RTV experience

Matty1904

I know this is a thing that James Bisgrove and the club are looking into and announced via Stewart Bisgrove that more money will be going into it. The app was a great start but more quality and experience is required. For me on matchday for example. A flashy RTV studio like they have at anfield or barca for example with proper presenter and say kevin Thompson. Get someone to head to fanzone, club shop, bar 72 etc matchday news and analysis before heading to Tom Miller for match

I agree that there needs to be upgrades made in this department!

You could also say a lot of people don’t like his commentary. I think it could be improved a lot tbh.
You could and some people clearly don’t like his commentary,i have been listening to his commentary for six or seven years and imho the second they removed Hugh burns tom’s commentary began to improve as he had better co-commentators.andy little,Stephen Smith,Kevin Thomson,iain Durant and Peter lovenkrands are all really good.also last season Tom was doing audio commentary at the same time as on screen commentary

Last edited:
It’s not as simple as that though as a lot of supporters like Tom’s commentary and I am one of them
I don’t mind him, better than listening to the tims on all the broadcasters. He could do with updating his references! The Exocet missile reference for an Alberts type shot is from the falklands war!

Is there not an old studio in the stadium they are refurbishing?

As someone said in another thread, someone like Tanner as studio host with McCann or McCoist on Co-Comms. Some random freelancer like Peter Brackley on comms (just plucked his name out of thin air as an example)

I’m a big fan of RTV and have subscribed for years. The app is an improvement but I think we’re only scratching the surface. It’s excellent for archives and interviews but I think it should have more current programmes on it. A Friday night match preview in a studio with a host and guests or a Monday night review of the weekend match. Hopefully MyGers encourages more people to buy it which leads to more of a budget to improve it.

I don't mind Tom's commentary too much. Sometimes it can be somewhat cheesy, but that's okay, no biggie. I'd imagine a lot of expats like myself think the same.

I get a great picture, seldom any lag or downscaling, works on my tv and has controls for pausing for toilet stops. That's enough for me. There's always room for improvement, but comes down to available cash at the end of the day.

I think a lot of UK folk will be pleasantly surprised when they are able to watch the game without having to use a VPN. The infras already there.

I’m a big fan of RTV and have subscribed for years. The app is an improvement but I think we’re only scratching the surface. It’s excellent for archives and interviews but I think it should have more current programmes on it. A Friday night match preview in a studio with a host and guests or a Monday night review of the weekend match. Hopefully MyGers encourages more people to buy it which leads to more of a budget to improve it.

Yes the more people that buy it will improve it the content. I do like what we have but does need upgrading step by step to next level. My only gripe just now is that some stuff on Rangers YouTube format isnt found on RTV app. For example a 30 second snip used to be shown on YouTube but get the full 7 minutes on RTV. But recently alot of stuff been removed I.e I tried to find behind the scenes on RTV the day Aribo signed in Portugal. I can find the snip on YouTube but its vanished from RTV. I can find the interview though. And the webinars from Bisgrove, Stewart Robertson all on youtube format but not on RTV. Think it would be wise to put as much on RTV as possible

Ignore this
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nice to see the <a href="https://twitter.com/RangersTV?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@RangersTV</a> studio set up in the corner. <a href="https://t.co/fXf1ZQyC1L">https://t.co/fXf1ZQyC1L</a></p>&mdash; ( ) (@SeafarerMichael) <a href=" ">June 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

New RTV studio in corner of Ibrox

Always have enjoyed Tom's commentary, a bit cheesy but overall pretty happy. A better pre and post match would improve RTV alot but overall I'm happy with how it is

Tom needs replaced, simple as that
Indeed. For a paid service you can’t have someone as poor and unprofessional as that.

I’ve probably only watched games on RTV about 5 times, each time unbearable.

Mixing up black players, childish cringeworthy patter, knows nothing about the actual game of football, offers no insight. just an extremely poor commentator. God knows how he got the gig as you could pick a random off the street to do the same job.

Indeed. For a paid service you can’t have someone as poor and unprofessional as that.

I’ve probably only watched games on RTV about 5 times, each time unbearable.

Mixing up black players, childish cringeworthy patter, knows nothing about the actual game of football, offers no insight. just an extremely poor commentator. God knows how he got the gig as you could pick a random off the street to do the same job.
If anyone else at the club had caused as much embarrassment as he has, they'd have been sacked.

He must have some dodgy pictures of someone

Reactions: MSF
Bring in Tanner, Andy Gray and a fit bird for presenter. Proper modern studio with lots of pre match stuff. Not going to happen but a shake up in the running

As someone pointed out on twitter last night if you look at the recent pictures put up by the club showing the new pitch you can see what appears to be a RTV studio

As someone pointed out on twitter last night if you look at the recent pictures put up by the club showing the new pitch you can see what appears to be a RTV studio
I've gone over the 2 pics and cant see it. Which corner is it meant to be in? A stand alone studio or is it under the screens?

I know this is a thing that James Bisgrove and the club are looking into and announced via Stewart Bisgrove that more money will be going into it. The app was a great start but more quality and experience is required. For me on matchday for example. A flashy RTV studio like they have at anfield or barca for example with proper presenter and say kevin Thompson. Get someone to head to fanzone, club shop, bar 72 etc matchday news and analysis before heading to Tom Miller for match
Gonnae sound like an brownnoser here but they could do far worse than borrow a few guys from Edgar's crew. I'd much rather listen to a fellow fan's opinion than so-called pundits. At the very least they should do something like H&Hs postmatch feature. I look forward to that after every game now. The one thing that annoys me big time about RTV is they always seem in a rush to finish.

They waste a lot of time at the start and in the middle of games with features on players, or some aspect of the club that should be elsewhere on RTV. The match broadcast should be solely about the game.

They need to can the English bint as well. As far as I can see she serves no purpose and is probably just there for gender equity. Get in someone who knows something about the game in her place. I dont really give a toss what they look like but she comes across as completely disinterested in being there.

I know some have issues, but im okay with Tom and ex-players as commentators for the most part. They try too hard sometimes to be something theyre not and should ease back on that a little bit. Tom is no South American commentator and shouldnt try to mimic one, and he should vary up his patter sometimes instead of giving it 'Mor-el-os' every single time he scores. As for the ex-players they choose it seems a bit random and no one seems to be paying any attention to how good they actually are. Big DJ clearly fancies a career as a comedian, but his jokes are about as funny as toothache. He goes way off topic too often for a commentator. Whilst I must admit I enjoy the spontaneous outbursts of joy from Lovenkrands, his general observations can be a bit lame. Burns is uber-staunch but goes way OTT sometimes. He dwells on things far too long and doesnt keep up with play as a result. Personally I think they could make better use of Andy Little and Steven Thomson both of whom I find to be excellent. Having a current player who is recovering from injury up there with Tom is a great idea since they can give good anecdotes from inside the dressing room and training field.

Gonnae sound like an brownnoser here but they could do far worse than borrow a few guys from Edgar's crew. I'd much rather listen to a fellow fan's opinion than so-called pundits. At the very least they should do something like H&Hs postmatch feature. I look forward to that after every game now. The one thing that annoys me big time about RTV is they always seem in a rush to finish.

They waste a lot of time at the start and in the middle of games with features on players, or some aspect of the club that should be elsewhere on RTV. The match broadcast should be solely about the game.

They need to can the English bint as well. As far as I can see she serves no purpose and is probably just there for gender equity. Get in someone who knows something about the game in her place. I dont really give a toss what they look like but she comes across as completely disinterested in being there.

I know some have issues, but im okay with Tom and ex-players as commentators for the most part. They try too hard sometimes to be something theyre not and should ease back on that a little bit. Tom is no South American commentator and shouldnt try to mimic one, and he should vary up his patter sometimes instead of giving it 'Mor-el-os' every single time he scores. As for the ex-players they choose it seems a bit random and no one seems to be paying any attention to how good they actually are. Big DJ clearly fancies a career as a comedian, but his jokes are about as funny as toothache. He goes way off topic too often for a commentator. Whilst I must admit I enjoy the spontaneous outbursts of joy from Lovenkrands, his general observations can be a bit lame. Burns is uber-staunch but goes way OTT sometimes. He dwells on things far too long and doesnt keep up with play as a result. Personally I think they could make better use of Andy Little and Steven Thomson both of whom I find to be excellent. Having a current player who is recovering from injury up there with Tom is a great idea since they can give good anecdotes from inside the dressing room and training field.
Bin Alice because shes a women and “knows nothing about the game”.

But keep the clueless old guy who knows even less.

Steven Thomson? Who is that? Do you mean Steven Thompson? Or do you mean Kevin Thomson?

I don’t remember Steven Thompson being on RTV for years.

Alice was giving out the wristbands to the Rangers brunch in Dubai back in January, so she must be a jack of all trades for the club.

I've gone over the 2 pics and cant see it. Which corner is it meant to be in? A stand alone studio or is it under the screens?

Its just a glass frontage that I can see. Diagonally down from the screens at the corner of the brommie

Steven Thomson? Who is that? Do you mean Steven Thompson? Or do you mean Kevin Thomson?

Alice was giving out the wristbands to the Rangers brunch in Dubai back in January, so she must be a jack of all trades for the club.

Steven Thompson hadn’t featured for years, as you say. Hugh Burns got dumped early in season 18/19 if I recall correctly so hasn’t been around for a while either.

Kevin Thomson, Lovenkrands, Little and Stevie Smith are the mainstays these days - and all are pretty good in their own ways.

As for Alice, anyone paying attention will know that she does a bit more than cheesy interviews. She seems to handle all our media for matches in Europe for one thing. Watch any of the Europa League press conferences and you will see her up there beside Gerrard and acting as ‘conductor’ of the media throughout. Media Liaison Officer or similar would appear to be her role.

The supposed ‘studio’ between the Govan and Broomloan is an area that has been there for years and has been used when covering matches in the past. No idea what it’s ‘normal’ role is or whether it will be used to any purpose this season by RangersTV.

Steven Thompson hadn’t featured for years, as you say. Hugh Burns got dumped early in season 18/19 if I recall correctly so hasn’t been around for a while either.

Kevin Thomson, Lovenkrands, Little and Stevie Smith are the mainstays these days - and all are pretty good in their own ways.

As for Alice, anyone paying attention will know that she does a bit more than cheesy interviews. She seems to handle all our media for matches in Europe for one thing. Watch any of the Europa League press conferences and you will see her up there beside Gerrard and acting as ‘conductor’ of the media throughout. Media Liaison Officer or similar would appear to be her role.

The supposed ‘studio’ between the Govan and Broomloan is an area that has been there for years and has been used when covering matches in the past. No idea what it’s ‘normal’ role is or whether it will be used to any purpose this season by RangersTV.

I might be wrong but I think that is where the sensory room for autistic kids is located now.

I might be wrong but I think that is where the sensory room for autistic kids is located now.

Entirely possible mate, I have no idea. Simply making the point that there is a 'room' of some sorts there that has been used in the past for broadcasting matches. I'm far from convinced by the claim its been turned into a RangersTV studio for the coming season but you never know. If its currently the Sensory Room we will not abandon that for RangersTV.

Bin Alice because shes a women and “knows nothing about the game”.

But keep the clueless old guy who knows even less.
I didn’t say bin her because she’s a woman. I said she was probably hired for the wrong reason and does a poor job. I didn’t rule out another female as a replacement, but if you think she knows more about Rangers than Tom then you’re at it.

I didn’t say bin her because she’s a woman. I said she was probably hired for the wrong reason and does a poor job. I didn’t rule out another female as a replacement, but if you think she knows more about Rangers than Tom then you’re at it.
You think she knows less than Tom because shes a women. Shes perfectly well qualified for her job and does absolutely fine.

You didn’t mention Rangers, he probably does know more about the history of Rangers - as a fan. I’d put money on Alice knowing more about “the game” as you said.

Sorry I meant Kevin.

I don’t know exactly what Alice‘s role is but she comes across like she’s doing a job she has no interest in

You think she knows less than Tom because shes a women. Shes perfectly well qualified for her job and does absolutely fine.

You didn’t mention Rangers, he probably does know more about the history of Rangers - as a fan. I’d put money on Alice knowing more about “the game” as you said.
I never said she knew less because she’s a woman. Read my post carefully. I said she seems disinterested in the job. I don’t understand where you get that she knows more about football than a guy who’s been watching for 50 years or more, but its not a general broadcasting position she’s in, its working for Rangers. A bit of passion for the club would be nice. The lassie that works for Edgar would do a better job imo.

A host is supposed to be warm and inviting not have a face like thunder. Would it hurt her to crack a smile once in a while?

Last edited:
Is there not an old studio in the stadium they are refurbishing?

As someone said in another thread, someone like Tanner as studio host with McCann or McCoist on Co-Comms. Some random freelancer like Peter Brackley on comms (just plucked his name out of thin air as an example)

Peter passed away about 18 months ago, so i don't expect him to be available any time soon.

Peter passed away about 18 months ago, so i don't expect him to be available any time soon.

He was the first that came to mind as a freelancer who would do loads of random channels.

Never heard about his passing.

Or as Alan Brazil would say, I heard two different stories.

I never said she knew less because she’s a woman. Read my post carefully. I said she seems disinterested in the job. I don’t understand where you get that she knows more about football than a guy who’s been watching for 50 years or more, but its not a general broadcasting position she’s in, its working for Rangers. A bit of passion for the club would be nice. The lassie that works for Edgar would do a better job imo.

A host is supposed to be warm and inviting not have a face like thunder. Would it hurt her to crack a smile once in a while?
Fucking hell. She doesn’t smile enough for you? Pathetic.

Fucking hell. She doesn’t smile enough for you? Pathetic.
A host is supposed to be warm that’s their job. She just doesn’t seem interested, in fact she looks hungover half the time. Despite what you say, she doesn’t appear that knowledgable either about Rangers or a football in general. I can’t recall her ever making an insightful remark once

You’ve clearly got a hard on for her for some reason, but we could do much better imo

Back