Russel Martin

A solid enough debut and he'll improve with more game time.

Took immediate control of the back line and talked Bates through the game superbly.

Will be a great addition.

We lost a few headed “flick “ons that we got away with,but thought Russel Martin was immense for us last night,also great organising skills,

First game since August?

Thrown straight in against Aberdeen and was part of a defence that kept a clean sheet.

Positives out weighed the negatives.

He'll get better over time. Leadership qualities were there to be seen.

Great game. Won pretty much everything. Place cemented already.
Not looking for an argument but to say he won pretty much everywhere is way way of the mark and where was our CD in the last 10mins or so when they had 4 or 5 excellent chances right in the middle of our goal. He might be a good signing he might not, time will tell

Not long until he's captain if you ask me... I think his experience helped bring the best out of the big ginger wall too!! :D

Someone who's on loan should never be captain no matter who he is. I do agree he is captain material and has good leadership qualities and if he's ends up being permanently then he's in with a shout

I thought it was pretty mixed to be honest. Looked composed enough on the deck but struggled in the air all game.

I think he did what he was meant to do well, he wasn't outstanding and he wasn't bad. Time will tell

I thought he did well, of course there is room for improvement, but taking into account he has just met the others, it was a promising debut.

Thought he was ok. If he hasn't played in a while then should get better. Looked ok with the ball at his feet and looks like he can pick a pass. Seems a leader and always organising etc.

He was poor in the air though. Didn't win much. If that was Alves then those high balls to Rooney would have been coming straight back at them.

Thankfully the sheep only really caused us problems once Morelos went off and we had Fod there.

Looked solid...think he'll do well up here.
Thought it was funny when he was telling Holt to calm down when he was moaning at the ref to book someone then about 2mins later he was going nuts about a decision against him

Good leadership and solid enough on the ground but concerning that he lost so many headers. A good signing nevertheless and would prefer him to Wilson.

I thought he was terrible and Bates not much better
If it wasn’t for wes we were beat last night , hope it was because it was his first game nerves

Terrible? Bates not much better?

It's incredible how people can see the game SO differently.

Thought Martin had a great first game, was particularly impressed by how vocal and commanding he seems to be. Bates made two mistakes from what I remember but was solid apart from that

If he performs like that every week then I wouldn’t mind him as a 3rd/4th choice centre half option. No doubt a good guy to have around the squad too.

First choice remains Alves with someone new (Onuoha wouldn’t be a bad shout, seen as he’s been linked).

Bates and Cardoso as competition.

Hodson out for a right footed John type (would be going for Yiadom from Barnsley on a Bosman) and that’s the goalies and defence sorted for next year.

When we scored the pen and the players ran towards the East enclosure going nuts he was the one player going round everyone telling them to calm down.
Experience in bundles.

I thought he was terrible and Bates not much better
If it wasn’t for wes we were beat last night , hope it was because it was his first game nerves

I'll bite, terrible? seriously, terrible?

Having watched us with centre backs consisting of Rob Kiernan and Senderos, our centre backs last night were not terrible.

I'll bite, terrible? seriously, terrible?

Having watched us with centre backs consisting of Rob Kiernan and Senderos, our centre backs last night were not terrible.

Was refusing to bite, but I've got to back you up.

Martin grew into the game and Bates played Rooney very well.

Both played their part.

He did fine, very good position wise at the back. He knew what was going on at all times. Will only get better with games & looks to be relishing life at the club so far. Well played to Bates as well who flung himself in front of everything.

First game since August?

Thrown straight in against Aberdeen and was part of a defence that kept a clean sheet.

Positives out weighed the negatives.

He'll get better over time. Leadership qualities were there to be seen.

I think this sums it up but those suggesting he was outstanding and brilliant in the air etc really makes me wonder what they were watching.

He was actually a gamble last night but credit to Murty the result justified it but I would expect a few mistakes till he finds his feet.

If he performs like that every week then I wouldn’t mind him as a 3rd/4th choice centre half option. No doubt a good guy to have around the squad too.

First choice remains Alves with someone new (Onuoha wouldn’t be a bad shout, seen as he’s been linked).

Bates and Cardoso as competition.

Hodson out for a right footed John type (would be going for Yiadom from Barnsley on a Bosman) and that’s the goalies and defence sorted for next year.

Maybe in your football manager game.

But in reality, Martin has been brought in to fill the void that Alves has been unable to fill (experienced, reliable, leader, committed).

Not looking for an argument but to say he won pretty much everywhere is way way of the mark and where was our CD in the last 10mins or so when they had 4 or 5 excellent chances right in the middle of our goal. He might be a good signing he might not, time will tell
Pre-last 10 minutes he was excellent. I would need to rewatch on TV to determine after that, as I was at the match.

Pre-last 10 minutes he was excellent. I would need to rewatch on TV to determine after that, as I was at the match.
Correct , you do need to watch it again he was Beat on countless occasions in the air .I noticed this last night when I was at the match. And as I said I’m not slating him just saying he was far from excellent.plenty reasons why , new teammates , playing in front of 50,000, not had much game time and needs to get used to Scottish football , so not judging him yet but not blinkered either

I think this sums it up but those suggesting he was outstanding and brilliant in the air etc really makes me wonder what they were watching.

He was actually a gamble last night but credit to Murty the result justified it but I would expect a few mistakes till he finds his feet.

The one aerial challenge he really went for resulted in a foul as the Aberdeen player went down holding his head - Martin was raging.

Other than that he wasn't overly commanding in the air.

His first touch, desire to communicate, positioning and distribution was clear to see. He was also willing to back his team mates when persistently fouled and made the referee know of it.

Thought Martin had a solid enough debut. His ball out left to john was sublime

Correct , you do need to watch it again he was Beat on countless occasions in the air .I noticed this last night when I was at the match. And as I said I’m not slating him just saying he was far from excellent.plenty reasons why , new teammates , playing in front of 50,000, not had much game time and needs to get used to Scottish football , so not judging him yet but not blinkered either
I’m far from blinkered. Calling it as I saw it. Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one. We will agree to disagree.

Maybe in your football manager game.

But in reality, Martin has been brought in to fill the void that Alves has been unable to fill (experienced, reliable, leader, committed).

No need to be rude.

Was saying what I would prefer. Martin for Alves is a step down. Martin for Wilson is an upgrade.

Back