RTV & Firestick

Theres usually an option on your TV for upscaling an imagine too. So you could try that. The option is different depending on the model of your TV. I have a panasonic and if I go into the picture menu settings using my TV remote theres an option in there called "overscan" which sets the aspect ratio i.e. itll fill out the source video to match your TV resolution. Gie that a go.
Edit: If you put into google something like "how to upscale HDMI source imagine on my [enter TV brand name here] TV" and it should step you through the setup.
Good shout but I have an LG E7 which doesn't have 'Overscan' as an option. I followed RTINGs advice when I set it up.
"In the 'Aspect Ratio Settings' tab, we selected the 'Original' 'Aspect Ratio' with the 'Just Scan' option set to 'On' so that our HDMI input would be automatically matched to the screen without needing to change the 'overscan' setting from the source output setting." So I think that means it's done automatically.
I took a run though the available Aspect Ratio options but no luck.
I reset the Android box just in case I'd done anything and I can now use the square icon to split the screen which expands the RTV window to 50% of the screen. I can also now drag the other 50% off screen but when I do that the RTV window goes back to about 1/8th of the screen. Also tried the HDMI labels in case that was doing something. Back to hoping the new app resolves it.

Last edited:
Good shout but I have an LG E7 which doesn't have 'Overscan' as an option. I followed RINGs advice when I set it up.
"In the 'Aspect Ratio Settings' tab, we selected the 'Original' 'Aspect Ratio' with the 'Just Scan' option set to 'On' so that our HDMI input would be automatically matched to the screen without needing to change the 'overscan' setting from the source output setting." So I think that means it's done automatically.
I took a run though the available Aspect Ratio options but no luck.
I reset the Android box just in case I'd done anything and I can now use the square icon to split the screen which expands the RTV window to 50% of the screen. I can also now drag the other 50% off screen but when I do that the RTV window goes back to about 1/8th of the screen. Also tried the HDMI labels in case that was doing something. Back to hoping the new app resolves it.
If you use chrome to open an RTV video from the website, does it look OK?

Using an ethernet cable connected to the firestick ( you can get adapters from amazon) helps improve streaming. If your router is not close enough you u can get wifi boosters that send the signal through your electrical wiring too.

Connect from your computer via an HDMI source . HDMI Computer to HDMI on TV,

Option 2 - And this works perfectly and I assume its for people erm outside the UK. Like me who spends most of my time in Brussels.

Buy an Android TV Box. Like so - https://www.amazon.co.uk/PLUS-Android-Quad-Core-2-4Ghz-Ethernet/dp/B07X9RS78G/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2AMKM9ZN312SO&dchild=1&keywords=android+tv+box&qid=1594044134&sprefix=ANDROID+,aps,151&sr=8-4

You can install Netflix, prime, Disney SKY Go - All your legal Apps on there. Its just a Mutimedia player. A one stop box. Also you can connect a HDD to it and play USB movies from it. You can even install KODI on it and it will catalogue yiur USB movies. No fancy network devices etc or streaming.

Install Rangers TV app on this box from Google Play.

Assuming your out of UK - It will work fine.

You can always if you felt you had the need install a VPN on this box. I recommend strongvpn

PM Me for any questions.

I’ve got an Nvidia shield, last time I checked the google play store the RTV app wasn’t on there. I contacted RTV & they said it was only for mobiles.

Might look at putting the vpn on the router. I think @Valley Bluenose you suggested that previously?

Wasn’t me mate. However, if your router can take it then putting the VPN on the router is the optimum solution. Not too many ‘free’ routers from broadband providers will be capable though. If you’ve bought your own it might.

Last edited:
Using an ethernet cable connected to the firestick ( you can get adapters from amazon) helps improve streaming. If your router is not close enough you u can get wifi boosters that send the signal through your electrical wiring too.

For work reasons and a household that makes a lot of demand on the WiFi, I bought one of these - Tenda Wi-Fi powerline adapters, which sends your WiFi signal along your power line. So matter how far you are away from the router or how thick the walls are, the signal is excellent. You must connect direct to the socket and not through an extension cable.

Just read your post again, so you know this already, meant to type in a separate post.

Would be useful if the new app was available on PS4 or Xbox like BT so I could put it through the tele. My laptop basically crashes when hooked up to a HDMI.

I just log into the Rangers.tv via the club website using the silk browser on the firestick. "When abroad" I switch on my VPN. No need for any other faffing about.
That shouldn't be an issue this year with the virtual season tickets though should it?

Only covers the home games, so the first game of the season you might want to take a short flight to Belgium or The Netherlands...
Duh! I feel a bit stupid lol. I'm assuming most of our away ones will be on Sky Sports anyway. Away games that aren't on TV are available on RTV normally (in UK) aren't they?

Last edited:
We need to get an app up and running for firestick etc with so many people going to be logging in for games

Casting phone to firestick would be a decent option until there's an actual app for the stick. Quality is spot on when casting to a 4k stick anyway.

I have an Ethernet connection to my Firestick. Using the silk browser and getting 4k quality, this is my preferred method now for watching games on RTV. Always have the laptop for backup too.
No need for casting or VPN in bear country :cool:

Back