Ryan Jack - Source of Negativity? or is it lack of Movement in front of him

SE5

I like Jack and will admit to expecting much more from him tonight given the opponents.

Every pass tonight was to the side and he showed nothing creative for me - is he the source of the problem or is it our inability to pull players out of position.

Watch the first 30 mins against Hearts again, we miss him when he not there. The problem is at Ibrox against a team that sits back v us we don't need him and Coullibaly, Arfield was a huge miss tonight.

He is a sitting midfielder, a very good one at that, breaking up play taking the ball in tight areas.

Going by men and creating things aren’t attributes he has.

He is also terribly one footed, hadn’t actually noticed until recently, appears his left is for standing only.

No one would care about Jack if we had better midfielders in front of him doing what they should

He is supposed to be bringing the ball forward as the focus of the mid 3. Every pass is behind players, can’t do anything quickly and rarely moves from the half way line.
It is a cowardly performance as he takes no responsibility.
The other 2 were bypassed and due to their inexperience could cope with the pressure, this is what happens when you play 2 loan players in midfield with not much first team experience.

He is a sitting midfielder, a very good one at that, breaking up play taking the ball in tight areas.

Going by men and creating things aren’t attributes he has.

He is also terribly one footed, hadn’t actually noticed until recently, appears his left is for standing only.

He doesn’t break up play in tight areas he was a ghost on that park tonight.

Taking the ball?

He hid and allowed the CHs to punt the ball the whole match and when he did have it he shirked responsibility by passing 3 yards to the closest player next to him.
In games like this he is as useful as a chocolate teapot, he offers the team nothing when needing to get a victory.

I think mainly there was nothing happening in front of him. He is usually very tidy in his own role.

However on nights like tonight where we're crying out for something special he seems to lack the ability to pull out a defence splitting pass out of the blue from deep, or to pick moment to abandon his defensive duties for a few seconds to ghost into the box late and get a shot off.

Ryan is there to break up play and recicle the ball. Hes not a box to box stand out play maker that evetyone expects

So what does he bring to the table say when aberdeen go down to 10 and are sitting in allowing us to come on?

Is jack that one dimensional that he can’t switch up his game to allow forward thinking passing and runs beyond the back line?

If this is all that’s in Jacks locker then we are heading nowhere fast, same goes for Coulibaly

I'm not seeing it with Jack at the moment tbh. He isn't breaking up play as effectively as he has done previously and as such offers very little.

It's a midfield where all of them, Arfield apart, go safe all the time when in possession. That results in the ineffective side to side game we saw tonight. We desperately need someone who doesn't simply recycle the ball in there.

Even Docherty would be a different option.

So what does he bring to the table say when aberdeen go down to 10 and are sitting in allowing us to come on?

Is jack that one dimensional that he can’t switch up his game to allow forward thinking passing and runs beyond the back line?

If this is all that’s in Jacks locker then we are heading nowhere fast, same goes for Coulibaly
He stayed on while Coulibaly went off for an attacking player while the rse tried to get forward. Thats why Tav was more forward while Jack sat back to cover.

He doesn’t break up play in tight areas he was a ghost on that park tonight.

Taking the ball?

He hid and allowed the CHs to punt the ball the whole match and when he did have it he shirked responsibility by passing 3 yards to the closest player next to him.
In games like this he is as useful as a chocolate teapot, he offers the team nothing when needing to get a victory.

I didn’t just mean tonight, just in general that is his role.

I think tonight’s tactics, team selection and substitutions are of more concern than Jack’s performance, Christ he came as close as anyone to scoring tonight.

Either the players didn’t listen or our tactics were p!sh and predictable.

Arfield + Jack + 1 player at least as good as Arfield. That's what we need in the middle come January.

Disagree with this , Ejaria and Coulibaly despite being poor for a good few matches now are still better players than Ryan Jack. He offers nothing to a Rangers team that needs to attack and put teams under pressure at Ibrox.
His movement is slow, takes an age to move with the ball and generally makes a 5 yard pass to the player close him.
Doesn’t take a game by the scruff of the neck and get the ball moving.
I grow weary of his passes behind our wide players.

All 3 aren’t good enough but Jack offers no assists, no goals and doesn’t particularly offer much as a defensive mid either.

He's Gerrard's blindspot. For a midfielder not to get assists/score goals/run forward with the ball, he'd have to absolutely dominate the opposition physically in the middle of the pitch to justify inclusion. Jack doesn't do that (although incidentally, McCrorie would!)

Last edited:
Disagree with this , Ejaria and Coulibaly despite being poor for a good few matches now are still better players than Ryan Jack. He offers nothing to a Rangers team that needs to attack and put teams under pressure at Ibrox.
His movement is slow, takes an age to move with the ball and generally makes a 5 yard pass to the player close him.

All 3 aren’t good enough but Jack offers no assists, no goals and doesn’t particularly offer much as a defensive mid either.

It's unreasonable to expect a midfield 3 all chipping in meaningfully with the attacking when we've also got 3 up front and our two full-backs pushing forward aggressively on top of that. We need at least one guy sitting to tidy things up and do the simple ball-recycle stuff, otherwise, we'll be lambs to the slaughter.

Do I think he's the long-term solution? Possibly not, but I'm also not expecting us to wade into the January transfer-window and get two big-money midfielders. For me, our problem is creating things from midfield. Arfield does it, but we need another midfielder at least as good as him who's capable of doing it too because Ejaria and Coulibaly aren't doing it often enough and obviously Jack isn't instructed to do it.

The problem is not being good enough at creating from midfield, which is more in Ejaria/Coulibaly's wheelhouse than it is Jack's.

Took 3 or4 touches whilst running 10 yards then passing the ball 5 yards ,usually to the side ,instead of 1 touch and fire the pass.How the hell do you build up attacks against a defensive team playing like that.No wonder we had no momentum.

Your entitled to your opinion on all 3 but I disagree with absolutely everything there, Coulibaly started on fire and has fallen away to nothing and Ejaria for me has been a complete disaster due to being to fleet footed, slow and negative, by that I mean slows the game down and despite tricking a player ouside the opponents box we some how find it back in the defence or worse at McGregors feet on regularly and doesn't drive forward enough in just about every game, the odd game he has looked ok has been we he has driven at teams, jack is never a world beater but he makes way more good choices in his passing and in his tackling than bad ones and that's why I would take jack over those 2, btw I only rated Jack as a 4 out of 10 tonight but he was still miles ahead of the other 2 .

The midfield has players doing the same job instead of havin one that takes the ball forward to link up with the frontman.

Midfield just holding the ball then one bad pass and we are chasing again.

And a striker is also needed, a guy that has the mobility to latch onto a ball and shoot.

I always expect Jack to shine against the sheep and to ram (no pun intended) it right up them , considering the grief and abuse they give him. So far it just aint happenin'

For me, he is too negative and when he plays our attacking play suffers. Everything seems slowed down. We have got the attacking players to win games easily. He didn't play on Sunday and we created so many chances.

I like Jack and will admit to expecting much more from him tonight given the opponents.

Every pass tonight was to the side and he showed nothing creative for me - is he the source of the problem or is it our inability to pull players out of position.
Without doubt, the lack of movement up front last night was shocking.

For me, he is too negative and when he plays our attacking play suffers. Everything seems slowed down. We have got the attacking players to win games easily. He didn't play on Sunday and we created so many chances.
Could that not be that we did play Arfield and that we weren’t up against ten defenders?
Jack is not Barry Ferguson when it comes to picking a pass, opening a defence.

Juup Heynkes Munich manager said give me an attack minded player and I will teach him to break play up, don't give me a defensive midfielder.

People saying we need him next week against Vienna. That statement personifies how far we have fallen from the likes of Hemdani.

Jack can't put his foot on the ball, he is nervous, the ball is a hot potatoes when he gets it.

Actually you can pick holes on all 5 players last night including the 2 wingers.

Amazing last week he was great today he’s rubbish. Majority of the team had a bad game , they just couldn’t get one touch football going . One of the reasons believe or not there was another team on the park. After they got the goal they man marked silly fouls every feckin minute slowing the game down . If the referee had done his jobs and booked a couple of them could’ve made a difference.
The one thing it does let us down big time is individual players taking men on . that’s what Kent does he runs at them takes them on. So frustrating.

We missed him at tynecastle shows you what jack brings to the team,but he did not have the best of games last night along with the rest of them.

He's part of the problem. His distribution is awful. Our midfield options just are not good enough (excluding Arfield).

Another big games goes by Ryan Jack.

For me, he would improve the general speed of play by upping the tempo of his passing. The holding midfield role is to break up play but also start new attacks. Last night Aberdeen sat back in numbers and left Goldson and McAuley with the ball and they ended up having to find men with little to no movement making this very difficult. I expected a lot more ownership from the midfield but it did not happen. Not one of our better games.

There’s a severe lack of options for us moving up the park which isn’t helped by the slow tempo we need to be quicker

Doesn’t do enough for me. In fact his negativity and slow ponderous play kills me.

The entire midfield was the problem last night however.

I would give McCrorie a chance in there with Rossiter against Dundee. Jack for me has it all to prove. He may come good with better players around him and he does a certain job for the team but he is part of a huge problem we have in midfield for me.
Our centre backs have nobody to pass too. Our midfield is like headless chickens scared to do anything. Coulibaly needs dropped completely from the squad never mind the team. Ejaria needs to play further forwarda nd actually do something in games. He is far to lad back for me. He has the talent but the brain I have doubts.

Back