Ross McCrorie starts at Right Back tonight

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
Be interesting to see how he does there, won’t be the first player to be moved and find a position that suits them. He certainly has the athleticism and the dig to be successful if used there for rest of the season

If he does well could he be a possible long term replacement for Tav??

He played well on Saturday at right back after he come on. He was the best player on the park I thought.

Yes.

He's best suited to RB, or RWB.

No RB in our history will get the stats that Tav has. But that doesn't mean we won't have a very good RB, who contributes to a successful team.

Gerrard mentioned that he sees RM as a CM. But things change. RM has a better chance at RB. I think we'll seem him play there in the future.

Be interesting to see how he does there, won’t be the first player to be moved and find a position that suits them. He certainly has the athleticism and the dig to be successful if used there for rest of the season

He's played there plenty so far in his career.

Yes.

No RB in our history will get the stats that Tav has. But that doesn't mean we won't have a very good RB, who contributes to a successful team.

Gerrard mentioned that he sees RM as a CM. But things change. RM has a better chance at RB. I think we'll seem him play there in the future.
Honestly, what makes you think this?

I remember listening to an interview with Ian McCall, who had him at Ayr Utd, about 18 months ago and they were discussing Ross and spoke about his versatility. McCall thought that he would eventually settle as a right back.

Yes.

The real stats are silverware mate! And we should never forget it especially at our club, key passes into the box or cross completion/assists/penalties currently mean hee haw. Just ask Alec Cleland and Kirk Broadfoot...let alone Greig, Jardine, Stevens and Ricksen

Managed to lose a 3-1 lead to a 9 man Coventry. If Pompey plan on using him as a right back we shouldn't waste any time and just bring him back
Be petty and detrimental to the boys career plus under current laws we couldn't recall him in January. Which we are a Jack and Davis injury away from needing to do

Can they no train him to be a left back instead?

Be petty and detrimental to the boys career plus under current laws we couldn't recall him in January. Which we are a Jack and Davis injury away from needing to do
There's rules that stop us from bringing him back now if we wanted to? I know there's the limits on clubs you can play for in a season but didn't know that. Best bet is then that Jackett gets the boot and a new manager comes to their senses that he's a midfielder

There's rules that stop us from bringing him back now if we wanted to? I know there's the limits on clubs you can play for in a season but didn't know that. Best bet is then that Jackett gets the boot and a new manager comes to their senses that he's a midfielder
No but you can only have 2 clubs in one season, recall him and send him back out then he's away until next June!
Gerrard trusts Kenny Jackett, a new manger could be even worse. He got sent off (his fault!) His replacement seemingly is playing well, he lost the shirt! He needs to learn! That's why he is on loan, imagine losing a starting shirt knowing Aribo or Kamara were stepping in. Let's not panic, Portsmouth will play up to 60 games, he is 400 miles away from home it will be the making of him

The whole point of his loan move was to get 40/50 games in the defensive midfield role honestly if they can't play him in his correct position fucking bring him back and send him to a club that will use him correctly.

Was it?

I don't remember hearing those specific terms

Looking at twitter it appears that they have concluded he is not a RB after tonight's game. Ended up being moved back in the middle.

We rarely get the fine detail of the terms of a loan agreement but I can’t imagine we would agree to an incoming loan that specified we had to play someone in a specific position, so I wouldn’t expect we’d insisted on likewise with Portsmouth. I’m sure Ross will eventually return to midfield but, so long as he’s getting games and learning and developing, I’m sure Rangers will be happy enough.

Talk of recalling him after about 100 minutes as a right-back/wing-back is a nonsense.

Captain for 58?

Needs to play centrally, I really hope he fulfils his potential, could be a big player for us in years to come

He was sent to Pompey to play matches.
It doesn’t matter where he plays it’s the experience that matters. Fs Rio Ferdinand played at CM, CDM & RB at West Ham and credits that experience as helping him make it in the game. He needs to develop as a footballer especially with the ball if he ever hopes to make it with us.

Started off in a back three,until the left back went off injured then reverted to a four after going behind early doors.Only a suicidal substitution bringing on Burgess which in turn evened the match allowed Ross to push forward.He seemed bit lost imo I have a large collection of butt-plugs.

The lad need game time and is getting it. However, I am a little concerned about him filling in at RB. For me he is a def mid. Jackett might be on his way out of Pompey.
He is a good player but he does need to kick on down there. Is he good enough potentially to break into our midfield - I am not convinced but he is still young.

Only chance he has of making it with us is at CB. Not got the technical ability to play at CM. He played CB all the way thru his youth career. We had an Australian in the 90s who was shunted about between RB , CM and CB early in his career and he turned out a fine centre back .

Only chance he has of making it with us is at CB[/B]. Not got the technical ability to play at CM. He played CB all the way thru his youth career. We had an Australian in the 90s who was shunted about between RB , CM and CB early in his career and he turned out a fine centre back .

Steven Gerrard says the opposite of this. He is not a centre back.

Imagine being angry enough to swear about a youth player loan move.

Potential future Rangers captain going out on loan to gain match experience for when he returns to Ibrox and we have him as a midfielder that we could potentially build a team around and he gets punted out to RB.

I'd use swear words as well, cause that's a fucking joke and I'd have him back up the road pronto and loan him to someone up here - who will play him in midfield.

Only chance he has of making it with us is at CB. Not got the technical ability to play at CM. He played CB all the way thru his youth career. We had an Australian in the 90s who was shunted about between RB , CM and CB early in his career and he turned out a fine centre back .
I'm really surprised that the consensus on here is that he'll be a key centre mid for us in future. He clearly isn't technical enough. Ross McCrorie is a destroyer type centre mid, the kind of centre mid you can tell was a centre back. And Rangers don't need one. We play Steve Davis as our defensive mid for crying out loud. It's not popular on here to talk down McCrorie because for some reason he is wildly popular but imo his best chance of making regular appearances for Rangers is centre back or right back.

Ross McCrorie just turned 21 a few months ago.

He is a pup, with lots of time on his side to physically develop & technically develop.

He has lots of time to prove his worth to our club. Look at Alfie’s & Kent’s development last season. That is not unusual at such a young age.

I'm really surprised that the consensus on here is that he'll be a key centre mid for us in future. He clearly isn't technical enough. Ross McCrorie is a destroyer type centre mid, the kind of centre mid you can tell was a centre back. And Rangers don't need one. We play Steve Davis as our defensive mid for crying out loud. It's not popular on here to talk down McCrorie because for some reason he is wildly popular but imo his best chance of making regular appearances for Rangers is centre back or right back.
Totally agree, that destructive type of midfielder might only be required 8 times a season .

Many a class player has switched position at different stages - especially early in their career
RM will learn & add to his repertoire with this change of playing position - which is not an 'experiment' we could afford to practice if he stayed with us
If he does revert back to his original position he'll have gained more experience & more than likeley will improve as a result

It might not be everyone's first choice right now - myself included - but I can see the advantages if it works out & if it doesn't - it needn't cause any real damage as a result

Last edited:
He is not a right back, if I were Gerrard I would be telling the manager play him in the role we want to develop him in, or he comes back to us.
Looking at when he has played under Gerrard, his role is defensive midfield.

Young Ross played a lot of football at full back both right and left as a youngster, he then kind of transitioned into a centre back and again more recently in to centre mid.

I personally think Ross would have a better career as a right back in the long term. I don’t quite think he has the technical ability to play centre mid for us but has also got other great attributes that I think would be suited to right back.

I would love nothing much than to have a youth product come through and be a mainstay in our team but I’m also trying to be realistic as I I’m more concerned about us winning league titles as that should be our main goal.

I hope Ross proves me wrong I really do. Hopefully he gets the experience he needs a Pompey and comes back a better player.

Back