Ryan Jack must be close to a return now. Surely?

He can't be trusted to play regular football (not is fault, his body clearly can't ake it). He needs replaced with someone who can give us 35 games a season for multiple seasons in a row.

It's a shame as when fit he clearly walks in to the team and we are a much better team with him in it, but we can't have this every season.

Reading through this thread, it is apparent that some fans havent really paid attention to our financial situation and are still calling for investment in January.

The sad fact is we won't spend money on a replacement in January, unless we sell 1 or 2 players for big money. If Kamara was to go I'd imagine we would reinvest something into the playing squad but we've been front loaded very heavily to win the league last season and get champions league qualification. We've blown the CL so will need to hope that we can win the league again this season, despite no real investment in the 1st team.

Ryan Jack coming back and staying fit would be a huge positive. If he doesn't then I'd expect we would let him go at the end of his contract and we'd probably sign another lundstram type signing to replace him

Was it nearly 470 days missed through injury since signing?

He’s not been a regular first team player here in nearly a year. Our midfield is in urgent need of addressing, we are sleepwalking into the issue with players out of contract in summer

I'm pretty sure there was a stat going around that he had missed as many games as he had played. I could be wrong, and I could actually check it out for myself, but I'm pretty lazy tbh.

He may come back in a month and be fully fit and ready to go.

We just don't know.

Even if he does past experience would dictate that his next injury probably isn’t far away, which is what I assume the person you quoted is getting at.

Good player obviously, but not much use if he’s only available once in a blue moon. 3 out of his 4 seasons here he’s not played half of our league games, 2018-19 being the outlier with 30 games.

Realistically, even if/when he's back 'fit' and available - like Katic, it's going to take him a long time to get up to speed and we can't really afford passengers at this stage.

When's the last time he had a decent run of games in the team, say 10-20 games without niggling injuries?

I hope he does come back, and is up for it. I'm sure he will be.

Just a thing at the back of my mind that, he wont be the same player, and may have the previous injury racking his head. Next injury may be his last in a bears jersey.

I really hope not.

Was it nearly 470 days missed through injury since signing?

He’s not been a regular first team player here in nearly a year. Our midfield is in urgent need of addressing, we are sleepwalking into the issue with players out of contract in summer
One first team player is out of contract in the summer and he is not a midfielder.

Last edited:
I agreewe
I was always pleased to see his name on the team sheet, especially in the bigger games. We are better with him in the line up.

I hope he returns at some point but I think we’ve seen this movie before.
I agree we really miss him as a player but given his record I can't see him playing many games in a season when he is fit, if ever.

I have a bad feeling there’s something deeply wrong and they’re not sharing it.
It would be a bold move but by the same token, I don’t particularly ‘trust’ the diagnoses from our medical department at this time.

Helander being back in December as an example - I’m currently mentally preparing myself for him not playing first team football until after the January break.

I really like Jack. He gives his all every game and has thrived under Stevie G and coaching team

I hope he can get back to full fitness ASAP but clearly there must be an issue on his recovery

Wishing him all the best and hope he can get back to playing for the club

Good player is Ryan Jack but he’s getting better the longer he is out. It’s also going to take him some time to find his feet.
For once i actually think it's the opposite. The longer he's been out the easier some are willing to just discard of him. He's the best midfielder we have at getting stuck in and protecting the defence while also being good enough on the ball to be part of our best midfield when everyone is fit.

It took until early February last season for Rangers to concede a goal in the league when Jack played. 16 straight clean sheets. You can tell when watching the matches that the defence are far more comfortable when Jack plays and the numbers back it up as well. Since last season we have kept a clean sheet 79% of the time when Jack plays as opposed to just 46% when he doesn't.

Listening to Gary MacAllisters presser today, he was very cagey about Jack which worried me a bit. He said he still not training.

I hope he is back soon, something I never thought I would say the day we signed him from Aberdeen. I didn't he was a bad signing like some did I just wasn't convinced he would become integral to the team, I thought he would be a good squad player especially for the SPL.

For once i actually think it's the opposite. The longer he's been out the easier some are willing to just discard of him. He's the best midfielder we have at getting stuck in and protecting the defence while also being good enough on the ball to be part of our best midfield when everyone is fit.

It took until early February last season for Rangers to concede a goal in the league when Jack played. 16 straight clean sheets. You can tell when watching the matches that the defence are far more comfortable when Jack plays and the numbers back it up as well. Since last season we have kept a clean sheet 79% of the time when Jack plays as opposed to just 46% when he doesn't.
Absolutely agree, he was almost indispensable for us. My hope now is that he returns as good as before.

Such an important player for us, but it's really getting to the point we have to think of the team without him. He should have been replaced in the summer.

It’s really make or break for him with us once he’s actually back fit training day in day out (whenever that is) and match fitness will be a further 5 or 6 games on from that.

I’ll be surprised if we see him before Christmas.

Think it's time we replaced Jack sooner rather than later it's becoming another long frustrating process trying to get him back from injury.

I liked Jack one of my favorite players over the last few seasons,Sadly after his injury problems I don’t see him coming back the same player might even be lucky to play for us again.

I just hope they have got to the bottom of this latest injury . I don’t totally agree with his reputation of being injury prone . He was assaulted by Cipre which was the start of his problems and there wasn’t much he could do about that .

Apart from that injury and this latest one I don’t remember him missing too many games .

I remember a rumour on here from someone saying that if we buried the Alashkert game at home he would have had some minutes on the away tie. That was almost a month ago now.

People forget how long it takes professional footballers to get up to speed once they are fit. And that there's a difference between fit and match fit.

I think most of us are understandably cynical about his chances of recovering full fitness based on how frequent he was injured previously, but the whole point of the operation was to remedy that.

We were told it was a success so we should rightfully expect him back eventually.

If that takes a little bit longer, so be it - as much as we could really use him right now, there’s no point rushing his return and setting it back further.

Incorrect

We have Davis and Arfield out of contract for starters
Major rebuild is on the cards this summer that I hope we're well into planning for. All likelihood need a new Keeper, 2 new CHs at least. 2 new central midfielders at least possibly 3 if Jack doesn't make a full comeback. 4 if Kamara is sold.

Major rebuild is on the cards this summer that I hope we're well into planning for. All likelihood need a new Keeper, 2 new CHs at least. 2 new central midfielders at least possibly 3 if Jack doesn't make a full comeback. 4 if Kamara is sold.
More pressure due to our questionable business this summer I'll be intrigued to see if proper funds are available if not all eyes on what Gerrard does.

More pressure due to our questionable business this summer I'll be intrigued to see if proper funds are available if not all eyes on what Gerrard does.
Personally on nothing more on what I feel I don't think Gerrard will be manager. I think we will win the league this year all things going right elsewhere in other leagues and who wins CL get automatic CL.
Have a year with his family before he takes another job. Think he'll think job done and won't fancy another rebuild like his 1st season meaning he might get some sore ones in CL and struggle in the league if everyone doesn't hit the ground running. Would damage his reputation. Scottish football and the amount of times we play the same teams is a grind. Team has lost a wee bit of enthusiasm this season and so has he imo.

I remember a rumour on here from someone saying that if we buried the Alashkert game at home he would have had some minutes on the away tie. That was almost a month ago now.

People forget how long it takes professional footballers to get up to speed once they are fit. And that there's a difference between fit and match fit.
I must admit its not that i forget ive just never been able to understand it, fit but not match fit it makes little sense to me.

(not a dig i totally accept people that are part of the game, pundits etc say it all the time)

I must admit its not that i forget ive just never been able to understand it, fit but not match fit it makes little sense to me.

(not a dig i totally accept people that are part of the game, pundits etc say it all the time)

You could be super fit but match sharpness is just something else altogether. Short, sharp bursts, the physicality of the game, the speed of it etc. It's hard to replicate that just training on your own.

Back