RTV & Firestick

TommyC

Official Ticketer
Any games I cant make I've been watching on a laptop, works perfectly fine, but I've been trying to suss a way of getting it on the TV. I've bought a firestick and I've worked out how to get RTV playing on the silk browser directly on the firestick and also can get it working using google chrome to "cast the tab" from my laptop. I've since watched a few videos just to test the quality.

Neither options have great quality. Casting the tab is by far the worst of the 2. Wondering how people doing this are getting on with the quality? Are they 1080p really high quality or are they a bit blurry? And what can I do to try any improve the quality if anything?

Connect from your computer via an HDMI source . HDMI Computer to HDMI on TV,

Option 2 - And this works perfectly and I assume its for people erm outside the UK. Like me who spends most of my time in Brussels.

Buy an Android TV Box. Like so - https://www.amazon.co.uk/PLUS-Android-Quad-Core-2-4Ghz-Ethernet/dp/B07X9RS78G/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2AMKM9ZN312SO&dchild=1&keywords=android+tv+box&qid=1594044134&sprefix=ANDROID+,aps,151&sr=8-4

You can install Netflix, prime, Disney SKY Go - All your legal Apps on there. Its just a Mutimedia player. A one stop box. Also you can connect a HDD to it and play USB movies from it. You can even install KODI on it and it will catalogue yiur USB movies. No fancy network devices etc or streaming.

Install Rangers TV app on this box from Google Play.

Assuming your out of UK - It will work fine.

You can always if you felt you had the need install a VPN on this box. I recommend strongvpn

PM Me for any questions.

Any games I cant make I've been watching on a laptop, works perfectly fine, but I've been trying to suss a way of getting it on the TV. I've bought a firestick and I've worked out how to get RTV playing on the silk browser directly on the firestick and also can get it working using google chrome to "cast the tab" from my laptop. I've since watched a few videos just to test the quality.

Neither options have great quality. Casting the tab is by far the worst of the 2. Wondering how people doing this are getting on with the quality? Are they 1080p really high quality or are they a bit blurry? And what can I do to try any improve the quality if anything?

The company that produces our app for RTV does Man City’s, and they have a FireTV and Apple TV offering. Think it’s a case of writing to Mr Marshall and asking if we’re gonna press the button to get the same.

Otherwise the advice would be to play direct from something with a decent processor like a laptop with HDMI or Raspberry Pi4, you’re always going to introduce problems decoding streams, reencoding and then casting them to be decoded again on a livestream.

I managed to side load the app onto the Firestick, but also had to mess about with the settings slightly and install a pointer to get it working.
It's a bit of a faff getting it to work so will probably just cast it when the games start.

thanks for the replies. I am a bit shocked our app isnt native on something like the firestick yet. I think that would pretty much solve the quality issues and would help a lot of folk out. Im not sure if im doing something wrong with the silk browser method, theres an option to set the quality to 1080p but its defo not rendering on the TV at that so im not sure if the resolution is knocking it out. I think my TV is set to upscale content. Its watchable, I think, it just does my nut in because we are spoiled with ultra HD 4k from sky these days.

Option 2 - And this works perfectly and I assume its for people erm outside the UK. Like me who spends most of my time in Brussels.

Buy an Android TV Box. Like so - https://www.amazon.co.uk/PLUS-Android-Quad-Core-2-4Ghz-Ethernet/dp/B07X9RS78G/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2AMKM9ZN312SO&dchild=1&keywords=android+tv+box&qid=1594044134&sprefix=ANDROID+,aps,151&sr=8-4

You can install Netflix, prime, Disney SKY Go - All your legal Apps on there. Its just a Mutimedia player. A one stop box. Also you can connect a HDD to it and play USB movies from it. You can even install KODI on it and it will catalogue yiur USB movies. No fancy network devices etc or streaming.

You can always if you felt you had the need install a VPN on this box. I recommend strongvpn

PM Me for any questions.

cheers for typing all that out! I got a good wee deal on surfshark yesterday and have bought that so my VPN is sorted. So what you're describing would be a good way to get the app working

thanks for the replies. I am a bit shocked our app isnt native on something like the firestick yet. I think that would pretty much solve the quality issues and would help a lot of folk out. Im not sure if im doing something wrong with the silk browser method, theres an option to set the quality to 1080p but its defo not rendering on the TV at that so im not sure if the resolution is knocking it out. I think my TV is set to upscale content. Its watchable, I think, it just does my nut in because we are spoiled with ultra HD 4k from sky these days.

I sometimes wonder if there’s an agreement about RTV and differentiating mobile and TV based access. It’d make sense, BT and Sky do the same with their offerings, but that lines getting more and more blurry as time goes on.

I watch every game on RTV and unfortunately for me it is the wifes Apple Mac plugged into the TV with a decent HDMI cable that gives the best quality still.
Hopefully the new App they are talking about will be easy to use and good quality but for now this works best for me, which goes down like a lead balloon if the wife has work to do.

I downloaded FireFox browser onto the Fire TV stick and although the layout of RTV is pretty naff on it, once you actually start watching a video and expand to full screen, the quality of the video is good after a few seconds of being a bit blurry.

That's probably going to be how i'll watch our games whilst I'm on holiday at the end of next month.

I watch every game on RTV and unfortunately for me it is the wifes Apple Mac plugged into the TV with a decent HDMI cable that gives the best quality still.
Hopefully the new App they are talking about will be easy to use and good quality but for now this works best for me, which goes down like a lead balloon if the wife has work to do.

hahaha. Ive just had a mess about there and managed to cast it from my iphone. So if this is a legit problem the fix is pretty easy but the highest quality I seem to get the option of selecting is 720p. It's watchable but best no trying to watch it right after watching something in HD!

Download an app on your firestick (if thats what you're using) called AirScreen. If you then fire on to RTV and start a video playing on your phone you will then see theres an option to cast it to the TV via this app. You can then select the maximum quality itll offer using your firestick remote. It'll work with android phones as well im sure.

cheers for typing all that out! I got a good wee deal on surfshark yesterday and have bought that so my VPN is sorted. So what you're describing would be a good way to get the app working

I have been using surfshark for a while now. Best VPN service. Server in Netherlands is particularly quick;)

Info on Surfshark, I got a belter of a deal, unlimited devices connected, £36 for a 2 year subscription, use quidco to pay for it and they give you £22 cashback, so £7 per year

Will you still have to be outside the uk this season?

wasnt there talk of everyone being able to watch the games live

I noticed recently that I can no longer cast from my phone to the TV. Don't know if it's been removed

Will you still have to be outside the uk this season?

wasnt there talk of everyone being able to watch the games live

For League homes games it will legal to watch within the UK this coming season without the need of VPN

Is there any way just to watch rtv on a smart tv ?

Or do you have to go down the road that's already been mentioned in the thread which I think seems a pain in the arse to be honest

Would hope it's possible in time for the home games this season to be able to stream through the firestick, smart tv app etc.

Or do you have to go down the road that's already been mentioned in the thread which I think seems a pain in the arse to be honest

You can try it via the tv browser. They are notoriously shit and underpowered though. Then there’s the issue of a VPN if you are not simply watching the virtual season ticket games. Laptop and HDMI is by far the best way to go if possible.

Anyone know how much the RTV subscription that allows those who are “abroad” to watch the games is? Can’t see anything on the RTV website

say I was in the Ardennes, my brother in Nijmegen and my father in Zell am see would we all be able to watch it on the same account?

aye, I happen to be in many “different countries“ depending on VPN server performance. I don’t think the club want to make it difficult for you to give then money. They have the basic/necessary minimum geo-location stuff in place and that’s all they need to fulfill whatever bullshit forced on them.

say I was in the Ardennes, my brother in Nijmegen and my father in Zell am see would we all be able to watch it on the same account?
I'm not too sure mate, but I don't see why not.
You are simply subscribing to the service, I don't think it matters where you are, as long as you are not in the uk.
I don't know if there is a limit on the number of devices you can watch it on.

as mentioned native browser, most are shit and a fucking nightmare to faff about with. Get a firestick, it’s a £20 quid investment and that’s you sorted. The quality is not ultra HD but it’s defo watchable. My initial complaint about quality in the first post is specifically drawing a comparison to sky sports HD.

once you have the firestick you can cast with your phone or laptop which takes 2 seconds or you can install that application I mentioned in earlier posts which again takes 2 seconds. All you would do on a game day is fire into your phone/laptop and start up the stream and then select the option to view it on your TV (that option will now be available after installing the app I’m referring to)

aye, I happen to be in many “different countries“ depending on VPN server performance. I don’t think the club want to make it difficult for you to give then money. They have the basic/necessary minimum geo-location stuff in place and that’s all they need to fulfill whatever bullshit forced on them.

i am glad you also get to travel. Can people watch on multiple devices in diff countries?

i am glad you also get to travel. Can people watch on multiple devices in diff countries?

I understand what you’re asking now. I’m not sure what restrictions there are on number of devices/simultaneous streams. I’d imagine there will be something otherwise club would lose a fair bit of cash.

I'm not too sure mate, but I don't see why not.
You are simply subscribing to the service, I don't think it matters where you are, as long as you are not in the uk.
I don't know if there is a limit on the number of devices you can watch it on.
Don't think that's what he's asking, more a case can three different people use the same account at the same time.

PM Me for any questions.
Hope it’s ok to jump in here.
I have an H96 Pro + box, 3Gb RAM & 32 Gb ROM running Android 7.1.1. When i saw your post I dug it out, connected via Ethernet (344 Mbps) and HDMI to my TV and downloaded the RTV app as you advised.
Thing is, it’ll only display on about a quarter of the screen. Tried hitting the square icon, tried long-pressing it, tried dragging the narrow window to expand but there aren’t any handles or black lines to grab.
Any ideas? RTV isn’t watchable like this.

Either HDMI on laptop to TV or cast from phone / tablet / laptop to Chromecast on TV.

Never any issues :)

Hope it’s ok to jump in here.
I have an H96 Pro + box, 3Gb RAM & 32 Gb ROM running Android 7.1.1. When i saw your post I dug it out, connected via Ethernet (344 Mbps) and HDMI to my TV and downloaded the RTV app as you advised.
Thing is, it’ll only display on about a quarter of the screen. Tried hitting the square icon, tried long-pressing it, tried dragging the narrow window to expand but there aren’t any handles or black lines to grab.
Any ideas? RTV isn’t watchable like this.

Have you updated Android to check for any new drivers? Sounds like it’s taking a fixed window size from somewhere and applying it as default.

Have you updated Android to check for any new drivers? Sounds like it’s taking a fixed window size from somewhere and applying it as default.

Appreciate the suggestion but can't update Android as it's not 'stock?(I think that's the reason), believe the current RTV app may be designed for phones and that's the issue? Any way I could prove this?
Bear in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about here.:)

Appreciate the suggestion but can't update Android as it's not 'stock?(I think that's the reason), believe the current RTV app may be designed for phones and that's the issue? Any way I could prove this?
Bear in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about here.:)

Theres usually an option on your TV for upscaling an imagine too. So you could try that. The option is different depending on the model of your TV. I have a panasonic and if I go into the picture menu settings using my TV remote theres an option in there called "overscan" which sets the aspect ratio i.e. itll fill out the source video to match your TV resolution. Gie that a go.

Edit: If you put into google something like "how to upscale HDMI source imagine on my [enter TV brand name here] TV" and it should step you through the setup.

Anyone know how much the RTV subscription that allows those who are “abroad” to watch the games is? Can’t see anything on the RTV website

You won’t see the overseas packages offered unless you are actually overseas or using a VPN to make it appear you are overseas.

The prices are £240 for the Annual Unlimited package or £24 per month for the monthly Unlimited package.

Either HDMI on laptop to TV or cast from phone / tablet / laptop to Chromecast on TV.

Never any issues :)

When I was watching a game from RTV that I had purchased, I was unable to cast to the TV from my mobile. I kept getting the message "this game is not available in your country". I had nordvpn on my phone, no problem watching it on my phone, but as soon as I tried casting unable to do so. Reckon it is because casting works through WiFi and therefore detects you are in the UK.

I use a FIrestick with Nord VPN and Silk Browser. As mentioned previously, the browser layout is a bit of a faff getting it full screen etc but it works fine for me.

When I was watching a game from RTV that I had purchased, I was unable to cast to the TV from my mobile. I kept getting the message "this game is not available in your country". I had nordvpn on my phone, no problem watching it on my phone, but as soon as I tried casting unable to do so. Reckon it is because casting works through WiFi and therefore detects you are in the UK.

when you cast you are effectively giving control over to another device so my understanding is that device will also need to be running a VPN. However I thought after the initial geo-location check was done i.e. as you buy the game you could switch your VPN off - so that seems odd to me! See if you can get NordVPN on your TV and just enable it.

when you cast you are effectively giving control over to another device so my understanding is that device will also need to be running a VPN. However I thought after the initial geo-location check was done i.e. as you buy the game you could switch your VPN off - so that seems odd to me! See if you can get NordVPN on your TV and just enable it.

No, you can no longer switch the VPN off midstream. It will cut off after about 1 minute.

Given how ubiquitous and cheap good no-log VPN’s are can I please implore all bears to avoid the free ones as well, all manner of shite that goes through them you want no part of. If you’re not paying you’re the goods and all that.

No, you can no longer switch the VPN off midstream. It will cut off after about 1 minute.

good to know. This confirms @cadge_1959 you need your TV to have the VPN in place and on as you cast to it.

Edit - the more I think about it actually you could tether your TV off your phone if for some reason you couldnt install a VPN on your TV.

Last edited:

You need to cast from your device Cast icon, not the Cast icon that is on the RTV app.

Back