Match Thread ** Ross County v Rangers - 14:00 Sun 28th - Sky Sports **

Perhaps, I feel like Cummings could be a bigger danger to teams than Morelos if they were to play in a front two, why that is I'm not sure but could be down to Cummings setting the Scottish Championship alight with goals three seasons in a row and a lot more agile than Morelos is down to their builds. What Morelos adds is holding the play up for team mates, physicality and unbelievable shot power. Interesting to see who the faster player will be out the two.

think there isnt much between them pace wise buffalo stronger but i feel cummings is a better footballer to link up play

Just can't understand why certain posters are hell bent in getting Cummings into the team.

We've played 4-2-3-1 at the piggery and last Wednesday and it's the best we've played all season.

Cummings is a good addition to the squad, but he shouldn't be treated any differently from any other player.

He'll need to wait for his chance and take it when it comes.

I understand your point mate, I just feel that games against the so called lesser teams we can afford to play 2 up top. Against the better teams in the league 4-2-3-1 seems to be the way to go.

If a 4-1-3-2 is being considered effectively a 4-1-5 then we must’ve played effectivley 4-2-4 on Wednesday then.

In all likelkyness it’ll be the same team as Wednesday takes to the field tomorrow and I wouldn’t be upset about it, just trying to find away to accomodate a two up top.

Each to their own and all that.

I understand your point mate, I just feel that games against the so called lesser teams we can afford to play 2 up top. Against the better teams in the league 4-2-3-1 seems to be the way to go.

If a 4-1-3-2 is being considered effectively a 4-1-5 then we must’ve played effectivley 4-2-4 on Wednesday then.

In all likelkyness it’ll be the same team as Wednesday takes to the field tomorrow and I wouldn’t be upset about it, just trying to find away to accomodate a two up top.

Fair points mate.

I just think Murty likes the control of the midfield 4-2-3-1 gives us.
It didn't prevent us attacking any less and we created a stack of chances on Wednesday and the sheep really struggled to contain us.

I could easily see Cummings starting in Windass's position on Wednesday with Miller playing up front as Murty tries to rotate and rest certain players.
Docherty, Halliday, Cardoso and a couple of others could feature too.

Fair points mate.

I just think Murty likes the control of the midfield 4-2-3-1 gives us.
It didn't prevent us attacking any less and we created a stack of chances on Wednesday and the sheep really struggled to contain us.

I could easily see Cummings starting in Windass's position on Wednesday with Miller playing up front as Murty tries to rotate and rest certain players.
Docherty, Halliday, Cardoso and a couple of others could feature too.

Do you know what, it’s just Marvelous to have options now.

Always a tricky venue. Is it just me that feels we need to some how find a formation that means Alfredo has a partner to lighten the load for the wee man? I feel that he's putting in such a physical shift on his own that it's maybe affecting his finishing.
The wee man is shattered sometimes because he is putting in a power of work.

Always a tricky venue. Is it just me that feels we need to some how find a formation that means Alfredo has a partner to lighten the load for the wee man? I feel that he's putting in such a physical shift on his own that it's maybe affecting his finishing.
The wee man is shattered sometimes because he is putting in a power of work.

I actually think he prefers being up on his own mate.

He's brilliant at holding up the ball and playing others in.

I actually think he prefers being up on his own mate.

He's brilliant at holding up the ball and playing others in.
He may well do, and I agree, he is brilliant at holding the ball up, his all round game is great but if he does prefer being up top himself then we maybe need Windass or another to be closer to him to support him. Just reduce the work load and see if his finishing improves with better energy levels.

But how satisfied would he be if he had Cummings as a partner/ foil / outlet ?

How would you change it mate?

Don't you think that the formation last Wednesday, with Candeias, Windass and Murphy playing behind Morelos, with Holt and Goss deeper, allowed us to virtually control the midfield for the whole game, plus creating plenty chances?

I am feeling very very confident, i feel even if we went a goal down we have the squad who have each others backs now to pull us out of it.:)

Really buzzing for it.

And i have a stein glass awaiting to be filled. ;)

Last edited:
Hurricane style winds up here at the moment. It should drop a bit tomorrow morning but if it doesn’t there’s no way buses will get over the Kessock Bridge so best set off early

Last edited:
Following recent performances, the squad assembled, a point to prove and Ross County's poor form, I think we will run them ragged tomorrow. 4-0 to the teddies

Unchanged team for me.

The likes of Cardoso, Halliday, Docherty and Cummings should all start in the Cup game in midweek.

I'm watching the sheep match again just now and have noticed how many mid goal to front post ball/crosses Candieas delivered, that we didn't pick up on.
I am tempted to say drop Windass and play Cummings and Morelos up top.

Morelos Cummings
Murphy Goss Candeias
Can Holt fill the DM slot?
John Martin Bates Tav
Wes

I'm watching the sheep match again just now and have noticed how many mid goal to front post ball/crosses Candieas delivered, that we didn't pick up on.
I am tempted to say drop Windass and play Cummings and Morelos up top.

Morelos Cummings
Murphy Goss Candeias
Can Holt fill the DM slot?
John Martin Bates Tav
Wes

We've just gubbed Aberdeen and you want to shift Goss and Holt's positions in midfield and drop Windass?

Why?

We've just gubbed Aberdeen and you want to shift Goss and Holt's positions in midfield and drop Windass?

Why?

I'm sitting watching it again now and I said this in the match thread.

Windass releases the ball all too quickly, more often than not while we are breaking. He doesn't pull the defender in close enough to release us in behind, it means our attack is foiled. Yes he gets amongst goals but on the balance, he drops our attacking momentum too often.

Secondly.
We saw Candeias deliver five or six front post balls which no one picked up, if Morelos goes deep, back post then JC can go front where we can utilise these attacks.

Third.
Goss is an attacking MF not defensive, he has great vision and instinct, traits of an attacking MF player.

We could and should have put four or five past those sheep shagging tards, had we had a front post runner, even more.

Windass releases the ball all too quickly, more often than not while we are breaking. He doesn't pull the defender in close enough to release us in behind, it means our attack is foiled. Yes he gets amongst goals but on the balance, he drops our attacking momentum too often.

Secondly.
We saw Candeias deliver five or six front post balls which no one picked up, if Morelos goes deep, back post then JC can go front where we can utilise these attacks.

Third.
Goss is an attacking MF not defensive, he has great vision and instinct, traits of an attacking MF player.

We could and should have put four or five past those sheep shagging tards, had we had a front post runner, even more.

No doubt Murty will have watched it countless times since Wednesday.

Will be interesting to see if he sees it the same.

Goss has always been a deep lying midfielder mate.
He likes to dictate the tempo of the game.

We've seen in the past that Holt can't play the DM role, so can't see that happening.

No doubt Murty will have watched it countless times since Wednesday.

Will be interesting to see if he sees it the same.

Goss has always been a deep lying midfielder mate.
He likes to dictate the tempo of the game.

We've seen in the past that Holt can't play the DM role, so can't see that happening.

This is my third time watching it.

The reason I'm going for Goss over Holt (Besides Goss being more incisive in the sheep match - Holt ran his heart out, I am aware of that)
Between Goss and Holt I think that Goss has more punch and stands more firm in the middle. County seem to be more aggressive behind the ball than the sheep are, yet weak as piss in attack.
I know Holt can't play DM, but County being weak in attack and unable to counter, would give him more time and space to work. Personally I wouldn't have him on the park if McCrorie was fit, but that's just my opinion.
I just think we would be banging in more goals if we had two up top and I think that Morelos and JC would be a very threatening pairing.

I am in this way of thinking also, we have the supply. We could and should have put 4 or 5 past the sheep, Morelos missed some real sitters on Wednesday.
Now this is not me bashing him, it is a fact. Couple it with the amount of times the sheep gathered the ball up at the front post, two strikers would have made more of a meal of it, I reckon.

The other foot though, would we have been punished at the other end by giving too much space up?

Had Wes not been, also Tav in superb form, those misses we had, could have seen us lose.

We need to score more goals, the counter again is that we keep clean sheets.

It's tricky.

He might have but Morelos gave their defence a torrid time holding the ball up etc which led to chances being created, he is the whole.package.

aye Im not moaning about morelos contribution .. his effort and application can never be questioned imo .. he showed this when he went shoulder to shoulder against mckenna who is about double his height lol and won a corner for us ... i just think cummings is a better player all round ... but cant drop morelos when hes scoring and in form ... WATP

aye Im not moaning about morelos contribution .. his effort and application can never be questioned imo .. he showed this when he went shoulder to shoulder against mckenna who is about double his height lol and won a corner for us ... i just think cummings is a better player all round ... but cant drop morelos when hes scoring and in form ... WATP
Yeah dropping Morelos would be a very, very bad idea I reckon.

Yeah dropping Morelos would be a very, very bad idea I reckon.
defo would be .. top scorer in the league ... but id like to think cummings would be his ideal partner ... murty has the head ache of picking a formation to fit our best players in .... a welcome head ache that no manager has had in years .. its a great problem to have WATP

This is my third time watching it.

The reason I'm going for Goss over Holt (Besides Goss being more incisive in the sheep match - Holt ran his heart out, I am aware of that)
Between Goss and Holt I think that Goss has more punch and stands more firm in the middle. County seem to be more aggressive behind the ball than the sheep are, yet weak as piss in attack.
I know Holt can't play DM, but County being weak in attack and unable to counter, would give him more time and space to work. Personally I wouldn't have him on the park if McCrorie was fit, but that's just my opinion.
I just think we would be banging in more goals if we had two up top and I think that Morelos and JC would be a very threatening pairing.
All fair points. Another point to favour Gods is that Bates while great defensively needs some Ind to take the ball of his toe and Goss is better suited to that than Holt.
I think either same team as Wednesday or with Holt dropped to accommodate the two up front would both work tomorrow. Sometimes you just have to try it and see. Out of sheer curiosity I would favour the latter but because there is an element of the unknown, I think Murty will play safe and go with Wednesday’s team.
No reason why he couldn’t change it at half time if it’s not working though he rarely does so early. I hope at some stage we try out a Morelos Cummings partnership if only to see how it pans out. Would love to see young Docherty get his debut if only as a sub. As I said earlier the important thing is to win the physical battle in the first twenty, not to take the foot off the pedal, and not to let complacency creep in.
Really can’t wait till tomorrow.

defo would be .. top scorer in the league ... but id like to think cummings would be his ideal partner ... murty has the head ache of picking a formation to fit our best players in .... a welcome head ache that no manager has had in years .. its a great problem to have WATP

We must try Morelos and JC up top at some point, it is a must.

All fair points. Another point to favour Gods is that Bates while great defensively needs some Ind to take the ball of his toe and Goss is better suited to that than Holt.
I think either same team as Wednesday or with Holt dropped to accommodate the two up front would both work tomorrow. Sometimes you just have to try it and see. Out of sheer curiosity I would favour the latter but because there is an element of the unknown, I think Murty will play safe and go with Wednesday’s team.
No reason why he couldn’t change it at half time if it’s not working though he rarely does so early. I hope at some stage we try out a Morelos Cummings partnership if only to see how it pans out. Would love to see young Docherty get his debut if only as a sub. As I said earlier the important thing is to win the physical battle in the first twenty, not to take the foot off the pedal, and not to let complacency creep in.
Really can’t wait till tomorrow.

I miss Jack, as he is the solid good buffer between defence and MF, the out ball like you mention.

It has been and is actually an issue for us, that link up between defence and MF, we may then revert from using Wes as much as we do, instead opting for a quicker slid through ball from DM to MF, instead of the turn backwards to Wes.

Can't disagree about Holt, he did run his heart out against the sheep, but he is also not rugged enough imo.

If we get on top, get ahead of them, then Docherty should indeed get a 15-20 minute run out.

I am looking forward too it also, Wednesday has wetted my appetite.

He may well do, and I agree, he is brilliant at holding the ball up, his all round game is great but if he does prefer being up top himself then we maybe need Windass or another to be closer to him to support him. Just reduce the work load and see if his finishing improves with better energy levels.
I think it can only help him. All too often he is left exposed having to fashion and score the chance all in one. I think he and Cummings could be great for each other.

How would you change it mate?

Don't you think that the formation last Wednesday, with Candeias, Windass and Murphy playing behind Morelos, with Holt and Goss deeper, allowed us to virtually control the midfield for the whole game, plus creating plenty chances?

I agree with this. If Cummings was to start up top with Morelos it would have to be Windass that drops out. No chance you can play with one central midfielder.

Apart from the last 10 minutes at Ibrox we were absolutely fantastic so I don't expect anything but a good win today, I'll be watching the game in the Ibrox Bar Tenerife so don't want my holiday soured by something that shouldn't be. 0 -3

Apart from the last 10 minutes at Ibrox we were absolutely fantastic so I don't expect anything but a good win today, I'll be watching the game in the Ibrox Bar Tenerife so don't want my holiday soured by something that shouldn't be. 0 -3
Enjoy your holiday, I'm jealous.

We should be winning this today with a few goals to spare, start the game with a high fast tempo and we'll
come away with the 3 points today.
WATP

Reckon Murphy will cause their right back a lot of problems today.

I’m going for Candeias first goalscorer Rangers 2-1.
Let's hope so. I'm a big fan of Candieas but I'd like to see more of a goal threat come from the wide areas to take some of the pressure off the strikers.

Let's hope so. I'm a big fan of Candieas but I'd like to see more of a goal threat come from the wide areas to take some of the pressure off the strikers.

Candeias is a traditional byline type winger, so I wouldn't be expecting him to score many goals. Murphy cuts inside, it should be him and Windass chipping in.

Some of the crosses that were put in the box on Wednesday from Tav & Candeias were crying out for another striker to be on the park and attack the front post.

One of his big failings I think and one he could easily teach himself to overcome. He needs to drive on further , draw the defender and beat him or make the pass to a teammate as the defender comes in. Usually he passes to a team-mate in a slightly worse position and with the same task in front of him. It is frustrating as when he is one of of those runs , he has already beaten one defender with his pace. If only he had the confidence to take the second man on or to hold his pass for a second or two whilst he draws the defender in.

Reckon Murphy will break his duck today and Wes to get another clean sheet. 3-0 gers.

I'm just wondering where Dorrans plays in this team once fit. We seem to have an abundance of top notch midfield players when everyone is fit and available

Back