Match Thread RTV - Rangers vs Wigan - Match thread

Wigan manager Paul Cook's post match words,really hope they enjoyed that big wee.

Wigan Athletic head coach Paul Cook has admitted to Wigan Today that they have a big wee ahead of them following their 3-0 pre-season friendly loss to Rangers.
The Latics ended their pre-season campaign in Scotland today as they travelled to Ibrox to face the Scottish giants Rangers. However instead of being the confidence boosting win they wanted, their last friendly ended up being a hefty loss. Despite an evan first-half, Rangers came out firing in the second half with Alfredo Morales, Nikola Katic and Sadiq Umar all scoring in an eight-minute spell to seal an impressive win for them.

For Cook, it has given him a lot to think about. They have a tough return to the Sky Bet Championship next week as they host Sheffield Wednesday and the manager has said that this is now a big week for all of the players in the squad as they must get better for that much.

He said: “I thought it was genuinely a game of two halves,”

“In the first half we looked good, strong, well organised, and I thought we would go on to win the game.”

“But then we have a mad 15-minute spell at the beginning of the second half, and full credit to them for that.”

“The game just got away from us, and Rangers are a very good side, very aggressive, and good value for the win.”

“We know we’re about to go up into a fantastic league, and we thought today would give us a good indication of where we are at the moment.”

“And on the back of a scoreline like that, it’s clear there’s a lot of work to be done.”

Great result and good run-out for the team. First half tended to show we lack quality in depth and whilst not overrun the midfield lacked guile. The second half was a major transformation and the midfield started to kick-in and take control. Wigan was a good measure of what to expect in the SPL and we came through the test quite well. Pleased for Morelos. Every goal counts in terms of confidence. Big save for Wes in terms of the penalty. Overall, another notch on the belt. Europe beckons.

Anyone know about any trouble after the game? Reported on Glasgow Gospel but video didnt run. Hope nothing serious

Anybody got an update on the injured trio of Rossiter,Dorrans and DJ.
I had hoped we'd see a little of DJ and GD today. Based on SGs comments recently they were nearing fitness and need games. They must be just a little short of playing still.

Rossiter will be a little longer and by the time he's match fit it'll probably be September.

I know yesterday was only a friendly but came away from the game actually thinking there's a team in there. Middleton was excellent, Goldson was faultless, Morelos on the scoresheet again, Ejaria looks promising. Katic & Sadiq on the goalsheet.

A few negatives, Flanagan being one-needs to gain some composure. Docherty frustrates me.

Roll on Thursday & then Sunday :)

I know yesterday was only a friendly but came away from the game actually thinking there's a team in there. Middleton was excellent, Goldson was faultless, Morelos on the scoresheet again, Ejaria looks promising. Katic & Sadiq on the goalsheet.

A few negatives, Flanagan being one-needs to gain some composure. Docherty frustrates me.

Roll on Thursday & then Sunday :)

Flanagan never played!

what was the fighting about after the match in the city centre?

Absolute wankers behaving like absolute wankers.
Honestly, on a day when the PAPErs are spinning the child abuse scandal to make it appear that we have a major role to play in it while celtc get away without so much as a mention, we have tossers who latch onto us giving the press ammo.
Brain dead fucking mutants.

The build up to that first goal was superb actually. Way better than I remembered at the time. Crisp, decisive passing to shift it Candeias

Absolute wankers behaving like absolute wankers.
Honestly, on a day when the PAPErs are spinning the child abuse scandal to make it appear that we have a major role to play in it while celtc get away without so much as a mention, we have tossers who latch onto us giving the press ammo.
Brain dead fucking mutants.

Last edited:
Back