RTV Ipad issues

bapper

RTV videos won’t play on my Ipad Pro, can anyone help with this. It worked fine up until yesterday.

Try this on your iPad. Go to:

Settings - Safari. Scroll down and find Request Desktop Site. Expand it and set the slider to OFF.

Refresh your page in Safari and try again.

For some reason, as of this morning, this ‘glitch’ has appeared.

Courtesy of Valley Bluenose

RTV videos won’t play on my Ipad Pro, can anyone help with this. It worked fine up until yesterday.
I’m on my iPad and just tried there, I was getting RTV to load but getting a blank screen when actually trying to play videos. Played about a bit and it’s Crystal that was stopping me watching anything, I disabled that and everything is playing ok now. Have a mess about with your content blockers, it will be one of them that’s the issue.

Many thanks for the advice, Valley Bluenose’s tip seems to have done the trick. Do you know if it’s best to keep the “ request desktop” button off at all times?

Many thanks for the advice, Valley Bluenose’s tip seems to have done the trick. Do you know if it’s best to keep the “ request desktop” button off at all times?

it looks that way as a couple of websites that werent working properly for me now do.

Try this on your iPad. Go to:

Settings - Safari. Scroll down and find Request Desktop Site. Expand it and set the slider to OFF.

Refresh your page in Safari and try again.

For some reason, as of this morning, this ‘glitch’ has appeared.

Courtesy of Valley Bluenose

Yup, that’s the solution I stumbled upon - by chance. I haven’t noticed it have an impact on other sites as yet.

This only changed on Friday morning so I expect we will get a load of posts on it tomorrow as folk tune in for the game.

No idea if the change that caused this is at Apple’s end or RangersTV’s. However, I do note another poster say he had the same issue with sites other than RangersTV, which suggest an Apple change, @GEODGC mentions adblocker and I do have one (AdBlock plus) but the change above was the simplest solution for me. And easily ‘fixed’.

I’ve emailed support@rangerstv.tv and made them aware of the issue and the ‘fix’.

EDIT: See post #21 for update. Now resolved.

Last edited:
A wee bump for this as I’ve seen another post in it. Bound to be many who run into problems trying to view the match tomorrow. It’s an easy fix.

Last edited:
I’ve always watched RTV through my PlayStation noticed it’s stopped letting me watch it on the full screen, I’m assuming it’s tied into this.... does anybody know how to fix it?

Yup, that’s the solution I stumbled upon - by chance. I haven’t noticed it have an impact on other sites as yet.

This only changed on Friday morning so I expect we will get a load of posts on it tomorrow as folk tune in for the game.

No idea if the change that caused this is at Apple’s end or RangersTV’s. However, I do note another poster say he had the same issue with sites other than RangersTV, which suggest an Apple change, @GEODGC mentions adblocker and I do have one (AdBlock plus) but the change above was the simplest solution for me. And easily ‘fixed’.

I’ve emailed support@rangerstv.tv and made them aware of the issue and the ‘fix’.

Mate thanks but what’s the fix for other browsers eg Chrome / Opera ?

Mate thanks but what’s the fix for other browsers eg Chrome / Opera ?

On the iPad? No idea mate I’ve always used Safari. Wasn’t even aware that this glitch - which only appeared last Friday morning - affected other browsers as well. RangersTV works absolutely fine on Safari (once you make this change).

If you’re talking about those browsers on other devices then you have bigger problems, probably VPN-related. RangersTV works, for me, with every browser I’ve tried on pc - Edge, Firefox and Chrome - and many others have it working fine on Opera.

If it’s not iPad related probably best to start another thread and we will see if we can help. This thread is probably best kept short and sweet for this specific iPad-related issue.

Last edited:
Cheers man . I’m iPad and use non-safari browser but it’s cool I will use the native Safari for RTV games cheers again.

Glad you are sorted mate. After making this change you should have no issue on Safari.

I'm intrigued though that you suggest this impacts on other browsers as well. I'd just assumed it was only affecting the inbuilt Safari browser. You have tried playing RangersTV video on these browsers and they've failed I assume?

Also acts as a wee bump for this thread as we get nearer to kick-off.:)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Glad you are sorted mate. After making this change you should have no issue on Safari.

I'm intrigued though that you suggest this impacts on other browsers as well. I'd just assumed it was only affecting the inbuilt Safari browser. You have tried playing RangersTV video on these browsers and they've failed I assume?

Also acts as a wee bump for this thread as we get nearer to kick-off.:)

Your fix is now being issued by RangersTVSupport. Received this reply.

Well done VB.

“Due to a recent Apple update some videos are showing a white space where you would usually see the RTV Player.

Please follow the below steps for a temporary fix.

Go to:

iPad Settings > Safari. Scroll down and find Request Desktop Site. Open it and set the slider to OFF.

Refresh your page in Safari and try again.”

Your fix is now being issued by RangersTVSupport. Received this reply.

Well done VB.

“Due to a recent Apple update some videos are showing a white space where you would usually see the RTV Player.

Please follow the below steps for a temporary fix.

Go to:

iPad Settings > Safari. Scroll down and find Request Desktop Site. Open it and set the slider to OFF.

Refresh your page in Safari and try again.”

Ha, they could at least have given me - and FollowFollow - a wee acknowledgement for giving them the answer. They probably didn't even know there was an issue to be fair.

I'm kidding by the way before anyone starts.:)

Last edited:
Set this only for RTV instead of all sites. Set the default as above back to desktop.
Now go to RTV and once opened, click on the AA at the left of the url bar. Here there is website settings where you can tell just this site to use the mobile site without affecting others. Prob worth keeping it as mobile as there is little difference between the two for RTV on the iPad.

UPDATE:

For those who changed their Safari settings in order to resolve playback issues on RangersTV it would seem that the ‘glitch’ has now been rectified. Videos are now playing for me on the default Safari settings on iPad. That’s on iPadOS 13.2.2 for me.

To get back to where you were before this issue appeared, do the following on your iPad:

Settings - Safari- scroll down to ‘Request Desktop Site ‘ and expand it then set the slider to ‘on’ (green).

I didn’t encounter any problems on any site with it set to off it has to be said but I prefer to get back to where I was a few weeks ago.:)

Last edited:
I had this problem which didn’t sort after the update but the gurus at RTV told me what to do and it sorted it, the advice being exactly as described in the second post

I had this problem which didn’t sort after the update but the gurus at RTV told me what to do and it sorted it, the advice being exactly as described in the second post

See my post above yours @AndythephotoDr you should be able to revert to 'normal' settings now. Hopefully. Just checked mine today and got it working so maybe not related to iPadOS update but something on RangersTV perhaps?

As an Old Fart, I’ve been wanting to buy RTV, however all the obstacles to be undertaken on our Apple products, plus wanting to put it onto a Panasonic Smart TV, is beyond me. I’ll wait and see if they overcome these problems, sad as it looks very good.

As an Old Fart, I’ve been wanting to buy RTV, however all the obstacles to be undertaken on our Apple products, plus wanting to put it onto a Panasonic Smart TV, is beyond me. I’ll wait and see if they overcome these problems, sad as it looks very good.

TBH there's no issue viewing RangersTV on *most* Apple products. I watch on iPad and even iPhone when I don't have access to a desktop or laptop. The primary issue since the introduction of the new player is an 'incompatibility' with AppleTV - which I assume you want to use to get it onto your television set, just like many others.

They've hinted that this might be resolved when they release the long-awaited App for RangersTV. I'm not confident I have to say. You are probably right to hold off for now. They suggested the App may be released before Christmas.

TBH there's no issue viewing RangersTV on *most* Apple products. I watch on iPad and even iPhone when I don't have access to a desktop or laptop. The primary issue since the introduction of the new player is an 'incompatibility' with AppleTV - which I assume you want to use to get it onto your television set, just like many others.

They've hinted that this might be resolved when they release the long-awaited App for RangersTV. I'm not confident I have to say. You are probably right to hold off for now. They suggested the App may be released before Christmas.

Thanks for the reply hope young Marshall reads and passes on the post.

A wee bump for those who changed their iPad Settings when this glitch appeared. It’s fixed now, so you can restore your Settings to what they were formerly:

Settings - Safari- scroll down to ‘Request Desktop Site ‘ and expand it then set the slider to ‘on’ (green).

Have they released the chromecast functionality yet that they said would be there by the end of the year?

Edit: appears they haven’t as yet

A wee bump for those who changed their iPad Settings when this glitch appeared. It’s fixed now, so you can restore your Settings to what they were formerly:

I’m going to get RTV and VPN soon. I don’t have any of the equipment yet so what’s best to buy for watching on tv? I have an iPhone. I’m going to get a new tv as well so I’ll be starting from scratch.

I’m going to get RTV and VPN soon. I don’t have any of the equipment yet so what’s best to buy for watching on tv? I have an iPhone. I’m going to get a new tv as well so I’ll be starting from scratch.

Well, some find it unwieldy, but the best way for watching on a tv is to hook up a laptop with an HDMI cable. It’s easily the option that produces the fewest problems.

Failing that, another decent way is to get it to your TV by streaming it on your iPad/iPhone connected to the tv via an AppleTV device. However, since they introduced the new player, casting to AppleTV hasn’t been working for most folk. That might be addressed when they release the App, which was promised to arrive before Christmas.

In all honesty, right now, I’d hang onto your cash until we get the App and get some feedback on how it performs. If it works with AppleTV then a second-hand AppleTV box might be the way to go - unless you can pick up a cheap laptop from somewhere.

Well, some find it unwieldy, but the best way for watching on a tv is to hook up a laptop with an HDMI cable. It’s easily the option that produces the fewest problems.

Failing that, another decent way is to get it to your TV by streaming it on your iPad/iPhone connected to the tv via an AppleTV device. However, since they introduced the new player, casting to AppleTV hasn’t been working for most folk. That might be addressed when they release the App, which was promised to arrive before Christmas.

In all honesty, right now, I’d hang onto your cash until we get the App and get some feedback on how it performs. If it works with AppleTV then a second-hand AppleTV box might be the way to go - unless you can pick up a cheap laptop from somewhere.
I’ve got a laptop that I rarely use so that sounds ideal. Do I just download a vpn onto the laptop?

I’ve got a laptop that I rarely use so that sounds ideal. Do I just download a vpn onto the laptop?

Yes mate. Find a VPN and download it. Their website should have instructions on how to set it up and use it. Some simply use the free VPN that’s included with Opera browser. Others can advise on that but it might be a decent, and simple, start point for you. I do find that those who have the most problems seem to be those using free VPNs though.

If you decide to pay for one, the ‘best’ appear to be ExpressVPN or NordVPN. Look out for deals and be aware that the longer the period you subscribe for the cheaper it will get. A three year sub to either of the 2 I mentioned should be available at around £3 per month or less. Whatever you do, don’t pay month by month or it costs a fortune. Most also offer a free trial, some for a week or more. Try before you buy sort of thing.

Yes mate. Find a VPN and download it. Their website should have instructions on how to set it up and use it. Some simply use the free VPN that’s included with Opera browser. Others can advise on that but it might be a decent, and simple, start point for you. I do find that those who have the most problems seem to be those using free VPNs though.

If you decide to pay for one, the ‘best’ appear to be ExpressVPN or NordVPN. Look out for deals and be aware that the longer the period you subscribe for the cheaper it will get. A three year sub to either of the 2 I mentioned should be available at around £3 per month or less. Whatever you do, don’t pay month by month or it costs a fortune. Most also offer a free trial, some for a week or more. Try before you buy sort of thing.
Perfect. Thanks mate.

Back