Roofe GIF - GoalLine View

Strikes me as the player that’s made for the big occasion. If we can get Roofe, Morelos, Itten and Defoe on top form we have nothing to worry about.

Does not matter if you are 11 or 101.
It is the most terrific goal you will EVER see from a player in a Rangers shirt.
Remember where you were when it happened.

I'm 60 & been to probably over a thousand Rangers games in my lifetime & that's the best ever Rangers goal I've seen.
The Davie Cooper goal at Hampden against them in 1979 was really special, but last night's goal was better in my opinion.
Spat my coffee everywhere when it hit the net.
Unbelievable goal...

For anyone (in green & grey) who doubts that Roofe knew exactly what he was doing, here's the frame where he looks up to see where the keeper is....
0CV4YJN.png

For me, the greatest thing about that goal is him turning away from the third tackle. He feigns a movement to his left, then runs into the left back, then he just knocks it round him.
That turn and feint, and his change in direction to put their player running the other way is just brilliant.

8 seconds two hefty challenges 6 touches and a shot i make it.
Love the little skip he does to get his feet in the right position before launching it.
Kentbear I was just about to post exactly the same in regards to his little skip to set himself to launch the shot, completely throughs out the manky mob hordes saying it was luck. Proves he was in complete control with intent / execution during the whole sequence of play, absolute moment of brilliance, so glad I got up to watch at 3am in Oz, WATP

Incredible. I even love the little skip just prior to hitting the trigger. It's as if that helped him reset his composure after dealing with the frantic challenges in the wild weather. Amazing.

The more I see of this goal the more awesome it becomes.
Kemar's fore-play before the earth-shattering orgasm itself was simply outstanding.
Good to see you back bilko you been on holiday?

I have had Archie Gemmills 1978 World Cup goal as my greatest of all time until now, watched this angle of Roofes quite a few times and have to say I didn't notice the outrageous heel nutmeg adding that to the twist and turns, fending off tackles flicking ball round 3rd defender awareness to look up for the keeper before the skip then unleashing the unthinkable in unimaginable pitch conditions to score such an insane goal and to see it happen is a wow moment!

Yes some will try to dilute the goal through tinted glasses and blame the goalkeeper for being off his line but reality is nobody could have envisaged or predicted in the next 8 seconds that 3 players were about to be taken out by skill and determination of one player about to perform an act of footballing magic that will have many proclaiming as the greatest goal they have ever seen self included and it will be talked about for years!

Yep for me at this time it is the greatest individual goal I have seen so far and it has taken 42 years to topple Archie Gemmills goal in my book!

Last edited:
8 seconds two hefty challenges 6 touches and a shot i make it.
Love the little skip he does to get his feet in the right position before launching it.
I would love to see this angle in slo mo, unless I am seeing things did he nutmeg using his heel?

Even better from that angle, the pace strength and change of direction before he hits the shot .
Wonderful.

For any tims looking in it was a lucky fluke and Lenny is the man. Make sure you keep with him.

I like how he added the little skip just to take the piss out of Lennon as well.
the wife nearly dropped the iron when i shouted NO WAY at the tv.

If instead of shooting he had wandered to the line at half way and played it off a defender for a throw in we would still be talking about the skill. Brilliant vision and strength.

Great 'game-management' by Kemar.

Run down the clock in injury time, take the ball for a walk and into a 'safe area'...

The back of the f*cking net!

Good to see you back bilko you been on holiday?

I have had Archie Gemmills 1978 World Cup goal as my greatest of all time until now, watched this angle of Roofes quite a few times and have to say I didn't notice the outrageous heel nutmeg adding that to the twist and turns, fending off tackles flicking ball round 3rd defender awareness to look up for the keeper before the skip then unleashing the unthinkable in unimaginable pitch conditions to score such an insane goal and to see it happen is a wow moment!

Yes some will try to dilute the goal through tinted glasses and blame the goalkeeper for being off his line but reality is nobody could have envisaged or predicted in the next 8 seconds that 3 players were about to be taken out by skill and determination of one player about to perform an act of footballing magic that will have many proclaiming as the greatest goal they have ever seen self included and it will be talked about for years!

Yep for me at this time it is the greatest individual goal I have seen so far and it has taken 42 years to topple Archie Gemmills goal in my book!
Are we talking only of Scottish related goals though?
My personal favourite is Maradonna waltzing through a defence and leaving them all on their arse.
Roofe's goal is now my second favourite!

Oh, btw, I am 73

Are we talking only of Scottish related goals though?
My personal favourite is Maradonna waltzing through a defence and leaving them all on their arse.
Roofe's goal is now my second favourite!

Oh, btw, I am 73
I could be wrong but I watched that game between England and Argentina as a 15 year old and what struck me before that goal he scored was that he went down easily a lot when tackled and gained quite a few fouls! This may have set the mindset of the English defenders?

It didn't occur to me then that he was a speedy wee character and the slightest of touches can easily knock these types of players off balance!

Athough it was a great goal I had been left with the feeling that there were some half hearted tackles going in from the English players, indeed no.16 made no attempt to tackle and didn't really bust a gut near the half way line when he still had a chance? Then the no.6 who had the second chance to tackle was slow no real conviction a very lame attempt and then the 3rd defender from the Centre Half position was another non hearted attempt basically never took the chance to tackle imo! By then the no.6 had got back for a 2nd chance that was lame as his 1st as Maradona was scoring past the keeper!

I then compared Archie Gemmills goal where he picked up the break of the ball and had to evade 3 quickfire committed tackles that left the defenders on the deck before delicately chipping the ball into the net!

Had a quick look again at both and I still would have chosen the same way! No bias had Maradona scored Archies goal it would still have been the greatest goal I had ever seen!

You describe Maradonas run as waltzing and left all players he beat on their arse (only two went to ground 1 of the 3 defenders and the goalie) I would say if anyone was waltzing by players and left them on their arses then it was Archie where 3 defenders who actually tackled him and the goalie all ended up on the grass but I respect your choice Barney, we have both seen many brilliant goals and great players for that matter!

42 years ago Archie Gemmill scored imo the greatest goal of all time and I did not believe it could be bettered nor could I understand why others could not see or felt what I believed but you get to learn people have their own reasons, thoughts, likes, dislikes even prejudices and bias at times so no wonder people have many different choices lol!

Well I was torn between a goal I believed to be the greatest goal of all time, one that I have loved for 42 years and very proud it was scored by a Scotsman playing for Scotland, one I will never forget and that one scored on Thursday!

Now to "That GOAL!" phew well
Being torn between what I just saw and my goal of all time I had to do what I did and go through every step and take weather and pitch conditions into consideration in reassessing what is my no.1!

The outrageous heel nutmeg adding that to the twist and turns, fending off tackles flicking ball round 3rd defender awareness to look up for the keeper before the skip then unleashing the unthinkable in unimaginable pitch conditions to score such an insane goal and to see it happen is a wow moment!

Yes some will try to dilute the goal through tinted glasses and blame the goalkeeper for being off his line but reality is nobody could have envisaged or predicted in the next 8 seconds that 3 players were about to be taken out by skill and determination of one player who was about to perform an act of footballing magic that will have many proclaiming as the greatest goal they have ever seen self included and it will be talked about for years!

Yep for me at this time it is the greatest individual goal I have seen so far and it has taken 42 years to topple Archie Gemmills goal as my greatest goal ever scored!

"That GOAL" not only had me in disbelief but left me uncontrolled teary eyed with laughter and screaming WOW wow wow!

Thats 3 of greatest goals only two out of the 3 pulled the teary eyed laughter and joy of emotions but Roofe's just hit another level from Archie's goal! It takes a special kind of goal to do that!

Barney all I can ask is in determining your greatest goal did you get the wow factor?

Last edited:
When he was lining up to hit it, in a split second i thought he was hitting it out the park to kill time as there was no view the keeper was off his line.

Back