Rory Wilson

Tomted

Just picked up this disappointing news.

Scots wonderkid Rory Wilson confirms Rangers exit as Aston Villa favourites to sign 49-goal striker

glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/20161899…

Other than Billy Gilmour, who rather lucked in with Chelsea's transfer ban and Lampard & Morris taking over, have any of these 16y/o wonderkids that have left Scottish teams actually made it? Seems to me the ones that succeed have played at least 1 or 2 seasons in Scotland then moved... Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, Hickey in Italy...

Other than Billy Gilmour, who rather lucked in with Chelsea's transfer ban and Lampard & Morris taking over, have any of these 16y/o wonderkids that have left Scottish teams actually made it? Seems to me the ones that succeed have played at least 1 or 2 seasons in Scotland then moved... Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, Hickey in Italy...
Dire Mebude looks like he could make a name for himself down there. 11 goals and 18 assists in 18 games in the u18 prem league. I’m sure he just signed a new contract too. But you are correct. Generally they fizzle away.

Anyone in their position would do the same here , let's not kid ourselves on that the money available down there changes families life's
Change families' lives?

So the young boy gets a lucrative move and removes his poor downtrodden parents from biting poverty.

A bit of a romantic, nostalgic notion. If my kids hit the jack pot, they do it for themselves. In fact, they all still get a third of my worldly wealth when I go.

Because it dulls their ambition and stagnates their football development - and the competition is superior.

Remember his Dad posting on here when he signed, saying it was the proudest moment of his life. Wonder what changed? £££££
You sure it was his Dad, would be surprised if he has a login for FF. A follower of the dark side, always played with a tim strip on his back when he kicked a ball about.

It can be life changing and in a world thats not looking too good, life changing changes meaning. If the lad has had that, then good luck to him.

I really don’t get why any kid would want to leave Auchenhowie these days but £££ talks especially if you’re not from the Rangers way of life. The future looks fantastic under Gio and his management team.
it creates a space for another talented lad to fill and the way the pathway to the first team is lighting up we will hopefully be pinching more Bassey‘s along the way.
I’ve a sneaky suspicion we’ve got a crop of 5/6 players seeing their way from the academy to the first team squad over the next 2/3 years.

Fair enough, look after number one as is the way with football.
But at 16 with absolute no experience talking about “time for the next level”, what is that?

Very very difficult for strikers to break through and make it for us - they simply don't have the luxury of time. Good luck to him and we'll get handsome compensation I'm sure for a largely untested player.

"Off to the next level" he said, ffs you have not even reached the first one yet.
I did watch a few youth games on RTV and tbh he never showed much, Ure looks by far the better player.
It is the way of the world now £s over prizes.
Ure is two years older to be fair mate!

It is a tough one. There are a lot of reasons why a youth player would be attracted to a rich EPL club, more money is the obvious one, but they will also probably be training with better coaches and playing against better players at the youth level.

The main attraction we have that we can use to try and keep youth players is promise them game time with the first team, if we can't guarantee them that them the main attraction for them to stay disappears.

It is a tough one. There are a lot of reasons why a youth player would be attracted to a rich EPL club, more money is the obvious one, but they will also probably be training with better coaches and playing against better players at the youth level.

The main attraction we have that we can use to try and keep youth players is promise them game time with the first team, if we can't guarantee them that them the main attraction for them to stay disappears.

They also have a better setup for youth development than we do in Scotland so another reason for them go head down there.

Back