Ross Wilson on his way

I hope this is true but have to admit it’s based on second hand reports and the hype. Unlike players where you can see how good or otherwise they are. With DOF it’s difficult to assess what they’ve done in previous roles. We could name improvements made in MA’s time with us but very few, if any, could say what he did day to day, so what hope have we of assessing what he done at Southampton.

Southampton from the outside did seem a well run club, the talk of database of players with detailed stats for each player and their scouting networks does sound good so hopefully he’s given the budget to implement something similar up here.

I agree. There are a lot of people getting carried away with hype over the appointment, based on hype from others.

Like you alluded to, when signing a player you can have a fair understanding of the players attributes, going by what you can see with your own eyes. With this kind of appointment, you don’t really, really, know what you’re getting.

There’s a lot of talk on here of him ‘taking us to the next level’ - I hope he does, but it’s best to wait and see.

Buying players with EPL money and enticing players to EPL, is a different ball game to buying players with SPL money and enticing them to Scotland.

You wonder why an epl dof would come to us?
Be surprised if we can match wages and you'd think epl is way higher profile than spfl.
SG effect and/or something else?
Time will tell if this is a good appointment.
Don't know anything about this guy.
Welcome aboard sir.

1) Because we are Rangers
2) It's a Southampton Dof, not a brazilian midfielder.
3) Maybe like Mark Allen he wants a move closer to his roots, and see's a team/club with rising potential.
4) Correct.
5) Surprised at this, as he has been mentioned before and wasn't interested at that point in time.
6) Ditto.

Now that Borna has screwed the nut and nailed down the left back position i'm not overly bothered. Unless he is a Pele like no 10.

I agree. There are a lot of people getting carried away with hype over the appointment, based on hype from others.

Like you alluded to, when signing a player you can have a fair understanding of the players attributes, going by what you can see with your own eyes. With this kind of appointment, you don’t really, really, know what you’re getting.

There’s a lot of talk on here of him ‘taking us to the next level’ - I hope he does, but it’s best to wait and see.

Buying players with EPL money and enticing players to EPL, is a different ball game to buying players with SPL money and enticing them to Scotland.
Equally the spl level is significantly lower than EPL so that seems a moot point in many ways .

The challenge is finding players who fit and blend as a group . And are good , focussed team players .

Not impressed with this at all......there is no requirement for a DoF but Head of Recruitment then yes.

I think Dof and head of recruitment sort of intermingle. What i took out of the Mark Allen appointment was a wait and see attitude. To me it worked out well.

What i like and i might be wrong is, that for example mark allen identified players which he produced to the manager. The manager also identified players.

Hence, you have a situation where the manager can concentrate on the team/training/tactics. Have a situation where someone else is scouting players, yet the manager is also putting forward 2, 3 or 4 players he really wants with his own knowledge. If it works both ways, bingo.

Like anything in football the proof will be in the pudding, i wont pretend i know much about him except the small bits ive read but to have a young hungry guy looking to make an impact on an already pretty solid career is good, looking forward to what he brings or who he brings to the table.

Not impressed with this at all......there is no requirement for a DoF but Head of Recruitment then yes.

There certainly is the need for a DoF at Rangers.

Involved in all aspects of the business - planning, hiring and firing of managers, scouting, recruitment of players, long-term strategy and the improvement of facilities.

A good history and knowledge of football and the club, contacts across the game, the middle man between manager and board of directors, allowing the manager to focus on coaching, training, managing...

Hopefully this guy can not only bring players in but also sell a player which is something we have struggled with and in reality we are going to eventually have to.

Just seen Ross Wilson has resigned from Southampton. Too join rangers. Brilliant appointment. Can't wait to see the kind of players he will scout for us

I think Dof and head of recruitment sort of intermingle. What i took out of the Mark Allen appointment was a wait and see attitude. To me it worked out well.

What i like and i might be wrong is, that for example mark allen identified players which he produced to the manager. The manager also identified players.

Hence, you have a situation where the manager can concentrate on the team/training/tactics. Have a situation where someone else is scouting players, yet the manager is also putting forward 2, 3 or 4 players he really wants with his own knowledge. If it works both ways, bingo.

What ?

Any set of fans who see someone leave their club voluntarily are going to be like that. Many on here were the same about Mark Allan, despite Gerrard twice coming out and praising him to the heavens.

fair enough but the remarks are from 2018 to date. Also interesting that the saints fans are laughing at the daily record saying their facts are all wrong. Anyway let's hope they know nothing and our sources know what is needed.

Any set of fans who see someone leave their club voluntarily are going to be like that. Many on here were the same about Mark Allan, despite Gerrard twice coming out and praising him to the heavens.
All fans are the same I agree with this. Sotons do seem like right moaning gits, who do they think they are! Reads like they expect every player they ever sign to be great and getting it to Europe every year in that mad league. Should just be happy to stay up

fair enough but the remarks are from 2018 to date. Aalso interestig that the saints fans are laughing at the daily record saying their facts are all wrong.

Aye, I know. Basically from the point they went from being a club that finished 6th, 7th or 8th in the league and made it to cup finals to a club that escaped relegation on the last day. You know how it works, we’ve seen it at Ibrox. Things go wrong, scapegoats are required.

Not having a dig at you mate, just reminding folks of the fickleness of football fans. In the main, Wilson seems to be very highly regarded within the game. Let’s hope it’s another step in the right direction at a Ibrox.

All fans are the same I agree with this. Sotons do seem like right moaning gits, who do they think they are! Reads like they expect every player they ever sign to be great and getting it to Europe every year in that mad league. Should just be happy to stay up

my son said exactly the same however, i said well if someone looks at mark allen on here what will their thoughts be, certainly not overwhelmingly negative. When we signed aribo, i never looked what the daily record thought, i went on charlton fans forum. You often get a truer picture. just hope this time the saints fans are wrong.

Aye, I know. Basically from the point they went from being a club that finished 6th, 7th or 8th in the league and made it to cup finals to a club that escaped relegation on the last day. You know how it works, we’ve seen it at Ibrox. Things go wrong, scapegoats are required.

Not having a dig at you mate, just reminding folks of the fickleness of football fans. In the main, Wilson seems to be very highly regarded within the game. Let’s hope it’s another step in the right direction at a Ibrox.
Fair enough this. Football fans are fickle and there’s should just be happy to stay up down there. The finished 8th and fans got a manager sacked by not liking him I read. The French guy who went to Leicester

Thanks for taking the time to post that mate but I'm gona give it a miss I read one or two comments and I dont want other fans opinions to cloud my judgments on the guy. I will see how he does with us and hopefully he is the guy the club thinks he is and he can help take us to the next level.

I'm hoping it's just sour grapes on their part because he is leaving them for us lol

Fair enough this. Football fans are fickle and there’s should just be happy to stay up down there. The finished 8th and fans got a manager sacked by not liking him I read. The French guy who went to Leicester

Puel. They didn’t like the way he played. To be fair, they could barely score a home goal far less win a home game.

Puel. They didn’t like the way he played. To be fair, they could barely score a home goal far less win a home game.
The finished 8th and got to a cup final. They read like a proper clueless bunch to me. Anyway don’t care about Southampton. It’s all about the Rangers and a great appointment for us.

fair enough, and glad everyone will judge him themselves. Same as me. Just dont buy into the likes of the record bigging people up, especially if facts are wrong.

Back