Rookie manager learning the ropes.

bLuE PirAtE

I have never believed that Gerrard's first Season would end in title no. 55. A piece of silverware and league runners up would be real progress would it not?
Stevie G is still learning and the season is not a quarter gone. I think we need to lower our expectations and allow him to find his feet as a manager. Im sure good times lie ahead with SG... But we need to be patient.

I never expected miracles and I didn't expect to be winning the league at the first attempt.

Purely in response to the thread title, we are not a club for a rookie cutting his teeth and having an easy introductory course in management. We also are not a club that is an easy project for an experienced manger.

The manager, I'm sure, is aware of that and I'm fully behind him.

I never expected miracles and I didn't expect to be winning the league at the first attempt.

Purely in response to the thread title, we are not a club for a rookie cutting his teeth and having an easy introductory course in management. We also are not a club that is an easy project for an experienced manger.

The manager, I'm sure, is aware of that and I'm fully behind him.

Gerrard is a rookie manager... And he Is cutting his teeth at Rangers. How can you deny that?

Gerrard is a rookie manager... And he Is cutting his teeth at Rangers. How can you deny that?
Apologies...What I was trying to convey in my post is that it cannot be used as an any sort of excuse because we are not a club for it.

I have never believed that Gerrard's first Season would end in title no. 55. A piece of silverware and league runners up would be real progress would it not?
Stevie G is still learning and the season is not a quarter gone. I think we need to lower our expectations and allow him to find his feet as a manager. Im sure good times lie ahead with SG... But we need to be patient.
I don't harbour expectations other than that he put the foundations of a decent squad together, give us some respect back, and make progress in his own development.
Then it is a matter of taking each game as it comes and along the way, I feel that if the manager becomes all that he can be and the squad keeps improving then let us see what happens.

I am enjoying this season immensely....today apart, .........and I am already looking forward to Thursday.
Anyone who isn't is a strange person in my opinion.
Steven Gerrard has prepared a banquet for us and quite honestly we are really still on the appetizers and it is already proving to be a feast and a half.

Everyone’s expectations have been raised as a result of his so far (mostly) excellent start to the season and some people would do well to remember that. He has almost been a victim to his own success in that regard, and although he has given us reason to raise our hopes for this season, we still need to give him the chance to find his feet as a manager and not push him out the door because we have got carried away.

While I do agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of the OP, the title is there for the taking this season. Not mounting a serious challenge would be something that we would look back on with regret. Still early days though.

Gerrard has made a very encouraging start to his managerial career. He has good people around him, recruitment has been excellent, he has exceeded expectations in qualifying for the EL Group Stage and started that with an impressive draw away at a La Liga side. He has made short work of the opposition in domestic cup competitions and home league form has been everything we could hope for. The only blip currently is our away league form. He gives every impression that will be a very good manager. But the emphasis is on WILL BE. He's not there yet and it would be ridiculous to think he would be. There will be setbacks. Anyone who can't grasp that is in cloud cuckoo land. I believe he will learn from every one of those setbacks however and improve week on week, month on month and year on year. He also brings huge kudos to the club, across the UK and abroad - essential for us as we try to rebuild our reputation. I'll take that all day long, than trade it for a 'finished article', such as McInnes, who is as good as he's ever going to be IE not very.

It’s a steep learning curve at Rangers we’ve got it right for the most part at home now we have to start winning away I’m pretty sure we will start to get it right I just feel the midfield was wrong yesterday plus leaving out Katic didn’t help that Alfredo wasn’t at it and lafferty couldn’t get into it pretty poor all round really in front of a massive away support

Despite what has happened in recent years we as Rangers fans have DNA to expect League wins.

Results and performances like yesterday and we become more realistic.

Couple of good results we are back to "maybe, just maybe". Even more good results and plenty think 55 here we come. :)

Gone by Christmas who is talking shit.
Our expectations should never be lowered anything less than the title is failure at Rangers but the reality is SG is learning as he goes.
The rotating of players has to settle down and getting consistency is a must.
Other than two games mhanks and yesterday we’ve been good. Cut out this kind of performance and we can be great. Let’s see how we react to yesterday. Since 2012 no Rangers manager has been able to lift the lethargy and deliver a positive performance after that type of game. Now let’s see what Stevie and the squad is made of.

This rush to make narratives are something I'm wary of either listening to or reading about. Gerrard is doing a very good job here; I'm going leave it at that.

Last edited:
Gerrard is doing better than i thought he would,it can only get better in my book.there is a vast improvement on and off the pitch to what we had in previous years.

Yesterday was shite and we are all pissed off

What we do moving forward will tell us a lot about the manager and his coaching staff

Yes I think our expectations are too high.

It’s clear Morelos and Lafferty in a 4-3-3 doesn’t work away from home anyway.

We need to get the tactics and team formation sorted. We had no shape at times yesterday and whilst the plastic pitch didn’t help us the basic fact is the team were very poor

Let’s see how we get on against Rapid Vienna and then a huge game against Hearts. A lot of work to be done and we need to be patient. We cannot get away from the fact that this is a brand new team and we cannot just turn up and be handed a win in any game. We need to earn a win and yesterday we got what we deserved.

No time to panic but we need it sorted and the manager needs to accept he picked the wrong team yesterday.

I thought performances like yesterdays were a thing of the past ...Livi were winning every loose ball and just looked more up for it .

Maybe if fans stopped the over reactions and shouting “the tide is turning” and “we are going to win the league” after we beat Dundee and they drop points.

It has to stop. We and they will both continue to drop points. Gerrard needs our full backing.

People seem to forget just how bad we have been for years.
The league is possible although unlikely, runners up will be dissapointing but will still be a success if we put up a good fight and set ourselves up for a real go next season.

%^*& me he's had one transfer window and built a whole you squad what he's done so far is nothing short of amazing and the next Transfer windows we can start bringing in quality not quantity which will also make a difference

He's made vast improvements on and off the pitch and I've enjoyed the season so far.

I was never one thinking 55 is on the way. In saying that we should be beating Livingston

Considering how inconsistent we’ve been, how many games we have to play now and the fact Gerrard is new to job, folk really need to stop talking about May and focus on a game at a time. Maybe that way they won’t be as hysterical after a game, whether it’s been won or lost.

I'm sorry no, the minimum expectation at Rangers is the league title, did I think it would happen when he was appointed, no, however i'll never lower my expectation that anything other than 1st place for Rangers is acceptable.

I've not seen that anywhere. If there is people with that opinion they can get to %^*&

You're lucky mate.

There was a roaster in the match thread after full time saying were it not for our European results Gerrard would have been sacked by now.

I think Gerrard's biggest challenge will be reconciling his personal standards with what he saw from the team yesterday. While it'd be wrong to discount the effect of formation and personnel changes the core truth is you're not going to win games if you approach them like the players did at Livingston. They didn't fancy the pitch so they tried to play safe and in doing so disrespected this manager who deserves much better, they delivered a Murty-esque performance for Steven Gerrard. They, again, shat on the club, the fans and the management team.

I hope he goes right through the shameless, spineless bastards.

Gerrard and Mark Allen have over achieved in terms of first season expectations and the bar is now higher than it should be.

They have brought in some great players and built the basis of a solid squad. We have over achieved in Europe and put in some solid performances in the league.

Yesterday brought us down to reality.

Reached the group stages - Over achieved
A cup final, maybe even a trophy and 2nd in the league with a solid squad and back room staff will be a good 1st season.

This place is mental sometimes. Last week we were the best thing since sliced bread and 55 was as good as in the bag. This week with some we're total shit and a crisis is at hand. Win next weekend and we'll be back to skooshing the league again. The truth is we're a work in progress. With so many new players and a new manager poor results are inevitable and were we to win the league this year it would be remarkable.

People have to remember where we were less than 6 months ago, shipping NINE goals without reply in two games to the scum that were frankly a disgrace to the name of Rangers Football Club. We should be beating teams like Livingston and the away form has to improve. But talk of SG out by Christmas, crisis and the rest is just plain crazy. We're on the right road and it just needs patience, though that is something the Rangers support often lacks. I for one think things are going reasonably well at the moment and we can win a cup or two, and the league is still not out of the question if we sort out this away form slump.

You're lucky mate.

There was a roaster in the match thread after full time saying were it not for our European results Gerrard would have been sacked by now.
I think if the club sacked the manager without giving him more than one season, I would probably just give up on them.

We’re not going to make progress if we keep sacking managers.

Personally when we first signed SG, a decent European run, a cup win and second in the league was what most people wanted, but now tunes have been changed.

I think his second season will be the one.

The mentally challengeds have made their worst start in 20 years. They've had a disastrous transfer window (something which I have said would be our opportunity to take back the league for years on the old site) and look in disarray.

We're blowing our chance. The bulk of that team have won 2 trebles and were undefeated for one of them. Eventually they'll start consistently winning as they are accustomed to doing. We have had a chance to put some distance between us and havent done so.

We'll come to regret our wasteful ways of the early season.

I think I've allowed myself to get swept away in the hype a bit and had started to really believe we had a great chance at this league title but I have re-aligned my expectations after the start to the season.

2nd place and a cup is probably the best we can hope for as we build stability back into the squad.

We are still in a much better place than before. We don't have a huge squad so every last bit will be squeezed from our players. The fact that we are in Europe adds another dimension and set of demands on the team. We need to temper our expectations while appreciating all the positives.

In no way did I think we would win the league this season,unlike posters on here who want to be seen as pure loyal bears... as for the rookie manager,yes he is but hees got a great coaching staff around him.
My only fear is if we get beat next week 2nd could be hard. He needs to play a settled team.. and players need to play on merit...
We cannot afford to fall further behind...

He is doing well but has reached his first big hurdle:

"I believe I am right....at a gut level....but on the pitch it's not working."

In this case it is constant rotation and two up front. He has ideals and beliefs but is hitting reality. I believe he can and will master it and move on.

Everybody understands that SG is learning the ropes, thats fine we knew what we were getting in the summer.

The issue here is making the same mistake twice.....away to Motherwell and now away to Livingston.

Lafferty is not a wide player and the 2 best centre halves we have at the club must start every game unless they are not fit or suspended.

The reaction on here to a bad day at the office makes things seem alot worse than they are.

Europe-wise we've exceeded all expectations. Domestically it's been a slow start with plenty to improve on. The most important thing is that we're not adrift - the all-conquering "miles ahead" yahoos haven't won an away game yet either. What it maybe suggests is that winning away from home in this league isn't as easy as we'd like to believe, especially with a brand new team and manager.

That said, Sunday is a game where a defeat would really damage us.

Defeat on Sunday (we will win though, I am certain of it) would leave us 11 from 24 available points and in a mini crisis...no other word for it.

Back