Ryan Hardie Signs New Contract and back on loan to Livingston

Well done ,whish him all the best. He can finish and is a very calm finisher ,he needs to be physically stronger if he is to succeed at the top level.

Good decision by all Hardie knows how to score goals being fit for a prolonged period has been his issue since 18 lad is still growing. Gerrard must have seen things he likes about him and gives him security for rest of season to go show start of next season he is good enough to push for a squad and starting space.

It is very strange. Keep hanging him on - when we all know that he is likely to never be a first team regular and has spent more time out on loan than at the club.

He's now scoring goals at SPFL top division level. If he keeps that up we can sell him on for a 'significant' fee that will be substantially more than any development fee we would get. Harsh, I know, but it may well be as simple as that. Would mean him keeping scoring until the Summer and us selling him at that point though.

All I read on here is people moaning about the injuries caused by plastic pitches. And we have just extended the loan of a young player to play and train on astro every day of the week.

Maybe it's not that bad eh.

Absolutely , most of the players coming through now have spent 90% of their career training and playing on them .

He's now scoring goals at SPFL top division level. If he keeps that up we can sell him on for a 'significant' fee that will be substantially more than any development fee we would get. Harsh, I know, but it may well be as simple as that. Would mean him keeping scoring until the Summer and us selling him at that point though.
Yes - I think this move is more about trying to get more money when we sell him, than actualy saying you have a genuine future as a regular first team player at Rangers.

A couple of Livi season ticket holders were asking me during the week if I thought Hardie would be going back to them for the remainder of the season. They really rate him and see him as key in their side.

He has always been a great finisher - now that he is getting a decent run of games and the fact he has worked on his physique should see him keep improving.

Hopefully comes back to us next season and starts making a claim for some game time.

I don't see Ryan Hardie ever becoming a first team regular at Rangers. I think he knows that, I think Steven Gerrard knows that.
My question would still be - is Ryan Hardie ever going to be a regular at Rangers Football Club ?
My answer would be a resounding no to that. He would always be squad/back up at very best. IMO his long term future lies away from us. He may have 'impressed' SG, but the guy has only been given a 1 year contract. Not a resounding backing in all honesty.
It is very strange. Keep hanging him on - when we all know that he is likely to never be a first team regular and has spent more time out on loan than at the club.
Agreed mate. No disrespect to the lad but we are going to need better than Ryan Hardie if we want to genuinely progress and achieve our ambitions etc.
I guess time will tell, but my gut has always told me that Ryan Hardie is never destined to make it as a first team regular at Rangers.

We'd all want him to, but i remain unconvinced.
Yep- as long as we can get some cash for him, I'd take that.
Yes - I think this move is more about trying to get more money when we sell him, than actualy saying you have a genuine future as a regular first team player at Rangers.
So what do you really think, or do you just not like the young guy?

You say you are unconvinced but obviously you are, 100%. But I am sure Gerrard gave him a further year because he genuinely feels he can make it and for no other reason. I am sure Gerrard would not play with the guys career and do this if, as you said in your 1st post in this thread, he knew the guy would never be a Rangers regular.

If Gerrard thought that, you would get your wish and Hardie would be out the door now. Unlike you, Gerrard obviously has not seen enough of the guy to know he is a dud - yet.

So what do you really think, or do you just not like the young guy?

You say you are unconvinced but obviously you are, 100%. But I am sure Gerrard gave him a further year because he genuinely feels he can make it and for no other reason. I am sure Gerrard would not play with the guys career and do this if, as you said in your 1st post in this thread, he knew the guy would never be a Rangers regular.

If Gerrard thought that, you would get your wish and Hardie would be out the door now. Unlike you, Gerrard obviously has not seen enough of the guy to know he is a dud - yet.
I certainly don't dislike the guy. Seems a really nice lad.

What I would ask is - do you feel Ryan Hardie will become a first team regular at Rangers and command a place as a striker who will bang in the goals to take us to titles etc. ?? personally, I don't. That's all.

I still maintain that his future will be away from Rangers. Hardly controversial.

I think giving Hardie the rest of and season, and if he can remain fit, will tell us a lot more about what he can provide in the SPL. If he continues his form and scores against the top sides then we would be foolish to discount him for next season.

I think giving Hardie the rest of and season, and if he can remain fit, will tell us a lot more about what he can provide in the SPL. If he continues his form and scores against the top sides then we would be foolish to discount him for next season.
Scoring goals at a diddy club where there is no real pressure on him and in front of one man and his dog is completley different to 50k at Ibrox demanding you score at every opportunity.

That's where I think the lad would have a problem.

Scoring goals at a diddy club where there is no real pressure on him and in front of one man and his dog is completley different to 50k at Ibrox demanding you score at every opportunity.

That's where I think the lad would have a problem.

So if he goes to the Piggery and bangs in a couple of goals for a team who are not renowned for creating lots of chances then it doesn't count because he is playing for Livvy?
I get there is less pressure on him at Livvy but he is still playing at the same grounds against the same opponents as he would be for Rangers. The next logical step would be to then play for the Rangers first team.

I don’t really see it happening for the lad with us unfortunately. At 21 you should be at the stage where you are pushing to get into the first team.

If it was going to happen I think we’d of seen him stay here and try earn a place in the first team. Especially in front of lafferty, who’s been rotten

So if he goes to the Piggery and bangs in a couple of goals for a team who are not renowned for creating lots of chances then it doesn't count because he is playing for Livvy?
I get there is less pressure on him at Livvy but he is still playing at the same grounds against the same opponents as he would be for Rangers. The next logical step would be to then play for the Rangers first team.
I hear you mate, I do. I want him to go on and be successful with us, I really do. But if you were to ask me if it is going to happen and he will be the Rangers first team striker, then I'd have to say I really doubt it.

I think either now or in the summer we will bring in another striker(s) and Hardie will fall further down the pecking order. For me, that's the reality.

I hear you mate, I do. I want him to go on and be successful with us, I really do. But if you were to ask me if it is going to happen and he will be the Rangers first team striker, then I'd have to say I really doubt it.

I think either now or in the summer we will bring in another striker(s) and Hardie will fall further down the pecking order. For me, that's the reality.

I'll be honest, I felt exactly the same way prior to this season. Now, I see him differently because he is scoring at a higher level and sounds to have improved. The Livvy fans I spoke to reckon he is very quick around the box and great at finding space and finishing chances. I'm not saying he is going to be the man to lead us in Europe but as a backup striker to sit on the bench and push the main strikers, he could be that very man if he continues to improve. The next 6 months are massive for him though.

Let's just see how he get's on, and maybe give him a chance instead of just writing him off.

Ask Dado Prso, Ian Wright and Jamie Vardy what they were doing when they were 21. Players mature and develop differently, especially strikers.

No one can deny that Ryan Hardies goalscoring record is excellent.

Most of his appearances with Rangers have been as a sub, not starting. If you judge him on his loan clubs he has played 63 games and scored 27 goals.

This has been with Raith, St Mirren and Livingston.....teams who are not known for their attacking ability.

If you have watched him with Livi recently, you will see that he is converting the chances he has been given at an astonishing rate. He does not need 6 chances to score 1 goal, he is a very clinical finisher that will bury the majority of chances he gets.

My opinion is the complete opposite to many others on this thread, I think this boy will go on to be a top goalscorer for us. My only doubt about him was his lack of physicality, he seems to have been slow to develop the physique required for the rigours of Scottish football, but that is improving now.

Back