Rossiter vs Them

el bandido

In 2 weeks time the midfield is where the game will be won and lost against that lot. To win it we'll need to abandon the 4-4-2 and play Rossiter instead of Miller. Last time at Ibrox they had the freedom of the place. So a central midfield 3 of Jack, Dorrans and Rossiter with Candeias on the right and Windass on the left will be our best chance of success. Whats everyone else's thoughts?

In 2 weeks time the midfield is where the game will be won and lost against that lot. To win it we'll need to abandon the 4-4-2 and play Rossiter instead of Miller. Last time at Ibrox they had the freedom of the place. So a central midfield 3 of Jack, Dorrans and Rossiter with Camdeias on the right and Windass on the left will be our best chance if success. Whats everyone else's thoughts?

Can't argue with that!
I think our formation next weekend will give us an idea how he will play against the beggars

He needs to play in that one for me.

I'd tighten right up and get him in alongside Jack. Dorrans one further forward.

I'd put Candeias and Windass wide. Their pace could cause Tierney and especially Lustig problems. We need to be able to counter quickly.

Jack, Rossiter and Dorrans together have enough bite and energy to get in about them and I agree the change in system/line up will be needed. We'll get over run if we stick with a 442

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos

I don't think Miller will play against them. Surely Pedro can see that Miller's performances don't merit a place in the starting 11.

In 2 weeks time the midfield is where the game will be won and lost against that lot. To win it we'll need to abandon the 4-4-2 and play Rossiter instead of Miller. Last time at Ibrox they had the freedom of the place. So a central midfield 3 of Jack, Dorrans and Rossiter with Candeias on the right and Windass on the left will be our best chance of success. Whats everyone else's thoughts?

Agree with this. Control the midfield and we should win the match.

Jack, Rossiter and Dorrans together have enough bite and energy to get in about them and I agree the change in system/line up will be needed. We'll get over run if we stick with a 442

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos
Thats what I'd go for as well. Team basically picks itself.

I've been thinking this since day one.

Two sitters, one in front of them and two wide, . Can't see a positive result any other way, although in all honesty I'd have hoped he'd have had us perfecting, or practicing to perfect it before now. Hopefully play it that way at Firhill twice.

Also, he could start with Miller up top, and give him an hour or so then bring Morelos on.

I wouldn't personally, but given Miller's experience etc, it could be that Pedro would consider that.

As much as I would like to see Miller dropped, we have quite a lot of players who haven't played against them and Miller's experience against them could be useful. I would start him and possibly take him off at half time depending on how things are going.

Also, he could start with Miller up top, and give him an hour or so then bring Morelos on.

I wouldn't personally, but given Miller's experience etc, it could be that Pedro would consider that.

Why would Pedro Caixinha do that?

Morelos is our most dangerous striker who's clinical in front of goal. Miller misses two chances yesterday.

We've got to ditch 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 when we play them.

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos

For once, we need to give their midfield problems - physically.

I fear we're still short in that department; Rossiter is still a boy, Dorrans looks quite fragile and Windass is injury prone.

Oh and we also have the issue that not one Scottish referee has the integrity to punish Scott Brown appropriately.

I'd be astonished if Miller doesn't play.

This is a landmark challenge for our manager and his team.

I don't think Miller will play against them. Surely Pedro can see that Miller's performances don't merit a place in the starting 11.

Bring Miller off the bench if we're in the game at 70 minutes could be ideal.

He causes them problems.

We won't be in a game by then if he starts with Niko and Miller though. We'll be dead and buried.

We really need to bed into this game. 0-0 at HT, no stupid bookings, then look to take a game to them with 45/30 to go.

We're quick and strong now. Just need to be tactically aware this time around.

Could be option

However I don't see miller being dropped anytime soon

Agreed. Miller has a great track record against them and if there's one game Pedro will opt for his experience, it'll be that one.

Is Rossiter actually fit and available again?

Is it simply that Pedro feels it's either him or Jack and at the minute Jack is the better option?

I fear we're still short in that department; Rossiter is still a boy, Dorrans looks quite fragile and Windass is injury prone.

Oh and we also have the issue that not one Scottish referee has the integrity to punish Scott Brown appropriately.

Regardless of his experience which I agree could be vital, he could be doing with a rest,play the above line up against Thistle and see how it pans out.

When he brought on Windass and Pena yesterday is the team I would play, a 4-2-3-1 it looked fluent yesterday when they both came on, Dorrans started to look better as well and both he hand Jack had less space to cover as Pena takes up pockets of space centrally, he would occupy the same space of the pitch that Brown does naturally.

Unfortunately I think we will play 4-4-2 but Miller will be expected to occupy that space in the pitch that Brown does.

We need something different and I agree we run the danger of being overran in midfield-Lego E being out would be a big help as will injuries to their front 2.

However JR looks very rusty to me.

When he brought on Windass and Pena yesterday is the team I would play, a 4-2-3-1 it looked fluent yesterday when they both came on, Dorrans started to look better as well and both he hand Jack had less space to cover as Pena takes up pockets of space centrally, he would occupy the same space of the pitch that Brown does naturally.

Unfortunately I think we will play 4-4-2 but Miller will be expected to occupy that space in the pitch that Brown does.

Pena in an OF game-leaving 2 overstretched players with no cover? Ouch.

Would need more game time in order to play and it would be difficult to change a winning team at present.

Pena in an OF game-leaving 2 overstretched players with no cover? Ouch.

By the same token then play Rogic and seem to completely dominate our midfield all of last season. Pena has two 90 minutes to get up to speed, yes I'd play him based on these two games, as I'd like to carry a threat going forward, its not all about being sound defensively, we need to score if we want to win, were at home, Pena for me is a better choice than any of the alternatives.

A tough one for Pedro. Play the same formation as we have been doing with the thinking that going toe to toe with them might work as they'll play a lot more open than the likes of Hearts and Dundee?

Or start 4-4-2 against Partick on Friday and give Rossiter 30 mins beside Jack with Dorrans just in front if we're winning then start with that in the League Cup game the following week.

Could also do the same but with Pena in front of Dorrans and Jack.

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos

This for me. We need to be pragmatic in a fortnight but this also offers players who will provide pace. Going to be tough. I think if Rossiter starts either if the next two then hecwI'll probably start v them

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos

This is the side and formation that I'd choose. Pedro may think Miller's experience of these games means he has to start, with maybe Morelos on the bench, but that's not my preference. I also believe 4-4-2 would be a mistake.

Murty got a point at the BJK Camp with basically a 4-4-1-1 didn't he?

I do agree that playing an open 4-4-2 vs them (or a 4-4-2 diamond like we did last time) would be suicide.

We must pack the midfield, make it tight and scrappy and fight like mad.

I don't want to see Spazzy Broon receive the ball and have a circumference of 15 yards of space around him to do what he likes as happened in the 2 horror shows against them at the end of last season.

We simply must be tighter on them and more aggressively in their face. Bruno smashing one of them early on to lay down a marker wouldn't go amiss either.

I agree, but he needs to be playing over 90 mins before that day IMO.

Morelos up on his own & put Miller on for the last 20 when El Bufalo is about to be sent off for getting fouled...

This is the side and formation that I'd choose. Pedro may think Miller's experience of these games means he has to start, with maybe Morelos on the bench, but that's not my preference. I also believe 4-4-2 would be a mistake.
I think El Buffalo is indispensable now,and if he isn't he should be!

Celtics central midfield will probably be Brown, Ntcham and Armstrong. Going with just Dorrans and Jack against them would be suicidle. Need an extra body in there or we will be over ran.

Being realistic I'd be tempted to go with a midfield of Candeias, Jack, Rossiter, Dorrans and John, though Rossiter and John could do with a run-out beforehand.

Good post OP! Totally agree, we need that bite in the middle. Rossiter, Jack and Dorrans in the middle for me to match them.

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos
Exactly what I'd go with from the start.

Agree, Rossiter could prove to be a very valuable player this season. We look a lot stronger this season.

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos
That would be my team.

By the same token then play Rogic and seem to completely dominate our midfield all of last season. Pena has two 90 minutes to get up to speed, yes I'd play him based on these two games, as I'd like to carry a threat going forward, its not all about being sound defensively, we need to score if we want to win, were at home, Pena for me is a better choice than any of the alternatives.

Whatever way you want to dress it up PC hasn't trusted Pena to start a game. He looks like a player who needs a free role-he's had that in the last two games. Starting an OF game is different-if we were more solid behind and he didn't look so slack then I wouldn't disagree.

I'm not sure how Pena fits into the team longer term nor Herrera for that matter-not to say they won't but at this stage Pedro is sticking to the current system.

It's a tricky one -a bit of water to go under the bridge until then -injuries/suspensions for both teams could change the starting line ups quite a bit.

Can't disagree with that. Hopefully Pedro try's it out in one of the Thistle games to see how it works.

Start the only guy scoring goals on the bench ? like thats ever going to happen, crazy statement.

Whatever way you want to dress it up PC hasn't trusted Pena to start a game. He looks like a player who needs a free role-he's had that in the last two games. Starting an OF game is different-if we were more solid behind and he didn't look so slack then I wouldn't disagree.

I'm not sure how Pena fits into the team longer term nor Herrera for that matter-not to say they won't but at this stage Pedro is sticking to the current system.

It's a tricky one -a bit of water to go under the bridge until then -injuries/suspensions for both teams could change the starting line ups quite a bit.
you have an obsession with this and where they fit in longterm, do you ever post anything positive at all ?

Last edited:

there's not a lot wrong with your rationale I feel we need to tweak the midfield Pena would be my preference due to his attacking nous but Rossiter is probably a more sensible option from a defensive point of view it's really down to how Pedro wants to go I want to rip them up for arse paper but he may choose a more conservative ploy. It'll boil down to bravery on the day I suppose

Bring Miller off the bench if we're in the game at 70 minutes could be ideal.

He causes them problems.

We won't be in a game by then if he starts with Niko and Miller though. We'll be dead and buried.

We really need to bed into this game. 0-0 at HT, no stupid bookings, then look to take a game to them with 45/30 to go.

We're quick and strong now. Just need to be tactically aware this time around.
how about going in 2 or 3 up at half time Then rip them a new arsehole second half we can hope and dream can't we lets not have ourselves beaten before we kick a ball lol

Morelos not starting against the filth? Puff,puff and pass.

Windass and Rossister should be coming in for Miller and Niko, but you just know Miller will play left side

Kenny's a big game player yet he's going into this fixture in shocking form.

John would offer Wallace real protection from Roberts who will be flying after torturing Beerman twice last year.

Back