RTV and season tickets next season

Mitchell McCoist

Official Ticketer
I’ve renewed my season ticket and joined My Gers and had been planning on signing up for the full RTV package given the games being behind closed doors for the foreseeable but do we think the club would give access to the streamed games to season ticket holders who have paid for season tickets they wouldn't actually get to use?

I’ve renewed my season ticket and joined My Gers and had been planning on signing up for the full RTV package given the games being behind closed doors for the foreseeable but do we think the club would give access to the streamed games to season ticket holders who have paid for season tickets they wouldn't actually get to use?

The club don’t have the rights to allow that for a domestic audience at the moment, it looks like there are plans for all games to be screened domestically but it’s unclear yet quite how it will happen.

I'd imagine Sky will have a big say in what clubs can offer UK based fans regarding live streams. I think the club will probably have to offer a Sky Sports subsidy code, or similar, to season ticket holders.
I'm sure there will be some sort of compensation to season ticket holders. What that will be is anyone's guess.

Is there a chance I'll be able to buy a season ticket on public sale?

Joining mygers regardless if that's a factor

I’d imagine we’ll get every game behind closed doors bar Celtic for free on RTV. One can hope Tom Miller isn’t doing commentary for it

I’d imagine we’ll get every game behind closed doors bar Celtic for free on RTV. One can hope Tom Miller isn’t doing commentary for it

I doubt very much that will be the case. The third party provider the SPFL engage will want to make their money and will insist club providers, like RangersTV, are only available overseas as per normal and will likely involve using a VPN.

I've no idea how Rangers will get around that. I believe @rangeral indicated earlier in the week that RangersTV and one other club channel were proving a bit of a stumbling block to what the SPFL are trying to arrange with the third party provider.

The club are in the same position as each and every club in the land, but even more so (along with Scum), thousands of ST holders who are not going to gain access to games they have purchased.

Clubs will want to retain as much ST money as they can but even if Rangers can allow access to games via RTV it will not adequately cover the cost of an individual matchday ticket. Also, how would Rangers deal with a family of four, who all have ST's but would only need one family member to be given RTV access.

It will be a worrying time for the club as the estimated £20m ST monies make up a great percentage of our gross income. To return chunks of that will surely hurt our plans for next season.

I doubt very much that will be the case. The third party provider the SPFL engage will want to make their money and will insist club providers, like RangersTV, are only available overseas as per normal and will likely involve using a VPN.

I've no idea how Rangers will get around that. I believe @rangeral indicated earlier in the week that RangersTV and one other club channel were proving a bit of a stumbling block to what the SPFL are trying to arrange with the third party provider.

Wasn't me that indicated it @Valley Bluenose but it was posted that the SPFL were asking clubs to sign to the hosting company, same one as Rangers TV IRC

There is a working party on broadcasting and how they go about it from a BCD

Broadcasting and Innovation (Chaired by Neil Doncaster)

NameClub / Organisation
James BisgroveCommercial & Marketing Director, Rangers
Dave CormackChairman, Aberdeen
Ron GordonChairman, Hibernian
David HamiltonScottish Government
Kerry KeenanHead of Marketing and Multimedia, Celtic
Kieran KoszaryExecutive Director, Falkirk
Gregg McEwanHead of Marketing & Commercial Operations, Kilmarnock
Rod McKenzieSPFL Legal Counsel
Chris RawlingsCommercial Director, Scottish FA
Andrew SinclairHead of Partnerships, SPFL
Duncan SmillieDirector, Partick Thistle

Terms of reference:

1. Production
    2. Transmission methods
    3. Broadcast and content opportunities: online streaming (UK and overseas); associated payment platform(s)
    4. Virtual season tickets and other innovations
    5. Radio
    6. Club channels/broadcast partner interaction
    7. Blocked hours

Wasn't me that indicated it @Valley Bluenose but it was posted that the SPFL were asking clubs to sign to the hosting company, same one as Rangers TV IRC

NameClub / Organisation

Terms of reference:

1. Production
    2. Transmission methods
    3. Broadcast and content opportunities: online streaming (UK and overseas); associated payment platform(s)
    5. Radio
    7. Blocked hours
There as an article in the Athletic that suggested the SPFL clubs will go with another provider and we'll remain in our contract with our current partner

There as an article in the Athletic that suggested the SPFL clubs will go with another provider and we'll remain in our contract with our current partner

Possible that using Rangers TV and current club channels eases the burden on the SPFL but that will down to agreement

If it's a single seat and you're a MyGers member, I'd say you're a cert mate.

Meant season ticket holders getting it for free. You make a point though, I hope something can be done so Rangers are still getting something from it

Sky only want 48 games

There is plans to stream games online via 3rd party hosting company

That will be done under the SPFL

Article (sorry can’t copy) basically says around half of Premiership clubs have signed up to a firm called “Stream Digital” and “optimistic” all other clubs “bar one” could do so for the forthcoming season. The “bar one” is us as we are already contracted to “StreamAGM”.

Goes on to say that there is a concern for smaller clubs that cost would not be offset by income

Article (sorry can’t copy) basically says around half of Premiership clubs have signed up to a firm called “Stream Digital” and “optimistic” all other clubs “bar one” could do so for the forthcoming season. The “bar one” is us as we are already contracted to “StreamAGM”.

Goes on to say that there is a concern for smaller clubs that cost would not be offset by income

That was the info I mentioned earlier. For those who don’t know, StreamAMG are the new provider we signed up with for RangersTV earlier in the year.

15000 waiting list from last season which is getting redundant. To join the waiting list you to join my gers which will go into a tier system

Just looked at some smaller attendances
Hamilton V Killie 2145
St J v Livi 3008

Which "neutral" is going to pay to watch these games. Remember they will also be streamed at the same time as the EPL.

I just cannot see how SPFL can come up with an affordable option unless it is going to be subsidised by playing against us or them and one of us will probably be on Sky anyway.

Until they allow paying fans, at least one club will go bust playing behind closed doors after a few weeks, probably followed by others soon after. The league will be the laughing stock, again!

NameClub / Organisation

Terms of reference:

1. Production
    2. Transmission methods
    5. Radio
    7. Blocked hours

Very happy to see James Bisgrove on the above representing us.From what I've seen and read from him he is a top man in his field.

The club could do what they did many years ago and provide Rangers TV free to season ticket holders for the season, which can only be watched abroad. Any tech savvy bear will know how to watch with a VPN.

The club could do what they did many years ago and provide Rangers TV free to season ticket holders for the season, which can only be watched abroad. Any tech savvy bear will know how to watch with a VPN.

Jeez, have you not read the many, many threads on here with folk and their ‘issues’ with RangersTV - normally, as far as I’m concerned, as a result of their abysmal free VPN? There’s not a week goes by without one when we are playing)?

If Rangers were to go down that route they’d have to make the games available to UK viewers, which would presumably need agreement from the authorities (which may well happen) and then there might be a drop-off in RangersTV Unlimited subscriptions which might cost us money.

Technically, with approval, we could make games available for single match purchase and available in the UK, with a means to record your season ticket details to be refunded/view the match for free. I can’t see it being done where it requires a VPN. Folk might then still hang onto their RangersTV Unlimited in order to get the away games.

His voice is awful and he doesn't know what he's on about.

Ruins everything RTV puts out
You are talking Pure Rubbish IMO. His interview on Rangers Radio was a delight to listen to as well .so I totally disagree with all your opinions on his commentary and everything else you have said on this matter.

Sky will have the usual package of all our away games and all celtics away games. They will show both old firm games from Ibrox and prob 1 other game.

That leaves all the other home games available to be picked up by someone. - RTV.
How that is priced or made available I have no idea. To be honest I’d expect most season tickets holders to have RTV anyway so giving it away for free is neither here nor there.

I'm absolutely desperate for one mate, I'd keep it for life
I think with circumstances you may well be mate. Also defo keep it for life I got mine at 5 now 29 and couldn’t imagine not having it. I just feel for those struggling in these times

Sky will have the usual package of all our away games and all celtics away games. They will show both old firm games from Ibrox and prob 1 other game.

That leaves all the other home games available to be picked up by someone. - RTV.
How that is priced or made available I have no idea. To be honest I’d expect most season tickets holders to have RTV anyway so giving it away for free is neither here nor there.

In my opinion one of the main problems of Sky / BT’s coverage (I know it’s all Sky going forward) of the SPFL is that other than the Old Firm games it only shows our away games. More often than not in half empty stadiums as the home team can’t sell their tickets. It’s hardly showing our game in a good light. I’d rather they televise games like Rangers v the Sheep or v Hibs at Ibrox. I believe we’d still sell out and the visual spectacle would be considerably better to showcase the Scottish game.

On RTV, I’m not sure about your assumption that most season ticket holders already subscribe to RTV. I‘d imagine that most RTV subscribers live overseas and do so because they get access to live matches. I’m basing this on no factual evidence however, so it would be interesting to know the stats of who does subscribe, where they reside, and how many subscribe to the basic package vs full package. I’m a season ticket holder, I don’t subscribe to RTV as I‘ve never been convinced that the content and service is worth it for a UK resident who can’t get live matches. I’d be happy to be persuaded otherwise.

In my opinion one of the main problems of Sky / BT’s coverage (I know it’s all Sky going forward) of the SPFL is that other than the Old Firm games it only shows our away games. More often than not in half empty stadiums as the home team can’t sell their tickets. It’s hardly showing our game in a good light. I’d rather they televise games like Rangers v the Sheep or v Hibs at Ibrox. I believe we’d still sell out and the visual spectacle would be considerably better to showcase the Scottish game.

On RTV, I’m not sure about your assumption that most season ticket holders already subscribe to RTV. I‘d imagine that most RTV subscribers live overseas and do so because they get access to live matches. I’m basing this on no factual evidence however, so it would be interesting to know the stats of who does subscribe, where they reside, and how many subscribe to the basic package vs full package. I’m a season ticket holder, I don’t subscribe to RTV as I‘ve never been convinced that the content and service is worth it for a UK resident who can’t get live matches. I’d be happy to be persuaded otherwise.
Aye but they can’t lol. 4 games a season at home to each club hence why our away games are always shown along with theirs then two old firms and save two to after split. Been the same for years

Aye but they can’t lol. 4 games a season at home to each club hence why our away games are always shown along with theirs then two old firms and save two to after split. Been the same for years

I know that but my point is that in these unprecedented times the status quo / rule book on what can and can’t be broadcasted should be revised to better showcase our game. It has indeed been the same for years and it’s shite!

I think you will be miles off with the thought that most season ticket holders have RTV. It would be interesting to see the actual numbers.

Not a chance most ST holders have the live action RTV package.

I know the new deal is already agreed so this is unlikely but hopefully there’s a rethink on how football is shown in the UK. I don’t think it’s right sky decided what games people get to see. They should have their headline games but make the rest available the same as it’s done in Champions League and Europa League. The whole 3pm black out is well outdated.

As for next season I hope all our games are on Sky and/or RTV.

I know that but my point is that in these unprecedented times the status quo / rule book on what can and can’t be broadcasted should be revised to better showcase our game. It has indeed been the same for years and it’s shite!

thats a complete restructure of a deal. The current deal has the same number of games at each stadium in the league shown.
If we stop that and just start showing Ibrox and Parkhead games what exactly are the other teams doing to justify their cut of the money?
Also there’s 50k folk who watch every Rangers game on sky that won’t be if it’s at Ibrox. That’s a big drop off for sky.

I think you will be miles off with the thought that most season ticket holders have RTV. It would be interesting to see the actual numbers.
I don’t mate. I’m at everygame bar last two mentally challenged games at piggery so haven’t bothered

I don’t mate. I’m at everygame bar last two mentally challenged games at piggery so haven’t bothered

hopefully under MyGers your access to all those tickets continues!

RTV for interviews and content and stuff is great value. I think with the way our Written media is acting and behaving more and more stuff is just going to go straight on there.

Assuming we don’t see an increase in matches being picked up by Sky ie the usual package, that pretty much leaves all home games needing a broadcaster.

If we assume clubs being allowed to show Saturday 3pm games on a club subscription service is allowed under new guidelines and circumstances, my question is more around if we think the club will make this available to season ticket holders in place of actually being able to attend games.

Would be interested to see how many season ticket holders are actually RTV subscribers already as I’m not convinced it’s the majority, could be wrong. To me the bulk are those who don’t get the chance to attend games as frequently.

hopefully under MyGers your access to all those tickets continues!

RTV for interviews and content and stuff is great value. I think with the way our Written media is acting and behaving more and more stuff is just going to go straight on there.
We’ve debated before mate it’s because my RSC.

Im signing up for it with my 25 voucher as I’ve nothing else to use it on. Will give me something extra to watch/Listen to for Rangers content away from H&H as i don’t know many other podcasts

Just listening to guys on our bus or via group chats I would guess that only maybe 1 in 4 have RTV. It will be interesting to see the uptake now though, from memory I think a basic RTV gets you 25 points and the live games one gets you 40.
I think you will probably see a jump in RTV subscriptions now that it will go towards your MyGers category and subsequently increase your chances of domestic and Euro away games.

Well in that case free RTV to actually watch the matches would be pretty reasonable!

The Club can, and will, have to find a way around this and it wont be as straightforward as some think. For example, what about those who have a season ticket AND subscribe to RangersTV Unlimited package. I don't agree with the comment above that they are in a majority but there will certainly be several thousands who do so, maybe even into 5 figures. Giving them free access to matches effectively gives then nothing other that an added incentive to cancel RangersTV (though they then miss out on away matches of course).

Would be good if they got it on the radio again, as well as being able to stream. So if it keeps freezing have two options.

Would be fun going back to that, reliving my younger years. Many a great afternoon listening to the games.

The games against them were torture. Not sure younger bears could handle it.

Would be good if they got it on the radio again, as well as being able to stream. So if it keeps freezing have two options.

Would be fun going back to that, reliving my younger years. Many a great afternoon listening to the games.

The games against them were torture. Not sure younger bears could handle it.

RangersTV already do an online audio-only feed. If it's freezing then the problem is your end.

thats a complete restructure of a deal. The current deal has the same number of games at each stadium in the league shown.
If we stop that and just start showing Ibrox and Parkhead games what exactly are the other teams doing to justify their cut of the money?
Also there’s 50k folk who watch every Rangers game on sky that won’t be if it’s at Ibrox. That’s a big drop off for sky.

I'm not suggesting we stop televising all away games and only show home games. There is a balance to be had - TV should showcase a few of the top home games at Ibrox and the Piggery. Even 2-3 a year at each would be better than only showing games at half-full diddy stadiums.

The club don’t have the rights to allow that for a domestic audience at the moment, it looks like there are plans for all games to be screened domestically but it’s unclear yet quite how it will happen.
If Rangers, Sky or anyone else thinks I'm paying for a season ticket for matches I can't attend and then paying to stream them they've got another thing coming.

I honestly never knew that. That's great to know.

Its maybe not quite as good as it sounds - its basically just the soundtrack from the live video stream. Nevertheless, it lets you listen across the UK so has to be a good thing for those who either don't want to pay for the Unlimited and/or can't be arsed with the whole VPN thing. I believe it only started earlier this year to be fair to you.

Back