Rossiter vs Them

I would be tempted to play the 3 in midfield of Rossiter, Dorrans and Jack. Up front, certainly Morelos has to play as he is our goal threat and Candeias has to play on right. That leaves the left side up for grabs. It certainly cannot be Kranjcar. So we are left with either Windass or Miller. I might be tempted to go with Miller, even though I feel he should be more of an impact sub these days. He is one of the few in our squad who has the big game experience. The one thing though, is whoever plays there has to be disciplined and help out the fullback as they will definitely try and exploit what they see as a weakness down our flanks. Candeias and whomever is on other side needs to pin their fullbacks back and stop them from coming forward because if they get 2 on 1 down the sides, they will punish us!

Agree with the formation posted by most.

However:

1) Rossiter needs game time before then, possibly even needs to start the next two.

2) Windass really needs whipped into understanding the importance of tracking Lustig and helping Wallace.

3) Pena on if we're chasing the game, Niko on if we're winning (to recycle possession).

4) Start practicing some shots from distance.

We can do this but the prep starts now.

We 100% need to load the midfield, but I'd be worried about Rossiter as a starter given his lack of game time and he doesn't look the strongest. I think there's more chance Peña will play and try to support Morelos in a more 451/4411 side.

Morelos not starting against the filth? Puff,puff and pass.

Windass and Rossister should be coming in for Miller and Niko, but you just know Miller will play left side

Kenny's a big game player yet he's going into this fixture in shocking form.

John would offer Wallace real protection from Roberts who will be flying after torturing Beerman twice last year.
Windass is no slouch and hopefully a bit more savvy than Beerman.

True, but he had a terrible habit in these games last season of just switching off and allowing players to just run past him. McGregor's goal in cup game immediately springs to mind.

Agreed, said as much on another thread, we need strength and legs for that game. Windass and Candeias wide, Jack and Rossiter with Dorrans in front.

Agreed but Rossiter needs to play at least 120mins of next two games
Agreed. We are all shouting for Rossiter to start, but he needs to be up to speed or you'd be as well sticking Niko in there (not worth thinking about I know).

I'd be worried throwing him in cold and does he have the natural aggression, a la Kev T, to take the game by the scruff of the neck?

Start the only guy scoring goals on the bench ? like thats ever going to happen, crazy statement.

Jeezo,

That's three replies stating why would he not start Morelos?

I'm saying it would make sense to play the 4-5-1, I also said I wouldn't start without Morelos, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Pedro do it.

The reason.... Miller has started every game so far, and has a wealth of experience, and goals in this fixture.

I said it in my first post, and I'll say it again, PERSONALLY, I WOULDN'T START WITH MILLER, but it would not surprise me if Pedro did if he were to go with 5 in midfield.

He looks more switched on this year which I put down to a haircut.

Our midfield need to stay disciplined and in shape and that's a worry for me with Josh.

Roberts won't find Wallace an easy touch anyway! Whatever we think of Lee is a proper pro and will hopefully be cute with the young light winger(Reyna on Petta 5-1 game cute)

Jack, Rossiter and Dorrans together have enough bite and energy to get in about them and I agree the change in system/line up will be needed. We'll get over run if we stick with a 442

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos
I like he look of that team.

Jack, Rossiter and Dorrans together have enough bite and energy to get in about them and I agree the change in system/line up will be needed. We'll get over run if we stick with a 442

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos

This is the starting 11 I'd imagine most of us want against them. Makes sense.

Edit: for what it's worth I reckon we'll see Miller start on the left rather than Windass. I just can't see KM being left out for that game.

Pena is getting more game time than Rossiter so he's looking more likely to start if there is a change to the formation.

Even if there is it'll only be a slight variation to a 4-4-1-1

With Pena dropping back at times to ensure we aren't overrun in the middle of the park.

Reckon it'll be Morelos or Miller up front, hoping it'll be the former.

In 2 weeks time the midfield is where the game will be won and lost against that lot. To win it we'll need to abandon the 4-4-2 and play Rossiter instead of Miller. Last time at Ibrox they had the freedom of the place. So a central midfield 3 of Jack, Dorrans and Rossiter with Candeias on the right and Windass on the left will be our best chance of success. Whats everyone else's thoughts?

Agree with you completely on the team to give us the best chance in the game.

Rossiter needs game time in the 2 Partick games first though.

He looks more switched on this year which I put down to a haircut.

Our midfield need to stay disciplined and in shape and that's a worry for me with Josh.

Roberts won't find Wallace an easy touch anyway! Whatever we think of Lee is a proper pro and will hopefully be cute with the young light winger(Reyna on Petta 5-1 game cute)
He seems a more disciplined player this year in a positional sense, whether it's because he's out wide I don't know but I feel more confident watching him from there....or maybe it is the haircut :D

I remember Halliday being ruthlessly cute on Roberts,I'm assuming you mean that kind of cute:)

Being realistic I'd be tempted to go with a midfield of Candeias, Jack, Rossiter, Dorrans and John, though Rossiter and John could do with a run-out beforehand.
Alright Mr levein.

Wes
Hodson Alves Cardoso Wallace
Tav Jack Wilson Rositer John
Dorrans.

Surely that would be more your style?

In 2 weeks time the midfield is where the game will be won and lost against that lot. To win it we'll need to abandon the 4-4-2 and play Rossiter instead of Miller. Last time at Ibrox they had the freedom of the place. So a central midfield 3 of Jack, Dorrans and Rossiter with Candeias on the right and Windass on the left will be our best chance of success. Whats everyone else's thoughts?

Looks a good shout to me! kranjcar should be nowhere near a starting berth! Bring him on when we are 3/4 up to torment the barstewards I have no argument with but to start him would be suicide. Optimistic loyal!

People are putting a lot of faith in a young, very rusty player who we haven't seen much. Friday will be an indication of whether Pedro is thinking about this, although I think we'd have seen more of Rossiter already if he was contemplating it.

Good call.
Glad that you've dropped Kranjkar as well

I think we need a midfield 3 for this game and rossiter should be the man to come in. Like many say above though, he desperately needs game time and I'd like to see Pedro use the 2 partick games to prepare for the scum.

If Pedro sticks with the 4-4-2 that we have been playing then I fear it would be a reenactment of the last game at Ibrox with their midfield having all the space in the world.

Without 3 in the middle of the park, we'll get anhilated again. I'm hopeful the team vs Patrick, certainly in the league, will be our lineup for the scum. Have a horrible feeling Miller will start though. Personally I'd have Rossiter as I love his tenacity and energy, which we need in spades to close them down, especially brown. Pena to come on if we're needing a goal.

I'd also like to see that midfield 3 with Miller dropping for rossiter
I think Pedro will go with Pena If he actually drops miller
I think Pedro would rather go for the win
With attacking players
Rather than set up for to win the midfield battle

Not sharing the hope on Rossiter. Guys not once shown he has the athleticism to go on a decent run of games.
Every game vs them since hes signed its been the exact same chat in the build up counting on a guy made of chocolate

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos
Would be my line up .

We really can't afford to be over run again .

I agree with the OP, the game will be won or lost in midfield and Miller will be a luxury we cannot afford in that match.

Wesley
tav cardoso Alves Waldo
Jack Rossiter
candeias Dorrans windass
Morelos
Yep, I'd go with that.

Admittedly we havnt seen much of Rossiter largely due to injury but what I have seen I'm not so sure he is ready to cut it against that mob. I do agree however we need to go with three midfielders I just don't know who is up to the roll

It's defo what I would choose. I think he is mature enough. Talented enough. I do think however that we can't go starting players without sharpness in THAT match. If we played him in both thistle matches sure.

you have an obsession with this and where they fit in longterm, do you ever post anything positive at all ?

Well there's positive and there's the completely unbalanced stuff that creeps into positive stances on here-you can take your pick I know I'm looking at a team that's got some good positive improvements and quite a lot of areas that need work.

There are people on here who berate people who have an opinion-they should sit in the stadium and listen to the totally negative dross I do. There's the real negativity there.

It becomes increasingly obvious to me that there is no middle ground around assessing the situation-you are either for or against-so if we win the positives are talked up beyond belief and if we lose we want a bonfire. Stay on the side of having concerns because you see flaws that better teams will exploit and you hate Pedro and you want him to fail. It's nonsense.

If you think 4M doesn't need to be justified when the team is not where it needs to be then fine. Be as positive as you like but the reality of that will help finish Pedro off if the team isn't where the support requires it to be when the time comes.

It is interesting to me at this stage people are moaning about selection constantly and yet it is aimed more at the player's ability than the man picking them-there's your negativity there and it is constant-it's just dressed up as something else....until the results change and then the kid gloves will be off.

Whatever way you want to dress it up PC hasn't trusted Pena to start a game. He looks like a player who needs a free role-he's had that in the last two games. Starting an OF game is different-if we were more solid behind and he didn't look so slack then I wouldn't disagree.

I'm not sure how Pena fits into the team longer term nor Herrera for that matter-not to say they won't but at this stage Pedro is sticking to the current system.

It's a tricky one -a bit of water to go under the bridge until then -injuries/suspensions for both teams could change the starting line ups quite a bit.

You can't deny when Windass and Pena came on yesterday the team was more fluent, I'd also hazard a guess that were not flat out against the likes of Dundee, if we play Pena he automatically plays in the hole where Brown plays, Pedro will earmark Brown so it stands to reason someone from our team will be told to stop him receiving the ball, I'd prefer that was Pena over Miller as that is whats likely going to happen.

Exactly what I would do. Let rossiter sit with jack supporting him. Then that allows dorrans to be the supporitng midfielder to El Buffalo, I think that suits Dorrans game aswell.

Support and workraye on the wings from Windass and candeias is the way to win.

You can then bring in Herrera Pena etc later on.

We can't and don't think we will go in with a two in midfield.

I agree, playing Rossiter would enable us to move Dorrans further forward
You can't just sling a 20 year old who has hardly played in 15 months into an Old Firm game and expect him to be up to speed. If we are going to go with an extra body in the centre of midfield it will be Pena.

You can't deny when Windass and Pena came on yesterday the team was more fluent, I'd also hazard a guess that were not flat out against the likes of Dundee, if we play Pena he automatically plays in the hole where Brown plays, Pedro will earmark Brown so it stands to reason someone from our team will be told to stop him receiving the ball, I'd prefer that was Pena over Miller as that is whats likely going to happen.
Yep and there's more chance Pena would listen and adhere to the managers instructions.

If Miller does start it'll be centre forward but I can't see Morelos being dropped despite Miller having always done well against the filth.

You are entitled to your opinion and maybe Pedro will go with that but I would suggest the lack of appearances from Pena so far makes it a massive gamble for player and manager. I get the fact if Miller plays and we don't do well he'll get it for that anyway and people will ask why our star signing wasn't ready.

It's a big call for the manager but sometimes circumstances/events can leave him with no choice-we'll get to see on the day an injury or suspension might limit options and the same for them-they've got a couple of players injured at the moment and big CL games to come so.....

I don't care personally who Pedro picks-my stance on a manager is he gets to see who is in form but what I do expect is a sensible line up that allows us to compete....if Pena has a free role I wouldn't mind but I don't know if we can afford that against a team who can mix it up against you.

You can't just sling a 20 year old who has hardly played in 15 months into an Old Firm game and expect him to be up to speed. If we are going to go with an extra body in the centre of midfield it will be Pena.
If we go with Pena then we're asking for trouble.

I agree with the OP and would like to see Rossiter get some game time in the Thistle game to keep him match sharp.

Last season they won the midfield battle in every game. If we can go toe to toe with them in there then we have a chance.

Latest posts

Back