Ryan Jack today Opinions?

I'm not Jack's biggest fan, but I can't be too critical of any player last night given the fact we played 45 mins with 10 men.

I do however demand that Jack turns up for the big matches that come thick and fast, culminating on 29th Dec. With one or two exceptions, he's not turned up on the bigger stages and that needs to change.

It’s the same lot that would tell you Edu & Hemdani were useless

They probably slated Stuart McCall as well
Edu was a midfielder who couldn't pass the ball.... and there was a reason Hemdani didn't feature much under Smith.

McCall was a cracking player.

Jack has someway to go to prove he's worthy of a regular midfield berth.

Pass completion stats aren't enough, it's about making the right pass with the right weight and direction. A sideways pass where you could have played a decisive ball forward or where the receiver has to check his run can both be classed as complete, but they are not good passes.

I hate pass completion stats. It's very Warburton. I don't expect Jack to be carving teams open, but it would be interesting to see how many times a chance has been created within 3-4 passes after a Ryan Jack ball, that would indicate if his play is incisive or purely retention.

Edu was a midfielder who couldn't pass the ball.... and there was a reason Hemdani didn't feature much under Smith.

McCall was a cracking player.

Jack has someway to go to prove he's worthy of a regular midfield berth.

Pass completion stats aren't enough, it's about making the right pass with the right weight and direction. A sideways pass where you could have played a decisive ball forward or where the receiver has to check his run can both be classed as complete, but they are not good passes.

I hate pass completion stats. It's very Warburton. I don't expect Jack to be carving teams open, but it would be interesting to see how many times a chance has been created within 3-4 passes after a Ryan Jack ball, that would indicate if his play is incisive or purely retention.

His function is to patrol the midfield and spoil opposition attacks. Not to create chances. As for the in 3-4 passes thing, that’s not really in his control.
Same for Edu btw

THought Jack played well, impressed me with his ability to actually run at folk and find space, something I haven't really noticed him do before.

Not Jacks biggest fan.

He was great midweek but in games like today its almost pointless him playing.

Sideway passing, slows he game down, no drive or final ball.

THought Jack played well, impressed me with his ability to actually run at folk and find space, something I haven't really noticed him do before.
He has had more freedom the last two games

I still think he is our best midfielder and has been very unlucky with injuries, lucky he did not get another today after being tackled round the neck.

Jack doesn't offer nearly enough going forward....he looks like he's going to get a nosebleed when he gets into the final third.

Really like Jack in the midfield when Arfield also playing. Doesn’t suit having ejaria and coulibaly in there.

One thing I have noticed is that he’s very one footed. Always putting ball onto his right

It was between him and Arfield for my MoM

I think the problem with peoples perception of Ryan Jack is that they don't understand the role he plays, it's vital but doesn't look pretty, but he does it very well.

You only realise it when he's missing and teams stroll through the middle of us with ease.

Back