Russell Martin signed - Official

This how the daft Tims responded on Kerrydale Street. Posting a YouTube compilation of Russel Martin of the Blue jays Baseball team. Lol they are soo thick

IMG
Aye,a hope he is half as good as oor wee catcher.Go Jays Go.Go Jays go.
One month to spring training,canny wait.:)

Last edited:
Welcome to Rangers Russell.
let's not expect too much too soon as he hasn't played regularly recently. If he settles in as well as Davie Weir and Clint Hill then he'll prove to be a sound signing and his experience will certainly help organise the defence.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit mmm at this one, simply as he's never impressed me when I've seen him for Scotland. He was surrounded by numbskulls to be fair.

Now I know his attributes...he's the Clint Hill type...a leader, not so much a shouter but an organiser - I like that and we need it - good positioning and awareness.

Now with Alves for me it's been all about concentration. As a siege defender he's superb and impeccable in the air. As the Portuguese national team play a counter-attack style I've no doubt it suits him.

It's the same with us, if we're up against it, Alves shines...if we're playing a lower, counter-attacking team he gets caught out through lack of pace and dare I say it, concentration. Unlike Weir he seems to seems to lose focus at times.

Can Martin match Alves when we're up against it? I doubt it but he can maybe come close.

Can he do better against teams breaking quickly against us? I believe he can.

I hope he does.

That said, I always thought we should never have let Darren McGregor go so there you go.

Welcome to the greatest and most successful team on the planet Russell, may you bring much needed experience to our defence and in doing so brings more trophies to The Rangers FC.

This guys going to surprise a few I reckon.

Will be a really good signing once he's up to speed, come the end of he season we'll be hoping to sign him permanently.

Welcome to the world's greatest. Not the window's most exciting signing but very likely to be a massively important component.

On the Alves thing, I tend to be in the middle - he's been fine but nothing like as good as I was expecting. The thing that I find most confusing in here is about his aerial abilities. Folk rave about them but I've been distinctly unimpressed. He wins things in the air which is a huge step up from Kiernan and Wilson but to my eye he's been far from commanding. Most strong strikers in the league have tended to beat him. And, when he does win them (even unchallenged), they've not been commanding bullet headers to the opposition half or a team mate but have been often weird things bouncing almost straight up in the air and coming back down in our danger zone. Am I seeing things completely differently to most?

He would like nothing better than to be captain and has dropped heavy hints to that effect.

A good role model for other players.

Strange signing.

Not good enough for the first XI and it's an area we already have good cover in.

The problem is not one of them has strung a run of consistent performances together.

Definitely our weakest area of the park.

Just watched the interview and was quite impressed with how he came across.

Said he prides himself on professionalism, been captain at every club he's played at, here to help on and off the park & likes to organise and help others through the game.

Sounds like exactly the type of character you want at the club, and I can only see this move being a good thing for us. Think of previous defenders we've had such as Weir, Daily, Ugo & Clint Hill - not exactly the most inspiring names on paper, but they come here and their professionalism shines through and they end up winning most of us over. If this works out similar to those deals I'll be delighted.

The guy's had over 100 appearances at premiership level, 30 caps at international level and he's only just turned 32 which isn't that old for a centre back. Seems mental some folk are writing him off at this stage.

Could live to regret this but I have a good feeling about this signing. Model professional, played at a good level.

Didn’t realise he’d only just turned 32.

We always said we wish we’d signed Weir when he was younger. Massive question marks obviously but in time, maybe this is close to us getting something like that.

I reckon he'll be this era's Davie Weir. Similar type of character, and had the same accusations etc leveled against him upon arrival on loan.

He'll be a tremendous influence on and off the park, especially for our younger players.

Fod, Wallace, Martin, Wilson and Tav is an excellent back 5 by current SPFL standards.

So that back 4 will get us 3 poin
I reckon he'll be this era's Davie Weir. Similar type of character, and had the same accusations etc leveled against him upon arrival on loan.

He'll be a tremendous influence on and off the park, especially for our younger players.

Fod, Wallace, Martin, Wilson and Tav is an excellent back 5 by current SPFL standards.

So that back four will get us 3 points v the mentally challengeds? That is the bench mark.

So that back 4 will get us 3 poin

So that back four will get us 3 points v the mentally challengeds? That is the bench mark.

If Morelos had his shooting boots on, a back 4 consisting of David Bates and Declan John would have beaten them a few weeks ago.

Beating Celtic only wins us the league when we start to beat the other teams 9/10. We need to consistently be better than everyone else first before worrying about the filth.

If Morelos had his shooting boots on, a back 4 consisting of David Bates and Declan John would have beaten them a few weeks ago.

Beating Celtic only wins us the league when we start to beat the other teams 9/10. We need to consistently be better than everyone else first before worrying about the filth.

and to do so we need better players than Celtc - aiming for 2nd we might get there but so what. If we don't start beating them we will watch them get the league season after season!

Back