Ryan Gauld

Midfield is the position we need to buy imo, davis getting closer to retiring, jack injured a lot and zungu going back to France. I’m not saying Gauld is the answer but players like him is who we need to be looking at

Reactions: Jeb
Has he been capped for Scotland already?

If not,he can't be far off qualifying for Portugal as they don't have the gentleman's agreement not to cap players based on residency that the home nations have.
He hasn't, but should have been in the last squad ahead of Christie IMO.

When he played in Scotland as a kid - I have to say he looked impressive to me

But how often does someone look the part as a youngster - only to not develop potential into quality later ?

I fully understand that judging him on the difficulties he's had in Portugal - i.e. out on loan - not much chance to maintain consistency etc. - may be a bit harsh - but equally he doesn't seem to have impressed anyone enough along the way to take a chance on sticking with him

For these reasons - I'm out
Not that my opinion is worth hee-haw - & if our scouting staff & SG can see something worth developing- then fine
I remain unconvinced though

If he wasn't Scottish 90% on here would be cumming in their pants at the mere mention of his name with stats like that.

The people saying no clearly haven't seen him play this season. He is one of the most creative players in the Portuguese league, while playing for one of the worst. He could've got a move in January but opted to stay and try and keep Farense up.

Yes he struggled to live up to his early potential but now everything is starting to click and is finally getting there. This happens with players and sometimes everything just clicks in their mids 20s.
Gauldinho.

He will most likely be playing Champions League football at one of the top 3 teams on Portugal next season. The time to get him was last season and hope he developed the way he has done at Farense in the Primeira Liga.

I'm sure he will have had someone from our club monitoring his progress. Would he fit into our system is the million dollar question. It would have been easy for him to return to an average Scottish team closer to his family and fade into oblivion when things weren't going his way but well done to the guy for sticking with it and showing his football talent rather playing hoof ball most teams play in Scotland. Would he benefit from a move to Rangers I'd like to think he would and if he got the chance I don't think it would be lack of effort and skills that would be an issue. Definitely an option for me.

Reactions: Moz
Had a cracking season, has the most MOTM awards in the top flight this season and has been the most creative player out with the big 4.

Picked up his 7th MOTM of the season against Braga at the weekend.

It looks like Farnese have taken up their extension clause in his contract, will most likely be sold in the summer.

Been brilliant this season, couple of journalists based there have said that if he was Portuguese he’d be on the fringes of their national team.

Edit: journalists there still saying his contract ends this summer, Transfermarket must be including the option.

So didn't make it at Sporting Lisbon, who we pump in Europe occasionally. Can't get into one of the lowest quality Scotland squads ever. Is now 25 (not young) and on the back of one good season with a mid table team he will make a difference to us. Hmmmmm....not for me.

So didn't make it at Sporting Lisbon, who we pump in Europe occasionally. Can't get into one of the lowest quality Scotland squads ever. Is now 25 (not young) and on the back of one good season with a mid table team he will make a difference to us. Hmmmmm....not for me.
If you were to go through our starting 11 we would beat every team we signed them from, comfortably.

Ryan Jack wasn’t an international when he turned 25, Arfield never even got a Scotland cap and had to opt for Canada.

Strange arguments.

I never once said we should sign him, but he’s performed considerably above his station this season and is outperforming the so called ‘better’ players at the bigger teams.

I’d get him in on a trial for a weeks but I’d imagine our scouts would have watched him more than me

Contract runs till next summer. Would be interesting on a free but we aren’t shelling out for him.

The new Eion Jess.

That being said I have faith in our scouting team these days, they have earned that trust

We beat Sporting Lisbon 2-0 on aggregate in 2008 and put them out in away goals at 3-3 in 2011. Before that you go back to 71/72 and we put them out on away goals after 2 legs finishing 6-6. Not sure any of that constitutes a 'pumping' tbh.

Scott Arfield couldn't get into the same Scotland squads. That's more to do with the people in charge than a reflection of either player's ability.

Don't know if he would be good enough for us but based of that video he looks technically better than the run of the mill SPFL players. More young Scottish players should definitely move abroad to develop themselves rather than playing in the SPFL.

Don't know if he would be good enough for us but based of that video he looks technically better than the run of the mill SPFL players. More young Scottish players should definitely move abroad to develop themselves rather than playing in the SPFL.
Absolutely, thankfully quite are few these days are.

Bates, Gauld, Hendry, Hepburn, Morrison and Henderson are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

So much experience to be gained by learning different footballing cultures and styles.

After watching a few time this season, I would take the gamble on him.

However his contract was extended to 2022 and he has Braga, Benfica and Sporting all interested in signing him in the summer and value of €10-22 million.

Midfield is the position we need to buy imo, davis getting closer to retiring, jack injured a lot and zungu going back to France. I’m not saying Gauld is the answer but players like him is who we need to be looking at
I have absolutely no insider knowledge on this, but I just get a feeling we'll see Billy Gilmour join us on a season long loan this summer.

Absolutely, thankfully quite are few these days are.

Bates, Gauld, Hendry, Hepburn, Morrison and Henderson are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

So much experience to be gained by learning different footballing cultures and styles.
Absolutely, how much technical ability can a young player gain when the ball is flying overhead constantly.

I think the England team in a few years will benefit massively from the players they have playing in Germany.

We have to be looking for a classy DCM to replace Davis long term, and on paper he fits the bill. I'm sure if he was good enough our scouts would have assessed by now.

But still not good enough for Rangers according to the FF Experts. :D
It’s not up to what FF think one way or the other. If Gerrard and Wilson think he has the abilities to add value to the squad, that’s the only affirmation we need.

I’d be surprised if he’s on our radar though.

People saying they wouldn't take Gauld on a free is one of the most mental things I've seen on here.

If his name was Gauldinho the hype would be ridiculous.

It's not that hard to follow other leagues.

Then again 50% of people on here in a poll said they watch no football bar Rangers.

Probably a massive overlap between that and saying Gauld isn't good enough.

You can tell people don't watch football when they expect us to roll over teams in Europe because they aren't a traditionally big name.

Gauld has certainly garnered a great rep in Portugal, I'd be surprised if he left to come to Scotland rather than up the ladder in Portugal.

I really hope the club make a big play to bring Billy Gilmore back up here on loan in the summer. He's Young, very talented and desperate to make his mark in the game. He also has that connection with Rangers so if its at all possible to come to an arrangement with Chelsea this is the one I'd like to see happening. We are a totally different animal under Gerrard so any doubts he had over his development at Rangers are surely in the past now. I think this would be a great move for both parties.

Reactions: Moz
You can tell people don't watch football when they expect us to roll over teams in Europe because they aren't a traditionally big name.

Gauld has certainly garnered a great rep in Portugal, I'd be surprised if he left to come to Scotland rather than up the ladder in Portugal.
Especially with no allegiances.

Sun, ball on the deck and some nice grass pitches or, hail stones, the ball in the air and some plastic grass that could potentially end your career.

:))

Joking aside, my concerns would be his injury record, the fact he didn't really show up in limited appearances for Hibs just a season and a half ago (taking into account Covid), and that he really only has one good season (this one) in the top flight.

Positives are he's Scottish, is good on the ball, and it's an area we likely need to strengthen.

He'd be intriguing on a free, but I wouldn't pay much for him.

I’ve seen him in a couple of games this season and he was the best player on the park - one against Benfica. What stood out was the change in his physique. He is very strong on the ball and was also knocking bigger players off the ball. I would say he plays in a similar style to Hagi and has the same level of technique but Gauld is more capable of engaging defenders and bursting past them. He is a fair bit older though, so Hagi may catch up in that respect.

Theres been lots of talk about him getting called up, for me he has to be doing it at a higher level before he deserves that. In that position he has Mcginn, Fraser, Armstrong, Christie, Forrest and Philips ahead of him. Along with Turnbull and hopefully Wright who are potential options.
At a higher level??
You do realise the Portuguese league is unbelievably good. Streets ahead of Scotland. He is also playing for a small team who struggle. I would say he is doing very well all considering.

Back