Roofe has just put us on the TV all over the World.

Been going to Ibrox regularly since 1984. Honestly can't think of a better goal in that time.
There have been a few that will always stick to memory, like Wilkins' volley vs the Scum, Hateley`s screamer vs Leeds, McSwegan's header vs Marseille, a few of Albertz' missiles, McCann scoring at the Scumhut to claim us the title, Mendes scoring there and even recently Itten's first with the half volley.

But as people have said, Roofe does so much before he actually hits the shot ... that will stick to memory for a long time.

Should have been fined for it though, 1-0 up away from home seconds left and he didn’t run the ball into the corner to run down the clock.

Grumpy Old Git Loyal

There's a terrific piece in the Athletic about that goal if you can access it.

They're doing a £1/month deal for a year at this time.

Any goalie against us in the future thinking of playing the sweeper role might have a 2nd thought of straying too far from his goal line.
Their keeper must have been about the 18-yard line - maybe further out - when Roofe hit it. You see him back-peddling furiously, then launching himself up and back from outside the 6-yard box. Too late! But he’s lucky he didn’t injure himself. A couple of other posters have commented on him stretching his calves - he must have been checking they were still there.

Anyone else completely riled that BT Sport keep chopping off the first 20 yards of the goal in the clips they put out.

Its like chopping Maradona doing the dragbacks in the centre circle against Peter Reid.
Said the same earlier. Looking at the spanish version and stuff i don't think it was BT who are at fault as it's the same pictures used for all broadcasters. Who ever edited fucked it.

There have been a few that will always stick to memory, like Wilkins' volley vs the Scum, Hateley`s screamer vs Leeds, McSwegan's header vs Marseille, a few of Albertz' missiles, McCann scoring at the Scumhut to claim us the title, Mendes scoring there and even recently Itten's first with the half volley.

But as people have said, Roofe does so much before he actually hits the shot ... that will stick to memory for a long time.
Yeah. All those were incredible, and all the more memorable cause of importance. It's just another level I think. Beats 3 people before it, it's a swamp, then the audacity to try and the ability to manage it. Sensational.

I said best goal I’ve ever seen a Rangers player score
62 years old and have supported Rangers as long as I can remember. I can't think of a better one. When the move initiated, my son says don't foul, well done son, on you go, then we slowly get out of our seats as the ball is in the air, the ball hits the net and we are jumping about the living room hugging and shouting 'what a fuxxin goal'. It was fantastic.

It was well over that mate. That’s the minimum half way as per the Belgian league standard. And it was shot from our half and not perpendicular to the goal line. Do your pythagoras and it’s well over 55. To say anything less smells a little.

Are you trying to say knocking a couple of yards either side 'smells a little'? %^*& me.

Always thought that Wilkins volley propelled us to NIAR. Celtic were favorites going into that game, by half time, we had taken over Scottish Football.

Maybe next May, Celtic's three loss week to the Rangers, our old Friends of Milan and then Fergie and big Ross doing the business on Sunday - coupled with that goal can give the players that boost to show that we are the best team in Scotland and have the belief to go on to 55.

The more I watch that goal, the more I look at it in wonder. I love it.

Roofe is wading through a flooded pitch, in his own half surrounded by their defenders pressing up the pitch. He rides two robust challenges with his body strength and knocks it past another to beat the third of them, he then looks up and sends a rocket of a ball out of a puddle from the halfway line over their Keeper who is not far off his line, with the ball not coming down until it is just over the line.

On TV shows and online clips from here on in, and long after we are all gone, when the 10 best goals ever are being shown, a Rangers player will be right up there amongst them.

Would have loved to have seen that live. You didn't see where the keeper was until the ball was almost over him. When he hit it , it looked a bit hit and hope. Some of the other angles in the replays are much better, he knew what he was doing.

was gerrard playing when alonso did his? which I'm sure will make him the only person to witness this type of finishing live as a player and manager

Having watched it a gazillion times, you pick up little things that make it even better. Just prior to taking the strike he clearly realises he's running on treacle and does a little skip to allow him to generate the power out of the swamp.

@LuxBear - you must be one of the luckiest Bears on the planet to have been at this one.

Please tell me you never nipped out early for a slash and missed the goal of the century!

What was the reaction like in the ground?

BT Sport is 2.8M
Rangers own clip is 800K
You cannot buy that type of exposure . I’m starting to feel that Gerrard has helped turn us into something bigger and next level in terms of media and popularity than we realised was possible . We were already a mythical European club with history but we are now back to being genuine competitors . It’s fantastic

@LuxBear - you must be one of the luckiest Bears on the planet to have been at this one.

Please tell me you never nipped out early for a slash and missed the goal of the century!

What was the reaction like in the ground?
Managed to see the goal in all it’s glory :D was tremendous, couldn’t help but jump up and go
mental.

When you next watch the goal back, you’ll see us around the 54 second mark.

Their fans beside us were ok to be fair. The ultra lads all seemed to be behind the goal that Roofe scored into.

You cannot buy that type of exposure . I’m starting to feel that Gerrard has helped turn us into something bigger and next level in terms of media and popularity than we realised was possible . We were already a mythical European club with history but we are now back to being genuine competitors . It’s fantastic
Joe Aribo,Glen Kamara,Calvin Bassey we are building a football team here . And some of the football from them and quite a few others in our team has been fantastic .

Sorry mate but I'm amazed that you're just starting to think that about Gerrard. His appointment at the time was a master-stroke by the board and they knew full well what they were doing.

Can you imagine if Hagi's effort had gone in as well?

I've watched several replays of it now and it would have been an absolute worldy

62 years old and have supported Rangers as long as I can remember. I can't think of a better one. When the move initiated, my son says don't foul, well done son, on you go, then we slowly get out of our seats as the ball is in the air, the ball hits the net and we are jumping about the living room hugging and shouting 'what a fuxxin goal'. It was fantastic.
At 62 it’s probably time to tell your son to find his own accommodation

Possibly tops Wallace vs Dortmund as our greatest ever European goal!?
I've had a long hard think about this, I usually do prefer great team build up goals, or even individual brilliance...

Up until now I'd say Wallace v Dortmund or McCoist versus Leeds.

But this goal for me is the greatest goal I've ever seen. I include Brazil v Italy. Maradona v England. Van Basten's volley. Roofe's trumps them all

Taking it just outside your own 18 yard box. Showing the determination and skill he did to take the ball past 3 men then execute that shot on the half way line is the greatest I've ever seen.

The fact he done it on a waterlogged pitch too just adds to the brilliance.

People the World over fapping to it and rightly so.

Back