Ryan Jack our Iniesta

Jack is a good player but this view that we play far better with him in team is just baffling tbh
Brilliant to have him for big games and such where we play 3 defensive midfielders but in league business we haven't overly missed him.
Do people realise we're unbeaten in the league?
Just updated stats put up by another poster, the squad is good enough to get results without Jack, but with him the performance goes up a level:

League stats for the season:

With Jack in the team:
Played 13
Conceded 0
Tav goals 7
Points 37

Without Jack in the team:
Played 12
Conceded 7
Tav goals 4
Points 32

I have been accused of being a Ryan Jack fanboy, guilty as charged but as seen yesterday, he runs the show and quietly and effectively tidies up most of the threats before they do any damage. There are some stats showing results with and without him but it is the performances that what do it for me, flowing football in the sure knowledge Jack has things covered should things break down. He injects confidence to those in front of him and the performance of every player goes up a level.

Morelos and Kamara are lauded as fantastic signings but Ryan Jack is THE signing of the decade IMO, if he stays fit for the next 5 games the title is secured (I am in the cautious camp). Not only that but the support can sit back and enjoy entertaining football in the process, it also makes the Europa tournament a little less improbable.

Welcome back Ryan Jack
Please stop now :oops:

I have been accused of being a Ryan Jack fanboy, guilty as charged but as seen yesterday, he runs the show and quietly and effectively tidies up most of the threats before they do any damage. There are some stats showing results with and without him but it is the performances that what do it for me, flowing football in the sure knowledge Jack has things covered should things break down. He injects confidence to those in front of him and the performance of every player goes up a level.

Morelos and Kamara are lauded as fantastic signings but Ryan Jack is THE signing of the decade IMO, if he stays fit for the next 5 games the title is secured (I am in the cautious camp). Not only that but the support can sit back and enjoy entertaining football in the process, it also makes the Europa tournament a little less improbable.

Welcome back Ryan Jack
Aye and barker is Messi

I wonder is the stats would reflect this.

Like how damaged were their results without iniesta.

And how damaged are our results without jack.

I feel like our results are mike's miles better with Jack in the team. He's probably the most vital cog imho.
Stats shmats. 88% of stats are made up. 47% of people know this.

Like the "debate" over whether Messi is the greatest player in the world, or Federer is the GOAT in tennis, people will provide all sorts of stats to prove otherwise, but as Gary Neville said "sometimes you just need to go with what you can see with your own eyes".

Take the "assist" stat for example; load of pish. Say Borna puts in 10 pin point crosses, but Alfie is having an off day and fluffs all ten. Borna is denied 10 "assists" due to a team mate having a bad day. Next game, Borna has an off day, puts in 8 stinking crosses, overhit, too long, or hits first man; by luck 2 make it somewhere near the danger area, but this time Alfie is at the races, takes a good touch, spins majestically and scores each time.

Game 1 above, Borna gets 0 stats.
Game 2 above, Borna gets 2 assists.

Or what about, say, Iniesta skins the whole Real Madrid team on a wonder run, chips in brilliantly to the back post, where Neymar makes a cünt of a simple header to an open goal, and it bounces off the keeper to Messi's feet, who taps in? Messi gets 1 goal in the stats, Neymar gets 1 assist, and Iniesta gets fück all.

Or Kamara playing a simple, non-killer, bog standard pass to Defoe, who completely dummies the ball for Arfield to run on to and score vs Celtic? This actually happened in the 2-0 game at Ibrox in 2019. Kamara gets an assist, even though he never intended to play a killer ball, and Defoe gets nothing, despite being the main cause of it becoming a goal.

In short, I don't care what the stats say, there is no universe where I will agree that Ryan Jack is as important to Rangers as Iniesta was to Barcelona.

Last edited:
Seeing it's Burns night tomorrow, I give you

Ryan Jack our Iniesta, the mentally challengeds have broon, yir better wi a Ford fiesta

Thank you and good night.

Welcome back Ryan Jack
I agree with almost all your post mate but the title had me scratching my head - I think the Iniesta comparison is wrong. I know you’re not saying Jacko is the same level but they’re just completely different types of players.

I think he is more a modern version of Hemdani.
People may say that Hemdani who hardly ever went to ground or even tackled was less aggressive than Ryan.
However, the Jack that Gerrard inherited is no longer the same player.

If you watch Ryan Jack nowadays he runs about tidying up and closing down hardly putting in a full-bloodied tackle, but instead using clever reading and anticipation of the play, whilst then turning his ball-winning into smart but simple passing to his teammates and never losing the team's possession of the football.
The aggression is still there, but it is measured controlled and timed to intelligent perfection.
Now go back and look at Hemdani?

Jack is now the perfect European footballer.
He certainly never learned any of that at Aberdeen and was struggling to stay on the park before Gerrard arrived.
Today's Ryan Jack is the creation of Steven Gerrard and his coaching staff. and of course a testament to the aptitude of an excellent student.

Last edited:
I love Jack and he is very important to our squad but the comparisons between him and Iniesta start and end at the numbers they wear!

I’m a big Ryan Jack fan but I’d say he falls under the bracket of important first team player no more important than half a dozen others and probably less important than at least 2 or 3.

Great to have him back anyway.

This is what happens when folk play too many computer games. DangerZone will be along to agree with the OP shortly...

'Our' Iniesta, not THE Iniesta was stated purely to illustrate what I see in terms of the difference he makes to the team when he is in it and when he is not. Qualities Jack definitely shares with him and other great players are being cool under pressure, great reading of the game, making time and space for himself, always available for a one two and refusal to waste possession. Davis has this too but Jack just seems to be in the right place constantly, mopping up and plugging holes, allowing Tavernier and others to push forward knowing their backs are covered.

Due to susceptibility to injuries he would be unlikely to be a target for high bids and I believe that is our good fortune as I am not alone in seeing what he brings to the team. The squad depth has enabled us to cover his absence but I definitely see a significant drop in quality when he is missing.

A further bonus in my mind is the hunger he showed yesterday, looking sharp and determined to get 55 over the line, he is back just in time for the push for the title and a decent crack at success in Europe which I am sure in very much in the managers thinking.

Jack is better defensively than Iniesta.
Respectfully as much as I love Ryan Jack and welcome him back, no aspect of his game is on the same level (yet) as Iniesta.

He made football look easy on a consistent basis no matter who he played against in every game. Although not a great tackler, he would take the ball from others by his positioning, speed over a few yards and slight of foot.

Watching yesterday’s game back, it could be argued that it was one of Jack’s most memorable performances in an attacking sense for us even though he was a sub.

Jack was terrific v Ross County. I still like, when they are on form, Davis, Jack and Arfield in our midfield, certainly in the tougher matches.

Reactions: dmg
Does that make Aribo our Ronaldinho without the fake passport and millions in debt of course? B-D

Just updated stats put up by another poster, the squad is good enough to get results without Jack, but with him the performance goes up a level:

League stats for the season:

With Jack in the team:
Played 13
Conceded 0
Tav goals 7
Points 37

Without Jack in the team:
Played 12
Conceded 7
Tav goals 4
Points 32
So who do we drop for him kamara or Davis?

Definitely a stretch to compare the players but hyperbole aside I was really pleased with how Ryan Jack slotted in and looked like he had never been away. The competition in midfield area is strong and the plyers have collectively raised their levels. Sometimes the midfield work goes under the radar as they don't get high amout of goals Jack , Kamara and Davis but they are vital to how we play.

Not known for dribbling, according to one Bear Pit genius a year or so ago.

Another claimed "Xavi doesn't deserve to be anywhere near an all-time Champions League XI"

And yet another claimed Gascoigne was better than Michael Laudrup, and in the top 5 players of all time.

About 2/3 weeks ago someone said he'd take Richard Gough over Sergio Ramos! :D

He might not be Iniesta but we are a far better side with Jack in it than we are when he’s out

The amount of posters who always seem desperate for Jack to be no more than a squad player has been strange over last few seasons, an integral part of our side

Jack's a great player against the bigger teams and in Europe. However when we're playing teams domestically who just park the bus, there's no real need for us to have two holding midfielders. Then between Jack, Davis and Kamara, Jack is probably the lesser of the three technically.

Welcome back Ryan Jack

trust me you are

Welcome back Ryan Jack
Initially I was never a Jack fan as he seemed to slow everything down as he is too one footed so he took a long time to win me over.

However, for the reasons you have stated, we are much better when he plays and even having him as an option from the bench makes a huge difference.

I would also like him to go to the Euros and then seriously consider retiring from International Football since, as SG says, his game time now has to be managed.

Depends on the opposition but for Wednesday I'd have Davis on the bench and rest Jack on 60 minutes if required
It's good to have him back for squad rotation and everything as I said I do rate him he's a good player that does dirty side of game very well.
Way you've worded this post tho you would think he's better than both Davis and Kamara and one of them will have to drop out for him automatically and I need to disagree with that.

It's good to have him back for squad rotation and everything as I said I do rate him he's a good player that does dirty side of game very well.
Way you've worded this post tho you would think he's better than both Davis and Kamara and one of them will have to drop out for him automatically and I need to disagree with that.
Agree to differ mate, I'd have Jack first if fit and build around that, great to have the options now though, I think the manager has the same view BTW, he has 4 or 5 he sees as first picks if fit and builds around that.

He brings a balance to the midfield we just dont have without him. I dont think its coincidence that since he has been out we have looked more likely to conced goals and yes I know we haven't but teams have got at our defence more easily.

The tougher the match, the more vital Ryan Jack is.

A true unsung hero.

Agree to differ mate, I'd have Jack first if fit and build around that, great to have the options now though, I think the manager has the same view BTW, he has 4 or 5 he sees as first picks if fit and builds around that.

All 3 have different attributes, think Davis and Kamara are far better ball players and stats reflect that for instance kamara has highest % pass completion rate in entire league whereas Davis has the biggest pass range while he dictates play better than anyone aswell.
Jack best attribute is how he does the dirty work.
I'd definitely have Jack in for European games and better opponents.
I think we have missed Arfield far more than Jack just my opinion

I think he is more a modern version of Hemdani.
People may say that Hemdani who hardly ever went to ground or even tackled was less aggressive than Ryan.
However, the Jack that Gerrard inherited is no longer the same player.

If you watch Ryan Jack nowadays he runs about tidying up and closing down hardly putting in a full-bloodied tackle, but instead using clever reading and anticipation of the play, whilst then turning his ball-winning into smart but simple passing to his teammates and never losing the team's possession of the football.
The aggression is still there, but it is measured controlled and timed to intelligent perfection.
Now go back and look at Hemdani?

Jack is now the perfect European footballer.
He certainly never learned any of that at Aberdeen and was struggling to stay on the park before Gerrard arrived.
Today's Ryan Jack is the creation of Steven Gerrard and his coaching staff. and of course a testament to the aptitude of an excellent student.
Jack has improved so much as a player and changed his style to suit, probably working with Gerrard but definitely playing and training alongside Steven Davis who is head and shoulders above Ryan Jack.
That is not a criticism of Jack but I’m sure plenty will disagree.

I'm the opposite mate, I think Jack has improved under Gerrard, learnt from Davis and surpassed him in his all round game. When he came on Saturday it was like a £10m signing had just been added to the team.

Back