Ryan Jack - Source of Negativity? or is it lack of Movement in front of him

yarrumdavid01

The two centre half’s came forward with the ball far more than Jack last night.

Even when they passed to him in space, he passed it back to them.

Not good enough. I also think either Coulibaly should be playing there as he at least moves forward with the ball

DavieC1953

Our forward movement last night was very poor and Arfield was badly missed.
We lacked any real edge and were far too methodical in our build up play,with our attacking midfielders and forwards sometimes not offering themselves as a target.
Last night wasn't down to Ryan Jack alone , we had failures all over the park and the result is a major warning to us about what can go wrong when we dont play at 100%.
SG needs to sort this out.
Personally I think Alfredo needs a good slap to get him to stop playing like a petulent wee boy.
How many times do we need to be faced with playing with 10 men because of Alfredos' immaturity and stupidity.
It's not f*cking good enough.
If he wasnt such a good striker he would be out the door as far as im concerned.

Jaws II

It's all about balance friend.

Even against teams that come to sit in you still need to keep the back door shut.

The players tasked with creating the play last night failed, not Ryan Jack.
He didn’t do that either.

They caught us on the counter a few times, where was he ?
Floating about the half way line as usual.

He has no pace or vision to see a pass and as Sir Dunc says cant even carry the ball 20 metres which will allow other midfielders and wide players to run and make space.
All we get is the shirking of responsibility and sideways passes. Since we signed him in every big game he has been invisible.

RFC4ME

. Since we signed him in every big game he has been invisible.
No he hasn't - in an attempt to make your point seem valid it instead just comes across like you pick and choose your games if that is your legitimate view.

Jaws II

What he offers is what was missing under Warburton - a proper defensive midfielder who reads the game, snuffing out a lot of opposition moves from his positioning alone - Much like Hemdani, who for a long time was subject to similar threads because for some reason, we've got plenty who want a defensive midfielder to be making last ditch tackles. If they're doing that, then they're failing to do their job by not reading the game.
He isn’t in the same ball park as Hemdani.

I was a big Hemdani supporter on here when others were shouting for Thompson to be played instead.
Brahmin was calm, never gave the ball away and always found his player. He would carry the ball to half way and play a pass in front of his man.
He would break down attacks by taking the ball of the toes of the opposition to allow us to quickly counter attack.

Jack does none of this, he is slow and ponderous and slows down the pace of the game when we need to be increasing it.
In games like last night he is as about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Macdonsj

Jacks performance was summed up early in the 2nd half

we had then pinned down and the pressure was building
another clearance found him and he was lazy with a pass - they attacked and we struggled to get that pressure back up again

Jaws II

No he hasn't - in an attempt to make your point seem valid it instead just comes across like you pick and choose your games if that is your legitimate view.
Hibs games last year, the Celtic games he took part in, look at our home record last year and the record home losses.
His best games have been away from home or when having to cope with some pressure from teams who attacked us. Ironically his best game was in the 3-0 win against Aberdeen when McCrorie played his role.

The main point is in a game where a team sits back and defends and relies on set pieces or a quick counter he offers the team nothing.

As I have said the whole team was shit last night and we could do a similar critique of every outfield player, however I don’t think Jack is good enough to play for a Rangers team that wants to win titles.

Sebo1872

Jack is a defensive midfielder, his primary focus is to win the ball back and keep it moving, he isn't or shouldn't be expected to be playing through balls for the rest of the team.

The lack of movement last night was shambolic and when we did get the ball everyone wanted to take a few touches and pass it with rarely anyone looking to make the difference themselves.

ricksen24

Jack is not the problem.

To play this system you need a 'holder' its the other two central midfielders jobs to be creative.

The best example of this in the world is Busquets at Barca different level altogether same principles though.

It all falls back on the loan players not being good enough.

YoungGer97

Ryan Jack, the two centre backs and James Tavernier were the only players doing what they were supposed to be doing last night. Jack is frustrating because he passes sideways to another man but that is literally his job, win the ball or intercept and pass to someone more creative. He intercepted and won the ball several times last night despite what many in here are trying to say.

The problem with the midfield last night was glaring. We were playing hoofball towards Aberdeen all night long, just like they wanted, not only that, Coulibaly and Ejaria were positioned along their backline, we were playing the entire game with 5 and sometimes 7 men along their defensive line, nobody was offering themselves or coming short for the ball all night long.

Also, ive seen from several people now that James Tavernier 'went hiding'. That is total nonsense, absolute nonsense. He is one player who never hides. Their left back was actually brilliant last night believe it or not.

Macdonsj

he is billed as a holding player
yet he struggles with the taking the ball off the defence part & isn't as clincal in tackling as he should be

going forward he offers nothing at all
we seem to be getting a one burst into the "redzone" per game with him not knowing what to do when he gets there

but that last part applies to all three last night

chilebear

So why didn’t he do it?

Also why is that position needed in the team when they have their whole team back defending.
We need midfielders to run at them to create space and movement for wide players and attackers. His distribution of the ball was behind our wide players or a crab like movement to either side and give the ball for the CH to aimlessly punt it forward for a 5ft 8 striker.
Because you still need someone sitting. How man times have we been sucker punched into a goal by pushing evetyone forward? It happened a lot under warburton.
We missed Arfield and we need to sign another Arfield.

Bluethruandthru

No disrespect to the boy because he gives his all but Jack is a midfielder with extremely limited ability. Sure he's capable of breaking up play and diving into tackles but he instinctively looks for the sideways or backwards pass ALL THE TIME . He very rarely dictates a game or inspires others around him by bringing them into play. We already have young McCrorie on our books who can do all that and arguably better than Jack can.

RFC4ME

Hibs games last year, the Celtic games he took part in, look at our home record last year and the record home losses.
His best games have been away from home or when having to cope with some pressure from teams who attacked us. Ironically his best game was in the 3-0 win against Aberdeen when McCrorie played his role.

The main point is in a game where a team sits back and defends and relies on set pieces or a quick counter he offers the team nothing.

As I have said the whole team was shit last night and we could do a similar critique of every outfield player, however I don’t think Jack is good enough to play for a Rangers team that wants to win titles.
He missed a large chunk of our home games last year as he was injured, so no I won't look at our home record and link it to poor performances from him.... if anything I would look at it and say the correlation was shit results came more frequent when Jack wasn't there... you have also picked our home record last season rather than this for some bizarre reason.... last season we sacked 2 managers basically that suggests more to do with our home record than an individual player.

The main point is you said he has been invisible in every big game, he hasn't its a fabrication of BS to try and make your point seem valid, a point you yourself made redundant in your own post by praising his display in.... a big game.

wilso10

He actually keeps the ball and plays it simple.

As a defensive midfielder, some seem to have a problem with that which is really weird.

Jaws II

Ryan Jack, the two centre backs and James Tavernier were the only players doing what they were supposed to be doing last night. Jack is frustrating because he passes sideways to another man but that is literally his job, win the ball or intercept and pass to someone more creative. He intercepted and won the ball several times last night despite what many in here are trying to say.

The problem with the midfield last night was glaring. We were playing hoofball towards Aberdeen all night long, just like they wanted, not only that, Coulibaly and Ejaria were positioned along their backline, we were playing the entire game with 5 and sometimes 7 men along their defensive line, nobody was offering themselves or coming short for the ball all night long.

Also, ive seen from several people now that James Tavernier 'went hiding'. That is total nonsense, absolute nonsense. He is one player who never hides. Their left back was actually brilliant last night believe it or not.
The role of a defensive mid is not to make sideways passes.
He should be mobile enough to get back and help central defence and provide cover when the full backs move up.
He should also be mobile enough to get on the ball and quickly turn the direction of the game by carrying the ball to allow our wide players and more creative mids to find space and then find them with a pass.
He failed in both parts of this.

He took no responsibility, never moved with the ball and made passes backwards or sideways to his CHs.
When he did try to play a pass to Middleton or Candeias it was always behind them.

I am sorry that it is just Jack that is being discussed as every out field player last night was rotten.

Mview83

Official Ticketer
He isn’t good enough for us for where we want to be - a league winning team.

A1bertz

He's a backs to the wall safety player. We are at home against premier League shite. We need a different kind of player for that. A midfider who can tackle, pass, attack and shoot. The opposite of the safety Jack offers.

The midfield ain't working and he's not the only one. It's time we tried something different.
Arfield, McCrorie, Rossiter ?
Arfield, McCrorie, Ejaria ?
Got to mix it up. The combos we are trying are shite.

Gascoigne8

Jack is simply not good enough

He hides behind his man so much for a midfielder

Doesn’t get involved in the play

Offers virtually nothing going forward

Isn’t very good at protecting the back 4 either

adamski

I don't expect him to be a first team regular next season. I thought he started the season brightly, hoping he proves me wrong, but he's a stop gap long term. He's not alone in that.

dudzo

Official Ticketer
I would be amazed if he was in the top 5 for tackles won in the league. Needs a kick up the Jacksie

davmcc

Official Ticketer
Bog standard spl level player.

His long term future should be elsewhere, cos it certainly won't happen here.
7 of your last 10 posts are having a go at Jack.

Give it a rest!

He wasn't great last night but was still far better than Coulibaly and Ejaria.

Manno

I like Jack and will admit to expecting much more from him tonight given the opponents.

Every pass tonight was to the side and he showed nothing creative for me - is he the source of the problem or is it our inability to pull players out of position.
He's never going to play a 70 yard pass or try and take the ball out from the back like other players can. His job is simple and he does it well most of the time. He's been breaking forward and then not being used, which leaves a gap in the midfield. In saying that, I think McCrorie and Rossiter deserve a chance on Sunday, which would mean playing Jack is unlikely.
Ejaria constantly wants to drop back and get the ball, but he does very little with it. Coulibaly looks off the pace, which isn't great for a box-to-box player; he isn't a defensive mid in my opinion. We missed Arfield but I don't think the left hand side helped us at all; Middleton and Flanagan don't have the same on-pitch relationship that Barisic and even Halliday have developed with the wingers. Halliday could have been slotted into the left of the midfield three.
I felt at half time we could have made more changes - Lafferty and Halliday on for Ejaria/Coulibaly and Flanagan and go with a 4-4-2 against their 4-2-3-0.

Brasstacks

There was no bravery in the midfield 3.

To those questioning what Arfield brought / brings to the party, last night showed you in spades - bravery on the ball.

Mview83

Official Ticketer
7 of your last 10 posts are having a go at Jack.

Give it a rest!

He wasn't great last night but was still far better than Coulibaly and Ejaria.
None of midfield three from last night are good enough for a Rangers winning midfield. That’s not having a go, it’s just a fact.

The Busby Bear

As many have mentioned, he's a deep lying holding midfielder who's job is to win back possession and play it to others who have the responsibility and attributes to do that. Unfortunately he had nothing to play too. Ejaria went sideways or passed back to McAuley 99% of the time and Coulibaly looks aimless in possession.

Mview83

Official Ticketer
As many have mentioned, he's a deep lying holding midfielder who's job is to win back possession and play it to others who have the responsibility and attributes to do that. Unfortunately he had nothing to play too. Ejaria went sideways or passed back to McAuley 99% of the time and Coulibaly looks aimless in possession.
Ryan Jack as the senior player in midfield last night should have been going back and taking the ball from then centre backs and building play. He shirked that many times sadly. The midfield trio were awful last night.

bluebells272

Official Ticketer
McInnes got his tactics right regarding Jack, whether we like it or not. Lewis Ferguson marked Jack out the game first half, followed him absolutely everywhere and nullified his usual game.

Not sure about the pass marks, but he was a long way from the worst on the park. It's laughable to say he hid and shirked responsibility.

KimStelper

Coulibaly and Ejara are supposed to be the creators in midfield and both of them are failing badly, January should be focused on replacing at least 1 of them.

Their lack of creativity and ability leaves us toothless.

CaptainCourageous

Ryan Jack is not in the side to create.

That people still can't grasp this after two seasons beggars belief.
Where did I say Jack is in there to create?

Bang on average defensive midfielder who's distribution is poor, rarely steps up in the bigger games and is easily caught out of position. Barely kicks a ball in the bigger games, isn't brave enough on the ball and when he finds himself on the edge of the opposition's area, time and time again wastes possession. For a midfielder of any sorts at our level to be that poor in the final third is crap.

Shinnie would be a better option for us than Jack and I don't want him any where near Rangers.

Squad player fair enough, the mainstay of our team and midfield then we aren't winning much with players like Jack in there.

Coulibaly and Ejaria provide next to no creativity so they need addressed as well.

DarthVader

The only thing Ryan Jack can pass is the buck.

One dimensional, one paced.

Reminds me of Derek McInnes as a player in style and quality.

Not good enough.

cloodie

This is it. Its not his job to create.

Although I do think his range of passing was poor at times, but I wouldn't be dropping or complaining about him.
I really like Jack as a player but this idea that you have midfielders who aren't their to create is ridiculous. I remember Souness having a rant about 'defensive' midfielders a while back and he was spot on.