RTV Mobile App Launched

Can’t help you with paras 2 and 3. As regards PIA, it’s the one I use. I find it excellent and it is one of the fastest out there. In terms of the most recommended the two that repeatedly come out ahead are ExpressVPN and NordVPN. I don’t think your VPN is the problem though (and it’s not often I say that).

Flawless for me today again using PIA.
Cheers bud. VPN change was my last hope.

Cheers bud. VPN change was my last hope.

There have been issues with AppleTV for quite some time. However, I see reports of people finding the new App works better with it than some other options.

Is it just when casting to AppleTV that you have the problem? In other words, does it play alright on the MacBook when viewing on that? Good to see you’ve invested some time in trying to resolve it yourself - a rare thing.

I assume you are setting your VPN to a location near UK?. France, Belgium etc.

There have been issues with AppleTV for quite some time. However, I see reports of people finding the new App works better with it than some other options.

Is it just when casting to AppleTV that you have the problem? In other words, does it play alright on the MacBook when viewing on that? Good to see you’ve invested some time in trying to resolve it yourself - a rare thing.

I assume you are setting your VPN to a location near UK?. France, Belgium etc.
Even when I’m watching on just the phone or Mac, it’s buffering. There definitely seems to be that casting issue though when I do get a good few minutes too. Apple TV doesn’t like RTV cast from mac or iPhone. I tried the app to cast today and it went on there, sweet as you like. Then a minute later, it buffered again :D

It doesn’t matter if I’m on WiFi or 4G either. It is a complete mystery. There’s not much that I haven’t explored in terms of my own system. That’s why I was going to try changing VPN. The one thing I’m a bit suspicious of is the actual internet. 4G does work that bit better than BB. But everything else is great. Netflix, Aussie TV.

Even when I’m watching on just the phone or Mac, it’s buffering. There definitely seems to be that casting issue though when I do get a good few minutes too. Apple TV doesn’t like RTV cast from mac or iPhone. I tried the app to cast today and it went on there, sweet as you like. Then a minute later, it buffered again :D

It doesn’t matter if I’m on WiFi or 4G either. It is a complete mystery. There’s not much that I haven’t explored in terms of my own system. That’s why I was going to try changing VPN. The one thing I’m a bit suspicious of is the actual internet. 4G does work that bit better than BB. But everything else is great. Netflix, Aussie TV.

You’ve certainly done your troubleshooting. What leaps out for me there is your comment that 4G is better than Wi-fi. That shouldn’t happen. Given the effort you've put in I guess you’ve already done a Speedtest? Try one with and then without the VPN to see what your actual speed is, rather than theoretical. Ookla Speedtest is as good as any to use, either via their App if you have it or on their website linked below. Make sure VPN is set to France, Belgium or The Netherlands though. Also make sure the wife isn’t on Netflix or the kids on XBox (if applicable) at the same time.:)

Also, I’m sure you need iOS 9 (or the Mac equivalent) or better for RangersTV.

You’ve certainly done your troubleshooting. What leaps out for me there is your comment that 4G is better than Wi-fi. That shouldn’t happen. Given the effort you've put in I guess you’ve already done a Speedtest? Try one with and then without the VPN to see what your actual speed is, rather than theoretical. Ookla Speedtest is as good as any to use, either via their App if you have it or on their website linked below. Make sure VPN is set to France, Belgium or The Netherlands though. Also make sure the wife isn’t on Netflix or the kids on XBox (if applicable) at the same time.:)

Also, I’m sure you need iOS 9 (or the Mac equivalent) or better for RangersTV.

Very interesting results if I chop and change the VPN location. Belgium was only 6Mbps and Germany was 28. Australia was around 26Mbps. Without the VPN I get around the 40 mark. Even at that, we should be able to add in one or two other devices whilst watching the football (maybe just the one ;)). So there could be a bit of work I can do with my ISP (TalkTalk).

Maybe I’ll try a speed test before selecting my VPN location next time.

Very interesting results if I chop and change the VPN location. Belgium was only 6Mbps and Germany was 28. Australia was around 26Mbps. Without the VPN I get around the 40 mark. Even at that, we should be able to add in one or two other devices whilst watching the football (maybe just the one ;)). So there could be a bit of work I can do with my ISP (TalkTalk).

Maybe I’ll try a speed test before selecting my VPN location next time.

Yeah, location is vital. Surprised at the Australian figure though, assuming you’re in the UK. I tend to use The Netherlands. Your post does highlight, for others, the dramatic effect your VPN can have on your line speed. And that’s with a good VPN, you can imagine how much worse it is with a cheap and nasty VPN.

With your VPN (PIA) they usually have a figure in milliseconds (ms) against each location. As a rule, the lower that figure the better speeds you will get.
You should still be fine with the speeds of 26 and 29 Mbps you quote. Send the wife and kids out whilst you watch to ensure you have sole use of the broadband.;)

However, taking the VPN out of the equation - and getting away from the RangersTV conundrum - you are only getting half your advertised speed. Certainly worth looking at your ISP regardless. I get well over 50Mbps on a line from BT that I think is advertised as 36-67Mbps.

Only issue I’m having with the App is navigation. It’s not the most intuitive system, I wish they’d just have a “live games” section, a “replay” section etc. They may already have this and i’m just not seeing it, I am getting old...

I just opened the app and the video for Arfield’s goal today is located right next to the replay for the whole game. Bit of a spoiler.

Last edited:
A minor gripe perhaps, but seems like on my trusty Ipad pro, it does not like landscape mode and will only work in portrait one. Watched game on Chrome and it was fine.

I haven’t used the app to watch a live game yet. I was back to my old tried and tested laptop to tv via HDMI yesterday. The stream was absolutely flawless throughout the entire match. Last week I couldn’t get my Samsung casting app to cast to my tv, hence the reason I was back to the old laptop. I tried the Samsung app yesterday again, just out of curiosity and it was working this week.
For those using a VPN - does your service have a function to search for the best server location at that particular moment? Mines has an ‘Optimum’ option that works pretty well, it was Düsseldorf yesterday. It’s maybe something worth looking at if there’s a big difference between servers.

I have just clicked the original link to download the app and the "install" button isn't there!

Just shows you the app a couple of user comments but no way to install

I have just clicked the original link to download the app and the "install" button isn't there!

Just shows you the app a couple of user comments but no way to install

Dunno what the Play Store shows but the Apple App Store shows 'Get' in order to download and install. After that you get either 'Launch' or 'Open' - and its looking exactly as it should this morning.

Try the usual, clear cache/cookies and try again.

EDIT: Actually doing it via the Apple link in the OP results, as you say, in no download button and a message that its only available via the App Store. Just go to the App Store and search for RangersTV and it works fine. The Play Store link in the OP still works and gives you an Install button.

They've done a Arfield section on the app which is cool. Only one with pass marks since winter break.

Looks like they might change that bit on the app regular.

Is the new app only for mobile devices?

I have installed it on my iPhone without any issues & used it to watch last nights match while at work.

I was also hoping to install it on my Nvidia Shield Android tv but can’t find the app on the google play store.

Since the well documented & not yet resolved PS4 widescreen issue, I’ve been using MacBook & Apple TV combo for watching games, was hoping the new app would mean less faffing about.

Last night was very interesting. I bought the BT Sport pass and streamed it through the MacBook and also tried it on my phone. Both with VPN turned on all the way through. Then cast to Apple TV. On both ’experiments’, the picture was perfect. Not one buffer.

So I’m happy with my internet speed, and also the PIA VPN.

I’m not sure where to go from here with RTV.

Back