RTV 1962 Cup Final

HIHI

RTV showed the above at HT -what a treat to see that famous team in action!

Forwards -Henderson-MacMillan-Millar-Brand-Wilson. Possibly our best ever forward line!
Half-backs - Davis -MacKinnon-Baxter. Outstanding.
Full-backs - Greig(?) and Provan (?)
Goal-Ritchie. Not MacGregor but still dependable.

Would be interesting to see present team against that line-up!

Forwards -Henderson-MacMillan-Millar-Brand-Wilson. Possibly our best ever forward line!

Full Backs were Shearer and Caldow

Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Davis, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillian, Wilson, Miller & Brand

Present teams would skud any team from that era

Reactions: BWO
Was that the final with the famous photo, where Bobby Shearer was held aloft, and someone had a bucket of water or something like that?

Relatively easy Cup Final. I was a wee boy at that Cup Final. Pretty sure my auld man placed me on top of a staunchion so I could see the game as couldn’t get tickets for the Stand. Both ends were Rangers fans. Must have been over 120,000 at the game.

I presume Greig was injured? Possibly one of the best ever Rangers teams.
Not sure that he was.
I think Ian McMillan was preferred at Inside Right.
Greig had broken into the team earlier that season, and was impressive as an Inside Right, but I think on the day, McMillan was the choice.
Greig would establish himself the following season as our Right Half in place of Harold Davis.
Henderson was preferred to Alex Scott on the Right Wing.
McKinnon had just broken into the team (less than 10 appearances), but would go on to play more games for Rangers in the 1960's than anyone.

This was my 1st Scottish Cup Final and Willie Henderson was preferred at outside right over Alex Scott who had played for Scotland in a 2-0 win over England the previous Saturday.

What do you base that on?
A number of factors - sport science, tactics, player fitness, equipment etc.

I'll accept the argument that these guys played in harder conditions, but football like anything else really, evolves and it would be misty eyed pish to think that teams from 60 years ago would compete with modern day footballers.

I'll accept the argument that these guys played in harder conditions, but football, like anything else really, evolves and it would be misty eyed pish to think that teams from 60 years ago would compete with modern day footballers.
Obviously not, but if they had access to modern equipment, systems, tactics etc then who knows.

Did you notice they got the final score wrong? The caption showed 2-1, rather than 2-0.
When it showed the score i said to my son i am sure the score was 2-0 not 2-1 looked it up right away and i was right. My son said and i thought you were losing it

I'll accept the argument that these guys played in harder conditions, but football like anything else really, evolves and it would be misty eyed pish to think that teams from 60 years ago would compete with modern day footballers.
Misty eyed pish?
You think that the likes of Henderson and Baxter who were selected for World XI Teams, could not compete with modern day Scottish footballers?
The Real Madrids of Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento etc, the likes of Pele, Eusebio, Best etc could not compete with modern day footballers?

Ha ha haaaaa

Misty eyed pish?
You think that the likes of Henderson and Baxter who were selected for World XI Teams, could not compete with modern day Scottish footballers?
The Real Madrids of Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento etc, the likes of Pele, Eusebio, Best etc could not compete with modern day footballers?

Ha ha haaaaa
Listen faither, I'm not denying that there were great players in these days but I stand by my opinion that modern day teams would wipe the floor with the teams of the 60s due to the reasons that I have already stated.

Listen faither, I'm not denying that there were great players in these days but I stand by my opinion that modern day teams would wipe the floor with the teams of the 60s due to the reasons that I have already stated.
Aye okay Son, I'm listening.
Forgive me, I'm so old, I forgot what it was like to be so young and know it all. ;)

Relatively easy Cup Final. I was a wee boy at that Cup Final. Pretty sure my auld man placed me on top of a staunchion so I could see the game as couldn’t get tickets for the Stand. Both ends were Rangers fans. Must have been over 120,000 at the game.
No segregation in these days (except Old Firm of course)!

Misty eyed pish?

Ha ha haaaaa
MacKinnon,Baxter Caldow and the whole forward line would be in today's squad IMO!

the official crowd was 127,940

Not so sure about that!
Man for man there is little difference IMO!
Man for man there's a massive difference. There was 3 genuine world class players in that 11, the only position that today's team would cover would be Mcgregor in goal for Billy Ritchie, as good as Ritchie was Mcgregor is the better keeper. Every respect to today's team but they aren't near that team on ability.

Wouldn't beat that team, everything being equal fitness wise that 11 was top class. World class left back, world class midfield maestro, world class right winger with class players in every other position
A point often overlooked by the youngsters of today.
Players from that era would be even better given the advantages the modern player has.
Imagine Willie Henderson with the benefits of modern science! We haven't produced a player since then with the combination of pace and control that he possesed. That natural ability would shine through, as it would for the others.

Conversely could the modern day player shine under the conditions that prevailed in 1962?

Man for man there's a massive difference. There was 3 genuine world class players in that 11, the only position that today's team would cover would be Mcgregor in goal for Billy Ritchie, as good as Ritchie was Mcgregor is the better keeper. Every respect to today's team but they aren't near that team on ability.
My combined team.

McGregor
Tav McKinnon Goldson Caldow

Henderson Baxter McMillan Wilson

Morelos Brand

My combined team.

McGregor
Tav McKinnon Goldson Caldow

Henderson Baxter McMillan Wilson

Morelos Brand
Possibly Jimmy Millar for Morelos, Jimmy was a great player who was just as good at half back as centre forward. Tav for Shearer is a good call for his pace along with Caldow on the other side

Players from that era would be even better given the advantages the modern player has.
Imagine Willie Henderson with the benefits of modern science! We haven't produced a player since then with the combination of pace and control that he possesed. That natural ability would shine through, as it would for the others.

Conversely could the modern day player shine under the conditions that prevailed in 1962?
Could you imagine McMillan and Baxter playing on the pitches of today. They could play wearing their slippers

In the classic 2-3-5, my choice from the 1962 SCF team and today’s players

Alan McGregor
James Tavernier
Eric Caldow
Harold Davis
Conor Goldson
Jim Baxter
Willie Henderson
Steve Davis
Alfredo Morelos
Ralph Brand
Davie Wilson

Manager : Steven Gerrard

Referee : Tom “Tiny” Wharton

Also the fact that players like Henderson, Baxter etc wouldn't have to suffer the "tackling" of that era.

With the protection of the modern laws and refereeing it's arguable that they would have been even better.

Back