Roofe receives 4 match ban and fine

Really harsh getting 4 game ban but I don't understand how Roofe doesn't see the keeper.

Only way I can give him a bit of leeway is that he committed himself and expected the keeper to back off, then it's too late for him to get his foot out the way when he realises the keeper is still going for the ball at full speed.

Not up to speed with all things UEFA and bans etc, is this normal for these incidents or are we special? Are they building a mitigating circumstances environment for Slavia's actions?

In terms of precedent, the FA denied Liverpool's appeal for Sadio Mane when he kicked Ederson in the head. Three match ban.

Really harsh getting 4 game ban but I don't understand how Roofe doesn't see the keeper.

Only way I can give him a bit of leeway is that he committed himself and expected the keeper to back off, then it's too late for him to get his foot out the way when he realises the keeper is still going for the ball at full speed.
He was looking at the ball all the way

Not up to speed with all things UEFA and bans etc, is this normal for these incidents or are we special? Are they building a mitigating circumstances environment for Slavia's actions?
It is yes. If UEFA deems a tackle bad enough there can be pretty much any suspension they want, others have been banned for similar or longer

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see Kudela get away with it just shows UEFA care more about fans booing their anthem than racism within the sport. Wouldn't be surprised if Kamara ends up with more punishment, horrible organisation.

How long do you think the ball was in the air for mate? He has milliseconds and it all happens quickly.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see Kudela get away with it just shows UEFA care more about fans booing their anthem than racism within the sport. Wouldn't be surprised if Kamara ends up with more punishment, horrible organisation.
Just seen he's got a 10 game ban, good. Should have ended his career.

As it stands Kamara is accused of assaulting a player. If proven it'll get him a 3 match ban, or longer ban if specified. Exactly the same rule Roofe is punished under.

Only 4 match ban I could find from a quick search was Luzhny of Arsenal in 2001 who chased an opposition player and punched him in the face. A bit of a different situation.

Following an investigation conducted by a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector regarding the incidents that occurred during the 2020/21 UEFA Europa League Round of 16 second leg match between Rangers FC and SK Slavia Praha on 18 March 2021, and the subsequent proceedings opened against Mr. Ondřej Kúdela and Mr. Glen Kamara, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has taken the following decisions:

- To suspend SK Slavia Praha player, Mr. Ondřej Kúdela, for the next ten (10) UEFA club and representative team competition matchesfor which he would otherwise be eligible to play, for racist behaviour, which includes the one-match provisional suspension served by the player during SK Slavia Praha’s 2020/21 UEFA Europa League quarter-final first leg match against Arsenal FC on 8 April 2021.

- To suspend Rangers FC player, Mr. Glen Kamara, for three (3) UEFA club competition matches for which he would otherwise be eligible to play, for assaulting another player.

This one is a ridiculous decision to me.

It was a clear red card but he's an attacker and has to try and score in that situation. He controls the ball and catches the keeper running directly at him on the follow through.

The keeper probably wanted contact and got more than he wished for.

Assault? That needs appealed, it was an accidental collision. It was a red card, absolutely no doubt but it wasn't an assault which is, by definition intentional.

Bit disappointed with that
He gets red carded PLUS a 4 game ban. Bit harsh imo

They’re classing that as assault? There isn’t any way possible you could class it as assault.
It’s a reckless challenge, that’s for sure, but assault intimates that it was on purpose which it clearly wasn’t.

They’re classing that as assault? There isn’t any way possible you could class it as assault.
It’s a reckless challenge, that’s for sure, but assault intimates that it was on purpose which it clearly wasn’t.

Needs appealed. Its not assault, end of story.

Rangers need to appeal Kemar's 4 game ban. Yes, it was a red card, but there was no intent to harm the goalkeeper, therefore, by definition, it can't be termed an assault.

I fully expect there to be appeals on each ban. How successful they will be is another matter. Interesting to hear Gerrard's take on it later.

UEFA really showing the way against racism.

1 game, and 2 black players from the same team get hammered.

1 player is banned for reacting to being called a monkey, and 1 is banned for what was admittedly a dangerous tackle, but is punished by a red card and ultimate ban.

So, White racist gets 10 game tickle on the belly.

Then, the White player's racist monkey slur = Same as the black player's reaction to being called a monkey + another player's bad tackle.

Shame on the Scottish football authorities if they sit and keep their mouth shut, as usual.

What Roofe did was dangerous and definitely a red card but it was accidental. Calling it assault is ridiculous.

If Roofe had went for it with his head, got there first, and took a knuckle sandwich to the face, resulting in similar injuries, would the ban be the same? Would that be assault?

We can jump up and down and scream our hearts out but who will be listening?

Surely as Rangers supporters we should know more than most about pigs and troughs and wholesale fraudulent doings?

These people (UEFA) have only got three things in mind ..... money, money, and more money, they don't give a Donald Duck about anything else...... Sometimes we must agree that these greedy lunatics have taken over the asylums in all football playing countries never mind .....UEFA.

They all don't give a damn about racism, it annoys me that the black players that play for these clubs don't open their mouths, as you can't tell me that Kamara was a one off.
So, we can only assume it's money again that is the route of their silence .... Shame on them all........ What about your brothers...... Brother?

For UEFA to make that sort of decision on Roofe tells you that the football bodies know F ...all about football or the dynamics of a person's body and brain!

The governing bodies seem too think a player can stop in mid flight, and move out of the way of a goalkeeper who has also made a bad decision in charging from his goal like a maniac helping to cause the collision?

If the boot was on the other foot would the keeper have been given the same penalties as Roofe?
Maybe a penalty against, maybe a sending off but I can't see him getting a four match ban.

We see the same thing every week in games here and abroad where a player runs into a static player and gets the foul?
We're is the static player supposed too go? Is he supposed to run away if he can?

These type of accidents will continue till footballers learn to hover or fly and it's statuary that all referees are required to have a brain?

What was the full extent of the keepers injuries?
Reason I'm asking is Roddy Forsyth on 5 live is saying it was a fractured skull, I wouldn't have thought he would have been cleared to play against Arsenal if it was.

We should fight this. It’s a slur on our name to suggest we bahaved improperly. They are buying Slavia’s lie. As for Roofe, it wasn’t assault. It was a wreckless tackle and a red card, not assault. Surely this decision can be challenged even if only on the basis of the language.

This further reinforces the point that UEFA have handed out the same treatment to both clubs to appear evenhanded in the hope this will just go away. We receive a total of 7 game bans and a fine and Slavia get a 10 game ban for one of their players.

Where is the sanction against Slavia for improper conduct? Surely defending a racist and making false accusations about an opponent is worse than a single bad tackle? They should get the book thrown at them for bringing the game into disrepute.

Back