Rumours Round-up

The Gerrard rumor is the most ridiculous. Why would he leave his role at Liverpool to come up here and be Neil Warnock's assistant? :D
My boss in work has just told me Gerard has agreed to come to rangers. His pals cousin is friends with his agent and he's seen the WhatsApp message between them. No idea if it's true just posting. If true, its a ridiculous appointment.

If we are playing with one man up top we need our two wide players to be chipping in with 30 goals between them and someone up top hitting 20-30.

I'm not sure Morelos and Candeias could chip in with these types of numbers.

Candeias is a cracking squad player though but I think we need a better player for the right hand side going forward. Arfield could be that man.

I agree with this. We need a midfielder playing wider but not as a winger. Arfield could do this.

You mean the same full-backs/wingers that have contributed to us being the best scoring side in the league?

Yes the same ones that cause our defence to get pulled all over the shop, the same players who are constantly out of position.
The same players who because they are playing results in us having only 2 in midfield who get out thought and swamped by other teams playing 3 and 4 in the middle.
The same players who have in this season seen us with our worst home performances in about 100 years.

Yes the same ones that cause our defence to get pulled all over the shop, the same players who are constantly out of position.
The same players who because they are playing results in us having only 2 in midfield who get out thought and swamped by other teams playing 3 and 4 in the middle.
The same players who have in this season seen us with our worst home performances in about 100 years.

The wingers and fullbacks are the least of our problems. The spine of the team keeps changing its the centre halves and midfielders we're lacking - by midfielders a mean natural holding midfielders and ball winners.

Wingers don't result in us having 2 in midfield - 2 strikers means that.

You're getting caught up with the term players, when you slated the wingers/full backs - thats who i'm defending.

Bit harsh.

He's either been player out of position or injured. But a fit Dorrans is the best player we currently have at Rangers.

I cant excuse a player from doing the basics because he is supposed to be out of position.

Many thought we where getting this dorrans in this video below where he seems to skin folk for fun, nutmegs, free kicks etc in the top corner but im afraid he is no longer this type of player, i would love to be wrong becaus ei was buzzing when we signed him but i hadnt seen much of him the past 2 years and thought we where getting similar to below.

Mcgregor
Tavernier Bartley Bamba John
Mcrorie
Candeias Davis Arfield Murphy
Morelos​

Subs: Wes, CH, Rossiter, Jack, Docherty, Dorrans, Windass, Cummings
That team would win the league, if they 19 kept fit for the full season

A team that could potentially win the league.
I would differ on Morelos up front.

IMO although he is a great team player as a striker he misses too many clear cut chances to lead a championship team.

I’m a fan of Cummings. He may be able to alter his game in the build up play and he’s much more clinical than Morelos in and around the goalmouth.

My boss in work has just told me Gerard has agreed to come to rangers. His pals cousin is friends with his agent and he's seen the WhatsApp message between them. No idea if it's true just posting. If true, its a ridiculous appointment.
As assistant mate or as manager?

Wrong !!! It was an SMS text message !!

:D

The wingers and fullbacks are the least of our problems. The spine of the team keeps changing its the centre halves and midfielders we're lacking - by midfielders a mean natural holding midfielders and ball winners.

Wingers don't result in us having 2 in midfield - 2 strikers means that.

You're getting caught up with the term players, when you slated the wingers/full backs - thats who i'm defending.

Doesn’t matter who the CHs are if your wide players consistently give possession away and are out of position also.
The defence has no cover from midfield and nobody tracks midfield runners.

Walter never played two attacking full backs , one was always a solid defender like Papac. He never used 2 wingers who don’t help with the defensive duties like midfielders are expected to.
He always used 1 winger and a midfielder who could play wide.

Keep this same formation and same full backs and wingers we will never get near Celtic.

Last edited:
Dorrans has lost some of his legs and energy but he's a quality footballer with a cracking football brain. He won't be box to box anymore but he's got the quality and football brain to boss games from a deep position, we need to just get the right players and quality around him.

Brown has adapted his game a lot in recent years as well. There's no reason a good manager and a better standard of player around Dorrans can't get him to flourish.

Dorrans played as a holding midfielder for Norwich and he was excellent for them.

Doesn’t matter who the CHs are if your wide players consistently give possession away and are out of position also.
The defence has no cover from midfield and nobody tracks midfield runners.

Walter never played two attacking full backs , one was always a solid defender like Papac. He never used 2 wingers who don’t help with the defensive duties like midfielders are expected to.
He always used 1 winger and a midfielder who could play wide.

Keep this same formation and same full backs and wingers we will never get near Celtic.

So you're telling me Candeias doesn't assist in defending? I've seen Murphy on plenty occasions falling back into position to cover. Have you actually watched Rangers this season.

Let me put it simply, at this precise moment in time we have no other full backs that can play, nor do we have any natural holding defensively minded midfielders. Our CH's lack mobility and physicality at times and therefore are exposed when we press as they cannot adopt a high line. The game nowadays is all about attacking fullbacks.

A holding midfielder covers the run of an attacking full back or in cases a midfielder should.

The personnel we have in terms of wingers/full backs is fine, we could so with some more but its not they are not the issue.

The full backs and wingers are not the problem.

No to lafferty and wouldn’t have McCrorie at Cb Warnock manager yes Stevie G assistant yes but I think that would mean most of those players wouldn’t be near the team it’s as the Op says speculation and rumour and we,d be nowhere near winning the league I think people forget the scum will strengthen their squad we’ll not be up against the same side as this season

Bamba isn’t good enough. Prone to total clangers like Celtic’s CH. Go watch Cardiff’s last match for proof.
One of the full backs needs changed for a more defensive fullback and I would only play 1 winger.
I would have 2 solid creative midfielders, 1 midfielder who can play wide if needed and one winger.

Would change to 2 strikers for some games also.
Arfield would be the wide mid.

So you're telling me Candeias doesn't assist in defending? I've seen Murphy on plenty occasions falling back into position to cover. Have you actually watched Rangers this season.

Let me put it simply, at this precise moment in time we have no other full backs that can play, nor do we have any natural holding defensively minded midfielders. Our CH's lack mobility and physicality at times and therefore are exposed when we press as they cannot adopt a high line. The game nowadays is all about attacking fullbacks.

A holding midfielder covers the run of an attacking full back or in cases a midfielder should.

The personnel we have in terms of wingers/full backs is fine, we could so with some more but its not they are not the issue.

Correct

The old aunties neighbour at butlins ayr in 1990s cousins son told me number lol classic.

Rangers is exactly the job guys like Lampard and Gerrard want to break into management.

Doesn't make it right but profile is massively important to these guys.

Oh I have.

Our issues are many

One of the main ones is accommodating playing 2 wingers at the expense of our midfield and under this formation at the expense of a defensive midfielder which we do not play.

Candieas in particular doesn’t do enough defensively and loses possession too frequently and it results in teams hitting us with quick counters where the fullbacks are too high up the pitch and the defence gets pulled all over the place.

When we play anyone decent our 2 man midfield every time gets over run and they offer nothing creatively or defensively due to this.

We will continue to struggle to fight for 2nd if we play this formation and same players.
It doesn’t matter whether we play experienced defenders or young and pacy they will continue to look poor in this system.

if warnock is the manager we will be signing another left back i would imagine as he binned john at cardiff - which i would be happy with, would prefer a papac type defender one side if you have tav on the other, strong and hard, help out at corners etc

A work of pure fiction of course but I'd be very happy if the squad resembled something like this next season:-

McGregor - Alnwick - Wright/McAdams (Kelly and McCrorie loaned out to Championship clubs)

Tav - Naismith(Ross county)

John - Wallace

Bartley(Swansea) - Cardoso

Bjellend(Brentford) - A.Wilson

McCrorie - Jack

McArthur(C.Palace) - Docherty

Arfield(Burnley) - Rossiter

Dorrans - Windass

Candieas - Jones(Kilmarnock)

Murphy - Middleton

Morelos - Cummings - Lafferty(Hearts)

Oh I have.

Our issues are many

One of the main ones is accommodating playing 2 wingers at the expense of our midfield and under this formation at the expense of a defensive midfielder which we do not play.

Candieas in particular doesn’t do enough defensively and loses possession too frequently and it results in teams hitting us with quick counters where the fullbacks are too high up the pitch and the defence gets pulled all over the place.

When we play anyone decent our 2 man midfield every time gets over run and they offer nothing creatively or defensively due to this.

We will continue to struggle to fight for 2nd if we play this formation and same players.
It doesn’t matter whether we play experienced defenders or young and pacy they will continue to look poor in this system.

The wingers provide enough defensive cover. We play a makeshift CF in Windass who is inexperienced in the press sometimes and doesnt track back enough. We play, currently, two forward thinking midfielders in behind Windass and Morelos.

Candeias and Tav down the right have been excellent this season in compacting the right hand side. Both commit and press effectively the majority of the time. I'm sorry but your comments on Candeias performances in a defensive respect are nonsense.

I'll say it until im blue in the face. The lack of mobility/physicality at centre half means we can't play a high line and the formation we play just now requires just that, especially when we play against teams who sit deep. A defensive midfielder covers the gaps either side when a winger/full back presses on to overlap or dovetail and works on ball retention and restarting the play.

You are stuck in the past if you think we should actually play a player that far out of position to accomodate 2 up front. If we want more cover in the middle play another midfielder rather than a striker, not sacrifice a winger for a midfielder.

Don't hit me with the Walter did it line again. Walter in big games played players who had commitment and passion, on numerous occasions he'd play naismith, lafferty or even davis out wide and none of them are defensive so that invalidates the "Walter did it". Plus a lot of the time we'd play a certain way due to injuries.

There is not one holding midfielder fit at Rangers just now, that and the lack of mobile/competent centre halves is the problem.

My hopeful squad in season 2018/19
Goalkeepers: McGregor, Alnwick and Kelly
Defenders: Tav, Hutton, John. Wallace (C), McCrorie, Huth, Bartley, Cardoso, Bjelland and Bamba.
Midfield: Jack, Dorrans, Windass, Rossiter, Candeias, Murphy, Docherty, Kamara, Jones, Arfield, McArthur and Davis.
Strikers: Cummings, Lafferty, McBurnie, Karanga and Abel Hernandez.
Manager: Michael Laudrup, Neil Warnock or Frank De Boer.

I think that we have a strong strength in depth with a squad like this IMO. Some players are just suggestions tho i don't expect this size of squad but a team like this with a good manager should be challenging for the league and cups.

A work of pure fiction of course but I'd be very happy if the squad resembled something like this next season:-

McGregor - Alnwick - Wright/McAdams (Kelly and McCrorie loaned out to Championship clubs)

Tav - Naismith(Ross county)

John - Wallace

Bartley(Swansea) - Cardoso

Bjellend(Brentford) - A.Wilson

McCrorie - Jack

McArthur(C.Palace) - Docherty

Arfield(Burnley) - Rossiter

Dorrans - Windass

Candieas - Jones(Kilmarnock)

Murphy - Middleton

Morelos - Cummings - Lafferty(Hearts)

Sorry but that's a truly awful squad mate!

A.Wilson who can't get a game for Dumbarton and Cardoso as the back up centre backs?

Improvement in the midfield but those forward options aren't winning us anything.

Sorry but that's a truly awful squad mate!

A.Wilson who can't get a game for Dumbarton and Cardoso as the back up centre backs?

Improvement in the midfield but those forward options aren't winning us anything.
No need for apologies mate it's all about opinions..but you're wrong it isn't a truly awful squad :D

I don't feel Cardoso has been given a fair chance with us(although I'll admit what we've seen hasn't been great) but I think there's scope there to turn him into a good asset. He also has years on his contract and may be hard to move on without taking a hit on our investment. I'm not concerned about what Dumbarton think about Wilson. Our guys believe he is a good player and our young players need to get opportunities to get into our first team. There's also McCrorie who can play there as well.

If we can command good money for Morelos I'd sell and re-invest(no idea who'd replace him though) but if we don't I think those three options would see us challenge. All three bring very different attributes to the table.

So your bosses pals cousin is gerrards agent? Slightly tedious link

So your bosses pals cousin is gerrards agent? Slightly tedious link
I have no idea. Just passing on what he said. He's an ex pro, used to play in Scotland till he got a knee injury. Ended up stopping playing. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility he still has connections in that field. Novo is my other boss' brother in law so unsure what you're getting at. Is it not possible for me or anyone I know to be connected with someone like that?

Think what you like, i dont know you so what you think of the rumour I posted really doesnt mean a great deal to me.

If you actually read the post, you'll see that's not even what I said.

I have no idea. Just passing on what he said. He's an ex pro, used to play in Scotland till he got a knee injury. Ended up stopping playing. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility he still has connections in that field. Novo is my other boss' brother in law so unsure what you're getting at. Is it not possible for me or anyone I know to be connected with someone like that?

Think what you like, i dont know you so what you think of the rumour I posted really doesnt mean a great deal to me.

If you actually read the post, you'll see that's not even what I said.

No need to get defensive... I don't have a clue who you are I just find 3rd or 4th hand info unreliable that's all

Back