Ross County boss Hughes backs Rice’s slamming of referees – claiming last call to Hampden felt like Beadle prank

So I’m a ref I’m asked what team I support eh east fife ok you can have the next old firm great we win 5-0 ... if this is how our game is run we are done.
It happens down south the refs have to declare who they support and once they do that they're not allowed to referee any of that teams matches.

It wouldn't work up here as majority of refs in Scotland are from the central belt. I mean tims wouldn't want to lose their biggest asset in games with Clancy and Robertson for example. The comments which appear aimed at Beaton are spot on just have to look at how Gerrard was dealt with by him at Livingston as soon as a camera was on him out came the red card.

Seems hard to imagine they favour us when most of these teams are allowed go about continually fouling our players before a card comes out. Was it not Cosgrove who had almost double figures at one point and im not sure he even got booked.Also that wee guy Soro from them never stopped fouling. Some of our guys are in the book with there first tackle.

I remember a certain club causing a referee strike- foreign referees were brought in and the foreign referee who was in charge of the game featuring the club who caused the referee strike in the first place - this foreign referee made more blunders in this one game than the striking referees done all season.

although I agree that referees should be full time- they also need to be competent and fully accountable and be questioned publicly over decisions and their actions - with suspensions and fines for incompetent decision making that have proved to be wrong

Yes we're all exasperated with refs but i'm failing to see what impact a referees 'old-firm team of choice' has on decisions in Ross County v St Mirren, Hibs etc.
I think he inferring that Rangers & Eastenders get ’softer’ decisions against other clubs.

It seems that everybody in Scottish fitba likes the sound of their own voice at some point or other, but for all the hot air from these big tough, straight-talking guys...nothing ever changes.

Aye, sure the chances are that referees will be mostly from the central belt, and will quite likely support either Rangers or the bheasts, but the incidents that these disgruntled managers cite here are in matches not involving Rangers or them, so what exactly is their point, other than letting off steam because they think they've been hard done by?

Sports journalism in Scotland is a farce.

In what way would full-time referees improve the situation?
Full time would mean more time spent learning and practicing, more devotion to the role. Part time means only part devotion to the job.

Full time referees seem to be the standard in other professional leagues, so why would you not want to emulate that?

This was always going to happen, the smaller clubs know Celtic run the game and as above have helped them take complete control, so its no surprise when the teams at the bottom are on the end of decisions they disagree with they then believe it could be bias. I doubt it myself but you never know if someones gambling on cards or other bets.

It would be easily done easy to get away with, i certainly dont trust our refs or anyone training them or picking appointments.

The clear bias in our league is against Rangers. It maybe wasnt too bad last season with no fans and a lack of any sort of challenge from Celtic but next season will be different.

I think the stuff about a poor standard is bollocks, as if training and more money will make any difference. If we had bad refs they would make mistakes which upset Celtic, never happens, none of these comments or articles ever come from the piggery or any journo cheerleaders that support or assist Celtic in every situation.

Ask your clubs to vote this cabal out. Until then you are shouting in a void.
This is the answer, but they have had enough chances to do it but never. Rangers gave them a great opportunity but because of their own dislike of Rangers or maybe fear of the powers-that-be, they backed the status quo!:(

W.A.T.P.

Full time would mean more time spent learning and practicing, more devotion to the role. Part time means only part devotion to the job.

Full time referees seem to be the standard in other professional leagues, so why would you not want to emulate that?
Dont think it would make the slightest difference up here, you only have to look at some of the decisions from refs who are full time throughout Europe. Horrendous. VAR with both teams allowed max 2 or 3 challenges per match is the way to go for me.

No offence to Mr T but, I'm amazed you had to explain that. Some of these guys have highly stressful jobs, which require a massive commitment in their own right. It's no surprise that their judgment might not be quite where it should be. That's not to say they won't/can't make mistakes as full time refs but surely doing so gives them a much better chance of being, well, better?

The very definition of a rant.
Doesn't mean he's not made some decent points though.
Aye, you're right, Yogi does like to make a noise, tedious mostly but has a fair point about our Refs, some of the decisions are bordering criminal but ask myself who the f**k would want to be a Ref ..eh ...must has a banal masochistic streak with a desire for authority and dire costumes.

While referees are infuriating and sub standard, the reason Ross County is bottom of the league is not poor refereeing, John.
It's because your team's shite.

Every manager can claim lost points from poor refereeing, but he, of course, is a bigger victim than anyone else.
Such a shock, that.

John , did you get hit on the head with a coconut....there's no such thing as a Rangers supporting referee ffs.
Outwith this forum many supporters, and I don't include the scum, see Madden, Beaton, Dallas, Collum and McLean as pro us. Clancy and Robertson are seen as having leanings the other way.

I think this can only be a good thing
The more people call out poor refereeing the better IMO

I'm not naive enough to think it'll make an enormous difference any time soon - but increasing complaints - from as diverse sources as possible - may hopefully, eventually, result in improvements

I can't say I've ever thought the standard of refereeing in Scotland has been of a high standard - but right now it's obviously getting worse

I'm saying that on the back of what has obviously been a great season for us - but despite that - we've still suffered from some pathetic decisions

He s totally correct about the Rangers/ scum thing only it goes totally against us on both fronts.
Upstanding people who are brougfht up Rangers have principles in life about openess ,fairness and playing by the rules but some of them go out off their way to be lienient to the other side for fear of being seen to be favouring their own. The scum on the other hand don't even try to hide their leanings .It applies in all walks of life with them ,not just in football .Out and out cheats in everything they do in life
Would full time refs solve it.....nope .... only refs from outside the Scottish set up will make any dent in it plus the intro of var as,despite it clearly having issues to iron out ,it does get the majority of calls correct down south

What is this nonsense about refs naming which team they support? They’ll all just lie about it anyway.

I’d love to ref a Rangers game if I were a referee. Not for any bias or cheating reasons, but it’s probably as close as you’ll get to playing at Ibrox.

What team they support should be irrelevant it’s the fact they’re either a) incompetent, at best or b) cheating bastards we should be worried about.

This sounds like a description of Beaton so no surprise to see him named later in the article

And yet strangely last night I listened to an article on the SFA site with our top referees and Beaton was asked what what one rule he would change if he could...his answer? Having to book players for celebrating goals! He hates that crap. Now that was a shocker given how we think of him.

Outwith this forum many supporters, and I don't include the scum, see Madden, Beaton, Dallas, Collum and McLean as pro us. Clancy and Robertson are seen as having leanings the other way.
I'm intrigued as to where this information came from , was it a survey carried out by yourself , and if so how many were involved . ? Maybe your definition of MANY differs from the norm

I'm intrigued as to where this information came from , was it a survey carried out by yourself , and if so how many were involved . ? Maybe your definition of MANY differs from the norm
My job involves travel (normally) around the country. My work colleagues support various teams. I've also family in Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth.. So, leaving aside your feeble attempt at being snide, yes I believe I've been made aware of views of supporters of Many clubs! However if you have a different definition of "many" feel free to share.

My job involves travel (normally) around the country. My work colleagues support various teams. I've also family in Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth.. So, leaving aside your feeble attempt at being snide, yes I believe I've been made aware of views of supporters of Many clubs! However if you have a different definition of "many" feel free to share.

You seem to be getting a wee bit angry which is reflected in your confusion , so I'll refrain from challenging your expertise in the mindset of all football fans outside the old firm. I would stick my neck out and say that the ones you have asked , numbers wise , are in the minority of the actual available to you for your survey , or maybe you just restrict it to work colleagues and family ? . Many Many Thanks.

Ps..don't take it too serious mate , my o. p. was a bit tongue in cheek

Would you trust a referee to tell the truth about what team he supports? They lie about incidents on the pitch as it is. They lie about what they see or don't see,about what they hear or don't hear.
Until they are held to account for inept or cheating performances nothing will change. They are well protected by the authorities and we know how corrupt they are.

You seem to be getting a wee bit angry which is reflected in your confusion , so I'll refrain from challenging your expertise in the mindset of all football fans outside the old firm. I would stick my neck out and say that the ones you have asked , numbers wise , are in the minority of the actual available to you for your survey , or maybe you just restrict it to work colleagues and family ? . Many Many Thanks.

Ps..don't take it too serious mate , my o. p. was a bit tongue in cheek
So... What survey or evidence have you based your assumption on. Or are you just extrapolating your own mind and coming up with an answer?
Thanks for playing anyway!

So... What survey or evidence have you based your assumption on. Or are you just extrapolating your own mind and coming up with an answer?
Thanks for playing anyway!

Well I'm afraid I can't return the compliment ......here's a thought , .maybe the people you've been engaging in conversation ( if they actually exist)) are only winding you up (but you can't see it )then that would be an idea for a whole new survey ?

Well I'm afraid I can't return the compliment ......here's a thought , .maybe the people you've been engaging in conversation ( if they actually exist)) are only winding you up (but you can't see it )then that would be an idea for a whole new survey ?
Why do you want to pick holes in a) the range of people I've spoken to. b) their subsequent opinions c) their actual existence?
I see you've actually had a thought of your own! Keep up the good work survey monkey !

Gave up after the 2nd paragraph - a total rant which most footballing people
know already, the poor standard of our referees at all levels.

I suppose Hughes sermon detracts from his main problem County are rank bad
and look destined for one of the two bottom places.
Think you will find Yogi is correct in what he says, they have had some terrible decisions against them.
Rank bad or not .....that is not the issue

JOHN HUGHES has launched a blistering attack on refs — and claimed his last call to Hampden beaks felt like a Jeremy Beadle prank.
Ross County gaffer Yogi hit out days after Hamilton boss Brian Rice slammed officials and SFA referees’ chief Crawford Allan.

Both managers claim their teams have been on the wrong end of decisions.
Hughes even suggested many whistlers are Old Firm fans.
He said contacting Allan is so pointless he feels like he’s wandered into an episode of 1980s hit TV show Beadle’s About.
Yogi said: “When you phone up, what a phone call — you are waiting for Jeremy Beadle to jump out!

“I am serious, you are looking for Beadle to appear.
“You are on the phone asking, ‘Is this for real’?
“I have never been patronised so much in all my life.
“I’m 56. I have played the game and I have been brought up with my gut and my character.
“I know it and I’ve seen it with my own eyes and I am getting that on the phone, it is just embarrassing.
“Brian Rice had a rant and I have his back that’s for sure.”

Hughes repeated his call for full-time refs in the Premiership and wants experienced whistlers for the bottom-six run-in, as County fight for survival.
Willie Collum has been appointed for Saturday’s crucial drop-zone clash at Kilmarnock.
But the Staggies boss insists Scottish refereeing is filled with fans of Celtic and Rangers.
Hughes suspects those alleged Old Firm allegiances are why the SFA doesn’t publicise which clubs whistlers support.
In England, refs have to declare what team they follow and the situation is audited each season. But that doesn’t happen north of the border.

Hughes added: “I asked the question of a certain referee about his team.
“I was told we don’t ask our refs which team they support because half of them wouldn’t be able to referee Rangers and Celtic — that’s the reason why!
“Going full-time would help them, but one or two referees have had a personality bypass as there is no talking to them.
“They put that wee uniform on and they are running about out there. They should just calm down and take a notch off their jockstrap.
“Part of being a referee is about having a bit of banter, your people skills and the way you conduct yourself.”

Rice hit out at officials and Allan’s handling of complaints after two penalty controversies in the Scottish Cup defeat to St Mirren last weekend.
Hughes said: “I heard my mate Brian the other day after their game and I was laughing — but not at him.
“I stand by him. But try being the Ross County boss, Chipper!
“With the penalty against Hibs, you are having a laugh.
“The penalty against St Mirren, with the boy Greg Aitken, you are having a laugh. They were absolutely horrendous decisions.
“I was laughing at that because I know what you are going through, Brian. I feel your pain, but ours is WORSE than yours. We could be sitting with a few more points because I think we have had a couple of really shocking refereeing decisions.
“The one against Hibs was with John Beaton. We never get a penalty, but there have been plenty against us.

“Although I am laughing at it, I feel I am together with Brian. Everything he is saying, he is saying for me as well.
“Everything he says, I agree with. I agree small clubs get absolutely nothing.
“Somebody will say, ‘Here he goes, ranting and raving’, but I am not. The proof is in the pudding and I have just highlighted two incidents. I don’t know why those decisions were given by two experienced referees. You expect better from them.
“It is easy being a referee. Just referee what you see and that is simple.
“I haven’t spoken to Chipper about what happened, but he has my backing 100 per cent and a little bit more.”
Rice claimed refs’ chief Allan isn’t interested in speaking to smaller clubs and Hughes agrees, insisting they feel patronised when they make calls.
He added: “I agree with Brian when he says with Crawford Allan you are wasting your time. That is why I would never phone him again to be patronised. You are having a laugh.
“Chipper has my backing, but try being the Ross County manager with the stonewall penalties we don’t get, or the soft ones that are given against us.
“If he had given that penalty we had against Hibs in an Old Firm game, there would have been an outcry.

“Something has to be done about it and there has to be some accountability.”
Hughes has been a supporter of full-time refs for years. The County boss is glad the crucial game with Killie this weekend will be overseen by Collum.
And while he knows young refs have to learn their trade, he doesn’t agree with the notion that it’s OK for them to take charge of only the smaller clubs.
He said: “The managers have to get together. The refs try their best, but I think they need a hand.
“I want them to go full-time because that would help them.
“How can I be in a league of 12 and it gets split where you can referee that team down there, but you can’t referee that team up there? That is not equality, that is rules for one and different rules for others. We need to highlight that, you can’t get away with that. It shouldn’t be going on, we are in 2021.

“I am at the same table as Celtic and Rangers and I play to the same rules. But we are treated differently, that has to be exposed.
“You have to ask the reason why. That is discriminating against my club.
“We had a rookie referee a couple of weeks before we had John Beaton — and he was miles better than him.
“But we need experienced guys from now on in. I want the best, and Willie Collum’s up there with the best.”
These two men are great buddies they use to drink in Whitburn together every now and again big Hughes is mental and not one of us but still a good man

Back