Ross Wilson to recommend £2m Hearts left back Aaron Hickey(The Sun)

Fairly obvious the agent has phoned up the journo and told him Wilson agrees...boom, there's your story.

Absolutely nothing in it.

Also worth noting that 2m is %^*& all to Southampton whereas 2m is a sizeable outlay for us where positions need to be prioritised

Truth be told I haven't seen much of him

The £2M part is pure speculation and I’m surprised people are rising to it. He is a genuinely two footed player who can play right back every bit as well as left back, and is undoubtedly one of the best young players in Scotland. Something would be very wrong if we weren’t interested in him.

Sorry if I’m missing something but how can his first ‘recommendation’ be a player who’s been on our doorstep all season and who our staff would probably have seen more of than Wilson?

“Right lads got a player for you! Left back. You won’t have heard of him, Aaron Hickey his name is. Plays for Heart of Midlothian you won’t have heard of them either!”

I very much doubt that we would give any info to Warburtons go to journalist for the Sun. Total non story set up for clicks.

I actually think its a great deal, 2 million Turkish Lira works out at £267,397.51 considering he's a 1st team regular just over a quarter million pounds is a steal

From what I have read about Wilson and the way Southampton are set up is that Wilson's job is to put together and manage the structure for finding players rather than him being the one to identify signings himself.

Exactly how it is and how it will be at Rangers.

clear nonsense, hearts fans are convinced they have a deal agreed with City for Hickey in the near future.

Funny how it pops up days before a game v them

I don’t believe it for a minute. I don’t believe that Wilson would be tipping anyone the wink yet about signing targets and, as others have pointed out, lo and behold it is Hearts we play at the weekend. Nor do I believe that we are yet at the stage of being able to pay £2m for a 17 year old who has a few starts but for us would presumably be viewed as someone with upside potential rather than a first team starter.

But let’s suppose it is true. On one hand, fine I suppose you can say that you can’t ever argue with adding talent. But on the other hand I am not sure that it sends a great message to all of our young players who are battling to make the breakthrough. If I am reading the mood music correctly - and I hold up my hands and say that I don’t follow the U23s, U18s etc closely - the message over the last few years seems to have been that as of 5 years or so ago our youth talent simply wasn’t good enough but that the whole thing has been overhauled and is now in much better shape with some of the ones at U23 / U18 level now on the cusp of breaking into the first team squad and with even higher hopes for even more of the ones who are at U16s etc. If that is the case, should we not be promoting one or two of our own 17 year olds rather than buying one from Hearts? If Hickey is the second coming of an Andy Robertson or the like then fine. But if he is just a good young player with potential then I am not sure that I wouldn’t prefer us to focus on some of our own good young players who have potential. That would truly demonstrate the “pathway” that Gerrard, Mulholland etc so often talk about.

This isn't England - we don't spend amounts that aren't required on players we don't need. He may well be a good prospect for the future and good to have as back-up. However, I am not sure he's worth £2m never mind giving it to Hearts.

I am sure Ross will know that but I doubt he's ready to jump in and start arranging transfers without being in the role first. Unless of course this is one he's been keeping his eye on whilst in previous role.

The scum making shite up again,well who'd have thunk it eh?

If Halliday and Flanagan both move on next summer should we decide not to offer them new contracts,then of course we'll be in the market for a LB-but we won't be paying much for a back-up.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a loan come in from Liverpool or similar even.

I don't get this sell-on fee for the Dhims at all.

Hickey was with Hearts Youths. He then joined the Dhims Youths - for just 1 season. He rejected pro-terms with Celtic to return to Hearts just a season after joining the Dhims.

We are expected to believe that Hearts agree a 30% sell-on clause as part of that deal rather than having to pay the Dhims the requisite Development Fee they would have been due for the players single year at the Dhims? A Dev Fee which would have been, in the grand scheme of things, absolute buttons. Really?:confused: If that is correct then Hearts have made a monumental cock-up. I'm struggling to believe its true.

Hickey was with Hearts Youths. He then joined the Dhims Youths - for just 1 season. He rejected pro-terms with Celtic to return to Hearts just a season after joining the Dhims.

We are expected to believe that Hearts agree a 30% sell-on clause as part of that deal rather than having to pay the Dhims the requisite Development Fee they would have been due for the players single year at the Dhims? A Dev Fee which would have been, in the grand scheme of things, absolute buttons. Really?:confused: If that is correct then Hearts have made a monumental cock-up. I'm struggling to believe its true.

the add on chat will be an arse covering piece to ensure there fans don't go ape shite due to them letting the lad go then 18 month later he goes for 2mil

Hearts fans calling us for everything over this on their site

Tactics for Sunday according to them, absolute freaks if they think we would need to do something like this to beat them.

I don’t believe it for a minute. I don’t believe that Wilson would be tipping anyone the wink yet about signing targets and, as others have pointed out, lo and behold it is Hearts we play at the weekend. Nor do I believe that we are yet at the stage of being able to pay £2m for a 17 year old who has a few starts but for us would presumably be viewed as someone with upside potential rather than a first team starter.

But let’s suppose it is true. On one hand, fine I suppose you can say that you can’t ever argue with adding talent. But on the other hand I am not sure that it sends a great message to all of our young players who are battling to make the breakthrough. If I am reading the mood music correctly - and I hold up my hands and say that I don’t follow the U23s, U18s etc closely - the message over the last few years seems to have been that as of 5 years or so ago our youth talent simply wasn’t good enough but that the whole thing has been overhauled and is now in much better shape with some of the ones at U23 / U18 level now on the cusp of breaking into the first team squad and with even higher hopes for even more of the ones who are at U16s etc. If that is the case, should we not be promoting one or two of our own 17 year olds rather than buying one from Hearts? If Hickey is the second coming of an Andy Robertson or the like then fine. But if he is just a good young player with potential then I am not sure that I wouldn’t prefer us to focus on some of our own good young players who have potential. That would truly demonstrate the “pathway” that Gerrard, Mulholland etc so often talk about.
Exactly, seems little point in having an Academy if you then go and purchase a 17 year deemed, less than a year ago, to be not as good as your own players of the same age.

Not mad if we sign young players such as Hinckley and let him stay at Hearts for 2 or 3 seasons becoming a better player with weekly football.

2 Million is a bit steep but he's the type of player we should always be looking at. At 17 he wouldn't be moving Barasic, but would be replacing him when/if we sell Barasic for a tidy profit.

The kid's just as good at right back as he is on the left.I think he's going to turn out to be a very good young player in the not too distant future.
He would be a saleable asset if and when he needs to leave the club he maybe with at the time.

Sorry if I’m missing something but how can his first ‘recommendation’ be a player who’s been on our doorstep all season and who our staff would probably have seen more of than Wilson?

“Right lads got a player for you! Left back. You won’t have heard of him, Aaron Hickey his name is. Plays for Heart of Midlothian you won’t have heard of them either!”

Don't forget that these clubs down south appear to have top scouting systems, and will probably get the best chances to sign good players, before our Scottish clubs.

Honestly people make so much of the obvious.

IF this is accurate Wilson will have scouted him at his old club then the report has simply put thr two things together.

The lad joining us rather than Southampton is more complicated and ultimately rather less likely.

Did septic try for him before signing Taylor from Kilmarnock?
I don’t think so mate, however he looks a good prospect. The only other 17 year old fullback I remember performing at the highest level is biscuit hips. And we know how that turned out. I watched the Edinburgh derby where he scored and he didn’t look out of place one bit. Then again, both teams aren’t exactly great.

Honestly people make so much of the obvious.

IF this is accurate Wilson will have scouted him at his old club then the report has simply put thr two things together.

The lad joining us rather than Southampton is more complicated and ultimately rather less likely.

Yup. Hickey was linked with both Southampton and Man City just last month. Both can afford a £2m ‘gamble’ but it’s unlikely we will wish to do so.

Tactics for Sunday according to them, absolute freaks if they think we would need to do something like this to beat them.
The best bit is one poster saying we're a 'rival club' :D

He was at the tims for 4 years, joined them at u13. Played against my nephew in midfield

He was at the tims for 4 years joined them at u13

Transfermarkt has him going from Hearts to the Dhims in July 2017 and then making the reverse journey just a year later.

Even his profile on Hearts officials site says: “Aaron began his footballing career at Hearts before a brief spell with Celtic”.

There’s people claiming it’s a story to boost hertz/unsettle us somehow. I long for the days when you didn’t need a degree in journalism and psychology to read red tops.

Not mad if we sign young players such as Hinckley and let him stay at Hearts for 2 or 3 seasons becoming a better player with weekly football.
Another decent idea would be to identify and buy players that can play for our first team immediately

Not a happy bunny, since S. G. arrived most of our signings was hush hush, not plastered all over the papers in advance, something stinks here.

Southampton were apparently looking at him, the lazy press are guessing that Ross Wilson will therefore want him despite him not even starting his role yet.

The press are more than likely being lazy, however if RW already scouted him at Southampton and deemed that he will (at some point) be good enough for EPL then it stands to reason that he thinks he's good enough (or will be) for the SPL.

It's not like it's some young, South American prospect who is unlikely to want to come to Scotland/outwith our budget, he's a young Scottish prospect who RW by all accounts thinks has the attributes to be an EPL player in the future.

The only blocker would be that we have Barasic at the minute but we've been told that RW has a list of 2-3 players just in case one of his players needs replaced.

* Not saying that it's true or that I want it to be (as I've never seen the boy) but it sounds plausible to me - which probably increase the chances of it being lazy journalism.

Back