RTV via BT

rupertdabear

right fellow bears ,simple answer for a techno dunce
I have bt infinity broadband and tv package through fibre
no sky ,not even a dish and don't want one as they are not getting my beer tokens
can I simply add rtv to my bt package in any way

and don't shoot me .when it comes to this stuff you'd find more sense from a chocolate mouse

My understanding is you can only stream RTV is that the case? Any time I have tried to watch a match on the RTV channel on the computer it was poor, constantly buffering. Might just be my BT broadband is crap.

no sky ,not even a dish and don't want one as they are not getting my beer tokens

and don't shoot me .when it comes to this stuff you'd find more sense from a chocolate mouse

RTV is a streaming service, not a tv package

Other options would be:

Connect a PC top your telly
Play RTV on your phone/tablet and cast it to the TV.

I have BT TV but I watch RTV via an Amazon Fire Stick.
so how does the fire stick work .is it wifi.
my router is in the office and a good bit away from the tele and despite buying extenders and things ,I had to eventually run an earthnet cable I think it was called all the way to the tv to stop it breaking up or stopping .real pain

so how does the fire stick work .is it wifi.
my router is in the office and a good bit away from the tele and despite buying extenders and things ,I had to eventually run an earthnet cable I think it was called all the way to the tv to stop it breaking up or stopping .real pain

Fire Stick works through wifi and it sounds like the current setup you have will struggle to stream Rangers TV using the Fire Stick method. Is the ethernet cable going directly into the TV? If so, the best option would be to log in to Rangers TV through the TV's internet browser and watch it that way.

The only way to know for sure if your TV will manage to stream is it test it out. If you can watch videos on Rangers TV then I'd assume you'd be able to watch the live matches.

Unfortunately the only way to truly tell is to test it, streaming directly through Smart TV won't work with every kind of TV. As far as I know Rangers TV now uses a format called 'HTML5' which most modern technology should be able to handle.

I've said 'TV' about 9 times now!!

No you will just need to watch the highlights at 10.30 Saturday or Sunday nights

Fire Stick works through wifi and it sounds like the current setup you have will struggle to stream Rangers TV using the Fire Stick method. Is the ethernet cable going directly into the TV? If so, the best option would be to log in to Rangers TV through the TV's internet browser and watch it that way.

The only way to know for sure if your TV will manage to stream is it test it out. If you can watch videos on Rangers TV then I'd assume you'd be able to watch the live matches.

Unfortunately the only way to truly tell is to test it, streaming directly through Smart TV won't work with every kind of TV. As far as I know Rangers TV now uses a format called 'HTML5' which most modern technology should be able to handle.

I've said 'TV' about 9 times now!!
right ,it seems a bit iffy then
I could invest in a bigger monitor for the office computer and watch that .would that work ok .
router is right beside it too .

I got it for my old man who’s overseas. Stream it via his computer and just run an HDMI to his telly and he’s easily getting 1080 quality with little or no buffering.

I got it for my old man who’s overseas. Stream it via his computer and just run an HDMI to his telly and he’s easily getting 1080 quality with little or no buffering.

Mirroring to your TV is a good option and if you’ve got the right set up it can be done wirelessly.

Only snag I can see in the immediate future is that RTV demand is gonna rocket and the service can’t cope? ? ?

right ,it seems a bit iffy then
I could invest in a bigger monitor for the office computer and watch that .would that work ok .
router is right beside it too .

Unfortunately there isn't a standard for Smart TVs so it makes it a bit of a pain. If they all supported HTML5 then there wouldn't be a problem but it's just a 50/50 chance your TV will support it. If it's new-ish (maybe within the last 3-4 years) then it should.

Getting a bigger monitor for your PC is a decent idea as it'll definitely work. The cheaper option as @the bridge mentioned would be to get a long HDMI cable going from your PC to your TV (which you can pull out when you're finished watching the match) as that will work just like a monitor and it should be cheaper.

When you connect the TV with the HDMI to your computer the screen should show on your TV. The problem is finding a long enough HDMI cable but you should be OK, you should find 50ft+ cables
fairly easily.

I really wish RTV would go back as a channel we could actually access on Sky. So many people have probs with the streaming and it's hopeless for technophobe old guys like me. Most of the above posts would be just as understandable to me if they were in Chinese!

Unfortunately there isn't a standard for Smart TVs so it makes it a bit of a pain. If they all supported HTML5 then there wouldn't be a problem but it's just a 50/50 chance your TV will support it. If it's new-ish (maybe within the last 3-4 years) then it should.

Getting a bigger monitor for your PC is a decent idea as it'll definitely work. The cheaper option as @the bridge mentioned would be to get a long HDMI cable going from your PC to your TV (which you can pull out when you're finished watching the match) as that will work just like a monitor and it should be cheaper.

When you connect the TV with the HDMI to your computer the screen should show on your TV. The problem is finding a long enough HDMI cable but you should be OK, you should find 50ft+ cables
fairly easily.

cable not an option mate.that earthnet one I had to pull in to the tv was nearly 30 mtr s .
bigger monitor it is ,been thinking about one anyhow.
thanks to all for the advise

so I should be able to bring it into my smart tv then through the internet ,is that the basis of it .
The easiest way I have found is to use a TV Cast app. I was a technical Luddite at this stuff about 18 months ago but got determined that I wanted to watch the Rangers games.
You download the TV Cast app for your particular brand of TV (mine is Samsung) on your phone and on your TV in the respective App stores on the phone and the tele..
Watch a YouTube video for instructions on how to download both and sync them.
You can then put the www.rangers.tv url into the TV Cast app on your phone and follow the instructions.
You can make it easier by paying a little bit in the app to get rid of the ads but I’ve managed to work my way around that.
After some faffing about in the first place, once you get used to it it’s quite easy.
You will also need a VPN if you want to watch the games broadcast on the Sky in the UK as they will be blocked on RTV in the UK.

The easiest way I have found is to use a TV Cast app. I was a technical Luddite at this stuff about 18 months ago but got determined that I wanted to watch the Rangers games.
You download the TV Cast app for your particular brand of TV (mine is Samsung) on your phone and on your TV in the respective App stores on the phone and the tele..
Watch a YouTube video for instructions on how to download both and sync them.
You can then put the www.Rangers.tv url into the TV Cast app on your phone and follow the instructions.
You can make it easier by paying a little bit in the app to get rid of the ads but I’ve managed to work my way around that.
After some faffing about in the first place, once you get used to it it’s quite easy.
You will also need a VPN if you want to watch the games broadcast on the Sky in the UK as they will be blocked on RTV in the UK.
i'll keep that in mind but as I said ,this tech stuff is just not my thing and my phone is a nokia 206...enough said .smart phone sitting here looking at me as well but can't be bothered with it and would last all of 4 hours on the building site.maybe get my bro to do it .
he's very clued up and tells me I can't do anything wrong …...really :)) i'd have the whole computer wiped clean if I started

I think we're missing out on a massive amount of revenue by not having an actual TV channel. I don't think it should be that difficult as Man Utd,Liverpool and Chelsea all have subscription TV channels.

I was using my phone to cast RangersTV to my tv using Apple TV after a few initial problems with buffering everything seemed to work well, it’s worth putting in the time to see what works best for you but worth it, before the games stopped I was having no trouble at all watching the games.

No and unlikely to happen.

Back