Ryan Jack - Love him, but..

Jack's been brilliant recently.

He completed snuffed out McGregor on Sunday. Never let him get beyond him all day.

I think central midfield is currently our strongest area and the absolute last thing we need to strengthen in the summer

I really like Jack, but there are weeks where he is anonymous.

The suggestions in the OP are funny.

Adding someone like Holtby would be a good move. Someone with creativity and goals in their game. We can then pick the best fit for the situation at hand.

I just hope we don’t overload the squad with more squad players and upset the balance.

Nobody is guaranteed a start but Jack doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the top of the list for targeted strengthening. Over the course of the season he has been our most consistent player. An absolutely critical part of our midfield balance which has seen us play our best spell in years at the end of the season.

In terms of additions:
We need a left back for the first 11.
A centre half that can compete with Goldson and Katic; and
A player capable of competing with Arfield / replacing him if injured or suspended (maybe Docherty).

In terms of replacements to first 11:
A striker to replace Morelos if he goes (proven less important over last few weeks but still been our best player over the season)
Some real quality to replace Kent if he goes (could be tough)
Quality to replace to replace Tav if he goes (could be tough)

Other than that we look strong and have already added to squad depth with Jones, Hastie and potentially Stewart who will improve our bench.

Jacks a decent player but when we are playing against the cannon fodder in the lower half of the league he’s like a man down in the middle of the park.

Not one of the priority positions imo. CAM is the big one, a game changer to partner Arfield (not Kent).

Was chatting about this last night to my uncle. We (Rangers fans) talk a lot about having two or three first team players coming in to really turn this squad into a title winning squad, there's really a universal opinion - that I agree with - that says we need these two or three players to be first picks so who would they dislodge?

I see these players as LB, CM and CAM. The first explains itself, takes the LB role which nobody has nailed down. The CAM role would be Ryan Kent and if we don't get him then someone of that ilk creatively. (Obv a fourth is a striker if we lose Alfie)

The CM role though has me thinking who makes way? To really become that squad that not only challenges for the league but takes it down needs a team that consistently hits 8-9/10 across the board say 70% of the time. Although Jack is capable of that level of performance, I'm not sure if he's capable of that level of consistency.

Davis and Kamara are, I can see that but I'm not sure if Jack is.

He can be a motm, he can be a 8/10 9/10 or 10/10 but looking back he's probably a 7/10 more consistently, with the occasional burst into the top range.

Im starting to think he's the one that could be at risk. Would we be a better team with a midfield three of Davis, Kamara and say a Lucas Leiva / Sebastian Rudy / Steven Zuber / Thomas Delenay / Jordan Veretout (all of which I see as achievable signings) and would their quality be able to hit that 8-9-10/10 consistently level that Jack doesn't.

Listen I love the guy, he's been brilliant for us and maybe I'm wrong but I think Davis and Kamara have the ability to be higher performers consistently - and this isn't to say Jack can't be a high performer, I just doubt the ability of that level consistently.

Been a great signing up til now. But what about from now?
If he’s managing a minimum seven out of ten, he should be a first pick.
I cannot think of half a dozen players who were eight out of ten, eighty percent of the time.
Jack is a good player but there are few in the squad, non actually, that couldn’t be improved on.

In what way?
No mention of form, Jack is playing and we're winning. If you have the shirt in a winning team and are contributing like Jack is then you keep the shirt. You are also basing your opinion on the individual as opposed to the collective. It's a team game after all !

We cannot replace Jack with a goalscoring midfielder, that makes no sense.

Jack is there to stop attacks, cover space when other players attack, and generally 'put out fires' as I heard one pundit describe that position. He does this very well, and most of his work is off the ball so its hard to judge what he has done in a game.

I have no problem with replacing him, but with our finances we would have to get someone who is young and still learning, or some one who has played at the top and is getting near the end of his career. Or maybe some on who has done it at a lower level and could maybe make the step up. All are risky, just like any signing.

Even the likes of Zuber or Veretout are in the realms of fantasy

I haven't heard of either of them but one look at their current clubs instantly puts them out of our reach.

Our market is the 0-2m range with room for 1 £3m+ plus signing dependent on Morelos leaving imo.

I happen to agree with OP and thought this for a while. We're riding on a high now so peoples opinions on players are slightly altered.

When we were going through the bad runs, most players were not good enough for many. Jack being one of them. He is a good, solid player but one i would be hoping for an upgrade. If not, its not he end of the world.

And someone to compete with Arfield for his role

I haven't heard of either of them but one look at their current clubs instantly puts them out of our reach.

Our market is the 0-2m range with room for 1 £3m+ plus signing dependent on Morelos leaving imo.

Zuber might be achievable; he's at Hoffenheim but has been out on load to Stuttgart this season and only has a year left on his contract I think. Can't imagine that he couldn't get a game at a higher level than the SPL though. Veretout cost Fiorentina €7m and has played 60-odd games for them over the last two seasons and has been linked with Arsenal.

Was chatting about this last night to my uncle. We (Rangers fans) talk a lot about having two or three first team players coming in to really turn this squad into a title winning squad, there's really a universal opinion - that I agree with - that says we need these two or three players to be first picks so who would they dislodge?

I see these players as LB, CM and CAM. The first explains itself, takes the LB role which nobody has nailed down. The CAM role would be Ryan Kent and if we don't get him then someone of that ilk creatively. (Obv a fourth is a striker if we lose Alfie)

The CM role though has me thinking who makes way? To really become that squad that not only challenges for the league but takes it down needs a team that consistently hits 8-9/10 across the board say 70% of the time. Although Jack is capable of that level of performance, I'm not sure if he's capable of that level of consistency.

He can be a motm, he can be a 8/10 9/10 or 10/10 but looking back he's probably a 7/10 more consistently, with the occasional burst into the top range.

Im starting to think he's the one that could be at risk. Would we be a better team with a midfield three of Davis, Kamara and say a Lucas Leiva / Sebastian Rudy / Steven Zuber / Thomas Delenay / Jordan Veretout (all of which I see as achievable signings) and would their quality be able to hit that 8-9-10/10 consistently level that Jack doesn't.

Listen I love the guy, he's been brilliant for us and maybe I'm wrong but I think Davis and Kamara have the ability to be higher performers consistently - and this isn't to say Jack can't be a high performer, I just doubt the ability of that level consistently.

Whilst I agree you need to always look for the best of the best, I do however feel this is an area with those 3 already there that could easily achieve higher heights.

All 3 are capable of more but we need consistent players, guys to rely on and Jack is certainly that man.

If someone better is to come along then he will replace anyone in the squad - nobody’s position should be a given.

He’s the but though......Jack is a player who goes under the radar a lot due to the work he does. As he isn’t a Kent type player, his closing down of opposition, tackles, runs and consistent availability on/off the ball is something that is very hard to come by and would make our midfield worse off.

The reason Kamara and Davos look so much better is knowing jack is there to cover/clean up should they make a mistake......take Jack out and you’ll be left with bigger gaps and more options for our opponents.

I know a lot are looking to improve our first XI, in this instance I feel you are barking up the wrong tree and in my opinion, these 3 should be our starting 3 next season - CH/LB/RB(if Tav goes), Forward 3 are areas to improve first (should Morelos go)

have you informed SG?

I still think a guy with Ferguson/Adam's passing range is still required (not saying sign Charlie Adam before anyone starts) and a no 10 for the midfield. As great as the trio has done, I don't believe we need Jack against smaller teams and much like McCrorie, he should be brought in depending on who we are playing. We need to be able to have creative and combative combinations of the trio and everything in-between to win the league next season.

Its all about continuous improvement and finding the right balance.

We've fucked up royally in the past by standing still.

Team at present is good though.

The same Jordan Veretout that’s about to sign for Napoli for €27m.

Don’t remember hiding when we were truly rotten under Pedro.

In fact, pre injury, he was one of the better performers.

Plenty games even this season he goes into Touch and get rid mode and doesn't show for the ball.

Listen its maybe something he has grown out of, but he was one of the worst when it came to shirking responsibility in certain games.

I like the Jack, Davis and Kamara trio, and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it has worked, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't still be looking to upgrade it.

Next season we will need our midfielders to chip in with more goals than they have done this season. We won't get many goals from that midfield trio, so there is one area that can be improved upon. There is scope to have more creativity from that midfield as well, neither Jack nor Kamara are really the kind of player that will split a defence with one pass.

Clearly I'm a few years out of date on some of the midfielders I mentioned and I'll take the sarcasm but it's not the point of the thread.

Can Jack hit the Heights we KNOW Davis can and it looks very much like Kamara can.

Is it better to look for another combative player to play alongside Davis and Kamara with Ryan and Ross as higher profile squad players.

I don't feel like I'm doing Jack a disservice. I've been very complimentary of him. He's veen really good up until now. But is he good enough for the next phase as a first team regular the way I believe Davis and Kamara are.

He's been our most consistent player this season. He's also improved drastically. No, Ryan Jack will be a first team regular for many years to come. If our management team of Gerrard and McAllister think he's a player, then that's all we need, to think the same.
I personally think he's turning into a very good box to box midfielder.

I would replace every single player in every position if someone better came along. Its all about stepping up every season and improving all over the pitch.

Agreed, but realistically we need to prioritise and identify the weakest areas. We're blessed with a few good options in the middle of the park right now.

What do people want from a defensive/screening midfielder?

He covers every blade. Sniffs our dangers. Recycled possession. Offers some dig in the tackle.

I’m a bit perplexed as to this wave of negativity surrounding Jack’s role.

It's probably just because he's not as classy as Kamara and Davis and there's a nagging suspicion we still need a #10.

I'm starting to think that people who don't rate Jack as a player (or notice what he brings to our side) either don't know much about football or don't like him because he only signed from Aberdeen

I still think a guy with Ferguson/Adam's passing range is still required (not saying sign Charlie Adam before anyone starts) and a no 10 for the midfield. As great as the trio has done, I don't believe we need Jack against smaller teams and much like McCrorie, he should be brought in depending on who we are playing. We need to be able to have creative and combative combinations of the trio and everything in-between to win the league next season.

Gerrard on Rossiter

'Week to week, getting full training in, getti.ng his body conditioned, that's his first challenge. Then I've no doubts he will show everybody what he's capable of.

'I think he can do a bit of everything very well. He's very fit, in terms of endurance, so he hits big numbers and covers a lot of grass. He's nearly as good at tackling as me!

'He can pass the ball short and long, he's honest, I trust him. He's up for it; he's my style of player who'll empty it for you.

'So, he's just got to be patient and let it happen and it will come. There's a lot of football to be played from now until the end of the season. He'll get a lot more appearances if he's looked after himself.

I'm starting to think that people who don't rate Jack as a player (or notice what he brings to our side) either don't know much about football or don't like him because he only signed from Aberdeen
Or they want the squad improved as we have won fk all with the current squad.

You've gone a bit mental there.

Or they want the squad improved as we have won fk all with the current squad.
And that is Ryan Jack's fault? Majority of the people you see on here saying the want jack replace are also saying rossiter will be a 1st team pick

And that is Ryan Jack's fault? Majority of the people you see on here saying the want jack replace are also saying rossiter will be a 1st team pick
If we are to strengthen then it should be the midfield and Davis and Kamara are both better footballers than Jack.

If we are to strengthen then it should be the midfield and Davis and Kamara are both better footballers than Jack.
Jack is the one who allows them to play the way they do with the protection he offers. If we can get an upgrade on him that's great but it's not the first place we should be looking considering we will have 2 cbs once the season finishes and 1 gecent striker if morelos leaves.

Ryan jack will be a mainstay in the squad and a player who can be trusted when called apon, he’s the sort of player I’d bring in for man marking jobs in tough matches old firm, europe etc

Assume you spoke to Gerrard regarding this, as you know his opinions on Rossiter?

What you have said quite frankly is not true.

The true series of events were -

Rossiter was flying pre season and receiving praise from SG.
Rossiter receives an unrelated injury.
By the time he was then fit again we were underachieving in the league and couldn't afford him the time to get back upto speed, so allowed him out on loan to do so.
All I can say in response to this is go watch the pre season interviews again

It's probably just because he's not as classy as Kamara and Davis and there's a nagging suspicion we still need a #10.

Still think we need a ten, for sure.

But not sure how that impacts Jack.

I’m not convinced that Arfield or Rossiter could do Jack’s role.

I think Kamara and Davis are probably the replacements, if required.

However, Davis is a one season solution. He’s here to stop 9.

Zero trophies in the past couple of years. Jack has been part of that.

Clean slate in pre-season. Jack should in no way be guaranteed a start next season.

He barely featured last season - our shit form coincided with him being suspended or injured

That aside that point gets dafter when accounting for us using 3 managers last season - AND the same logic applying to Tav AND Morelos

Last edited:
Back