Russia Tour 1962

The Meik's Crombie

There is an article by Chris Jack in today’s Herald sports section with Willie Henderson publicising the new Rangers in Russia book.
Within the article, wee Willie is seen quoting that Scot Symon telling the players the club would give them a fabulous world tour because the team were going for the treble. The players were disappointed to be told they were touring Russia. We are then told about the Dundee Cup Final which we won 3-1.

Unfortunately for accuracy, the Dundee Final was in 1963-1964 nearly two years after the Russian Tour.

I usually like Chris Jack’s articles particularly when compared some of the dross emanating from Neil Cameron’s fingertips. However this sort of basic error further confirms I am only buying the Herald now to hide behind when Mrs. TMC (no pictures) is talking to me.

It's a bit of an awkward one because Willie Henderson made the mistake, not the journo.

He might have been confused with the Cup Final against St Mirren.

I guess Chris jack could have pointed this out, though.

Easy enough to check for a journalist, though I would forgive Wee Willie. I was at both and couldn't have told you the exact years.

No way am I criticising Willie Henderson as I do not have total recall either. Just another example of journalists regurgitating a story without checking the facts. Non existent input from the sports editor too.

I was one of the thousands who flooded the tarmac at Renfrew Airport to welcome the team home.
Great days indeed.

Supporters are usually more spot on regarding details about 'what happened when' than players. I remember many years ago reading Alex Ferguson's biography (the first one) in which he spoke about what happened during the run in to our season in 1967/68. He got what I considered to be some important facts wrong and I actually wrote to him about it. The run in to the end of that season had been imprinted on my brain for decades and I could not let Fergie's memory lapses pass. He never got back to me. :) Anyway, wee Willie can be forgiven for his, which related to matters over 55 years ago, but the journo should have checked.

Ive just been given a copy of this book, can anybody who has this book look at chapter 21 page 67 and tell me if the picture is signed by the man himself, or have I struck it lucky.
Cheers in advance.

Ive just been given a copy of this book, can anybody who has this book look at chapter 21 page 67 and tell me if the picture is signed by the man himself, or have I struck it lucky.
Cheers in advance.
You must be lucky bro........ i bought 2 copies no signature for me

68ztqa.jpg

I've been lucky, however once I've read it, I will gladly swap it for one of your unsigned copies, (your memorabilia collection is a joy to see on here).

I was one of the thousands who flooded the tarmac at Renfrew Airport to welcome the team home.
Great days indeed.

My late father, also a Bear of course, was in the police there and appears with the crowd on the front of a Rangers Programme. The nearest any of family our got to appearing for Rangers. :)

Edit - The programme is Rangers vs Moscow Torpedo November 1962 and uses the same pic as above. I have a scan but can't post.

Last edited:
The book is superb and well worth buying.A friend picked me up a copy and got Davie Wilson and Harold Davis to sign it for me.

I've been lucky, however once I've read it, I will gladly swap it for one of your unsigned copies, (your memorabilia collection is a joy to see on here).
lol...that's yours bro, keep hold of it, i've got a few things with davie's signature on it, keep it for your own collection, much appreciated tho.....

My late father, also a Bear of course, was in the police there and appears with the crowd on the front of a Rangers Programme. The nearest any of family our got to appearing for Rangers. :)

Edit - The programme is Rangers vs Moscow Torpedo November 1962 and uses the same pic as above. I have a scan but can't post.

34rsidv.jpg

Last edited:
The photos are great, thanks for posting up.

Chris Jack generally comes across OK but I had the misfortune of meeting him once and I found him to be very arrogant, and extremely fat

Every plane that landed that day was 'rushed' by the crowd.We eventually got the right one.:D
Staying in Renfrew near the airport,we used to go up when a European team were flying in.remember getting people like Puskas,Ghento etceteras autographs.
the night the team came back was unbelievable,as you say the runway was mobbed,and when the players finally made it out the airport,they were met by the Rangers Accordion band,who played them down Broadloan onto the bus.happy days

Cracking pictures.Great memories of times past.If I remember correctly,that tour consolidated John Greig as a right half.

I always thought the club should have done something to recognize the 50th anniversary of the tour back in 2012. If I remember correctly the cold war was at its height and Rangers were asked to go over by the Foreign Office to ease the tension with the 3 friendlies , especially since the club was Scottish. Not only was it huge in a sporting sense it had some politics behind the scenes at the time. Unfortunately, other events in 2012 distracted us from this wonderful chapter in our history.

Cracking pictures.Great memories of times past.If I remember correctly,that tour consolidated John Greig as a right half.
I had watched Greig playing for the reserves against Hivs, inside right, slightly built so I struggled to think of him as a half back. My memory could and often is wrong but did he not play LHB on that tour as Baxter was in the army? Either way it turned a boy into a man!

I had watched Greig playing for the reserves against Hivs, inside right, slightly built so I struggled to think of him as a half back. My memory could and often is wrong but did he not play LHB on that tour as Baxter was in the army? Either way it turned a boy into a man!
You could be right mate.My point was,as you say,it turned him into man.
Here's a thought.Why not send this present lot on a tour of Russia.:D

Back