Russell Martin on his time at Ibrox

Me on Russell Martin’s time at Rangers

AnguishedCoarseFlamingo-size_restricted.gif

Younger than I thought he was. Nice words from him, so I'll leave it at that.

I know he was a Scotland international but is he English? Don't think I've ever heard him speak.

I think he knows he wasn’t good enough. Neither were our midfield though, or the rest of the defence.

Good words from him. All the best in his management career.
The fact that he's retired at only 33 and couldn't even cut it in league one last season probably tells us that he recognises himself that he lost it a while ago. Nice guy and speaks well about us so hopefully he makes a success of his new gig.

I don’t think any of us dislike him on a personal level. Seems a nice guy and I’ve no doubt he trained hard and tired his best. But I can’t not be absolutely haunted remembering his stint in our first team.

He's a member of the Green Party and a vegan.

That aside, he's a Ranger and those were some nice words.

He was brutal. He really was.

But he’s always been top class in his comments about us I suppose. Jesus Christ, that defence that season. All terrible. What a job Gerrard has done to get us into a position with 4 class centre backs.

You win some, you lose some. I can;t understand why people have a hairy fit about some players but fail to blame the people who signed him.

Oh most of the blame lay with whoever bought him and Murty. I’m sure Martin just went out and did his best, hence the reason I have no ill feeling towards him and want to see him do well in his coaching career.

Younger than I thought he was. Nice words from him, so I'll leave it at that.

I know he was a Scotland international but is he English? Don't think I've ever heard him speak.
aye mate hes english , god awful player by time he picthed up at us , but no ill feeling towards him

You win some, you lose some. I can;t understand why people have a hairy fit about some players but fail to blame the people who signed him.
I don’t think it was the players fault he wasn’t good enough. He always spoke highly of our club and I have no hard feelings towards him. He gave us his best, which as indicated by the fact he has now retired, he realized he was no longer able to

Says nothing but good things about us. I hope this thread can remain civil.
That would be like a breath of fresh air!
Sadly, for too many (including on here) it's never enough to simply say that a player was not up to the task. Instead, we have full-on rage, and abuse of the individual concerned (see also Twitter for examples).

Was well past it by the time he arrived but he gave an honest days work so I don't hold any grudges. I'm glad we've moved on though.

Nice words from him and glad he is using the experiences he learned here to further his career in football management hope it works out for him but ultimately as a player he was not Rangers quality

Undoubtedly the worst defender I've ever seen playing for Rangers.
We'd have been better playing with 10 # men, coz at least his fellow defenders would have known that nobody is not there to fuk it up.
All the best Russell. Hope that no-one in your squad is as bad as you were :)

Nothing against the big fella, a nicer man you will struggle to meet but by God was he a terrible defender. Genuinely up there with the worst I've ever seen at Ibrox in the past 25 years and that includes opposition defenders

Any player, good or bad, that can leave our club and say nothing but good things has my ultimate respect. All the best to the guy.

He was pretty shyte but he had plenty of company in that team, right up to management.

Unnecessary to single him out.

Best of luck to him.

He was actually a good defender for Scotland and looked a solid signing for us but in reality ended up a bombscare

He's a member of the Green Party and a vegan.

That aside, he's a Ranger and those were some nice words.

Nothing wrong with wanting to help the animal kingdom out by not eating them. Yeah Vegans can be a bit preachy but I wouldn't mock someone for being one.

Him and Danny Wilson were equally shite, but at least Russell Martin looked like he cared.

Good luck to him.

Danny Wilson was nowhere near as bad as Russell Martin mate.

Well maybe I've got selective memory regarding his performances against the mentally challengeds mate.

Particularly his attempted marking of Dembele at set pieces and allowing Lustig to waltz by him and score at Ibrox.

He certainly looked like he couldn't give a %^*&, as he strolled around thinking he was Beckenbauer.

Well maybe I've got selective memory regarding his performances against the mentally challengeds mate.

Particularly his attempted marking of Dembele at set pieces and allowing Lustig to waltz by him and score at Ibrox.

He certainly looked like he couldn't give a %^*&, as he strolled around thinking he was Beckenbauer.
That's fair enough, they're not even on the same planet in terms of being awful though

Back