Roofe is a great fit for us

I know many won't agree, but I actually think our play up top and in the final third will actually improve when Morelos leaves. And I think the players around the forward area will benefit as a result.

I am excited by this opportunity to freshen things up in our attack/striking area and adopt a new approach. Because, as we saw again today, it continues to be an issue.
Roofe is a very smart player the movement Morelos pulled for the goal today is the kind of stuff Roofe is excellent at pulling defenders away and creating space to exploit the best way I could describe him is a bargain bucket Firmino

Roofe is a very smart player the movement Morelos pulled for the goal today is the kind of stuff Roofe is excellent at pulling defenders away and creating space to exploit the best way I could describe him is a bargain bucket Firmino
Totally agree mate.

Not by any stretch suggesting Roofe is poor. But I dont really see why he is the almost unanimous choice to replace Alfie.

Genuinely a bit perplexed why so many seem to hold him in extremely high regard.

Just seems to me a decent, talented but injury prone guy. Anderlecht finished 4th and 8th I think since he has been there, he hasn't troubled anywhere near thr top of the scoring charts?

Why the clamour for him?
Agreed mate, Leeds are my English team and i watched a lot of their games when Roofe was there, he did ok his last season but the season before he was a sub quite a bit, dont think Bielsa was too keen on him. I think we need something better.

Lifting the title with us, nothing better mate, imo.

Your last part is what defines it mate, in your opinion nothing would be better, in my opinion nothing else woulda compare to it but we speak as fans, to Alfie it’s not the same.

He’s a young lad who grew up in poverty in Columbia, worked hard and dreamt of reaching the top of football and making money to help his family and others.

He wants to play at the top level of football and as much as we are bigger historically and fanbase wise than Lille are, he will never reach the top level of football by playing Scotland.

Not sure we can Truss Roofe .....

I mean with all these injuries are we sure he is So Ffit to last 90 mins ......

ok am finished wi the wine for the night ;-)
I’m the same brother. His injury record worries me his ability excites.

Done with the red also

If Morelos goes as we all expect I can’t help but feel Roofe actually would be a great fit in our system. He can play any of the front three positions but with Hagi having Kent and Roofe ‘s pace to hit it would be a great three and would mean if Kent drops off the front there is still pace in behind.

Hagi lacks that pace but if 2 of the front 3 have it we will really benefit.

That is of course all under the assumption we would get the Roofe that was so dynamic at Leeds and not someone who is done.

wonder if there’s any leaks

Alfie's departure doesn't even seem to be imminent going by the noises we are hearing.

It needs resolved asap. I am sure we will have a list of targets dependent on Alfie going and Alfie staying.

We can't have this cloud hanging over us for weeks and developing into another transfer window saga with regards to Alfie.

He won’t be sold till after Thursdays game, don’t think there’s a chance Gerrard would sanction that and leave himself with no striker.

If Morelos goes as we all expect I can’t help but feel Roofe actually would be a great fit in our system. He can play any of the front three positions but with Hagi having Kent and Roofe ‘s pace to hit it would be a great three and would mean if Kent drops off the front there is still pace in behind.

That is of course all under the assumption we would get the Roofe that was so dynamic at Leeds and not someone who is done.

Good post @Coza.

My only concern is his fitness record.

Seems to pick up a lot of niggles and missed a lot of big games for Leeds.

Seems to be held in high regard on here for someone who has never been a prolific striker. Him being able to play anywhere along the front 3 seems kind of irrelevant, we need a striker, Kent and Hagi will play every week either side.

Might well be a good player but if Morelos goes we need to replace his goals, don’t know that Roofe has that in him

Our front 3 were constantly interchanging yesterday, as they have been doing throughout pre season.

Kent was in the centre forward position when he scored.

Lille are top 4 in one of the best leagues in Europe mate, can you see us selling someone for over £60m any time soon because I don't. Be realistic, regardless of the size of the club, we are always going to hindered by how shite Scottish football is.

They play in a bigger league mate.

They most certainly aren't a bigger club.

He won’t be sold till after Thursdays game, don’t think there’s a chance Gerrard would sanction that and leave himself with no striker.

Probably depends on Defoe's fitness and whether we have a replacement ready to come in. There's also heavy speculation we have one or two incomings imminent in the next couple of days.

Thursday is just a distraction to be honest. The tie is over, I dont think we should be attaching much importance to the game.

His career has been stop start the last few seasons due to niggles here and there. That's a concern.

Undoubtedly a good player when fit but it would be a lot of money for someone who has struggled with fitness over the last few years.

Probably depends on Defoe's fitness and whether we have a replacement ready to come in. There's also heavy speculation we have one or two incomings imminent in the next couple of days.

Thursday is just a distraction to be honest. The tie is over, I dont think we should be attaching much importance to the game.

Gerrard won’t see it like that and rightly so, he won’t want us embarrasse and will want us to give it our best shot, and we can’t play any new signings.

I realise Leverkusen are a better side, but 70 minutes into the first leg vs Braga we all thought the tie was over.

Gerrard won’t see it like that and rightly so, he won’t want us embarrasse and will want us to give it our best shot, and we can’t play any new signings.

I realise Leverkusen are a better side, but 70 minutes into the first leg vs Braga we all thought the tie was over.

It's done mate we aren't winning 3 nil against a top Bundesliga side away from home. I'm not saying send the kids over to play them but I don't think we should be attaching a large importance to the game, the league game next weekend is far more important.

No matter what happens on Thursday it's been an outstanding effort in Europe for us.

The late goal conceded at Ibrox in the first leg killed the tie for me. 2-1 down we had a sniff.

Lille should go for Roofe then?

The fact we are heavily linked with Roofe in papers and forums means me we will 100% NOT sign him.
The Club will sign someone from left field. And it will be a complete shock/surprise

Leeds fans down here rate him highly. My only concern is his recent injuries. All be it he was injury free for seasons before.

Leeds fans down here rate him highly. My only concern is his recent injuries. All be it he was injury free for seasons before.

Yeah the season he was played as a number 9 he was excellent. I made a fortune that year on Morelos FGS and Roofe FGS a lot. They both went off as 4-1 most games and easily both scored the first at a better rate than that.

The key absolutely would be his fitness (I would hope for Roofe and a younger back up like a Morelos 3 years ago). And also does he have the desire to win things and burst a gut to be a hero.

Good post @Coza.

My only concern is his fitness record.

Seems to pick up a lot of niggles and missed a lot of big games for Leeds.

Our front 3 were constantly interchanging yesterday, as they have been doing throughout pre season.

Kent was in the centre forward position when he scored.
Yes they were and by all accounts we weren’t clicking in front of goal. As I said, Roofe might well be a good player but to win this league we need to be replacing Morelos’ goals. We can’t rely on Kent, Aribo, Hagi and potentially Roofe to pick up the slack. 30 goals a season between them isn’t unrealistic, however it won’t win us a league in my opinion. We need them to be chipping in along with a striker who’s hitting the mark, which Roofe hasn’t done as consistently as I’d like for a striker who’s going to cost 5.5m according to Anderlecht’s asking price. For that price I’d be expecting a better return than he gets, or has gotten in the past

Yeah the season he was played as a number 9 he was excellent. I made a fortune that year on Morelos FGS and Roofe FGS a lot. They both went off as 4-1 most games and easily both scored the first at a better rate than that.

The key absolutely would be his fitness (I would hope for Roofe and a younger back up like a Morelos 3 years ago). And also does he have the desire to win things and burst a gut to be a hero.

Roofe and Maja is the dream for me.

Belgian league ended before ours and Genk showed how easy it is to drive a bargain and get a deal done quick if they want to sell and the player wants to come. If it takes us 4 months to negotiate a deal and convince players to come etc I'd say we have no chance and reading between the lines with Gerrard saying some league's are still being played and others have just finished and players are on holiday, none of that leads me to think Roofe being a target. I think we've been holding out for the English markets to start

They play in a bigger league mate.

They most certainly aren't a bigger club.

The sad reality of football today is it no longer matters if you’re a massive club now.

If you play in top 4 leagues and are decent quality a vast majority will leave to go there.

Just the consequence of playing in the Scottish league in 2020 mate.

The sad reality of football today is it no longer matters if you’re a massive club now.

If you play in top 4 leagues and are decent quality a vast majority will leave to go there.

Just the consequence of playing in the Scottish league in 2020 mate.

No argument with that mate.

Was just disputing the claim that Lille were a bigger club than us.

Seems to be held in high regard on here for someone who has never been a prolific striker. Him being able to play anywhere along the front 3 seems kind of irrelevant, we need a striker, Kent and Hagi will play every week either side.

Might well be a good player but if Morelos goes we need to replace his goals, don’t know that Roofe has that in him
High regard on FF counts for nothing mate.

We have pulled out the deal due to concerns over his fitness according to the Belgian press.

Quite right, the guy seems perennially injured.

We have pulled out the deal due to concerns over his fitness according to the Belgian press.

Quite right, the guy seems perennially injured.
Frustrating really m he's had a couple of calf injuries I'm not clued up enough to know if they have any long lasting effects but if he's only got a short term injury we may be able to nab him on the cheap and hope he gets over it

Yeah that’s what I was kind of meaning. I have seen very little of him tbh but for 5.5m I’d be expecting more goals on his record than he has

Sorry mate - my post was a bit short. I knew you were meaning the same thing.

I was going to give some examples, Ian Cathro high regard, low regard for Aluko when we signed him.

Hopefully whoever we sign is a hit. So far so good with Balogun.

If gerrard wants to play our no9 as a false 9 type like firmino at liverpool then roofe is a great fit for that role with hagi and Kent as the salah and mane.

After watching our game yesterday im not sure Messi would make a difference. A team who simply STILL cannot play 90 mins of football. A team of 45 mins. Which 45 is up in the air. I was not impressed by yesterday's performance and STILL it appears no way to change it, or willingness to change it. Yes its one game but so reminiscent of last season and in particular the end. There was a lack of commitment, drive, delivery and play making that every striker needs to score goals. I do not want our striker to have to pick the ball up ways away from where he should be banging them in. OK apologies for that little rant.

Lille are top 4 in one of the best leagues in Europe mate, can you see us selling someone for over £60m any time soon because I don't. Be realistic, regardless of the size of the club, we are always going to hindered by how shite Scottish football is.

Very honest post and very accurate, I watched that dross y
Morelos can be a bomb scare at times. He has missed some glaring chances over the years. Has been very raw. But with his negatives his positives
far outweigh all of them. He single handedly has pulled us out the shit and bullied defenders on his own leading a line on his own. As much as I can see where you're coming from with freshening things up he will be impossible to replace in not only his goal return but overall hold up and lone striker play. Be gutted when he leaves but maybe for the nest as he gets such a hard time here that he won't be allowed to reach his potential. I do think Lille would be an excellent platform for him. Roofe I'm not so sure that I'd be over the moon with being our main striker given his injuries and his goalscoring record isn't great.

I’m sorry pal but Roofe is twice the player Morelos is, I get he is a quality player but if you get a fit Kemal Roofe he
Not by any stretch suggesting Roofe is poor. But I dont really see why he is the almost unanimous choice to replace Alfie.

Genuinely a bit perplexed why so many seem to hold him in extremely high regard.

Just seems to me a decent, talented but injury prone guy. Anderlecht finished 4th and 8th I think since he has been there, he hasn't troubled anywhere near thr top of the scoring charts?

Why the clamour for him?

He was our top scorer (Leeds) Prior to moving to Anderlecht, in what is a better league, you get anywhere near 20 million for Morelos and get Roofe in you are doing great business. The Championship has moved on and is now better than the SPL, that said Rangers could mix it with the bottom half of the EPL on any given day assuming fans are part and parcel of the deal, sides like Brighton and Southampton would crumble under the atmosphere. Any way best of British for this season (just a thought if this season can be played without fans how come last season couldn’t have been finished the same way, or is that a stupid question knowing who the recipients of a tainted title were)

Oh well looks like my scouting analysis is about to be tested for real. Let’s hope I’m bumping this in 8 months time with a cigar and smug grin as we win the title thanks to a dynamic front 3.

Can’t wait to take Ross Wilson’s job. Haha.

[QUO
TE="ShootYouDown, post: 6579708, member: 2455"]
Tune
[/QUOTE]

Just watch you don't get slated for it.....

I know many won't agree, but I actually think our play up top and in the final third will actually improve when Morelos leaves. And I think the players around the forward area will benefit as a result.

I am excited by this opportunity to freshen things up in our attack/striking area and adopt a new approach. Because, as we saw again today, it continues to be an issue.

I agree we are far too predictable just now.

Think people need to understand whoever replaces Alfie will not be as good a player they may make us a better balanced team but they will not be as an effective individual

Seems a very defeatist thing to say players come and go we have won nothing with Morelos up top as the main man I hope we go from strength to strength with the new players.

Seems a very defeatist thing to say players come and go we have won nothing with Morelos up top as the main man I hope we go from strength to strength with the new players.
Not at all I said we could improve as a team but I do you think one player will replace his 30 goals we have to hope everyone steps up to fill the shortfall

Why the clamour for him?

Didnt age well.

Not at all I said we could improve as a team but I do you think one player will replace his 30 goals we have to hope everyone steps up to fill the shortfall
I think his league goals tally year on year will certainly be attainable, we will see I guess.

To be honest, I was getting bored of Morelos. We need a freshening up in the front line and boy have we got that now. I reckon we'll score 30+ more goals this season.

Just bumping this to let Ross Wilson know this bean counter is taking VR at the end of the year so he can offer me a job if he wants. :))

Reactions: TQ3
Back