.

Let's just say they are both in the pantheon of the greatest to ever play the game alongside Pele & Maradona.

For what it's worth, as a spectator I'd rather watch Messi. If I was a player I'd rather Ronaldo was in my team.

Last edited:
I’ve not read them all completely as if I’m honest the whole debate bores me . Both great footballers but both wee twats . Don’t really watch football out with Rangers . Only stumble on the threads when I’ve read the rest of the forum bored at work . Was just an observation you must have spent literally days of your life on these threads .

No I don’t think I have spent “literally days”. It probably takes me as long to write a post as it takes you to read it. Let’s be honest it wasn’t really just an observation anyway mate, it was a snide dig which going on your last post, was actually unfounded. If you go through most threads discussing the top players in the world over the last 15 or so years you’ll probably find I have input in the vast majority of them, reason being that I’m a big football fan and watching and discussing it is one of my favourite pastimes.

The first time I saw Messi play I thought 'this guy has pace, his dribbling is incredible, the ball is pretty much glued to his foot, he can finish and has Ronaldinho and Deco. He is going to win absolutely everything'

The first time I saw Cristiano Ronaldo play I thought 'Has Ferguson lost his damned mind? He's replacing Beckham with a weakling that dives and does 15 stepovers a game before losing the ball just because his name is Ronaldo? Maybe he should have retired a couple of years ago.'

That's why I think Cristiano Ronaldo is the better player.

Messi went from being the guy who was destined, protected and nurtured to win everything at Barcelona to the guy who won everything at Barcelona. Cristiano Ronaldo went from the scrawny guy who would have been yet another good winger that Ferguson could wring a few titles from to being the guy who won everything.

It's all subjective, though.

The first time I saw Ronaldo was highlights of his debut on Match of the day. I said at that point, this guy is going to be the best player in the world. Its arguable of course with Messi around, but I honestly cannot for a second fathom your initial Ronaldo appraisal.

The first time I saw Ronaldo was highlights of his debut on Match of the day. I said at that point, this guy is going to be the best player in the world. Its arguable of course with Messi around, but I honestly cannot for a second fathom your initial Ronaldo appraisal.
I have no idea when I first saw him play a game, just that I thought he was OK but nothing special.

Ronaldo could play till 40 no problem. Messi looks like he'll fold by his 35th and pack it in. I also don't like the way he threatens to leave every year only to "stay" when offered an extra million a month.

He is not the GOAT, neither is Messi. Every single player can only try to be the second GOAT. Ronaldinho can never be matched.

Back