Ryan Jack today Opinions?

sneddon38

I was gobsmacked he got the sponsors MOTM. I thought he was part of our problem today for the first 60 mins. What is everyone’s opinion?

For me personally, he’s never being anything more than a tidy, move it back or sideways type SPFL player. I appreciate we need players like that, to a certain degree. To keep improving and challenging for the league and cups on a regular basis, we need more than that from our midfielders.

Brilliant performance today. Broke play up and was all over the field. The only thing he didn't do was score - despite some nice runs. The break from defence right up their 18 yard line was something I'd never seen him do.

Well worth man of the match.

Not sure what game the OP was watching.

Solid. Nothing more, nothing less.

His distribution at times can be awful - especially simple balls into feet.

Broke up play when asked to, takes up good positions in more attacking areas only for his pass or decision making to let him down.

Got caught out a few times but was also physically solid when he needed to be in a challenge.

I'll be hoping for a better player in there moving forward. Good squad player.

Brilliant performance today. Broke play up and was all over the field. The only thing he didn't do was score - despite some nice runs. The break from defence right up their 18 yard line was something I'd never seen him do.

Well worth man of the match.

Not sure what game the OP was watching.
I thought it was extremely poor in the first half. When Livingston were attacking it was all going through his area. I just didn’t rate him today but everyone has different opinions.

I thought he played quite well and he largely done what he was on the park to do in terms of breaking up their play. I don't think he lost much that was in his area of the park.

Tidy enough without doing anything to get too excited about. Would like to see him continue to drive forward a bit more but he is good at maintaining posession.

Thought he had a good game. Strong in the tackle winning majority of his battles, calm on the ball, unlucky not to get the break of the ball after that fantastic run in the first half. Was up there for me.

Always was happy to take the ball, and keep it moving over.

If the creative players had been at it all game, Jack would have done his usual solid performance and 7-8/10 and nobody would have noticed. So think that is saying about how we played in large parts of the game today. On that 3-0 on a poor performance, will take that all day. ;)

He was very good today (as were Goldson and McAuley, which perhaps tells you that it was a tough game; and Morelos was outstanding for the half hour he was on). I would hate to have seen how poor our midfield would have been today had it not been for Jack keeping a semblance of order in there.

He’s excellent at breaking up play and getting his tackles in but he really struggles with the possession side of things IMO. He doesn’t take the ball from the centre halves enough and when he does he always plays sideways or backwards.

There is definitely a place for him in our squad but I’d like to see us try and improve the position in the medium to long term.

Solid. Nothing more, nothing less.

His distribution at times can be awful - especially simple balls into feet.

Broke up play when asked to, takes up good positions in more attacking areas only for his pass or decision making to let him down.

Got caught out a few times but was also physically solid when he needed to be in a challenge.

I'll be hoping for a better player in there moving forward. Good squad player.
Distribution awful? wtf are u on about

Midfield was the worst part of the team today. I thought we struggled in there and allowed Livingston a criminal amount of space TBH.

McAuley would've been my MOTM. Thought Coulibaly did well when he came on too.

I was gobsmacked he got the sponsors MOTM. I thought he was part of our problem today for the first 60 mins. What is everyone’s opinion?

Not according to Tom Miller & Shuggie Burns, they thought he held the team together.? I turn the sound down, as i couldn't listen to them any longer.
Both of them talk absolute mince, when there on together.

Disagree, he was excellent. He kept it tidy, passed well and was always available. Their midfield were on to him straight away and gave him no time at all, yet he found space and a Rangers player. Worthy MOTM in my opinion from a game without many to chose from.
I would tend to agree with this is not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination but would he be a starter in previous title winning teams? Would he be a starter in the scums current team? It's all about opinions I suppose he wasn't bad today but wasn't outstanding as some are making out. For me he doesn't influence games enough

Last edited:
Good first half. Pretty anonymous second half. One of ejaria's poorer performances for us today - I like him, he's clearly a talented footballer, but we need more from him. Very rarely scores or assists, I'm still not entirely sure what sort of midfielder he is yet.

He was our best central midfielder by a long shot with Arfield and Ejaria fairly anonymous 2nd half

Hard as nails in the tackle and regularly driving us forward when we were sitting too deep.

Alongside Goldson and Morelos, Jack was one of our best performers today

He’s excellent at breaking up play and getting his tackles in but he really struggles with the possession side of things IMO. He doesn’t take the ball from the centre halves enough and when he does he always plays sideways or backwards.

There is definitely a place for him in our squad but I’d like to see us try and improve the position in the medium to long term.

He's the type of player who would play well with a quality midfielder who can dictate the pace of the game, and create chances for others.

It was essential that we had a strong central midfielder today who could be relied upon to match the Livi midfielders. That was Ryan Jack’s job today and I thought that he handled it well.

They stopped him taking the ball from the CH's. They never pressed right away on to the CH's leaving two on Jack.

Jack had his usual 7.5/10 game. Tackles well is physical and burst forward a few times.

Him Arfield and Coulibally for Thursday.

Struggling to work out what game it is that the people that think Jack had a bad game today were watching. First half he was by far the best player on the park. He doesn't have the most glamorous of roles but he plays it well but in the first half he was driving us forward at times too.

Back