Ryan Jack - Source of Negativity? or is it lack of Movement in front of him

Captain_Buns

I like Jack and will admit to expecting much more from him tonight given the opponents.

Every pass tonight was to the side and he showed nothing creative for me - is he the source of the problem or is it our inability to pull players out of position.
Ryan Jack isn’t good enough for where we want to be

Prod Wallace

In terms of lack of movement and Ryan jack specifically.

On the ball, he plays looking at his feet. So pretty much any moves up top is pointless. You can't pass the ball any sort of distance looking constantly at your feet.

He's not a quarterback, he's a ball carrier.

TPP

He was terrible tonight, a real cowards performance from him and the rest of the midfield.

Jamie_the_teddy_bear

Absolutely no movement in front of him, at points i am in the broomie rear, there was about 6 players spread in front on him in a static position, pathetic nonsense!! He had no movement in front of him whatsoever

Trueblueallan

For me Ryan Jack should never really play at Ibrox. European away type player. When you’re looking to go and attack teams and have players who can generate attack’s from ball winning, IMO he doesn’t come into that bracket. Not saying he’s a bad player but slows the game down to much for me and is always looking for a side pass.

SwingLow9

I like Jack and will admit to expecting much more from him tonight given the opponents.

Every pass tonight was to the side and he showed nothing creative for me - is he the source of the problem or is it our inability to pull players out of position.
He was far better than the 2 rockets next to him. Pissing against the wind all night.

DC Anchor

Jack is a squad player at best, he usually gives 100% and does not hide, unlike Ejaria and Coulibaly,
but he is limited in talent and combined with Ejaria and Coulibaly will not be part of a title winning midfield.

The only solution to this is better quality players.
That requires money- a significant amount of it. there is no way around this!

Jaws II

Ryan Jack is a sitting/holding midfielder, his job is basically a facilitator. He gets on the ball and gives it to the players there to create. He protects our back four.

The glaring lack of creativity against teams who sit in cannot and should not be laid at Jack's door.

Last night we had two full-backs who created nothing going forward, two wide-men who couldn't beat a carpet and two midfielders who didn't have a single positive effect on the 90mins.

Ryan Jack,along with McGregor and the two centre-backs largely did what he is there to do. If we're looking to aportion blame then the six I've mentioned plus Morelos are where that blame should be aportioned.

The selection of Flanagan in particular, in a game where we knew we'd have so much of the ball was baffling.
What you said is his job he didn’t do that either.

He gets on the ball , takes an eternity to move and makes sideways passes to either side. He takes no responsibility and was allowing CHs to make aimless punts up the park.
When he did try to make any passes they are always behind players slowing the game down further.
In games like this when teams defend he is useless. He has no pace or urgency or vision and when we get caught on the counter he is nowhere near the defence to help.
Everyone last night was rotten no doubt about this but I didn’t see much difference from Jacks performance from all our losses at home last season.

Our midfielders are mostly apart from Arfield one dimensional or too inexperienced and it is a mistake for both Jack and Coulibaly to play. I think Coulibaly at the start of the season offered far more than Jack has ever done but both are pretty poor just now.

SecondBestIsNothing

This is it. Its not his job to create.

Although I do think his range of passing was poor at times, but I wouldn't be dropping or complaining about him.
But they're not so as a CM he should take responsibility and try and make things happen, tell the other two to cover him if they want to hide, no CM regardless of their role should shirk responsibility when a team like us are creating so little. Put it this way, it doesn't matter who in the mhanky mhob played in that position, if the tempo is too slow and they aren't creating their holding midfielders would take responsibility.

Hemdani

But they're not so as a CM he should take responsibility and try and make things happen, tell the other two to cover him if they want to hide, no CM regardless of their role should shirk responsibility when a team like us are creating so little. Put it this way, it doesn't matter who in the mhanky mhob played in that position, if the tempo is too slow and they aren't creating their holding midfielders would take responsibility.
Thats just not the way it works.

Jack isn’t creative but he is good at his job. If the midfielders aren’t creative enough its down to Gerrard to sort that out, not for Jack to go out of position and start doing things he isn’t great at.

SecondBestIsNothing

Thats just not the way it works.

Jack isn’t creative but he is good at his job. If the midfielders aren’t creative enough its down to Gerrard to sort that out, not for Jack to go out of position and start doing things he isn’t great at.
That's partly true but it his part of his job to create, a holding midfielder should be a key part of setting a tempo and driving your team, just look at your man that's your DP, Busquets or anyone else in that position, they'll collect the ball from defenders (which Jack rarely did last night, hence why Goldson and McAuley had so much of the ball) and if they collect the ball and there is not a great pass forward on, move it sideways and drive into space with one-two's, commit players, try and make something happen rather than just go, "that's not my job" like you're the paint guy from Still Game.

Blue Willie

The two loan players in midfield were absolutely rotten last night i would drop both of them for Dundee Game. The only players from last night that got pass marks were McGregor and Jack the rest didn't perform. Morelos and Lafferty had a competition too see who would be sent off first.

Barryhopez

He's not deployed to be the creative midfielder it seems that some expect. There was a wall of red shirts last night and he was forced to play the ball from side to side or backwards, and he'll rarely offer that 'one two' and outfox a defence or play that killer pass.

I think people need ot appreciate that each player has a role in the team and some are better at doing things than others.

Jaws II

The two loan players in midfield were absolutely rotten last night i would drop both of them for Dundee Game. The only players from last night that got pass marks were McGregor and Jack the rest didn't perform. Morelos and Lafferty had a competition too see who would be sent off first.
Jack did nothing the whole match. He took no responsibility and gave a cowardly performance.
This match was typical of him when we struggle to break down a defensive team, he offers nothing.
Even this mythical nonsense that he breaks down play and he is “neat” is just ridiculous.
Wtf does neat mean? Sideways 5 yard passes?

I want a defensive mid to be able to win the ball, retain possession when on the ball and to look to make passes that can get us into attack quickly when needed. He should be able to control the pace of the game and allow the more expressive players and wide players to do their job.

The problem is I can make these criticisms of our whole team apart from shagger. They all were a disgrace last night and shat in the lap of the manager and the fans.
They destroyed all the supports confidence and trust in the team last night and now we are worried not just about Dundee this weekend but even more so with Hibs and Celtic games coming where they will raise their games.

All of our players as stated were rotten the problem with Jack is I don’t see him playing much better than he did last night. Arfield is the only quality midfielder we have and the rest have to step up and get results until we can do something in January.

KensingtonBlue

I feel like Gerrard is trying to emulate Benitez’ tactics from when he was successful with Liverpool.

Rafa used two holding mids, one destroyer (Mascherano) and one ball player (Xabi Alonso). This gave Gerrard freedom to go forward.

The only problem is this works in Europe and against top EPL sides but it’s unnecessary in Scotland. You need a different approach to break down sides who play backs to the wall.

Also, Jack isn’t good enough as a destroyer, not does he have the passing range to play the deep playmaker. So what does he actually bring? Not to mention the insanity of playing Coulibaly in a Xabi Alonso type role.

The whole midfield needs ripped up and started again.

Theresa May

As many have stated above, Jack should never be judged on his ability to affect the game in an offensive sense, that's not what his role is. If we have a properly balanced midfield, Jack is capable of being an integral part of that midfield. The problem last night, and more broadly this season, is that he has 2 people infront of him who are not of the required standard for a title challenging Rangers side. A proper box to box player and a quality No.10 recruited in Jan will see Jack show his true value.

Jaws II

So why didn’t he do it?

Also why is that position needed in the team when they have their whole team back defending.
We need midfielders to run at them to create space and movement for wide players and attackers. His distribution of the ball was behind our wide players or a crab like movement to either side and give the ball for the CH to aimlessly punt it forward for a 5ft 8 striker.

SuperGers07

Bog standard spl level player.

His long term future should be elsewhere, cos it certainly won't happen here.

allyballyalbertz

His job as far as I can see is to hold the ball, keep it, and make a pass to the forward midfielders or wingers, he did that.
He isn't a playmaker, he's a retainer, and calmer in the midfield. I'd like him to do more, but I think he had little work with or feed off of.
I think he's great at that, but coulibally and Ejaria were well off last night, candieas and tav tried down the right, nothing doing, Middleton had flanagan behind him who offers very little to nothing in attack, Middletons a talented wee boy who lacked confidence taking folks on last night I think.
So id say Jack was not the problem.
Even McGregor having to scream at goldson and McCauley to get the ball forward tells us there was something wrong with the mentality last night.

I also think the delivery to morelos was very poor, he needs more than 2 or 3 chances to score, he was given very little, so when the chances dont come his desperation to score increases, so he gets involved, looks to steal the ball, his first foul was pointless leading to a yellow, and the second was just immature, he will grow up with age, he doesn't realise just how unnecessary it is, until he does we'll have more of the same.
Shame, I thought he was doing better.

SDF

He's alright. But he isn't a play maker and has zero passing range...not his job though.
If Jack as a highly paid professional player cannot play a decent forward pass then we're doing something badly wrong.

Nobody expects him to beat two and three men. But the idea that he cannot get the ball 25 yards from our goal and drive us 25/30 yards further up the pitch is ludicrous IMO.

He constantly shirked responsibility last night. It simply wasn't good enough. Every pass went sideways or backwards.

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
I'm trying to be positive these days Sir Dunc!!!

Inside I'm screaming "How can you not use your left foot?!?! How can a 20 yard pass be like building a space rocket?!"

Reactions: SDF

Alex Venters

What you said is his job he didn’t do that either.

He gets on the ball , takes an eternity to move and makes sideways passes to either side. He takes no responsibility and was allowing CHs to make aimless punts up the park.
When he did try to make any passes they are always behind players slowing the game down further.
In games like this when teams defend he is useless. He has no pace or urgency or vision and when we get caught on the counter he is nowhere near the defence to help.
Everyone last night was rotten no doubt about this but I didn’t see much difference from Jacks performance from all our losses at home last season.

Our midfielders are mostly apart from Arfield one dimensional or too inexperienced and it is a mistake for both Jack and Coulibaly to play. I think Coulibaly at the start of the season offered far more than Jack has ever done but both are pretty poor just now.
If where we want to be is battling it out with the likes of Killie, Aberdeen & Hearts for 2nd place then you're correct.

If we actually want to be winning trophies again then we'll need significantly better than Ryan Jack.
It's all about balance friend.

Even against teams that come to sit in you still need to keep the back door shut.

The players tasked with creating the play last night failed, not Ryan Jack.

Alex Venters

If Jack as a highly paid professional player cannot play a decent forward pass then we're doing something badly wrong.

Nobody expects him to beat two and three men. But the idea that he cannot get the ball 25 yards from our goal and drive us 25/30 yards further up the pitch is ludicrous IMO.

He constantly shirked responsibility last night. It simply wasn't good enough. Every pass went sideways or backwards.
If there's little or no movement ahead of him and nobody in space who's he meant to pass to?

Alex Venters

He's not deployed to be the creative midfielder it seems that some expect. There was a wall of red shirts last night and he was forced to play the ball from side to side or backwards, and he'll rarely offer that 'one two' and outfox a defence or play that killer pass.

I think people need ot appreciate that each player has a role in the team and some are better at doing things than others.
A point that seems beyond 99% of posters last night and this morning.

Jaws II

Your spot on Dunc.

Even his so called good points breaking up play and being “neat””, whatever the %^*& that means?, I don’t think he does that either.
As you say every pass is behind players.
Everyone was shit last night but at some point this season most of them have played well, I can’t say that for Jack.
What he is supposed to do he doesn’t do that either and he doesn’t have the game to do what you are asking.
Arfield badly needs 2 quality mids next to him.

Vamos_buffalo

Personally don’t think he’s as good as made out on here. Never drives forward or plays a forward pass. Is slow on the ball.

Offersnothing im afraid and if we want to win titles we need better than him in midfield

TinyRick

Disagree with this , Ejaria and Coulibaly despite being poor for a good few matches now are still better players than Ryan Jack. He offers nothing to a Rangers team that needs to attack and put teams under pressure at Ibrox.
His movement is slow, takes an age to move with the ball and generally makes a 5 yard pass to the player close him.
Doesn’t take a game by the scruff of the neck and get the ball moving.
I grow weary of his passes behind our wide players.

All 3 aren’t good enough but Jack offers no assists, no goals and doesn’t particularly offer much as a defensive mid either.
What he offers is what was missing under Warburton - a proper defensive midfielder who reads the game, snuffing out a lot of opposition moves from his positioning alone - Much like Hemdani, who for a long time was subject to similar threads because for some reason, we've got plenty who want a defensive midfielder to be making last ditch tackles. If they're doing that, then they're failing to do their job by not reading the game.

RFC4ME

It's the Colubially, Flanagn and Candieas bits that cause us deeper issues I feel.

Coulibally is supposed to be the guy with a pass
Flanagan should offer better width, an over lapping run, just some form of shape and a decent entry into midfield
Candieas needs to be able to come inside and play as a 10 and take the ball with his back to goal rather than simply playing right.

We should look to solve all 3 issues then you wouldn't notice the holding midfielder and question why said player isn't creating.