Russel Martin

Hmmmmm.

He was OK, but Aberdeen had too many chances & if it wasn’t for Fod could of been a different story. Would rather no see Bates & Martin partnership again.

I get why his leadership qualities are praised mind you, constantly talking and having a word in peoples ear.

very impressive debut. calm, assured and gave the impression he has been with us for a long time.
Equally impressed with Bates, he is improving each game and i think he is making the position his own.

wait a minute here,on one hand we are how good we were and the game i watched the man of the match was our goalkeeper.i thought we played well at times but let the sheep in at our defense too easy.

Martin was excellent tonight. Assume you watched him live.....as you say it is crazy how folks see different thingds
Yeah, to be fair I sit level with the halfway line, so not seeing him particularly close up. Did he win a single header all night? That’s a concern for me given we concede a lot of cross balls into the box generally.
Apart from the first 5 minutes, he seemed a bit all over the place, and Aberdeen had a lot of joy from his zone of the park. Some real heroics from Wes and Tav - who were both excellent.

Not long until he's captain if you ask me... I think his experience helped bring the best out of the big ginger wall too!! :D

Thought he played very well.
Considering this was his debut, in an important game, alongside a youngster. Did well.
Think he will only settle more into into the team and bring a calming, leadership quality.
On a side note, Bates should be given a new contract. Looking like Wilson is away so there is a wage freed up and hopefully an opportunity for the lad.

Looked in the first 30 like a guy short on match sharpness. Having said that, I thought he grew into the game and was excellent for the last 60. Very decent debut, a clean sheet and 3 points. More of the same on Sunday, Russel!

Yeah, to be fair I sit level with the halfway line, so not seeing him particularly close up. Did he win a single header all night? That’s a concern for me given we concede a lot of cross balls into the box generally.
Apart from the first 5 minutes, he seemed a bit all over the place, and Aberdeen had a lot of joy from his zone of the park. Some real heroics from Wes and Tav - who were both excellent.

I thought the most joy that Aberdeen had came from in front of our two cbs. They had a lot of space at times to pick up the ball and drive and have a long shot.

Holt's work rate is good but hopefully it will be totally different when McCrorie is back to protect the back 4.

If we had been able to start with McCrorie, Jack and Goss in the midfield Aberdeen would not have had a sniff tonight.

He played an exceptional through ball at one point in the second half.

Very composed debut from him.
It was indeed a brilliant ball, taking it first time made it all the more impressive.

He has presence, composure and vision. I think he may well be a better option than Alves, because I think he has a better understanding of the environment of our club.
Alves is aware we are a demanding club, Martin I feel is aware of how demanding our club is.

Fingers crossed he settles and claims the armband, cementing his position. No disrespect to Alves, but I don't think his heart will ever be in it at Rangers, where I believe Martin most certainly could take us closer to heart. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Thought he was decent tonight if a bit rusty at times

Will get better with game time but a good start

Well according to McRorie on RTV he hadn't missed a header all night till half way through the second half.
I'm sure young Ross knows what he is talking about

I thought the most joy that Aberdeen had came from in front of our two cbs. They had a lot of space at times to pick up the ball and drive and have a long shot.

Holt's work rate is good but hopefully it will be totally different when McCrorie is back to protect the back 4.

If we had been able to start with McCrorie, Jack and Goss in the midfield Aberdeen would not have had a sniff tonight.
How would you set up those three?

Just curious.

He done very well for his Ibrox debut.

Calm and assured most of the time but without being overly spectacular.

You can see he has played in the premiership .

His defence splitting pass was quality.

He had a good performance but it was his leadership that stood out for me. Calming players down when it was needed and firing them up when needed also. Just looked too cool out there too. Like the other sigings so far he coule be so good for Rangers.

Don't want to piss on the parade but I remember similar commmets towards Alves after his first game!

I'm not going to overly praise him but I won't be on his back either when he has obligatory poor patch...

Back