Russell Martin loan, should we look to make permanent?

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
We have set up a couple of loans with options to buy in the summer, but as far as I know Martin is simply a regular loan arrangement till the end of the season.
I think he still has another season to go on his Norwich contract, so not available for free in the summer.
Aware he is well over 30 and never will be a Richard Gough or a Davie Weir. But with the expected departure of Alves and surely the end of Kenny Miller's days as a Rangers player, I feel there is a vacancy for the respected old pro in the dressing room, and most successful teams have a number of natural leaders which seems to describe Martin.
As long as he performs well and stays fit, should we be looking to make him a permanent Rangers player? Does he want that? Or should we be looking for a higher class of centre half if we want to win the title?

It is a good move for us, we get a try before you buy to see how he fits in and how he performs. I doubt Norwich will be very difficult to deal with at all if they let him go on loan, it was not to develop him afterall.

After one game it is impossible to say-he looked rusty as you would expect but has the pedigree that suggests he should be able to do a job

Norwich won't take the option if there is one, he is a high earner and they are absolutely skint. The way he was talking is that this'll be a longer term things. Like Cummings, as long as he performs, he'll become a permanent Rangers player.

Same as all the loan players let’s see how they do for the rest of the season then decide.

I rate Martin though so hopefully he shows up well .

We have set up a couple of loans with options to buy in the summer, but as far as I know Martin is simply a regular loan arrangement till the end of the season.
I think he still has another season to go on his Norwich contract, so not available for free in the summer.
Aware he is well over 30 and never will be a Richard Gough or a Davie Weir. But with the expected departure of Alves and surely the end of Kenny Miller's days as a Rangers player, I feel there is a vacancy for the respected old pro in the dressing room, and most successful teams have a number of natural leaders which seems to describe Martin.
As long as he performs well and stays fit, should we be looking to make him a permanent Rangers player? Does he want that? Or should we be looking for a higher class of centre half if we want to win the title?

Don't get too far ahead of yersel, he's played wan game. We have plenty time to assess and buy when and if we like what we see.

I’m sure given the relationship he has with Murty that if he impresses in his loan spell over the next few months we will make him an offer for next season, like others.

Martin is very pleased to be at Rangers.

Need more games to assess but he strolled the gamer versus the team second in the league (for now) while clearly not match fit. If that continues it’s a no brainier in my opinion to make an offer for a permanent deal.

Ideally, he’ll replace Alves as the experienced high earner in the summer.

We then have McCrorie, Bates/Cardoso, plus a new addition in there.

I would say that not one of our new signings playing last Wednesday were fully match fit, so it was a damned impressive performance from all of them, including big Russell. They can and will all improve the more they play.

He’s barely kicked a ball this season and with Wilson on the way out, Alves injured and Cardoso out of favour, it looks like he’ll need to play 90 minutes every game until we bring someone else in. He’s a good signing for the short term but we shouldn’t be rushing to sign him up permanently. Even if he does well, he might fancy seeing out his playing days down south.

If Norwich decides he should stay I wouldn't mind getting John Souttar in from Hearts, looks like a top defender who would pair up well with McCrorie.

We obviously have to see how he gets on, I was never his biggest fan when he played for Scotland but he always did the basics right and as a natural born leader that’s a terrific quality to have.

Murty knew him before hand so I'm sure this is the best deal we could have got at this time. He was captain down at Delia's gaff so they'll be keeping a close eye no doubt.
I would suspect after all he's done for the canaries they would respect what he wants to do come the summer.

We’ve taken him on loan for this very reason, to see if he’s worth buying.

After one week you are suggesting making it permanent? Not for me based on one week, but I totally expect to change my opinion over the next few months

He was excellent against aberdeen. Strolled it in large parts. If wilson is going and if Alves goes then we're short. Have a good half a good season then it would be a sensible move.

Norwich are actively looking to get rid of high earners and they weren't playing him, can't see them being hard to deal with

Early doors but initial signs are good. Hopefully, if he continues to perform, Norwich are easy to deal with (I.e. they don’t sign him up to another year.)

Sure
Y that's the whole point of loaning players. See how they perform over the loan period before making a judgement. I would be pretty certain that the reason for us negotiating so many loans rather than transfers is because we don't have a permanent manager. It makes great sense to do it this way as any incoming manager won't be saddled with players he didn't want

I think Martin will sign for us in the summer. I expect Souttar from Hearts will eventually sign for us also.

QPR won’t sell Goss, they’re already on record as saying it’s a development loan.
Seems to me Goss is exactly what QPR need right now-
My son's mate who goes there regularly says they are rank rotten & can't see how they can consider any loan deals for any player that can stand or walk

Back