Ryan Jack another top performance

Absolute junk....here's a guy who thinks his opinion is better than the stats.

Jack's pass completion rate is off the scale consistently in comparison to Arfield and Kamara....he was hitting high 90's at the Sheep,

He's near the top of assists for us.

What bit do you not get?

And giving the ball away costs...cost us trophies last season in tight games.
Stats are very helpful, but if you are judging a football player on stats alone, then I suggest that your judgement will often be flawed.

The truth is that Ryan Jack is very good at making a square pass to feet and occasionally can make a better pass that opens up a situation.
However, if his stats are more weighted to the former than the latter then it reflects much about the type of player he is and where he does most of his passing.
To elaborate, he passes in deep positions in areas where there is less press on space.
When he gets into the last third his passing is less effective as space tightens and the requirements for accuracy are more demanding.

If you watch him when he receives a ball under pressure, he will usually turn back and away from the danger area.
Conversely, watch Aribo, he has the skillset to turn and penetrate even as the opposition is closing him down.

None of this detracts from what Ryan Jack is good at.
He works effectively at closing down space he tracks back and is prepared to do the unsung dirty work, he will take instructions and has the discipline to stick to a managers game plan.
He is clearly an intelligent player and knows his own limitations and will sacrifice himself for the team.
I suspect that is why Gerrard thinks so highly of him.

But trust me, Jim Baxter he is not.

Stats are very helpful, but if you are judging a football player on stats alone, then I suggest that your judgement will often be flawed.

The truth is that Ryan Jack is very good at making a square pass to feet and occasionally can make a better pass that opens up a situation.
However, if his stats are more weighted to the former than the latter then it reflects much about the type of player he is and where he does most of his passing.
To elaborate, he passes in deep positions in areas where there is less press on space.
When he gets into the last third his passing is less effective as space tightens and the requirements for accuracy are more demanding.

If you watch him when he receives a ball under pressure, he will usually turn back and away from the danger area.
Conversely, watch Aribo, he has the skillset to turn and penetrate even as the opposition is closing him down.

None of this detracts from what Ryan Jack is good at.
He works effectively at closing down space he tracks back and is prepared to do the unsung dirty work, he will take instructions and has the discipline to stick to a managers game plan.
He is clearly an intelligent player and knows his own limitations and will sacrifice himself for the team.
I suspect that is why Gerrard thinks so highly of him.

But trust me, Jim Baxter he is not.

I think we recognise he's not Jim Baxter nor is he is a Rangers great but as I've often said if Jack is a problem in our midfield then we've got 4 or 5 ready to join him......

Also highlighting the ability of Aribo after one game against a team half fit in a meaningless tie is as daft as it gets....the guy might be the real deal but frankly we've heard it all before-let's see where we are when he's in the deep end of Scottish football.

That stuff about the last third passing is made up junk as pointed out he's went through a couple of games with a 100% success rate. I'd also wonder why he's playing further forward than Davis because to be frank when Davis was at his peak-Jack was a level behind.

To cut to the chase he doesn't just make square passes nor turn back but we have lost plenty of goals from players you rate higher who gave the ball away in important positions...

I have always liked Ryan Jack even when he was with the sheep, and he has improved since SG and his staff came in to Ibrox.

I think we recognise he's not Jim Baxter nor is he is a Rangers great but as I've often said if Jack is a problem in our midfield then we've got 4 or 5 ready to join him......

Also highlighting the ability of Aribo after one game against a team half fit in a meaningless tie is as daft as it gets....the guy might be the real deal but frankly we've heard it all before-let's see where we are when he's in the deep end of Scottish football.

That stuff about the last third passing is made up junk as pointed out he's went through a couple of games with a 100% success rate. I'd also wonder why he's playing further forward than Davis because to be frank when Davis was at his peak-Jack was a level behind.

To cut to the chase he doesn't just make square passes nor turn back but we have lost plenty of goals from players you rate higher who gave the ball away in important positions...

My opinion about Aribo is based on his performances for Charlton last season, so you can bury the notion it is to do with his appearances for Rangers.

There is no point in carrying this on.
People can make their own minds up by watching Ryan Jack in action and whatever I say won't change that.

I like the player, but I can see him for what he is as a footballer.
You obviously see someone different.
I just hope he has a good season and keeps on improving and who knows he may yet have me change my mind about what type of player he is.

My opinion about Aribo is based on his performances for Charlton last season, so you can bury the notion it is to do with his appearances for Rangers.

There is no point in carrying this on.
People can make their own minds up by watching Ryan Jack in action and whatever I say won't change that.

I like the player, but I can see him for what he is as a footballer.
You obviously see someone different.
I just hope he has a good season and keeps on improving and who knows he may yet have me change my mind about what type of player he is.

Charlton are not Rangers as you know fine well-the OF has been a graveyard for some very talented players. So you are not comparing like with like-when Jack arrived-he slotted in and never missed a beat. He knew the league of course but the responsibility never fazed him.

I'm not sure we see something that different but it is the overall appraisal of players that puzzles me and why Jack is seen as the weakest link. I have no doubt at all the praise heaped on our players middle to front (before the new signings) was inflated due to a good OF victory and a lovely goal and a very good end to the season-before that seems to have been forgotten. I would not rate the midfield or team that finished the season good enough for this season but of course we have seen a lot of new faces which will help with both the balance and the options.

Charlton are not Rangers as you know fine well-the OF has been a graveyard for some very talented players. So you are not comparing like with like-when Jack arrived-he slotted in and never missed a beat. He knew the league of course but the responsibility never fazed him.

I'm not sure we see something that different but it is the overall appraisal of players that puzzles me and why Jack is seen as the weakest link. I have no doubt at all the praise heaped on our players middle to front (before the new signings) was inflated due to a good OF victory and a lovely goal and a very good end to the season-before that seems to have been forgotten. I would not rate the midfield or team that finished the season good enough for this season but of course we have seen a lot of new faces which will help with both the balance and the options.

Trust me, Aribo will play just as well for Rangers as he did last season for Charlton and probably better.
I would put last years Charlton side up against the Aberdeen side that Ryan Jack came from any day of the week.
So your point makes no sense.

Ryan Jack under Gerrard is a much better player now than he was before Gerrard arrived.
He seems to understand his role on the park far better and crucially isn't rushing all over the midfield getting himself into the referee's bad books.

Look out for Aribo, we have bought a cracker.

Trust me, Aribo will play just as well for Rangers as he did last season for Charlton and probably better.
I would put last years Charlton side up against the Aberdeen side that Ryan Jack came from any day of the week.
So your point makes no sense.

Ryan Jack under Gerrard is a much better player now than he was before Gerrard arrived.
He seems to understand his role on the park far better and crucially isn't rushing all over the midfield getting himself into the referee's bad books.

Look out for Aribo, we have bought a cracker.

I hope you are right about Aribo the wee glimpses I've seen he's been impressive. I retain the opinion though Ibrox is a tough tough place to play football.

I disagree about the improvement in Jack-he actually dipped last season and I think he's the type of player that just oozes consistency most of the time-I don't actually think he's got better under SG but the team has massively improved that helps anyone.

We will see midfield places will be hard fought for this season.

I hope you are right about Aribo the wee glimpses I've seen he's been impressive. I retain the opinion though Ibrox is a tough tough place to play football.

I disagree about the improvement in Jack-he actually dipped last season and I think he's the type of player that just oozes consistency most of the time-I don't actually think he's got better under SG but the team has massively improved that helps anyone.

We will see midfield places will be hard fought for this season.

Ffsake, we are almost agreeing. :)
The midfield looks strong and it looks as if there is a wide selection of different strengths to choose from.
I am not surprised that Gerrard and McAllister have ensured that this part of the team is robust reliable and ready.

Sideways passes are all very well and good but contrary to your opinion, they don't win matches.
I think we have found that to our cost in recent years.
They can however rack up statistically and impress a person who doesn't quite understand the finer nuances of the game.
Warburtons teams are masters of keeping possession, or "looking after the ball" yet they frequently struggled against far lesser teams because they didn't have a cutting edge. Possession is great but a cutting edge is just as, if not more important.

Warburtons teams are masters of keeping possession, or "looking after the ball" yet they frequently struggled against far lesser teams because they didn't have a cutting edge. Possession is great but a cutting edge is just as, if not more important.
To be fair to Warburton, he never managed to upgrade the quality of midfield player to enable good effective penetrative passers to perhaps see his project through at Rangers.
I think he had a good ethos, but the quality wasn't there.

To be fair to Warburton, he never managed to upgrade the quality of midfield player to enable good effective penetrative passers to perhaps see his project through at Rangers.
I think he had a good ethos, but the quality wasn't there.
I agree with you there. I think bringing in Kranjcar was him trying to provide that creative spark but obviously fitness issues put paid to that. Be interesting to see how he gets on at QPR.

As Jack is about to receive Davis pass, he has a wee quick look over his shoulder.
zijzpIM.png

The gaffer loves him and lets be honest i’ll take his opinion over absolutely anyone on here.

It's not even an opinion though, it's a professional judgement on what tools are best used to win the game.

You get many on here (who don't rate guys like Jack) hit out with "it's OK to have a different opinion to the manager" and that's true, but generally when you do it shows you how little you know.

Jack is a fantastic midfielder.

I actually prefer him playing as an 8 rather than a 6. He's better playing more box to box than as the 6.

It's going to take a right good player to shift him out the team he's a steady 7 or 8 out of 10 most weeks, very fit, rarely injured and the gaffer loves him.

Yet sick Steve doesn't think he's good enough for for Scotland....
It's their loss we have less chance of him being injured, and that bodes well for our team ,selfishly I don't care about Clarke or the people who boo our players suits me if he just concentrates totally on what he is doing for us.

Back