Russel Martin

My man of the match, never lost a tackle or a header and organised everything at the back. I particularly liked when there was a long injury break, he went round every Rangers player one by one to have a word with them. Leader

He looked calm and unflustered throughout the game, which young players really need alongside them.

Bearing in mind that Bates and Martin have never played together, I thought they did well.

They will both improve as a pair if they play alongside each other more often.

I really like the look of him already, though

Amazing how people see the game differently- I thought he looked very weak, particularly in the air, and some of his positioning g was quite suspect. A definite downgrade on Alves for me.

Your entitled to your opinion, but you must have been watching a different game from me.And as far as Alves is concerned, please tell us fans your joking.
As the guy has done nothing for us in a blue jersey since he arrived.
He's only concerned about Number ono.and to play for Portugal.

Apart from his arse clenching pass back to Foddy his passing at times was quite incisive especially his ball out wide left for John

Lost most of his headers.

But continually held the line and communicated with the defence and midfield all game.

Will be a very good signing.

Thought he looked a little shaky early on and didnt compete for 2 or 3 headers but could put that down to ring rustiness.

Amazing how people see the game differently- I thought he looked very weak, particularly in the air, and some of his positioning g was quite suspect. A definite downgrade on Alves for me.
I agree ,thought he was poor in the air but a good passer of the ball and I’ll wait a few games to see if he’s as bad as alves

Dog shit in the air though which is worrying

Everything else seemed up to speed though.

Was just about to post the same. Hardly won any headers at all. All other part of his game were sound though.

I think he’ll grow into the position as a proper leader with some games under his belt.

some of the players in the development league in England wouldn't get a game for Alloa. Stepping out in front of 50,000 against Aberdeen is world's apart to anything he'll have experienced this season.

Some maybe, but then you have the likes of Sean Goss. Funny you chose Alloa though as that’s where I stay currently.

My man of the match, never lost a tackle or a header and organised everything at the back. I particularly liked when there was a long injury break, he went round every Rangers player one by one to have a word with them. Leader

Never lost a header? Behave. That was his obvious weakness!

He looked short of match sharpness, but his commitment was there and he looked solid enough. As he settles, I reckon he’ll be absolutely solid for us.

He was good. Passing was good and I'm sure I saw him telling Holt to calm down after a foul which stuck out to me - a new guy telling his new captain (for that game at least) to chill out before he got booked?
Good stuff. I already think he deserves a place in the team more than Alves.

Looked a bit nervous in the first 30 but had a good game!
Bates gives me the fear every time he has the ball at his feet!
He should only get better

I thought he looked a bit suspect early on but he grew into the game as it went on and he had a good second half. I think that once he gets match sharp, he will be a very good player for us.

Considering he's barely played this season he done very well. Once he's match fit, he looks as though he'll be solid for us.

Defensively very good, apart from a couple of times he was beat in the air. Positonally excellent though, and seemed to be a bit of a leader.

Distribution wise he was a bit ropey to start but certainly seemed to relax on the ball more as the game went on.

I think he’ll be an excellent addition.

Thought he played really well. Much better footballer than I thought he’d be. Some great passes. Not the best in the air but Rooney wins most against everyone.
Bates tries and gets stuck in, but still a disaster waiting to happen for me

Given he's not played all season I thought he started a bit shaky but came onto a good game. If anything he was absolutely solid in the air and won almost everything all night.

Once he's up to speed and match sharp he will coast it up here.

Silly post for me mate but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Looks to be a good signing.

Him and McCrorie are a potentially excellent partnership, although I hope we see the best of Alves in the second half of the season.

An Alves and Martin pairing, with McCrorie in front of the defence, would be outstanding.

Bit of a shakey start but guess that is to be expected since he has barely played since last season. Came in well to the match after that.

I think he had a decent first game. He will keep improving, and I think we will have as much respect for him as we did Big Clint .

Will have been a little rusty given his time since a top class game. So with that in mind. Decent debut.

Thought he done ok, nothing great though

One worry for me is the number of high balls he lost to Rooney.

I expected him to be dominant in the air. Certainly lacking there compared with Alves though

Hmmmmm.

He was OK, but Aberdeen had too many chances & if it wasn’t for Fod could of been a different story. Would rather no see Bates & Martin partnership again.

I get why his leadership qualities are praised mind you, constantly talking and having a word in peoples ear.

I think this had a lot to do with Holt and Goss being absolutely gubbed with 10 minutes to go

Never lost a header, you sure? I thought he had a decent debut but was a bit concerned about his aerial ability at times.

Thought he done ok, nothing great though

One worry for me is the number of high balls he lost to Rooney.

I expected him to be dominant in the air. Certainly lacking there compared with Alves though

He never lost a header mate, read the thread.

Hmmmmm.

He was OK, but Aberdeen had too many chances & if it wasn’t for Fod could of been a different story. Would rather no see Bates & Martin partnership again.

I get why his leadership qualities are praised mind you, constantly talking and having a word in peoples ear.

They barely created anything until we went 2-0 up with ten mins to play. In fact, we strolled it up until that point. They then had to really go for it and the game swung. Set pieces became a real problem and they appeared to have a height advantage.

He had a cracking game, but that is just pure bullshit.

He’s always at it with his anti-Alves nonsense. Why not just say he thought Martin played well and leave it at that?

FWIW, apart from wd1872’s obvious lack of footballing knowledge, I’d like to see Martin and Alves together in some matches.

For his debut i thought he was decent enough. As other have said, not dominant enough in the air for me. Good with the ball at his feet though.

I must say I`m a wee bit bemused by all the positive comments re. Martin`s performance. Personally, I thought he looked shaky at times and didn`t win too much in the air. I thought Bates was by far the more accomplished defender of the two centre backs. In fairness to Martin though, he did grow into the game and I understand he hasn`t had a lot of football in recent times, so hopefully, there`s more to come from him once he settles and gets some proper game time under his belt.

I thought he was terrible and Bates not much better
If it wasn’t for wes we were beat last night , hope it was because it was his first game nerves

Back