Ryan Jack - Love him, but..

I agree with OP that we need to add a quality CM but I don't necessarily think Jack will be the one replaced. I would personally like someone in there with bit more of a goal threat. It's a long hard season though and with injuries and an aging Steven Davis there is a good chance nobody would get replaced.

Also I think all 3 of our CM's have played at a similar high standard the past few games. However with Davis' passing abilities and Kamara's ability to create space for himself they perhaps stand out more than Jack does but that does not necessarily mean they are more important players.

Mr Consistent, he doesnt do anyrhing special but what he does do he does very well.
I would have no problems with him being in the team next year and beyond

I would replace every single player in every position if someone better came along. Its all about stepping up every season and improving all over the pitch.
This in abundance - it's only about; progression, winning games, and getting trophies back to where they belong.
Nothing wrong with adoring our players, singing their names, supporting him, and enjoying their time with us, however, if someone better comes to play for us then that's we need to get them in (if financially viable etc of course).

Gerrard loves him but he's ruthless and if a better option becomes available that we can sign then he won't hesitate to bring that player in. That goes for any position on the park.

Gerrard could be sacked next season if he doesn't win the league and that's the chances of his dream job at Liverpool goosed for a long time. He won't have any sentiment in his decisions, the guy is a ruthless winner.

Jack is the one who allows them to play the way they do with the protection he offers. If we can get an upgrade on him that's great but it's not the first place we should be looking considering we will have 2 cbs once the season finishes and 1 gecent striker if morelos leaves.
I would play kamara in jacks position and get another midfielder who can drive forward with the ball and shoot from outside the box because a midfield 3 of jack kamara and Davis isn’t getting us many goals.

What do people want from a defensive/screening midfielder?

He covers every blade. Sniffs our dangers. Recycled possession. Offers some dig in the tackle.

I’m a bit perplexed as to this wave of negativity surrounding Jack’s role.

I don't think there is a "wave of negativity", just some people who have never really liked him that much because he does the quiet dirty stuff that often goes unnoticed.

If we had a midfield stuffed with forward thinking attacking players, we'd get sucker punched every week.

That ugly, snarling, dirty role, sitting deep and snapping into challenges and recycling the ball is vital in every successful team. Jack has more than earned the right to keep the jersey for now. It'll be some player that takes it from him, that's for sure.

I would invite you to rewatch the vast majority of our games this season and count how many times Jack gives the ball away/loses out in a challenge.

Helpful tip - you'll only need one hand. IMO he does a lot more in that midfield than he's given credit for.

Jack is a fantastic squad player. He is perfect to replace Kamara or Davis if injured but i agree we need a more creative midfielder in the team and one player in midfield has to be moved out for this player.
Its not a dig at Jack it is just we are building a very good team.

I would play kamara in jacks position and get another midfielder who can drive forward with the ball and shoot from outside the box because a midfield 3 of jack kamara and Davis isn’t getting us many goals.

Yet they have enabled us to score 8 in last 4 games against teams in our half of the table and ensured we’ve lost 1.....

Another slag Ryan Jack thread. Think third one this week. With the same suspects.

People who watch the game not the call realise what work he does. Interesting how Kamara looks so much better than he did at Dundee. A lot of that is playing beside a consistent performer in Ryan Jack

Confident he will start next season. If he was foreign name same people would rave about him.

Was chatting about this last night to my uncle. We (Rangers fans) talk a lot about having two or three first team players coming in to really turn this squad into a title winning squad, there's really a universal opinion - that I agree with - that says we need these two or three players to be first picks so who would they dislodge?

I see these players as LB, CM and CAM. The first explains itself, takes the LB role which nobody has nailed down. The CAM role would be Ryan Kent and if we don't get him then someone of that ilk creatively. (Obv a fourth is a striker if we lose Alfie)

The CM role though has me thinking who makes way? To really become that squad that not only challenges for the league but takes it down needs a team that consistently hits 8-9/10 across the board say 70% of the time. Although Jack is capable of that level of performance, I'm not sure if he's capable of that level of consistency.

Davis and Kamara are, I can see that but I'm not sure if Jack is.

He can be a motm, he can be a 8/10 9/10 or 10/10 but looking back he's probably a 7/10 more consistently, with the occasional burst into the top range.

Im starting to think he's the one that could be at risk. Would we be a better team with a midfield three of Davis, Kamara and say a Lucas Leiva / Sebastian Rudy / Steven Zuber / Thomas Delenay / Jordan Veretout (all of which I see as achievable signings) and would their quality be able to hit that 8-9-10/10 consistently level that Jack doesn't.

Listen I love the guy, he's been brilliant for us and maybe I'm wrong but I think Davis and Kamara have the ability to be higher performers consistently - and this isn't to say Jack can't be a high performer, I just doubt the ability of that level consistently.

Been a great signing up til now. But what about from now?
Veretout is linked with a move to Napoli rumoured to be 27m euros think you might have to lower your expectations a little.

Another slag Ryan Jack thread. Think third one this week. With the same suspects.

People who watch the game not the call realise what work he does. Interesting how Kamara looks so much better than he did at Dundee. A lot of that is playing beside a consistent performer in Ryan Jack

Confident he will start next season. If he was foreign name same people would rave about him.
Where did I slag him? Disagree, absolutely but don't make shit up.

You need 7/8 out of ten players to win the league. It's not his fault that we never won the league, also not just all down to him the last 6 games have been won.

The teams consistency has been our downfall.

There will be changes next year, Jack is not first on that list for me, he;s not last either. We can upgrade all our players, some needed more than others.

He is a good, steady player that I would definitely keep as a squad player and have him as a starter in certain matches, games where we a re able to press teams and will also have periods where the opposition are coming at us.

He is, however (in my opinion), utterly useless in games where teams just sit back and say we are here for a 0-0, break us down.

I came onto this thread expecting to read many, many posts decrying what Ryan Jack brings to the team. I'm delighted to find that is not the case and that the majority - the vast majority - recognise how important he is to us.

For some bizarre reason Jack appears to have become a 'target' for the more critical on this forum. Can't understand it myself. He had a slight dip in form that lasted all of a couple of weeks and that was it. Of course, there are better players in his position out there - but we won't be paying the massive sums of cash it would take to bring them in and there is no-one currently at Ibrox (including Rossiter) who can do the job as well.

We do definitely need another quality CM to come in and provide competition as outside of the four we really have (Arfield, Kamara, Jack and Davis) there isn't a lot of depth.

Jack still not being totally appreciated by some Bears.Bonkers! The guy is a must in
our newly found unit in midfield.
The way I see it is,everyone else is doing the
business because Jack is there.

I would replace all our players as well - but we can’t because we aren’t Man City and need to deal with what we have.

Spending 3/4 million of budget on a player to replace Jack would ultimately see us go back as that’s money that should be going on another area that does need work this summer

Folk talk as if you select your starting 11 for the season and that's it locked in for every game.

Jack will get plenty of football next season hopefully alongside some quality additions.

He'll be a mainstay next season once again.

And rightly so, he's been one of our best players this season and will excel further with a settled midfield and better players ahead of him.

I would replace every single player in every position if someone better came along. Its all about stepping up every season and improving all over the pitch.
The moment you stop thinking like this is the moment you stop moving forward.
Stevie knows this.
Every player in the squad has to understand that he is under pressure because no position is safe.
To keep your place you have to be aiming to turn up and perform for every moment of that ninety minutes.

Ryan Jack is simply a better and more effective player than many of our fans recognise.

Having said that despite the recent 100% run I do think the midfield needs tweaked and the last third needs revamped-we need more versatility and cutting edge.

SG will judge how he does that and it will be tricky.

Every team needs a jack,Kamara has played a few good games and some are holding him up as the next big thing,granted he’s played well but some of the praise being lavished on him is a bit over the top.coulibaly anyone..

I think you're asking two separate questions:

1. Is he good enough to be a part of an SPL winning Rangers side?

I'd say yes he is.

2. Are there better players out there we could attract/sign to replace him?

I'd say yes there are.

I think he could be upgraded with a better player but that's true of everyone in the world bar Messi.

Genuinely think he’s the most underrated player in our team, on Sunday he covered every single blade of grass and enabled us to win ball back in all the key areas

Just goes about his work without any fuss

Too many people don't realise you need someone to do the dirty work to enable the footballers to do their thing.

Every team needs a jack,Kamara has played a few good games and some are holding him up as the next big thing,granted he’s played well but some of the praise being lavished on him is a bit over the top.coulibaly anyone..

A few good games?

Kamara has been fantastic for almost half a season and is in a totally different class to Coulibaly.

Need to up it a level.

The trophy cabinet is evidence that we need to improve in key areas. IMO, Jack is one of these.
The trophy cabinet is evidence of the witch-hunt against us and having a poor manager in place for two years in the top flight.

A few good games?

Kamara has been fantastic for almost half a season and is in a totally different class to Coulibaly.
Coulibaly played a few good games and this place went right over the top,get him signed up etc.im not questioning Kamara contribution but let’s not get ahead of ourselves

Coulibaly played a few good games and this place went right over the top,get him signed up etc.im not questioning Kamara contribution but let’s not get ahead of ourselves

But he's been tremendous for half a season, not a few games.

Nobody's getting ahead of themselves, Kamara is a class act and will only get better.

But he's been tremendous for half a season, not a few games.

Nobody's getting ahead of themselves, Kamara is a class act and will only get better.
12 games he’s played,Im not disagreeing with you.did people not say this stuff bout coulibaly also?

12 games he’s played,Im not disagreeing with you.did people not say this stuff bout coulibaly also?

Coulibaly looked solid early on and some people went over the top, that's true.

I never got the impression that people thought he was a particularly talented footballer, because quite simply he never showed anywhere near the ability on the ball that Kamara has, even in those early days.

Coulibaly looked solid early on and some people went over the top, that's true.

I never got the impression that people thought he was a particularly talented footballer, because quite simply he never showed anywhere near the ability on the ball that Kamara has, even in those early days.
What’s your take on Ryan jack?

Back