Ryan Gauld

El Chapo

Official Ticketer
On a free in the summer apparently. Had a great season in Portugal. Anyone think he would be worth a punt?

Can’t say I’ve seen much but as the OP said supposedly had a very good season, could see there being some interest from bigger clubs in Portugal

Can’t say I’ve seen much but as the OP said supposedly had a very good season, could see there being some interest from bigger clubs in Portugal

Also haven’t seen much of him will admit but if he’s had a good season surely they’d sign him up on an extension?

Decent player but we have quite a few options in that attacking midfield position and don’t think he is better than any of them

Not lived up to his early potential I'm afraid.

Bouncing around Portugal's unknown clubs past few years not doing a great deal.

Not for me.

Pros - It would be a decent option to increase our home grown players for Europe and he wouldnt cost anything

Cons - he has to be be better than what we have, and I havent seen enough of him to say whether he is. If he's having that good a season why haven't his team extended his contract?

Think he was out on loan 3/4 times including that club he’s at the now before they signed him

Not sure tbh not really kept up with him. Don’t think he’s of the required quality but if Gerrard wanted him and brought him in I’d give him a chance

Had a cracking season, has the most MOTM awards in the top flight this season and has been the most creative player out with the big 4.

Picked up his 7th MOTM of the season against Braga at the weekend.

It looks like Farnese have taken up their extension clause in his contract, will most likely be sold in the summer.

Been brilliant this season, couple of journalists based there have said that if he was Portuguese he’d be on the fringes of their national team.

Edit: journalists there still saying his contract ends this summer, Transfermarket must be including the option.

Last edited:
According to transfermarkt his contract with his current club is until June 2022.
They had a one year optional extension, I assume they’ve taken that up and will flog him in the summer because it was definitely expiring in the summer.

Was attracting heavy interest from Braga and Sporting.

Must have impressed this season. I'm sure I saw some Portuguese journalist saying he would've been called up already if he was Portuguese.

On a free in the summer apparently. Had a great season in Portugal. Anyone think he would be worth a punt?

Just looking at him there says he signed a 2-year contract in July 2019 with a 3rd-year option and a €4m release clause. As he was voted player of the year there I cant see him going for zilch

A good article for those who perhaps haven’t been following him this season, he’s been absolutely sensational.

You don’t pick up 7 MOTM awards in the top flight playing for cannon fodder against Braga et al if you aren’t very good.

Had a cracking season, has the most MOTM awards in the top flight this season and has been the most creative player out with the big 4.

It looks like Farnese have taken up their extension clause in his contract, will most likely be sold in the summer.

Been brilliant this season, couple of journalists based there have said that if he was Portuguese he’d be on the fringes of their national team.

Edit: journalists there still saying his contract ends this summer, Transfermarket must be including the option.

He's been one of the best players in the Portuguese league this season whilst playing for one of the weakest teams.

7 goals and 5 assists in 24 games. He's also second in the league for key passes

He's statistically outperforming the likes of Horta at Braga for example.

A lot of the comments on here are miles out and probably from people who haven't seen him play in years.

Last edited:
He's been one of the best players in the Portuguse league this season whilst playing for one of the weakest teams.

7 goals and 5 assists in 24 games. He's also second in the league for key passes

He's statistically outperforming the likes of Horta at Braga for example.
Spot on mate, I edited my post to mention his MOTM against Braga the other day too. Having an outstanding season, I think it’s likely he will end up at Braga.

As you’ve alluded to, a lot of people haven’t paid attention to his success this season and have written him off.

He's 25. 9 goals in 21 games in the Portuguese 2nd tier last year. 7 goals in 24 games in the top flight this year. Injury concerns, but at the right price he'd make sense. Not sure that any of the young attacking midfielders are ready to be part of the squad. If he was at the right price then it would be an interesting signing.

If he wasn't Scottish 90% on here would be cumming in their pants at the mere mention of his name with stats like that.

The people saying no clearly haven't seen him play this season. He is one of the most creative players in the Portuguese league, while playing for one of the worst. He could've got a move in January but opted to stay and try and keep Farense up.

Yes he struggled to live up to his early potential but now everything is starting to click and is finally getting there. This happens with players and sometimes everything just clicks in their mids 20s.

If the management team and scouting team think Gauld would be a good fit then I'd be happy taking a punt. Don't see how people can say he'd be a rubbish signing, I know f.uck all about him these days to be honest because I've watched zero Portuguese domestic football. I think that our recruitment has been of a standard where we should defer to the judgement of the club. I'm sure our many resident experts on the Portuguese league know better though.

Have it on good authority he wouldn’t come to us anyway so it’s a non starter
What authority would this be? I'm genuinely interested. Playing for a huge club on the up, managed by Steven Gerrard and the possibility of Champions League football next season might change his mind anyway unless he secretly the biggest yahoo on the planet.

Latest posts

Back