Ronaldo v Ronaldo: who was the better Ronaldo?

Ronaldo v Ronaldo: who was better?

• Brazilian Ronaldo

Votes: 370 54.7%
  • Portuguese Ronaldo

Votes: 308 45.5%

• Total voters
i take it this guy Cristiano Ronaldo was just some penalty box poacher for a sunday league team or something? the way some people bang on about trying to downplay every single aspect of his career is more sad than funny. ‘Peak’ cristiano ronaldo was something pretty special, he’s not there anymore, but even some of the people on this forum who clearly don’t like him seem happy to forgot what he was like from about 2007-14. he had absolutely everything, just as exciting to watch as anyone else around.

for what it’s worth though, id still take peak R9 over anyone i’ve ever seen play football. The very best i’ll probably ever see.

It's generally the Messi Groupies who don't give CR7 any credit and make him out to be nothing more than a poacher etc. The whole Messi/CR7 debate is tiresome, it's actually mad to see so many grown men invested in it. When it's all said and done both of them will be right in the mix for the discussion as the greatest footballer ever to play the game.

Messi and CR7 are both geniuses and footballing gods in their own way. It really just comes down to personal preference with the two and what you prefer more in a footballer.

Sorry to have upset a few folk but regardless of what he did before or after...he bottled what was at that time the biggest game of his career.
He's only human and I felt for him considering the immense pressure he was under but for me true greats thrive on pressure not buckle under it!
This is absolutely insane thinking. He had a seizure. How the %^*& is that bottling it?

CR7 has been consistent at the highest level throughout his career. I was amazed by the sheer talent and effectiveness of R9 when he turned it on, but he was simply not as consistent. Fr me that is the difference.
Now, a front two of them working together would have been a thing to watch.

I don't think there's a million miles between C. Ronaldo and Messi, but I'd wager more people would say Messi was better than Brazilian Ronaldo.

CR7 has achieved a huge amount in the game, is driven and clinical in what he does but there is something amazing about watching Ronaldo, Maradona or Messi with a ball at their feet running past players.

For starters anyone who thinks Cristiano is the best footballer of all time shouldn't be taken seriously. He's not even the best of his generation.

Peak R9 is easily better than peak CR7. The numbers R9 was producing when he was still a teenager/early 20s was frightening.

Usually those who say CR7 is the best will say he's done it in other countries...well R9 has done that. After that all they fall back on is his goal record (which is frightening btw, but so is the likes of Gerd Muller).

For starters anyone who thinks Cristiano is the best footballer of all time shouldn't be taken seriously. He's not even the best of his generation.

Peak R9 is easily better than peak CR7. The numbers R9 was producing when he was still a teenager/early 20s was frightening.

Usually those who say CR7 is the best will say he's done it in other countries...well R9 has done that. After that all they fall back on is his goal record (which is frightening btw, but so is the likes of Gerd Muller).

who is the best in your opinion in CR7 generation?

I don't think there's a million miles between C. Ronaldo and Messi, but I'd wager more people would say Messi was better than Brazilian Ronaldo.
I think Messi wins it for more people because his style is easier on the eye, small, nimble, tricky players like Messi and Maradona seem to excite the fans more than the others.

Interesting dilemma, given the disparity in the quality of their respective international teams then that perhaps is an unfair measure and so in purely club terms I'd say CR7. Throw in international achievement and Brazilian Ronaldo has a more compelling case.

Thankfully completely different, so no right answer.

CR7 you'd probably have in your team first because he can influence the game from much deeper and takes everything.

For running at defenders and finishing I don't think there's anyone ever who matches R9. He's the one I'd rather pay to see.

Amazing that people downplay Cristianos ability due the fact he is a smug dick.

If he was a nice guy he would be renowned as the best ever by far.

Just had a look at R9 stats and honours etc, was surprised at first to see he never won the Champions League, but then when you remember the dates he played with each team, just missed out with Madrid by joining them the summer after their 2002 win.

Got to be the greatest player (who played in Europe) to never win the Champions League surely???

I think Messi wins it for more people because his style is easier on the eye, small, nimble, tricky players like Messi and Maradona seem to excite the fans more than the others.

That and he’s a far superior player creatively, not just marginally but by a considerable distance as he possesses dribbling, vision and passing abilities far beyond that of CR7. That’s why there’s distance between the two and you know anyone saying otherwise either doesn’t watch both players, has a preference for Madrid/Man Utd/Juve/Portugal, or just doesn’t quite “get” football, which would tie in with some of their thoughts on our own team too to be fair.

Haha, you’d think some folk on here were seasoned professionals the way they talk down to folk who disagree with their opinions. Even Deco couldn’t split Ronaldo and Messi, bloody clueless that fella - knows %^*& all!

It's generally the Messi Groupies who don't give CR7 any credit and make him out to be nothing more than a poacher etc. The whole Messi/CR7 debate is tiresome, it's actually mad to see so many grown men invested in it. When it's all said and done both of them will be right in the mix for the discussion as the greatest footballer ever to play the game.

Messi and CR7 are both geniuses and footballing gods in their own way. It really just comes down to personal preference with the two and what you prefer more in a footballer.
Considered, balanced, grown up comment.

You're on the wrong thread.

Now that we have established that Messi and Ronaldo are better than Cristiano Ronaldo, I think it's time for a Messi v Ronaldo poll.

If the real Ronaldo hadn't had all his injury problems we'd be comparing him to Pele and Maradona, not CR7.

Pre injury he was better than either CR7 or Messi.

Back