RTV/VST Viewers - Tips and Help - Updated With App Info

Valley Bluenose

RTV? Completed it mate!
Now we've heard our stellar line-up I thought I'd get a thread started in the build up to the St Mirren game for those on the virtual season ticket package. Let's try and keep it to that as there are plenty other threads for the 'real' RangersTV.

In todays announcement the club have stressed that those who haven't redeemed their Access Code should do so as soon as possible and suggested that those who have already done so might want to check out the test stream to establish early doors if things are going to work for them.

TIP 1 - Password Errors/Unable to Login. I've seen a load of folk say they can't login and keep getting a message that their email or password is incorrect. The two input boxes for your email and password will automatically capitalise the first letter of each - if you are using a mobile device. It doesn't matter for your email but it is critical for your password. If the first letter of your password is lowercase then it will automatically be changed to upper case unless you turn off the caps lock key. If you don't correct that you will get the error message and be unable to login. It might be that as a result you have setup you account with a password that has a capital letter as the first letter when you thought you were setting it up with a lowercase letter. Or you might have set it up as you intended, with a lowercase letter, but when you subsequently try to login it is defaulting to the uppercase letter and you are not noticing. If you watch as you type you, very briefly, get to see what you have typed in - check it's the right upper/lowercase letter that you intended. If it doesn't work with one then try it with the other - but only once. This isn't peculiar to Rangers its very common on many sites. You should not have the same problem on a desktop/laptop, just on mobile devices. Its a setting on the device and nothing to do with the webpage (thank you @GranvillusClutterbuckus at post #34). If you are still having problems with your Account then these are the guys to email, as it's only them who can help (EDIT: Some later posts suggest if you get an Account Blocked message you can get around it by requesting a Password Reset rather than contacting Support):

rangerstvsupport@streamamg.com

How To Redeem Your Access Code - Only Applies If You Haven't Done So Already

Tip 2 - Access Codes.
If you are a new Rangers season ticket holder then, firstly, congratulations. Secondly you need to make sure you get your Access Code from the Ticket Office. If you haven't had it then email them on: ticketcentre@rangers.co.uk.
Though they are, obviously, very busy right now with season tickets.

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A RANGERSTV ACCOUNT
  • You must be signed in before redeeming voucher and your voucher will only be able to be used once.
  • Once logged in, go to the link below and redeem.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A RANGERSTV ACCOUNT YET
  • Go directly to the link below and redeem, then you can create an account as part of that redemption flow
  • Please ensure you have redeemed well in advance of kick off to avoid any issues accessing, you will only need to redeem the voucher once to be used for all matches behind closed doors.

Checking Your Account Has Set Up Properly and Your Code Has Been Redeemed

Some folk are still struggling with this ‘two webpages’ concept and that’s understandable.

If you want to check that you have set up your Account correctly and that the Access Code has been redeemed against your Account you need to go to the RangersTV website (see link below). If you login there, then go to Account you should see something to the effect 'season ticket package - expires 21 Jul 2021'. If you do, then that part of the process has worked. No additional codes are necessary, the original one is valid throughout the season or until we return. Make sure you Logout fully, sometimes the site is a bit flaky at logging you out.

https://tv.Rangers.co.uk/

After you’ve done that you don’t need to go near the RangersTV page again. Please note that your VST package does NOT give you access to regular RangersTV content, only the matchday experience.

UPDATE: Rangers email of 7 Aug says the test stream, and the live match, can now be viewed using the RangersTV App. This is great news. See post #128 for more info. If that works you don't need to follow the images below. Note: There is NO access for VST viewers to see other stuff. They ONLY get the matchday coverage. You also still need to redeem your code via the website - not the App - if you haven’t done so already.

Accessing the live.Rangers.co.uk Website Test Stream

You need to go to the ‘live’ page where the match will be streamed and then follow the step-by-step walkthrough shown in pictures on the Official website. I have lifted the images from that guide and they are shown below. You should be able to do that and view the test video by clicking on 'Watch Now' next to the St Mirren match. Note the Tip about passwords above though.

https://live.Rangers.co.uk/

Tip 3 - Access Codes. You only need to redeem your Access Code once. It is valid throughout the season and does not need to be entered for every match.

Most report success at this stage - provided they are not using an Apple device (unless StreamAMG have solved that problem in the interim, but I haven't heard anything to that effect).

SmartTV browsers are notoriously poor and it really is hit-or-miss whether you will get it to work. That's down to the tv manufacturer. They are not listed as compatible devices by RangersTV.

From what I've read on other threads, it will work with Firesticks (see post #139 for some useful info about getting the RangersTV App on a Firestick), PS4 and XBox using the browser. Its not my area though, but other will advise if asked.

Tip 4 - Apple Devices/Browsers. Many have found that they have issues on Apple devices, though a few posts later in this thread reference success with Safari browser so that may be changing. Some report success by downloading and using the Chrome App to access the live.rangers.co.uk webpage. Worth a try if you are struggling.

Tip 5 - Apple Devices/Cross Site Tracking. Another tip that those with Apple devices have found sometimes works is to turn off 'Prevent Cross Site Tracking'. Go to Settings-Safari and turn off ‘Prevent Cross Site Tracking’. Works for some, doesn’t work for others. Turn it back on if it doesn’t help you.

If anybody has any other tips they've found that work, post them and I will add them to the OP.

Hopefully @Greg Marshall will keep an eye on this thread and relay any major issues back to StreamAMG for resolution as well.

Finally, whilst there are plenty on her happy to help and advise, the proper channel for support queries is: rangerstvsupport@streamamg.com

Last edited:
I’m still unable to get the VST stream to work on fire stick, tried both silk and Firefox browsers.

Normal RTV works fine.

Not something I'm familiar with mate but, in general, Firestick with Silk is what I recall seeing posted on here.

In terms of browsers in general though, not specifically Firestick, Chrome and Edge seem to be the ones that cope best. Edge is just a rebranded Chrome these days in any case - they are much the same under the hood. Could try either - but maybe best waiting for a Firestick user to come on and advise.

Are you able to watch the game on an android phone.

Been lots of issues with Apple devices despite what it says below. Android should be fine if its up-to-date. Chrome seems best bet browser-wise. Why not follow the OP and check-out the test stream. Simples!

From system requirements in the FAQ:

Mobiles & Tablets Operating Systems: Android 6+, iOS 9+ *some OS may still not be supported by manufacturer

Can confirm it does not work on Safari on iPad but switch to chrome browser and it does.

I've also not been able to successfully cast from ipad to appletv. This might be due to a relatively old Smart TV (2014) model.

Screen mirroring over wifi does work, but resulting picture is not full screen. So have resorted to old method of connecting iPad to TV with lightning to HDMI adapter and it works fine.

Can confirm it does not work on Safari on iPad but switch to chrome browser and it does.

I've also not been able to successfully cast from ipad to appletv. This might be due to a relatively old Smart TV (2014) model.

Screen mirroring over wifi does work, but resulting picture is not full screen. So have resorted to old method of connecting iPad to TV with lightning to HDMI adapter and it works fine.

Assuming you've tried that with Safari this week then its a bit of a bummer that there's still issues on Apple devices.:( Did you try Tip 5 by any chance?

Assuming you've tried that with Safari this week then its a bit of a bummer that there's still issues on Apple devices.:( Did you try Tip 5 by any chance?

I just used Chrome and vpn for the game yesterday, so haven't tried Safari since the friendlies. I will check the cross site tracking thing for this weekend and see it it fixes it.

I'm not sure if maybe Safari works on the normal tv.rangers.co.uk site but not the live.rangers.co.uk which i'm assuming will be the one for the PPV home games

I just used Chrome and vpn for the game yesterday, so haven't tried Safari since the friendlies. I will check the cross site tracking thing for this weekend and see it it fixes it.

I'm not sure if maybe Safari works on the normal tv.Rangers.co.uk site but not the live.Rangers.co.uk which i'm assuming will be the one for the PPV home games

Yeah Apple devices have no issues on the 'real' RangersTV site (apart from casting to Apple TV seemingly) but the live.rangers.co.uk website has been an issue from the start.

Thanks for clarifying that you haven't tried with Safari this week though. I can cling onto the hope that they might have addressed some of the issues - for now.

Great stuff valley bluenose. I couldn’t get it to work at all using safari on my iPhone for the last few games. Went to log in out of curiosity and it’s working ! Maybe the problem has been fixed for safari.

Now we've heard our stellar line-up I thought I'd get a thread started in the build up to the St Mirren game for those on the virtual season ticket package. Let's try and keep it to that as there are plenty other threads for the 'real' RangersTV.

In todays announcement the club have stressed that those who haven't redeemed their Access Code should do so as soon as possible and suggested that those who have already done so might want to check out the test stream to establish early doors if things are going to work for them.

TIP 1 - Password Errors/Unable to Login. I've seen a load of folk say they can't login and keep getting a message that their email or password is incorrect. The two input boxes for your email and password will automatically capitalise the first letter of each. It doesn't matter for your email but it is critical for your password. If the first letter of your password is lowercase then it will automatically be changed to upper case unless you turn off the caps lock key. If you don't correct that you will get the error message and be unable to login. It might be that as a result you have setup you account with a password that has a capital letter as the first letter when you thought you were setting it up with a lowercase letter. Or you might have set it up as you intended, with a lowercase letter, but when you subsequently try to login it is defaulting to the uppercase letter and you are not noticing. If you watch as you type you, very briefly, get to see what you have typed in - check it's the right upper/lowercase letter that you intended. If it doesn't work with one then try it with the other - but only once. This isn't peculiar to Rangers its very common on many sites. If you are still having problems with your Account then these are the guys to email, as it's only them who can help:

How To Redeem Your Access Code - Only Applies If You Haven't Done So Already

Tip 2 - Access Codes.
If you are a new Rangers season ticket holder then, firstly, congratulations. Secondly you need to make sure you get your Access Code from the Ticket Office. If you haven't had it then email them on: ticketcentre@Rangers.co.uk.
Though they are, obviously, very busy right now with season tickets.

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A RANGERSTV ACCOUNT
  • You must be signed in before redeeming voucher and your voucher will only be able to be used once.
  • Once logged in, go to the link below and redeem.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A RANGERSTV ACCOUNT YET
  • Go directly to the link below and redeem, then you can create an account as part of that redemption flow
  • Please ensure you have redeemed well in advance of kick off to avoid any issues accessing, you will only need to redeem the voucher once to be used for all matches behind closed doors.

Checking Your Account Has Set Up Properly and Your Code Has Been Redeemed

Some folk are still struggling with this ‘two webpages’ concept and that’s understandable.

If you want to check that you have set up your Account correctly and that the Access Code has been redeemed against your Account you need to go to the RangersTV website (see link below). If you login there, then go to Account you should see something to the effect 'season ticket package - expires 21 Jul 2021'. If you do, then that part of the process has worked. No additional codes are necessary, the original one is valid throughout the season or until we return. Make sure you Logout fully, sometimes the site is a bit flaky at logging you out.

https://tv.Rangers.co.uk/

After you’ve done that you don’t need to go near the RangersTV page again.

Accessing the live.Rangers.co.uk Website Test Stream

You need to go to the ‘live’ page where the match will be streamed and then follow the step-by-step walkthrough shown in pictures on the Official website. I have lifted the images from that guide and they are shown below. You should be able to do that and view the test video by clicking on 'Watch Now' next to the St Mirren match. Note the Tip about passwords above though.

https://live.Rangers.co.uk/

Tip 3 - Access Codes. You only need to redeem your Access Code once. It is valid throughout the season and does not need to be entered for every match.

Most report success at this stage - provided they are not using an Apple device (unless StreamAMG have solved that problem in the interim, but I haven't heard anything to that effect).

SmartTV browsers are notoriously poor and it really is hit-or-miss whether you will get it to work. That's down to the tv manufacturer. They are not listed as compatible devices by RangersTV.

From what I've read on other threads, it will work with Firesticks, PS4 and XBox using the browser. Its not my area though, but other will advise if asked.

Tip 4 - Apple Devices/Browsers. Many have found that they have issues on Apple devices. Some report success by downloading and using the Chrome App to access the live.Rangers.co.uk webpage. Worth a try if you are struggling.

Tip 5 - Apple Devices/Cross Site Tracking. Another tip that those with Apple devices have found sometimes works is to turn off 'Prevent Cross Site Tracking'. Go to Settings-Safari and turn off ‘Prevent Cross Site Tracking’. Works for some, doesn’t work for others. Turn it back on if it doesn’t help you.

If anybody has any other tips they've found that work, post them and I will add them to the OP.

Hopefully @Greg Marshall will keep an eye on this thread and relay any major issues back to StreamAMG for resolution as well.

Finally, whilst there are plenty on her happy to help and advise, the proper channel for support queries is: rangerstvsupport@streamamg.com
Brilliant OP, thanks for that. I haven’t been able to watch any of the games so far, though my access code has been “redeemed”!!
The more than one website is confusing. Can’t help but think the club have made it difficult for themselves. Have one site with a link to all the services...shop, TV, tickets etc. Makes sense to me

Brilliant OP, thanks for that. I haven’t been able to watch any of the games so far, though my access code has been “redeemed”!!
The more than one website is confusing. Can’t help but think the club have made it difficult for themselves. Have one site with a link to all the services...shop, TV, tickets etc. Makes sense to me

Apple device? I suggest working through the OP to first verify your account is setup and the code properly redeemed. Then try accessing the test stream. If you are getting no joy then try a different browser, such as Chrome.

Separate websites seems to be how most clubs have gone. No idea why, but that suggests there is a good reason for it, perhaps contractual. I dunno.

Last edited:
Excellent post @Valley Bluenose, have bookmarked this to my home screen on my phone. Have been able to watch the VST games without a problem, using tried and tested method, laptop connected to TV using hdmi cable.

Purchased a USB-C to HDMI Cable in the hope I could connect from my mobile to TV or monitor, but unfortunately the Xperia 10 plus is not compatible. Some people may be interested in exploring this option, would recommend going to Amazon and type in a question asking if your device is compatible. The cable is from uniAccessories, got an answer the next day, wish I had done that before buying. Was exploring this option as my work laptop will not allow me to run NORDVPN.

@Valley Bluenose I have 3 season tickets, 1 for me & 2 for the kids. I have set up my own VST without any problems, where I'm having bother is when I try to register the 2 kids VST's as I'm trying to use my email address because of their ages & it's saying there is already an account with this email address i.e. mine. Is there any way around this so I can use my email address for all 3 accounts or do I need to use different email addresses for each account?

@Valley Bluenose I have 3 season tickets, 1 for me & 2 for the kids. I have set up my own VST without any problems, where I'm having bother is when I try to register the 2 kids VST's as I'm trying to use my email address because of their ages & it's saying there is already an account with this email address i.e. mine. Is there any way around this so I can use my email address for all 3 accounts or do I need to use different email addresses for each account?

Each Access Code needs an individual email address and password mate. No way around that if you all intend watching on different devices. Get them a free outlook.com (formerly Hotmail) address if they don't have an email of their own already. They can keep it into adulthood and just change their passwords to keep you out of it. That will allow you to register an Account on RangersTV for them.

Bought a Chromecast to hopefully cast from my phone to TV, any issues I should know about?
I’ve not been able to get this to work so far mate.

The player in the live.rangers link doesn’t seem to support Chromecast (the app does but you can’t access the VST from the app).

You could try downloading a third party app for your phone which allows you to cast but I’ve always found them a bit hit and miss.

Casting from Chrome bowser from the laptop to Chromecast has been absolutely fine for me so far if that’s a option for you.

Each Access Code needs an individual email address and password mate. No way around that if you all intend watching on different devices. Get them a free outlook.com (formerly Hotmail) address if they don't have an email of their own already. They can keep it into adulthood and just change their passwords to keep you out of it. That will allow you to register an Account on RangersTV for them.

Thanks mate, I'll do that. Just wanted to know if there was a work around first.

Good summary of useful info, thanks.

I genuinely astonished they still haven't corrected this.
It is unbelievably amateur and should take minutes to fix.

To be honest I've found the same on other websites - its not exclusive to RangersTV mate. Would help if they had the wee eye icon to let you see your password.

The player in the live.Rangers link doesn’t seem to support Chromecast (the app does but you can’t access the VST from the app).

You could try downloading a third party app for your phone which allows you to cast but I’ve always found them a bit hit and miss.

Casting from Chrome bowser from the laptop to Chromecast has been absolutely fine for me so far if that’s a option for you.

Possibly not related but I saw some Dhims on Kerrydale moaning about not being able to use Chromecast if they were streaming from an Apple device. They contacted support and were told it was a 'known issue' between Apple and Google. They were advised to Google for a workaround LOL.

The player in the live.Rangers link doesn’t seem to support Chromecast (the app does but you can’t access the VST from the app).

Cheers - using Android so fingers crossed it is more of an Apple issue.

I can’t get the app on an Apple device to cast to Apple TV which is why the brought out the app in the 1st place I thought. It’s very poor for how much I pay for it.

To be honest I've found the same on other websites - its not exclusive to RangersTV mate.
Any website that's been up for more than a week, and still has a password field that defaults to capitalising the first letter, has been coded by developers who are either extremely lazy or not very good.
Would help if they had the wee eye icon to let you see your password.
Or they could just sort the password field. :))

Any website that's been up for more than a week, and still has a password field that defaults to capitalising the first letter, has been coded by developers who are either extremely lazy or not very good.

Or they could just sort the password field. :))

And get the single login across all Rangers sites sorted at the same time. :) I notice the Rangers Account login for buying tickets, for example, doesn't have the auto-capitalisation.

And get the single login across all Rangers sites sorted at the same time. :) I notice the Rangers Account login for buying tickets, for example, doesn't have the auto-capitalisation.
Exactly this. The recent relaunch of the website was the perfect opportunity to sort all of that out. Single sign on across all Rangers platforms would have eliminated 90% of the VST problems before they arose. It's a wee bit more complex than implementing a proper password field but shouldn't have been too much to ask. Whoever is in charge of the web operations needs a boot up the erchie and some training (or replaced). :))

To be honest I've found the same on other websites - its not exclusive to RangersTV mate. Would help if they had the wee eye icon to let you see your password.
It's restricted to mobile devices, however. Usually it's because of a keyboard setting on the device itself, not the web page.

e.g. On IOS devices, check whether or not you have automatic-capitalization enabled.

Settings>>Keyboards>>All Keyboards>>Auto-Capitalisation

It's restricted to mobile devices, however. Usually it's because of a keyboard setting on the device itself, not the web page.

e.g. On IOS devices, check whether or not you have automatic-capitalization enabled.

Settings>>Keyboards>>All Keyboards>>Auto-Capitalisation

You are absolutely correct. Just checked on desktop using Edge and there's no auto-capitalisation but it does auto-capitalise on iPad and iPhone.

Good spot. Thank you. I will edit the OP to that effect - and will even give you a wee credit/mention:).

No option for test stream on there for me. I didn't get to redeem a code until after the Coventry game, so the only matches there for me are future games.

Hopefully get the option to test it before game day, just so I can decide what the best setup is.

You are absolutely correct. Just checked on desktop using Edge and there's no auto-capitalisation but it does auto-capitalise on iPad and iPhone.

Good spot. Thank you. I will edit the OP to that effect - and will even give you a wee credit/mention:).
Good to know the web devs aren't quite as useless as first thought. :))

No option for test stream on there for me. I didn't get to redeem a code until after the Coventry game, so the only matches there for me are future games.

Hopefully get the option to test it before game day, just so I can decide what the best setup is.

You are visiting: https://live.rangers.co.uk/ aren't you?

The Club's news release today says the test stream should be on there to test. If you don't see it (I can't check for myself) then I'd suggest going through the process in the OP to check your code is correctly redeemed against you RangersTV Account as a first step.

After failing on IPad I used Edge on laptop, went through the instructions above but still was not able to access the trial video. Again asked for code which then said already used.
Third game coming up and still a shambles

Thanks again VB I managed to watch the Coventry game without any issues and hopefully the St Mirren game goes to plan with increased traffic on our servers.

Nice one mate and thanks for your time.

After failing on IPad I used Edge on laptop, went through the instructions above but still was not able to access the trial video. Again asked for code which then said already used.
Third game coming up and still a shambles

Need a bit more info. Are you saying you’ve checked the RangersTV website and it lets you login and it shows that you’ve redeemed the code (season ticket package - expires 21 Jul 2021)? If so, that’s good.

When you then move on to the live.rangers.co.uk website do you get logged in (the stripes behind the wee man icon in the top right - as per Steps 3a and 3b)?

Need a bit more info. Are you saying you’ve checked the RangersTV website and it lets you login and it shows that you’ve redeemed the code (season ticket package - expires 21 Jul 2021)? If so, that’s good.

When you then move on to the live.Rangers.co.uk website do you get logged in (the stripes behind the wee man icon in the top right - as per Steps 3a and 3b)?
Yes followed your Steps but when got match page the option to view test video next St Mirren match
My account showed I had I had redeemed the code.
When I tried later on my IPad it would not let me log in and said my account was locked.
Wondered if the RTV had not logged me out.

Great post! Still a frustration that the Safari issues with Apple don't appear to have been resolved

Yes followed your Steps but when got match page the option to view test video next St Mirren match
My account showed I had I had redeemed the code.
When I tried later on my IPad it would not let me log in and said my account was locked.
Wondered if the RTV had not logged me out.

Damn!

Logging out is always an issue for me, so I guess it could be that if you were logged in on two devices. Seems to be triggering that ‘Lock’ now, whereas it didn’t in the past. That’s going to require an email to:

Or, some have reported getting around it by requesting a password reset. Can’t guarantee that will work though.

You did see the three stripes behind the wee man logo on then’live’ website then? Hopefully you did. If so, then you’ve now got me doubting whether the promised test video stream is actually running.

Anybody else able to tell us if the test video is running on:

Massive well done to @Valley Bluenose for this. Really good info that should help most out.

Ive still been emailing back and forward with the RTV IT guys as still having issues. Essentially regardless of the browser I use on my iPhone I’m still unable to watch/launch a test stream. I’m 100% logged in (3 stripes in top right corner) and my code is 100% redeemed (can see it on the account) but still the only options are still buy match pass or subscribe to RTV!

todays email from the IT at Rangers was to try the following linkhttps://live.rangers.co.uk/live but that’s the same as the original

Damn!

Logging out is always an issue for me, so I guess it could be that if you were logged in on two devices. Seems to be triggering that ‘Lock’ now, whereas it didn’t in the past. That’s going to require an email to:

You did see the three stripes behind the wee man logo on then’live’ website then? Hopefully you did. If so, then you’ve now got me doubting whether the promised test video stream is actually running.

Anybody else able to tell us if the test video is running on:

Just checked and just comes up as purchased next to the St Mirren game so doesn't look as though the test stream is running.

Massive well done to @Valley Bluenose for this. Really good info that should help most out.

Ive still been emailing back and forward with the RTV IT guys as still having issues. Essentially regardless of the browser I use on my iPhone I’m still unable to watch/launch a test stream. I’m 100% logged in (3 stripes in top right corner) and my code is 100% redeemed (can see it on the account) but still the only options are still buy match pass or subscribe to RTV!

todays email from the IT at Rangers was to try the following linkhttps://live.Rangers.co.uk/live but that’s the same as the original

Did they confirm that the test video is actually meant to be running mate?

EDIT: Just seen @strathavenbear post above. It would appear not, despite the Clubs news release.

Help @Greg Marshall can you please get the test stream running for us again or this thread is a waste of time and effort. Clubs news release tells folk to go try the test stream mate.

Back